PDA

View Full Version : Symms Gap, VA camping intel

BlackCloud
12-27-2006, 09:57
Am looking to hike UP from Pearisburg, camp @ Symms Gap, and exit @ Interior for a nice 2 day, 20 mile winter weekend. It seems that water is scarce up there.

Thoughts on water and campsite locations, if you please.......

Lone Wolf
12-27-2006, 10:06
There's a good spring at a campsite 3.5 miles before Symms Gap.

rafe
12-27-2006, 10:08
There's a good spring at a campsite 3.5 miles before Symms Gap.

That be south of Symms Gap ? Taking notes...

Kerosene
12-27-2006, 17:47
Yes, that is south of Symms Gap, to the right of the trail as you walk northobound. I don't remember any water between there and about half a mile north of Pine Swamp Branch Shelter, halfway down Peters Mountain.

BlackCloud
12-28-2006, 10:09
That's what I was afraid of. Will try to go on a clear day to enjoy the westward views. Thanx............

veteran
01-10-2007, 12:18
From the 06 Companion:

Symms Gap Meadow—The traverse of Peters Mountain along the Virginia–West Virginia state line is a dry one. At this mountain meadow, with views into West Virginia, a small pond is located downhill from the A.T. on the West Virginia side of the ridge, with spots for camping nearby.

thecaptain
01-25-2007, 21:39
new years weekend we day hiked from Pearisburg north on the AT thru simms gap (locals like myself refer to Simms gap as the Wills Fields) to dickerson gap and took the blue blaze down the mountain to Big Stony Creek 14.5 miles....the water locations are as follows:
1. spring right beside the trail 3/4 the way up the mountain
2. like Wolf said water to the right of the trail 20 yards off the trail 3.5 miles before simms gap...you will see a camp sight with fire ring on the left
3. At Simms gap as you walk the field sping on the left....as you top the field nice camping spot on the right you can't miss it
If you need to bail out there is a logging road on the north end of Simms gap field take a right on this road...It will take you to the lower end of Big Stony Creek ...you will come out to some housesl

Hikerhead
01-25-2007, 22:12
new years weekend we day hiked from Pearisburg north on the AT thru simms gap (locals like myself refer to Simms gap as the Wills Fields) to dickerson gap and took the blue blaze down the mountain to Big Stony Creek 14.5 miles....the water locations are as follows:
1. spring right beside the trail 3/4 the way up the mountain
2. like Wolf said water to the right of the trail 20 yards off the trail 3.5 miles before simms gap...you will see a camp sight with fire ring on the left
3. At Simms gap as you walk the field sping on the left....as you top the field nice camping spot on the right you can't miss it
If you need to bail out there is a logging road on the north end of Simms gap field take a right on this road...It will take you to the lower end of Big Stony Creek ...you will come out to some housesl

We hiked up to Simms Gap from 635 a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't sure if we would ever get there. Part of it was a bushwack. Didn't see any other roads coming up the mtn. The grassy rd we finally got on, we walked a long ways on that to get to Simms Gap, don't know where it would have came out if we would have took it down the other way or how long. It took us about 5 hrs to get to Simms Gap with a few stops. You should have came with us The Captain.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/557042372iWVJkG

Kerosene
01-26-2007, 10:01
Remember that Hikerhead is also known as Hokey Pokey on the trail (especially on the uphills!), so you've got to adjust his timing to your pace!

hopetofinish
12-16-2011, 13:49
I know this is an old thread, but interested if anyone is able to update the water situation at Symms Gap Meadow or close by. Considering a hike from Pearisburg to Rt 613 on NY's w/e. Thanks

DAKS
12-16-2011, 18:40
I hiked past there the latter part of sept. i couldn't find any water. if i remember correctly, i got water at a spring south of there as others have mentioned.