PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag for the tall

whitefoot_hp
12-28-2006, 12:19
Hello, I am about 6' 5" , and was wondering if anyone had advice on the dimension of my sleeping bag. also, on mummy bags, is the dimension given for length usually a head to toe measurment? im thinking a 90" or even an 84" sleeping bag would fit me. does that sound right?

Touch of Grey
12-28-2006, 13:30
Hopefully you have an Outfitter near you or an REI. If so I would highly recommend going there and trying a few different one's out to see how they fit. I am 6' 3" and a little north of 260 lbs currently and have a Western Mountaineering Sequoia which from the standpoint of length is plenty but because I have put on a few pounds it is tight when I zip it closed.

I am a hammocker and so use it primarily as an over quilt opened up.

The best thing to do is to try different bags out and not just go by dimensions. Yes obviously you will most likely need a 'long bag' just so you don't feel bunched up at the toes box and can hunker down when it really gets cold.

That's my pennies worth of advise to you.

TOG

Fiddler
12-28-2006, 15:02
Agree with Touch of Grey, try to find a place where the staff will let you lie down in the bags to see how they feel, or if you order by mail or internet be sure the merchant has a good return policy if it doesn't fit well. I use a North Face (Long) most of the time, I am 6'2" and have about 8 inches extra at the toe. Don't really need that much extra space.