PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Boots

rumbler
12-26-2006, 13:19
How do you fit your boots? I normally wear a 9-9.5 in shoes, and buy my hiking boots as 10's.

I cruised into a store in town that fits running shoes, a shop highly recommended as they take into consideration not only the size of your foot but how you walk (pronation, ect) and surprisingly walked out with a pair of 10.5's. LOTS of toe room. I was squeezing the front of the shoe to see where my toes were, and the sales gal told me not to even worry with that traditional measuring test.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I find these 10.5's very comfortable, and will probably bump up to that in my hiking boots as well. I don't really bang my foot in the 10's, but I think I'm ready to give the 10.5's a shot.

So how much more room to you give yourself in hiking boots over what a traditional shoe measurement would indicate?

Footslogger
12-26-2006, 13:31
How do you fit your boots? I normally wear a 9-9.5 in shoes, and buy my hiking boots as 10's.

I cruised into a store in town that fits running shoes, a shop highly recommended as they take into consideration not only the size of your foot but how you walk (pronation, ect) and surprisingly walked out with a pair of 10.5's. LOTS of toe room. I was squeezing the front of the shoe to see where my toes were, and the sales gal told me not to even worry with that traditional measuring test.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I find these 10.5's very comfortable, and will probably bump up to that in my hiking boots as well. I don't really bang my foot in the 10's, but I think I'm ready to give the 10.5's a shot.

So how much more room to you give yourself in hiking boots over what a traditional shoe measurement would indicate?

============================================

Definitely NOT the final word in boot fitting ...but I got pretty good at it during 5 years working for an outfitter.

First off ...numerical size is just a starting point. Footwear is made in so many places nowadays that the once reliable "standardization" of sizing is really a thing of the past.

The method I evolved into and used successufully for many years was the 1 - 2 finger method. Find a pair of boots/shoes you like and loosen the laces. Drive your foot forward as far as it will go (eg total toejam). Take your fingers and place them between the back of the heel and the inside of the heel cup of the footwear. You should have at least one (1) finger and no more than two (2) fingers of space.

The above works well as long as your foot does not elongate or migrate forward during a stride. For that reason ...a good footbed is/should be a standard part of the hiking footwear purchase (IMHO). Bottom line is that footwear is designed for the "masses" or high percentage of the population. A good footbed allows you to tweak the footwear to your personal foot characteristics. The analogy I always used with customers/hikers was the tires on your car. Would you buy 4 new tires for your car and then have them mounted WITHOUT high speed balancing ?? If your answer to that question is YES, then disregard my comments regarding footbeds all together.

'Slogger

emerald
12-27-2006, 01:54
One of the Limmers told me the same thing about fitting boots. Push your toes against the boot's toe and there should be room for a finger between your heel and the boot's heel. That space prevents abuse of your toes on steep descents.

rafe
12-27-2006, 02:00
One of the Limmers told me the same thing about fitting boots. Push your toes against the boot's toe and there should be room for a finger between your heel and the boot's heel. That space prevents abuse of your toes on steep descents.

One test I've heard suggested is to kick something hard with your boots. If there's any pain or discomfort in the toes when you do this, then the fit isn't right.

The conventional wisdom has always been to have lots of room for the toes. I've never heard anything to the contrary, in fact. I'd never take home a pair of boots that didn't fit that criteria.

RAT
12-27-2006, 02:02
Good outfitters have a steep ramp built to simulate steep descent/ascent so you can drive your foot forward and not only check for clearance (not only needed for steep descents but for foot swelling which commonly occurs in the first two weeks of a thru hike) but also to see how it feels on your foot. The thickness and type of sock used will affect this as well as many different lacing techniques used to take pressure off certain areas when hiking. These techniques really made a difference in my boots and my feet now love me for it ;)

RAT

copythat
12-27-2006, 02:05
============================================

Definitely NOT the final word in boot fitting ...but I got pretty good at it during 5 years working for an outfitter ...

The above works well as long as your foot does not elongate or migrate forward during a stride.

A good footbed allows you to tweak the footwear to your personal foot characteristics. 'Slogger

ok, migrating feet i think i've got down, but my kids will tell you i'm kinda dense ... what's it mean that a foot elongates?

and how can footwear be tweaked? (sounds cool. whatever it is.)

oh yeah, and ... what about the warning to never buy shoes in the morning before your feet swell/spread/whatever?

tnx.

Footslogger
12-27-2006, 10:10
[quote=copythat;292469]ok, migrating feet i think i've got down, but my kids will tell you i'm kinda dense ... what's it mean that a foot elongates?

and how can footwear be tweaked? (sounds cool. whatever it is.)

================================================

Elongation (at least as it relates to footwear) is a fancy shmancy word that describes the lengthening of the foot due to partial/full collapse of the arch over time, due to poor arch support.

Tweaking of footwear is about taking up the extra room in the shoe/boot and holding the foot in place during a stride. A good footbed provides a solid "cup" for the heel and stabilizes the foot during the plant and follow-through.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

moondoggy
12-27-2006, 11:00
This is really good, and timely, information. I'm shopping the clearences for a new pair of boots/shoes....
How do you guys feel about those Superfeet liners?
I've heard from a friend of mine that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread....I personally haven't had a whole 'lotta luck using liners in my shoes, but I always bought the drugstore version....

Footslogger
12-27-2006, 11:22
[quote=moondoggy;292535]This is really good, and timely, information. I'm shopping the clearences for a new pair of boots/shoes....
How do you guys feel about those Superfeet liners?

===================================

I wouldn't hike without them. That said ...they are NOT for everyone. SuperFeet are not "cushioned" insoles and for that reason some hikers find them more rigid than expected. The principle behind the SuperFeet is heel stabilization and arch support. We are all born with natural padding under the foot but with our own weight and the added weight of a backpack that padding is compressed and thinnned out considerably. One thing a SuperFeet does is to "cup" the heel somewhat and concentrate the natural padding of the heel rather than allowing it to spread and thin out under the weight. It also keeps the heel in place so that you get a firm "strike" and smooth follow-through, without excess foot movement or elongation.

'Slogger

TickPicker
12-27-2006, 11:42
Last time I got fit for a pair of hikers I was at Walasi-Yi and he sold me a pair of solomon's with a pair of superfeet inserts. I experienced no problems with my feet whatsoever but I tended to have high arches and the superfeet supported them.

Tickpicker

copythat
12-27-2006, 20:01
Elongation (at least as it relates to footwear) is a fancy shmancy word that describes the lengthening of the foot due to partial/full collapse of the arch over time, due to poor arch support.

Tweaking of footwear is about taking up the extra room in the shoe/boot and holding the foot in place during a stride. A good footbed provides a solid "cup" for the heel and stabilizes the foot during the plant and follow-through.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

yes, it helps a LOT! i always felt intimidated when looking for boots, thinking i should already know more about the process when i went in and more about my own fit, etc., to the extent that i have yet to buy any boots because i've been afraid to make a mistake. (and i always wondered whether to trust the advice of the kids in the shoe department ...). now i feel more confident. think i'll go shopping.

Footslogger
12-27-2006, 20:05
yes, it helps a LOT! i always felt intimidated when looking for boots, thinking i should already know more about the process when i went in and more about my own fit, etc., to the extent that i have yet to buy any boots because i've been afraid to make a mistake. (and i always wondered whether to trust the advice of the kids in the shoe department ...). now i feel more confident. think i'll go shopping.

======================================

If you can ...get your boots at a store/outfitter that has a good returns policy. Take em home and wear em around inside for a week or two at differnt times of the day, up and down stairs. By then you should know if they are right for you.

'Slogger

wallace
12-28-2006, 17:13
I started to look for a pair of low boots or trail runners to use for section hikes this spring. I am having trouble finding shoes in stock with wide widths.

First, I live in NJ outside of Philadelphia. I went to Cabellas and there were so many people there that it was impossible to get any help. This place catered more to the heavy camper than the hiker. I then went to Nesters in PA. I had read about them in an online article. The article quoted their "boot fitter" but the staff I encounted was inexperienced general retail help. This past weekend, I went to REI, EMS, and LL Bean. The EMS outlet only had one pair in wide and the person available to help me was inexperienced and not very helpful. LL Bean said they did not stock any wide sizes though they were available to order from their catalog. REI had the best selection of shoes, and I was able to get someone who was knowlegable and helpful. (although not at first). The problem was, they did not stock the wide sizes. I tried on several shoes that ran on the wide side even though they were not 'W' sized. A pair of Keen trailrunners felt close but I was not 100% sure if they were the ones.

I've now gone to 5 places and only one with a knowlegable person. It seems like my only option to find wide shoes is to order multiple pairs on line, pay for all the shipping, and then return the ones that don't work. This could easily add up.

Any suggestions?

Footslogger
12-28-2006, 17:24
Been a while ...but I know that REI inventory in the USA is now on-line and can be checked by a customer service rep in any store.

If I needed wide footwear I would find out which manufactures actually produced variable width footwear and then have REI bring them in for you to try on.

At one time, Vasque was about the only maker of boots (there are more in the shoe realm) that made boots labelled "W" for wide feet. Some manufactures use wider lasts than others and their boots just happen to fit wider feet.

Another thought is that a trained and knowledgeable footwear rep can use a boot bar to stretch and soften the leather. When I fitted footwear I and a customer had a bunion on the great toe or a tender spot on the small toe I often used a boot bar and created a little extra room for them.

In the end you might have to just follow your own thought and order some to your home to try on and then return the ones that don't fit. But I would try the REI approach first.

'Slogger

Peaks
12-28-2006, 19:58
I started to look for a pair of low boots or trail runners to use for section hikes this spring. I am having trouble finding shoes in stock with wide widths.

First, I live in NJ outside of Philadelphia.

I've now gone to 5 places and only one with a knowlegable person. It seems like my only option to find wide shoes is to order multiple pairs on line, pay for all the shipping, and then return the ones that don't work. This could easily add up.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried Campmor in Northern NJ?

wallace
12-28-2006, 20:13
Haven't tried it. It is a several hour drive. It is a good idea though and I might just give it a try.
Thanks.

rafe
12-28-2006, 20:22

Look for New Balance and/or Dunham -- they cater to wide feet. (I wear 4EE widths.) Campmor carries both, or look for a New Balance outlet store near you. I've had good luck with NB 991s.

Slosteppin
12-29-2006, 08:19
Been a while ...but I know that REI inventory in the USA is now on-line and can be checked by a customer service rep in any store.

In the end you might have to just follow your own thought and order some to your home to try on and then return the ones that don't fit. But I would try the REI approach first.

'Slogger

If you do order several sizes have them sent to the nearest REI store. This way you don't pay the shipping. The clerk will help make sure they fit or not.

Slosteppin

micromega
12-29-2006, 09:55
many different lacing techniques used to take pressure off certain areas when hiking.
RAT

I'd be curious to hear more about the lacing techniques. I recently did a section hike thru CT, wearing my old Asolo boots. Never had a problem with them and they fit me well, but this time my feet weren't in 'boot-shape' (which is a diplomatic way of saying they'd gone city-soft). By the third day I'd developed pain in achilles tendon at back of both ankles and I tried to compensate by changing the lacing. The only thing that I was able to do which helped at all was loosen the ankle section, bu that resulted in my feet sliding forward on the descents. I completed the section that way, but ended with three black toenails...

Footslogger
12-29-2006, 10:03
[quote=micromega;293732]I'd be curious to hear more about the lacing techniques.

=====================================

Here is one helpful link:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=482

'Slogger

Old Grouse
12-29-2006, 11:43
I'd also recommend driving up to Campmor. I'm now a firm believer in shopping at a store that carries lots of choices. The downside to a single-brand store is that their shoes may not be just right for you. And that's true even if you've had good luck with that brand or style in the past. Their products can change. Your feet can change too, especially after that lady in the Hummer runs over your toes in the parking lot.

Don't shop for shoes when you're in a hurry. Don't hesitate to make that sales clerk work for the sale. And as stated earlier, wear your purchase around the house a while to make sure of your choice, free of that cute sales clerk's charms. If they're wrong, take 'em back and start over.

Mother's Finest
12-29-2006, 16:06
wallace,
I would try the brand Meindl. they are made with a very oblique toe box area (read wide and square). They are also made with an extremely high quality cork footbed. You can order a pair from Cabelas, they call it their "Perfekt Hiker". As to the size, the best example I can give you is from me. I wear a 9.5 EE running shoe from Brooks, the Beast. In the Meindl boot, I first ordered a 9EE, because it is normal to have a larger size shoe in running shoes. Ended up with an 8.5 EE, as the 9 was too large.

These are easily the best fitting, most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I do wear them with custom orthotics.

Other than cabela's, not sure of another source in the states. There are outfitters in Canada that carry them. They make boots for everything from light hiking to the heaviest mountaineering possible.

peace
mf