PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for your thru?

Blissful
12-27-2006, 22:03
This may be on another forum too but curious to know what other 2007 thru hikers-to-be got for Christmas for their upcoming hikes.
We just returned from NY visiting relatives and I racked up -

a new headlamp
a summer weight down sleeping bag
Smartwool long sleeve top
microfleece pjs (not sure if I will take them or not but they are very light weight and comfy)
a "mail" drop that was sitting outside the door of my parent's house - what fun. It had trail mix, jerky, among other things.

And today I got zip off pants at Gander Mountain for $3.50. (70% off lowest price. Again, they might not go on the trail as they have two zip off points for capris and shorts - but I couldn't resist that price!)

Hope Paul Bunyan writes in with his list. He got a ton of stuff...

Paul Bunyan
12-27-2006, 22:06
I refuse to conform.

VictoriaM
12-27-2006, 22:09
I got an 80GB iPod and a little digital camera. I already had the gear I'll need, but these little extras are nice to have.

Paul Bunyan
12-27-2006, 22:10
But really, the list includes

:headlamp
:summerweight sleeping bag
:grease pot (?????) (for cooking pot)
:hat
:yaktrack traction device
:etc. (in case i forgot anything i'll re-post)

maxNcathy
12-27-2006, 22:53
windstopper hat, socks, water proof mitten shells,patagonia down sweater,

mike!
12-27-2006, 23:55
i got... a 30$ dollar montbell 30L backpack (on thier discount site) and 30 degree bag, a OR ion windshirt and a stick of deodorant (grandma sure does try)
mike!

Frosty
12-28-2006, 00:21
A WM Badger 15* sleeping bag, long. (When you buy Christmas presents for yourself, the sky's the limit) :D

MrHappy
12-28-2006, 00:39
I racked up a lot of sweet stuff:

Fold-up cup and Bowl (the orange plastic folding things...)
Iodine tablets (my mom's still upset that I'm not bringing a filter)
Alterra Watch (it's in the mail)
ALDHA Companion 07
Windstopper Hat
Polypro Balaclava
Marmot Precip pants
Down Booties
A gift card for expensive mountain ****... i mean... eastern mountain sports.

bluelight
12-28-2006, 15:23
I must have been a really good boy this year. Mrs. Claus got me a,
Marmot precip rain jacket
Marmot driclime windshirt
Mountain Hardwear jacket
BA seedhouse SL-2
WM badger 15* sleeping bag
BA insulated air core mat
Olympus stylus 710 camera
Marmot Polartec pants
OR windstopper hat
4 Liter platypus water tank
2 - Sea to Summit dry sacks
Peachskins top
2 qt. titanium cook pot
micro grid zip t
Kelty triptease lightline
And,
I got to order a ULA Catalst backpack.

Undershaft
01-01-2007, 13:01
I specifically requested that I not be given an EMS gift card. That Place sucks. Instead I got a gift cert. for Campmor (which actually carries useful gear). A book about wilderness backpacking that has lots of neat info on 1st aid, predicting the weather, navagation tips, etc. And a bunch of money towards a digital camera (I haven't decided which model I'm going to get.). I didn't request any specific gear since I already have everything I need.

rafe
01-01-2007, 13:14
I already have everything I need.

Is that actually possible? ;)

J Link NJ
01-02-2007, 02:17
hey undershaft. do u fukin live under plymouth rock?

I specifically requested that I not be given an EMS gift card. That Place sucks. Instead I got a gift cert. for Campmor (which actually carries useful gear).

maybe ur just retarted or something, but how about next time ur gonna make a fool out of urself, u double check ur sources. yea campmor has alot of stuff, but ems has just as much useful stuff, and not as much not needed stuff. maybe ur local ems is small, but check out ems.com and compare it to campmor.com

-josh linkhart, ems guide

hammock engineer
01-02-2007, 03:09
I'll try to bring this thread back on track.

I got money that I used to buy a gear skin pack. Something I been wanting for awhile. Got to love the parents and grand parents.

nitewalker
01-02-2007, 08:41
ems sync jacket, ems 650 down vest, ems tempo gtx lt hiking boots, marmot precip jacket and last of all a granite gear nimbus latitude backpack...
ems has way more usefull gear than campmor. campmor is ok to deal with but not as good as ems... rei is a big ripoff, compare prices and u will see.....

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 08:57
campmor is ok to deal with but not as good as ems...

Go to the Campmor store in Paramus, NJ sometime. Then walk nexr door to EMS and try to keep yourself from laughing. My guess is you can't do it. You'll be back over in Campmor within 5-10 minutes.

K0OPG
01-02-2007, 09:58
hiker pro water filter
gaiters
pot for jetboil
stuff sacks
compression sack for sleeping bag
waterproofing stuff for jacket and boots
compass
2007 data book/companion

planning on a march 20th start from HF south.

Jaybird
01-02-2007, 10:14
i got a

Campmor 20 Degree DOWN mummy bag
some SmartWool hiking socks

to add to my NEW hiking gear:D

say "hello" to me & Jigsaw" when you pass us in Central Virginia in April-May

Undershaft
01-02-2007, 13:41
Yeah, Terrapin, I actually have all the gear I need for my hike this year. The only thing I have to buy are the maps that I don't have already. Not that I'm against buying more gear. I'll pick up some extras from campmor this spring. As for Mr. Linkhart, the hotshot EMS guide(what the F does that mean anyway?), come up here and check out my local EMS. It's small, has an extremely limited selection, what gear they do carry is overpriced, and they change the layout of the store every 2 months making it impossible to find anything. I'll admit I was excited when I heard EMS was opening a store here in town, but that quickly changed to disappointment. Call me old fashioned, but I like buying my gear in a store or ordering from a catalog, not online. It's a personal preference. Since I don't always have the time to drive an hour to the nearest REI, Campmor catalog it is. And Josh, try not to be so antagonistic, especially when you had nothing useful to contribute to this "What gear did you get..." thread.

Now that I've ranted, I'm glad everyone got some cool stuff they can use this year. See you on the trail!

rafe
01-02-2007, 14:24
Campmor vs. EMS is a silly comparison. How many retail outlets does each one have? My local EMS store pretty much sucks, but over the years I've bought a lot of quality stuff at EMS. The original store on Comm Ave. in Boston was quite unique -- in its time. Cheap, it's not. One of these days I plan to make a pilgrimage to the Campmor showroom in Paramus. Maybe on the next visit to the inlaws in the Bronx.

Mags
01-02-2007, 16:05
EMS has reveamped their "thrust" as a store recently. The EMS stores west of the Mississippi are no more. The one in Boulder, CO was apparently one of the top grossing EMS stores inthe country. Now it is an empty store. I did scoop up some new toys when the place was going out of business.

From what I was told, REI is trying to make inroads in the East. REI is also evolving into a "soft goods" (e.g. CLOTHES!) mainly store. The profit margin in "the outdoors look" crowd is much higher. The REI here in Boulder definitely gets that crowd more. They buy some hardware, but it definitely is more clothese than anything else they push. Can't say I blame them. What are they going to sell more? A fleece that is warm for the 2 or 3 times a year a person who goes backpacking AND used around town for the coffee shops...or a three-season tent that is used 2-3 times a year?

EMS' strategy? Getting back to a more gear focused thrust.
Part of that strategy was consolidating the stores for EASTERN Mountain Sports. Trying to position themselves as a store different from REI. Well, at least from a marketing standpoint!

Having said all that, if someone gave me a gift certificate to any of the stores, I'd use it! :D As for Campmor? Is there ANY better bathroom reading material for a hiker ?!??!!?

jlb2012
01-02-2007, 16:10
As for Campmor? Is there ANY better bathroom reading material for a hiker ?!??!!?

especially in a privy where the catalog has a second use as TP

Mags
01-02-2007, 16:17
especially in a privy where the catalog has a second use as TP

I esp. love the old school B&W line drawings. The Campmor catalog is the only one wher I actually update my mailing address!

To get this thread back on topic..Santa did not bring me any hiker toys this year. Friends of mine do (kiddingly ?!?) ask if they want me to save their soda cans before they put in in the recycle bin, though!

RadioFreq
01-02-2007, 17:42
Went to REI, returned my Mountain Hardware 32 degree sleeping bag (too small), combined the refund with $125 in gift certificates received on Christmas and bought me a Big Agnes 15 degree bag and three pair of Injinji hiking socks with cash left over. :D

Lacbe
01-02-2007, 18:58
I got all of ATC maps, Squall2 tarp tent, Marmot rain pants, 2 maps of the whole trail to hang on the wall and 2 hernias. I didn't ask for the hernias.

Blissful
01-02-2007, 21:12
I got all of ATC maps, Squall2 tarp tent, Marmot rain pants, 2 maps of the whole trail to hang on the wall and 2 hernias. I didn't ask for the hernias.

I know you probably meant this to be serious but I nearly laughed at your post. It was put so humorously. :) But I just know we will see you out there, hernia or not. I know I have several health things as well. But with some of the great stories coming from those who have made it, it just inspires you to go forward, no matter what. So hang in there and praying your surgery goes very well and you heal speedily (and glad you have a Dr. who understands too).

Lacbe
01-02-2007, 21:32
I know you probably meant this to be serious but I nearly laughed at your post. It was put so humorously. :) But I just know we will see you out there, hernia or not. I know I have several health things as well. But with some of the great stories coming from those who have made it, it just inspires you to go forward, no matter what. So hang in there and praying your surgery goes very well and you heal speedily (and glad you have a Dr. who understands too).
I was very serious when I was a young man now I take Life as it comes and try to enjoy what ever comes along --yes please laugh. Life is way to short as it is. I will crawl the trail if I have to, just don't step on me as you pass me. LOL

Bread
01-02-2007, 21:33
Gift certificate from Amtrak that'll get me to the trail and back home again, a stuff sack pillow and 2 peach skin shirts.

J Link NJ
01-03-2007, 13:12
HAHAHAHA!!! glad to see that i have helped to create some controversy.. In response to undershaft and mowgli - yea some of the ems stores are small and suck, but thats only SOME of our stores. our prices are not over priced and we always have sales goin on. campmor has cheaper prices on some stuff because there stuff is mostly a few years old, where ours is the new year's version.
and undershaft. a smart chap such as yourself should be able to figure out what an ems guide is, i beleive its a bit self explanitory if you know what a guide is and if u know what ems is.

i have recently purchased the MSR Zoid 1 tent, MSR simmerlite stove and fuel bottles, MSR microworks ex water filter, ThermaRest Prolite 4 sleeping pad, and i have been stocking up on clothes to replace what i wear-out on the trail.

J Link NJ
01-03-2007, 13:12
HAHAHAHA!!! glad to see that i have helped to create some controversy.. In response to undershaft and mowgli - yea some of the ems stores are small and suck, but thats only SOME of our stores. our prices are not over priced and we always have sales goin on. campmor has cheaper prices on some stuff because there stuff is mostly a few years old, where ours is the new year's version.
and undershaft. a smart chap such as yourself should be able to figure out what an ems guide is, i beleive its a bit self explanitory if you know what a guide is and if u know what ems is.

i have recently purchased the MSR Zoid 1 tent, MSR simmerlite stove and fuel bottles, MSR microworks ex water filter, ThermaRest Prolite 4 sleeping pad, and i have been stocking up on clothes to replace what i wear-out on the trail.

Mags
01-03-2007, 13:27
campmor has cheaper prices on some stuff because there stuff is mostly a few years old, where ours is the new year's version.

Yep..I just hate to use last year's model of hiking gear! The 2006 sleeping bags are so passe'! The 2007 down is much better.

Don't even get me started on someone trying to force 2004 SilNylon on me! I want *ALL* 2007 gear.

The 2007 gear is so much better!

:banana

Undershaft
01-03-2007, 14:00
Still not sure Josh. Do you guide people around the store? Around your local park? I admit I'm ignorant on the whole guide thing. I've never needed one. BTW, I would think a guide would already have the gear needed to hike the AT, but you didn't have a tent? or stove? or water filter? I'm not a fan of the MSR product line. It seems too over engineered to me. But their products are heavily displayed at EMS. I suppose you go with what you know. Ultimately, the brand name and place of purchase doesn't matter. What works for me probably wouldn't be trendy or new enough for you, and your gear would be to heavy and expensive for me. We are both correct in our choices. Gear selection is a very personal thing. Everyone carries something different. All that matters is that we enjoy hiking.

Mags & HOI: Glad to hear there are other fans of the Campmor catalog out there! Great reading material. I like the old school line drawings too.

cutman11
01-04-2007, 03:06
I dont want to read this thread anymore. I THOUGHT I had all I need but after seeing what all of you got........

J Link NJ
01-08-2007, 01:47
you are correct in your assumption, i do already have the gear needed to go backpacking, but if im going to be depending on something for 6 months straight, im not going to use a 5 year old tent weighing 4 lbs and no longer very water proof or breathable, i'd prefer to go with a new water proof, breathable tent weighing 3 lbs. i also have used water treatment tablets or drops when i go backpacking, but once again, if im going to be using it for 6 months straight, i'd prefer to have something with less chance of side affects. As for a stove, i have not untill now needed one. i have always been fortunate enough to be out with someone who does have one. and as for "too expensive".. thats why i work at ems.. so i can get stuff cheap.

I am sick of this bickering. I would like my time on the trail to be fun and friendly. i have made a bad decision by starting arguments with some of you already, and for that i appologize. i hope we all enjoy the trail as much as we could ever have dreamed. I look foward to hiking with you all. see ya out there!!

now lets get this thread back on track...

Undershaft
01-09-2007, 12:10
Good Luck on your thru-hike, Josh. You have the right attitude. Its not just about hiking the miles, its about having fun while you do it. See you on the trail!

Blissful
01-09-2007, 22:15
Got my early birthday gift yesterday - a Mont Bell Thermawrap jacket, mens medium as they were the ones on sake at Backcountry.com earlier this month. And another hiker made me a sack pack that will be coming soon.
Hubby got packs of pepperoni, oatmeal, and snack sausages for mail drops.
I am a happy camper...er, hiker.