PDA

View Full Version : Walking with Freedom video

Crazy Legs
12-28-2006, 07:43
Has anyone seen the Walking with Freedom Video? Curious as to anyone's thoughts about this documentary. Thanks!:-?

JimSproul
12-28-2006, 12:07
Lion King is a WB member. I enjoyed the video. The music is well done. I won't give away the ending but a large mountain is involved!

Desert Lobster
12-28-2006, 12:09
Best one of all the videos!

Tabasco
12-28-2006, 12:31
**WARNING** OPINION ALERT

This is my least favorite of the 4 AT videos I have, which include : TREK, 2000 miles to Maine, Appalachian Impressions, and the aforementioned Walking with Freedom. Granted, music was good, but I did not care for the movie that much. Nothing against Lion King, as I don't know him, but this movie just wasn't my cup of tea.

Lion King
12-28-2006, 13:29
I liked it.:D

FHThiker
12-28-2006, 14:09
**WARNING** OPINION ALERT

This is my least favorite of the 4 AT videos I have, which include : TREK, 2000 miles to Maine, Appalachian Impressions, and the aforementioned Walking with Freedom. Granted, music was good, but I did not care for the movie that much. Nothing against Lion King, as I don't know him, but this movie just wasn't my cup of tea.

Agreed! I purchased all four that he's mentioned and Walking with Freedom was my least favorite. Appalachian Impressions and TREK are great...but then again, 2000 miles to Maine is good too. But, with this said, any video on the AT is better than watching the crap on TV, but Walking with Freedom would be on the bottom of my purchasing list. Clear as mud? :)

Nean
12-28-2006, 14:30
I really enjoyed LKs DVD! :banana
Worst video IMO is 5 Million Steps, nothing but a bitchfest.:(

rafe
12-28-2006, 14:39
I really enjoyed LKs DVD! :banana

??? I don't recall it that way. I'm no conni-sewer of AT videos, by Lynne Wheldon's was one of the first and best, at least at the time.

Carol Moore's (Lagunatic) video was disappointing, sorry to say. But of historical interest to me. ;) She still rates as #1 Trail Angel in my book, regardless.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 14:42

Yeah. Terrible flick.

FHThiker
12-28-2006, 14:42
Agreed! I purchased all four that he's mentioned and Walking with Freedom was my least favorite. Appalachian Impressions and TREK are great...but then again, 2000 miles to Maine is good too. But, with this said, any video on the AT is better than watching the crap on TV, but Walking with Freedom would be on the bottom of my purchasing list. Clear as mud? :)

I started thinking about what I wrote; I want to redo my critique. It's a good DVD, just not my favorite out of the four I've seen. I have ***HUGE*** respect for anyone who thru-hikes the A.T., video or not, so THUMBS up to the guy and I'm glad I had the chance to support him.

Nean
12-28-2006, 14:46
Yeah. Terrible flick.

Made by a whiner:o , go figure.:rolleyes:

QHShowoman
12-28-2006, 14:48
I really liked "Walking With Freedom." While "Trek" is still my favorite AT documentary, "Walking With Freedom" is second on my list.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 14:50
The best I've seen was a video "Sticking To It" by Suzanne Stroh (Black Sheep) a 91 thru-hiker.

Sly
12-28-2006, 14:51
I liked LK's. 5 Million steps OK for the time. AT Impressions, kinda boring, but OK if you know nothing of the AT. Hopefully his CDT flick will be better. Still trying to get through TREK. I keep falling asleep! :o I haven't seen 2000 miles yet.

Sly
12-28-2006, 14:54
The best I've seen was a video "Sticking To It" by Suzanne Stroh (Black Sheep) a 91 thru-hiker.

You got it? Is it VHS or DVD? Bring it to the SoRuck, will yah?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 14:56
You got it? Is it VHS or DVD? Bring it to the SoRuck, will yah?

Wish I did. Haven't seen it in years. I do have a short video of me hitting a golf ball off Katahdin.:)

rafe
12-28-2006, 14:57
Made by a whiner:o , go figure.:rolleyes:

AT thru in '92, 137 days. PCT in 106 days. Some whiner.

He's a wicked gram weenie and he went to Bob Jones U. (at least for a short while.) Those are about the only things I'd fault him for.

jrwiesz
12-28-2006, 15:06
Wish I did. Haven't seen it in years. I do have a short video of me hitting a golf ball off Katahdin.:)
Long par five?

Sly
12-28-2006, 18:33
Well, I finally watched all of TREK without falling asleep. ;) I'm not sure what all the hype's about but frankly found the flick disappointing. It seemed like all these guys wanted to do was finish the trail and hardly got into the journey. Anyone know if they still hike?

Lilred
12-29-2006, 13:34
I've seen Trek, Walking with Freedom, and Appalachian Impressions (yawn). Walking w/Freedom was by far the best to me. The music was great and it really showed the endurance it takes to stay on the trail. I loved the contrasting bear scenes. Good stuff.

Saw it the first time at Trail Days '05. The schoolhouse was packed to the breaking point and it got a raving, standing ovation. I'm looking forward to his next film.

Desert Lobster
12-29-2006, 14:25
Lobster and Ebert rankings:

1. Walking With Freedom
2. Trek
3. 5 Million Steps

Haven't seen the others.

Lion King
12-29-2006, 15:39
Thanks for all the love and dislike, they both keep me breathing.

For all of you out there who are wondering what all the hoopla is about

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp?command=text&ip_text=%22walking+with+freedom%22&image.x=2&image.y=9

Click that and find out.

Love ya