PDA

View Full Version : Question of gloves

jazilla
12-27-2006, 09:37
I am looking for a good pair of gloves rated for somewhere around 20* to 30*. Also not too bulky, restricting movement. Maybe a layering type or something. Any one have any suggestions?

Johnny Swank
12-27-2006, 10:01
Glove typically aren't rated for temperature, as that varies widely with the individual. I ended up using a system of a liner glove, fleece mitten, and Outdoor Research overmitts for winter hiking. You can take off the mitts and leave the glove on when you nned the dexterity, and when the weather warms during the day, ditch the mitts and just use the gloves. It's a bulky setup, but the individual components dry faster if they get wet than a one-piece deal.

As long as I'm moving, just the liner gloves usually work fine.

Fiddleback
12-27-2006, 10:20
I suggest starting off with one of the simplest and cheapest choices; light fleece gloves. I got a REI-branded pair (the kind with palm and finger grips) and was really surprised how well they performed in 'yucck' weather (30s to low-40s, rain and wind). While hiking in such weather the gloves would get soaked but periodically I would make a fist and squeeze the water from the gloves and was pleasantly surprised how my hands would warm up again. In dry and stll weather they keep my hands warm in temps into the single digits (at least for short periods...I don't recall spending all day outside in those temps with these gloves).

I always carry this pair now...my scales says they only weigh 2½ ounces. They're great as a liner glove for more severe weather and they are also part of a somewhat minimal sleep system I practice. I doubt they would stand up to rough work, however.

My gloves cost around $15 but last year when I visited REI to buy another pair I couldn't find the exact style. Those in stock were similar but a little heavier/thicker and a little more expensive.

FB

Ewker
12-27-2006, 10:26
anyone use those windblocker gloves by Manzella. How do those hold up to rain

Johnny Swank
12-27-2006, 10:30
Those windblocker gloves don't do anything about the rain if they're the one with just an internal membrane. In fact, they'll take longer to dry out once they get soaked. They're fine to use, but I'd have a backup solution as well.

rafe
12-27-2006, 10:53
I suggest starting off with one of the simplest and cheapest choices; light fleece gloves.

I'll second that. Works for me.

Beachwalker
12-27-2006, 12:13
Windblocker Gloves: great for wind, useless for rain. They soak up the water, but the comment on squeezing them out is dead on accurate... they'll get warm again, until they soak through again. Personally, I go with windblocking gloves and a shell.

-- BW

Two Speed
12-27-2006, 14:08
Cheapo glove system here. I go the women's section at Target or K-Mart* and pick up some of those cheap arcrylic knit gloves; about $2.00 for two pairs. Then I waited 'til the Galyan's (now Dick's Sporting Goods) put some reasonably good insulated gloves on sale. The insulated gloves have some kind of DWR shell, not the greatest but it works. Selected the insulated gloves just big enough to slip over the knit gloves. Voila! Glove system! And the liners are darn nearly disposable!

*Yep, get plenty of weird looks in the women's department. I just tell 'em I'm picking them up for a g/f, or myself, depending on how much I want to creep someone out. Cheap gloves AND a cheap thrill!

Shutterbug
12-27-2006, 14:47
I am looking for a good pair of gloves rated for somewhere around 20* to 30*. Also not too bulky, restricting movement. Maybe a layering type or something. Any one have any suggestions?

I have always hated to wear gloves, but when I was a pilot in the USAF, I learned to wear flight gloves. They are thick enough to protect your skin, but thin enough that you can still use your fingers. Since I left the Air Force 33 years ago, they have modified the flight gloves to use a combination of leather and Nomex. They aren't cheap, but are worth the price. I buy mine from Amazon.Com:

rtc3457 Sheepskin & NOMEX Flight Gloves, Black, 10

I just checked and they are on sale now:

http://www.amazon.com/rtc3457-Sheepskin-NOMEX-Flight-Gloves/dp/B000H2984U/sr=8-2/qid=1167245191/ref=sr_1_2/103-6782183-3281434?ie=UTF8&s=apparel