PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow or Rainbow 2?

Stonewall
12-28-2006, 00:13
I'm not sure which one to get was about to purchase the Rainbow but then looked at the Rainbow 2. for 7 more ounces I get an extra foot. of living space. I am going on my thru hike so this is what I am going to be using. Any tips or suggestions for one way or another? I have till the 31st to decide so I appreciate any advice given in advance.

rafe
12-28-2006, 00:32
The Rainbow is plenty big enough for one hiker, even a big, tall hiker, plus his/her gear. See pix here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/).

There are advantages to having a small footprint -- it opens up more options for stealth camping in densely wooded areas.

Booley
12-28-2006, 01:24
Really looking at the Rainbow Terrapin. How do you think the window on this single wall would do in a driving rain. I know it's for ventilation, but can you cover it up when it's really raining?

snarbles
12-28-2006, 02:42
I love my Double Rainbow. No question it is the best tent I've ever owned. My gf and I stayed in it for a whole week and were as comfortable and dry even in very bad weather. I'm sure for one the Rainbow would be plenty as the double was plenty for two.

Haiku
12-28-2006, 03:28
For one person, the Rainbow is MORE than big enough. I spent about two months sharing it with another, and it fits two sleeping pads side by side (just barely). We even weathered several downpours and a hailstorm, with only a little moisture in the tent. With just one person there wouldn't have been any problem with moisture. This was the one-person Rainbow. I can't even imagine how palatial the Rainbow 2 would be.

Haiku.

Stonewall
12-28-2006, 04:58
awsome thank you, I just needed some reisurance. I'll be ordering in the morning.

rafe
12-28-2006, 09:06
Really looking at the Rainbow Terrapin. How do you think the window on this single wall would do in a driving rain. I know it's for ventilation, but can you cover it up when it's really raining?

There's fabric inside to cover up most of the window area, or you can undo the velcro to let it down. I have no idea of how this tent will perform in wind or rain. I've only had it for about a week. As I've said elsewhere, I'm a bit nervous about the lack of a "tub" on the floor. I wish the floor were inset more, or had higher walls forming the "tub." Hoping for rain to test it!!

Buckles
12-28-2006, 09:19
The Double Rainbow is my second Shires Tarptent (my first was the Squall 2). For an extra 7 ounces, you're getting a great space with the Double Rainbow. The optional clip-in liner alleviates misting and adds interior warmth on colder nights. I was camped in Cooper Gap, north of Springer, in early November with sustained winds of 30+ mph. The D.R. was not even buffeted. I can't say enough about how much I love this tent and the spectacular service provided by Henry Shires.

orangebug
12-28-2006, 09:44
Just got back from Standing Indian and sharing my Rainbow 2 with another hiker. It was palatial, had no problem with the snow or wind, was quick and simple to erect and take down, and was just as good as I could imagine. For one hiker, the Rainbow 2 is quite huge, but shouldn't cause much more difficulty in locating a level site than any other tent. I did have problems with condensation when first used last summer, but that can be expected with any single wall tent.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-28-2006, 09:50
There is plenty of room for one in a Rainbow. Unless you plan to take a large dog and have it in the tent or plan on having company frequently, a double Rainbow is a bit much for a single hiker.

Does anyone know if Shires plans to offer a retro-fit liner for the single Rainbow? Doing that would set the single Rainbow apart from other tents of similar weight (Lunar solo - Shires other models - the GG original squall) as being the only one with a 'double wall' option.

Footslogger
12-28-2006, 09:54
Have the Double Rainbow (or Rainbow 2). Never set up or used and sill in the box. Not a thing wrong with the Rainbow but thinking we might have found something we like better.

'Slogger

Big Dawg
12-28-2006, 11:18
For this Big Dawg, the Double Rainbow is perfect,,,,, of course I'm 6'5" and 275 lbs,,, and I like room to spread out my gear. I guess it all depends on how big you are and how much room you like in your tent. For one of the "big 4", 7 extra ozs on the back is no big deal to me.