PDA

View Full Version : New Hostel in Maryland

Bone Pac
12-26-2006, 23:10
It is with great anticipation (and some anxiety) that I announce to you all the opening of our new hiker hostel for the 2007 season. Since completing my thru this past year my wife and I decided to embark on another adventure. We sold our house and moved next to the trail (well, 0.3 miles off the trail) to open The Free State Hiker. You should find us in the 2007 Companion and probably Wingfoot's book.

It's development can be tracked at www.trailjournals.com/kenberry (http://www.trailjournals.com/kenberry)

We look forward to meeting and laughing with all the folks that pass through!

-Bone Pac

Jack Tarlin
12-26-2006, 23:18
Am expecting my Companion to arrive any day. Am interested in reading about your place....best of luck and have a great first season!!

stumpknocker
12-26-2006, 23:23
Sorry Bone Pac, I have to stay away from you. You made me fall twice last year. Ha!!! :)

I fall down faster when I get around you than I do after drinking too much brown whiskey. :eek:

Good luck with the hostel.

Too bad we missed each other last month. I was looking forward to seeing your place.

Frosty
12-26-2006, 23:27
Don't make us wait for the Companion! Can you give us the details? Where, etc?

rafe
12-26-2006, 23:30
Chances are I'll be passing your way next summer. But.... how many nights does a thru-hiker spend in Maryland, anyway???

TJ aka Teej
12-26-2006, 23:36
It's on a country road in Washington County, about .3 off the trail and not far from the Ensign Cornwall Shelter

Teej < reading Bone Pac's trailhournal backwards

Pacific Tortuga
12-26-2006, 23:45
Chances are I'll be passing your way next summer. But.... how many nights does a thru-hiker spend in Maryland, anyway???

More than I expected, my mobile HQ in Baltimore will have a new baby residing in it and I may need to spend more time away from there. How far are you from Baltimore and when do you open ?

Jack Tarlin
12-26-2006, 23:53
Terrapin:

You're right, people aren't in Maryland very long, but the lodging options (i.e. indoor ones) between Waynesboro VA and Duncannon PA are quite limited: Most folks don't stay at the lodges in Shenandoah Park; I'm not sure if the Hostel near Compton Gap will be open next year; many people skip Front Royal, and many folks can't afford to pay for a motel in Harpers Ferry. Other than the AYH Hostel near Harpers, there really isn't anywhere reasonably priced to overnight (indoors) for quite a distance; I can't think of anywhere reasonably priced and close to the Trail in Maryland or Southern PA (the motels and B&B's in such places as Waynesboro PA or Boiling Springs are over-priced). There really isn't much til you get to the Hostel in Pine Grove, which is a long way.

In short, a good hostel in Maryland could probably do well, especially if folks have been going thru a rough patch (rain or excessive heat) when they get there.

emerald
12-27-2006, 00:00

I just happened to be reading Ken's journal last night, hence finding what you wanted was easy for me. Frosty and whoever else wants to go straight to the information, click here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=154263) and keep clicking next.

rafe
12-27-2006, 00:04
Well, Maryland is more or less smack-dab in the middle of next years' section, so I'm very interested in all the scuttlebutt and all possible lodging / resupply options. I'm taking notes...

ARambler
12-27-2006, 00:23
Bears Den Hostel to Blackburn Center to Harpers Hostel are basically like taking an extra zero day, so one or two of these is more the norm. As Jack says, this section could easily use another Hostel.
Rambler

Frosty
12-27-2006, 00:27
I just happened to be reading Ken's journal last night, hence finding what you wanted was easy for me. Frosty and whoever else wants to go straight to the information, click here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=154263) and keep clicking next.Thank you, sir!

veteran
12-27-2006, 11:17

Here is a MAP (http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A=EnsignCow&z=large&l=8&T=39.62771&N=-77.55793&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT) of the area.

TOPO MAP (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.62771&lon=-77.55793&s=200&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG) of the area.

Fannypack
12-27-2006, 15:34

found this info about Bone pac's hostel:
see post: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157182

also continuing reading the posts after the one above to get the latest greatest info concerning this hostel....:sun

Bone Pac, u are going way beyond the call of duty by providing the facilities that u are providing. I just hope that u have enuff hikers show u and your family respect for your facilities and your efforts... NOTE: many hostels exist along the AT that at some point become overrun by thoughtless and unappreciative "visitors"... The best of luck with your endeavor. i.e., your family's endeavor.

emerald
12-27-2006, 16:23
The link just posted is 1 next click from the link I posted earlier. If you want to see the link I posted, click previous. Except for what I just pointed out, you'll be looking at the same information regardless of which link you follow.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2006, 16:26
$30 for a bunkroom is high.

Jack Tarlin
12-27-2006, 16:46
The great thing about facilities on or near the Trail is that use of them by hikers is entirely voluntary.

Lone Wolf is entirely correct in stating that the $30.00 listed figure is somewhat higher than what other places charge for similar services, but then again, nobody has yet seen this facility, its features, or its amenities. It sure sounds like they're creating a very nice place. Some hostels, in my opinion, charge too little for what they offer to hikers. A few charge too much. In the end, the individual hiker can decide for themself whether or not they require the service offered, and whether or not it's "worth it." And this is how it should be.

Frosty
12-27-2006, 17:21
$30 may seem a bit high, but it isn't nearly what I'd charge if I were to run a hostel. Which I'm not. Hopefully by charging up front, he can avoid the folks who scoff at hostel owners who put out a donation box and skip.

What I like is that it is close to the trail, and he says he'll have bikes to ride into Smithsburg (there is a Food Lion there). It's been a long long time since I did the section between Harpers Ferry and Duncannon, but I recall carrying a LOT of food.

Trillium
12-27-2006, 22:10
$30 may seem high on the face of it but Bone Pac is encountering a lot of start up costs (site plan, traffic study, permits, paint, wood, wiring, licensing, etc, etc, etc) that will have to be amortized over a heck of a lot of hikers before they will start to make any money. Likely a lot of the older hostels didn't have near the start up costs that he is facing due to the need of government to ensure safety of society, balance budgets (and so fees are increased for plan review, etc) and the litigiousness of our society.

Looks like an exciting venture. In order to do this you have to be a risk-taker. Good luck Bone Pac. I'm routing for your venture to succeed.

superfly-SY
12-28-2006, 14:31
Goint thru CT I spent $65 for a night in a dive. I didn't care though. I was in such poor spirits I just needed a short period to regroup. The next day I was great and banged out a 28 miler. $30 for a nice stay in Maryland is a bargain if you ask me.

Bone Pac
01-09-2007, 17:55
The hostels that I experienced on my hike offered a variety of services and supplies for the hikers. I hope to provide free high speed internet, free long distance, bikes for shuttle, snacks, air hockey, etc. I am very interested in what folks appreciated the most on the trail. What would you like to see provided in an up-and-coming hostel? (I gorged myself with sodas and peanut butter cups every chance I got and didn't like TVs) Any opinions?

rafe
01-09-2007, 18:03
Make it not smell like a hiker hostel :) .. that'd be a great start !!!

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 18:14
I highly suggest NOT allowing alcohol or smoking on premises.

Programbo
01-13-2007, 21:59
It is with great anticipation (and some anxiety) that I announce to you all the opening of our new hiker hostel for the 2007 season. Since completing my thru this past year my wife and I decided to embark on another adventure. We sold our house and moved next to the trail (well, 0.3 miles off the trail) to open The Free State Hiker.

I don`t know..Those bunks remind me of the Heaven`s Gate compound :p ..Just teasing...It looks wonderful...Where exactly is it located?....I take day hikes up on the AT at various points in Maryland about every other weekend..I know there used to be an AYH up the hill from Sandy Hook..I remember staying in it once way back in the mid 70`s ..I had gone to the old Weaverton Shelter and it was empty and kinda gloomy and I was lonely so I packed up and walked the mile or so up to Sandy Hook and paid whatever it cost to stay there at the hostel and wouldn`t you know it..I was the only one there that night!

freefall
01-13-2007, 23:03
The hostels that I experienced on my hike offered a variety of services and supplies for the hikers. I hope to provide free high speed internet, free long distance, bikes for shuttle, snacks, air hockey, etc. I am very interested in what folks appreciated the most on the trail. What would you like to see provided in an up-and-coming hostel? (I gorged myself with sodas and peanut butter cups every chance I got and didn't like TVs) Any opinions?

These all sound like awsome ideas and would justify the rate I saw earlier. Some libraries are leary of letting hikers upload pictures on their computers so high speed is great, not to metion updating the Ipod with new tunes. I didn't watch TV while hiking but did like being able to watch movies and trail documentaries. (The documentaries helped re-invigorate me. When I got to Erwin, I was a little down because I wasn't keeping up my pace. Watching a couple of the AT flicks at Miss Janets helped get me get the right mindset back.)
One idea for letting people update their MP3 players legally but without subjecting yourself to a potentially high credit card bill is Itunes. They sell cards at Walgreens and other retailers in $25 and $50 increments. You could keep one or two of these on hand and sell them to hikers. Once the card is used up, no more downloads. Some of the other companies might do this but I'm an Apple user and like the Itunes setup.
Ice cream(before the half-gallon challenge) and sodas were my big cravings in town. Having treats like these for purchase would be great. At work, we picked up an old Pepsi machine(it has the door on it you open to get to the sodas) for next to nothing. We charge .50 a can and the money goes towards resupplying the machine as well as paying for cookouts, Christmas parties, etc...
Only other things I can think of- bulk fuel for white gas and alcohol users, board games, card games and perhaps a clothes line for drying out wet gear that can't go in a dryer.
Good luck on your new adventure and hope to see you my next time through MD!

Bone Pac
01-14-2007, 21:31
Thanks for the feedback. What are the most popular snacks to have on hand? I bought Cokes and Dews every chance I got and of course the afore mentioned Reeses cups.

One thing about hiking so early I was alone much of the time, especially in towns, thus I never really saw what others craved. Thanks.

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 00:59
For snacks think sweet and salty. Ice cream is wonderful. Besides cold soda and ice cream, fresh fruit, fruit juice, and vegetables are what I craved going into a town.

rafe
01-15-2007, 01:19
Tater, you hit all the high points. OTOH, would a rare prime rib be asking too much? :)

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2007, 15:42
Only on a thru-hike would I consider a whole prime rib a snack, but now that you mention it....

Bone Pac
01-27-2007, 15:57
Bookworm stopped in today and will be staying with us tonight! Our first hiker at the Free State! He left Springer 10/1/06. I don't much care for the dancing bananna but this deserves one . . . no . . . two.

:banana:banana

-Bone Pac

Topcat
01-27-2007, 17:47
Congrats on your first paying customer. I am sure you will have many, many more.

Johnny Appleseed
01-28-2007, 16:39
Hiker Food Box. For sale: combos-big package-lots of calories. King size candy bars. Bagels-in freezer. Peanut Butter, Ramens, Liptons- rice and pasta sides, instant oatmeal. Nuts of all types. 1 litre water bottles of any drink. Duck tape, fascial scissors. Mohawk cutters?? AA and AAA batteries, high quality 35 mm film-800speed did much better than 400speed in '06 for me. Stove fuels-jet boil size and bigger size as well as alcohol. bio-degrade soap, frozen pizzas, ice cream, fruit, nutty butter desserts. That is the range of what I get anyways. Johnny Appleseed '06 2Kmiler :-?

Johnny Appleseed
01-28-2007, 16:42
Oh my, I forgot Idahoan Instant Mashed Potatoes!! -Flovored not plain style-or some other brand. betty crocker, hungry jack, etc.

emerald
01-28-2007, 17:01
Oh my, I forgot Idahoan Instant Mashed Potatoes!!

You really need to hook up with headchange4u. You'd get along swimmingly. Go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16190).;);) :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2007, 17:35
Bone Pac:

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, here's what I like to see in hostels:

*Large clean bathrooms with good water pressure in the showers
*Laundry facilities
*Places to tent for those who don't like sleeping in bunkrooms
*More than one common area; if there's only one, and everyone in it
wants to watch some horrible movie, those that aren't interested are
outta luck
*Telephone availability
*Razors, shampoos, etc.
*A fridge/freeze, with LOTS of ice in it
*Real coffee!!
*Extra clothes for guests, so when a hiker does their laundry, they can
clean EVERYTHING for once
*Internet service would be great
*A Fire Pit of some sort out back
*Maybe a grill in case people wanted to have a cookout or communal dinner
*An outdoor sink/hose to clean gear, shoes, etc.
*Laundry lines out back for hanging/airing out bags, tents, etc.

Just a few ideas......

rafe
01-28-2007, 17:46
Re: Msg. #35. Sounds dreamy, Jack. I think I'd settle for a coin-op washer and dryer somewhere within walking distance, and a bunkroom that doesn't stink.

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2007, 17:56
Not dreamy at all. The best Trail hostels, like Miss Janet's; Kincora; Glencliff; the Cabin in Andover have a lot of these features, and a few places have almost all of them.

I wish Bone Pac lots of luck on his new place and I look forward to seeing it later this summer!

SawnieRobertson
01-28-2007, 21:18
This should be very helpful for those of who hope to hike to the Gathering (or, of course, up to the point where we hope we'll get a ride the rest of the way to Gettysburg). I'll be a-saving up and will see you then.--Kinnickinic

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 22:15
dear bonepac, mrs pac and miss bone pac jr, you will follow my instructions to the letter!
hammocks not bunks.homeade and passive solar assisted hot water heater on roof.gutter rainwater collection into barrels and gravity fed to outside washsink. compost pile.recycleing cans.no signs anywhere showing where things are and telling what to do. one sign only at entrance tells all in small print, once.preprinted maps to nearest hospital in holder on outside front door.no alluminum or scratched teflon pots or old silver where. kitchen if any , need only have knife and large plastic bowels and cutting board. no glass or papergoods. hiker box should be away from hostle and close to house private area .board games and crappy books no. chess and nature / hiking books. scrabble and only a few chooice games. not piles of clutter and free crap all over. think cleanability. less items overall. food for sale should offer veg and carn diets but only the most carfully stocked small shed. not a store or food in the house. just a tin shed and a lock. copy standing bears store but not the prices.

minnesotasmith
01-29-2007, 00:21
Why the hammocks? Lots of us have never slept in one. I'd expect to be happier with a thick plastic-coated mattress to sleep on.

mweinstone
02-01-2007, 17:40
i never have either but im thinking about the ease of cleaning and the better light and you can see the floor to find things not to mention use the floor for other things. i see a world of nomadic wanderability. the days of beds are numbered! turn off your heat america its killing us!

this rant paid for by the irs.in proude corporate sponsorship of the matthewski for no heat foundation.

Lyle
05-09-2007, 13:15
Jack's list sounds fantastic, but also like A LOT of work for the hostel owner. How are hikers at cleaning up after themselves, pitching in with preparing the facilities for the next evening's group? I haven't seen much of that in my limited recent stays at hostels. Maybe the better established hostels, that offer all these services have come up with a method to spread out the work a bit.

When I did my cross-country trip, it was part of a group, and we would organize ahead of time, and take turns being on the "clean-up" crew. They would leave any overnight facility we used last, and make certain that floors were swept, tables/chairs but back where they were found, trash removed, and no gross messes in the restrooms. This worked well for keeping us welcome at other facilities.

Maybe something like offering a dicount or free stay for those who agree to help clean up each day would save some work for the hostle owner. Kinda like the work for stay arrangement in the AMC Huts. Just a thought, maybe it's already being used.

Jeff
07-22-2007, 12:52
If you are stocking some short term supply items, I would gladly pay for one of those "prepared" salad kits. After a week on the trail I'm craving salads...not candy bars.

Undershaft
04-12-2008, 15:26
If you are stocking some short term supply items, I would gladly pay for one of those "prepared" salad kits. After a week on the trail I'm craving salads...not candy bars.

The salad kits are a great idea. Lots of good comments on your hostel in the shelter registers to the north.