PDA

View Full Version : skunk

whitefoot_hp
12-28-2006, 12:12
Has anyone ever encountered the skunk atop Blood Mountain?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 12:18

Back in the day when I was dumb enuf to stay in that shelter, there were quite a few of them wandering in and out all night.

Footslogger
12-28-2006, 12:25

===================================

Sure have ...and it was the "spotted" Polecat type. It set up housekeeping in the hut when it still had wooden window shutters and a door and a working fireplace (that some dopes fueled with the shutters and door).

Before I moved away from the area though I had heard some kids trapped and killed it.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
12-28-2006, 12:27

There is a dude from Florida who posted a report here about encountering a skunk at Bllod Mountain last year. I think he had a dog with him, and his son too. I forget his member name. Three initials starting with J. Just don't start talking firearms with him. Please.

Dances with Mice
12-28-2006, 13:55
There's still a couple that make a nightly patrol of the shelter. They have hikers trained pretty well. They just mosey in then people start throwing food across the shelter to try to get them to leave. Works every time.

The Doctor
01-29-2007, 12:52
Yeah, the skunk there now is from what I hear a 4th or 5th generation. Me and a few buddies had the pleasure of encountering this spotted species while hiking right before christmas 2006. We spotlighted him at about 2 in the a.m.! He/She just stared at us and then continued rummaging through our trash bag until he felt full enough to leave. Note to Self: "Don't be to cold/lazy/tired to hang the trash up with the food."

RAT
01-29-2007, 21:44
Yup, was there in `91. Came in at first light when one of our group got up to pee and left the door open, checked everything out and left. The resident woodrat was still there too (one mentioned in the original Philosphers Guide)that was one huge rat with one huge nest in the rafters. Very brave and aggravating rat. Havent stayed there since.

RAT