PDA

View Full Version : Then the Hail Came

woodsy
12-26-2006, 13:36
Found this on-line read in WB archives from 2002. Some of you are familiar with it and some may not be. If you haven't had a look, check it out, a AT thru hikers story, looks like some good winter reading.
http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 14:48
It's a great read, and the author seems to have quite a sense of humor. I try to read the appropriate chapter before each section hike. I probably need a life, but I get a kick out of contrasting Earl Schaeffer's experience, the comments in "Then The Hail Came" and what I find as I hike around.

Sly
12-26-2006, 15:02
Still my favorite AT "journal" I've read it several times. I'm surprised it's never been published in book form.

woodsy
12-26-2006, 15:18
It's a great read, and the author seems to have quite a sense of humor. I try to read the appropriate chapter before each section hike. I probably need a life, but I get a kick out of contrasting Earl Schaeffer's experience, the comments in "Then The Hail Came" and what I find as I hike around.

Still my favorite AT "journal" I've read it several times. I'm surprised it's never been published in book form.

The above comments are quite similar to the comments found in the thread where this story was originally posted. My kind of writer too, it's almost as though you are actually there with his form of descriptive writing and style.
I would think it would be a great read for anyone contemplating a thru hike or sections as the writer doesn't seem to miss any of the geography along the way.

rafe
12-26-2006, 16:24
"I awoke this morning in a bed, feeling great. After that, the day went quickly downhill."

Yeah, that sounds about right. ;)

I've got it bookmarked, thanks for that link.

bigmontana
12-26-2006, 17:03
I read it once too. It's a great read which takes the reader through the battle of a thru. His sense of humor is wonderful. If someone would take this book on and do some touch-up editing, it would be an excellent paperback. I'd buy two.

I think all AT journal writers should aspire to make their tales this entertaining. Most are extremely dry.

prozac
12-26-2006, 20:19
Definately one of the better thruhike journals.

woodsy
12-26-2006, 21:48
An excerpt from Ice water spring shelter near Davenport Gap, chapter 3:

I created a new soap opera tonight: "The Young and the Senseless." It is the daily saga of dashing young men and women who were sitting around in warm, clean, dry houses and eating good food, when they said, "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail?" Today's episode features young, devilishly handsome George wringing muddy water from his socks in the hope that they will merely be damp when he wears them the following day. Tune in tomorrow for another episode of "The Young and the Senseless."

And ain't that the way most adventures start.

TJ aka Teej
12-26-2006, 22:39
http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

A classic. Heard about way back in the early days of the at-l and Kathy Bilton's AT site. Glad to see it has a home on the web.

ed bell
12-27-2006, 00:32
First AT journal I ever read. One of my favorites. Funny thing that it was on a computer screen. I thought I was older than that.:)

Mr. Clean
12-27-2006, 05:54
I bookmarked it for later as well. Thanks.