PDA

View Full Version : Water at Payne Gap

Mr. Parkay
12-28-2006, 16:07
Does anyone know where the water source is located at Payne Gap. This is in Georgia 25.5 miles from Springer. The Guide I was using says that there is water here, but I was not able to find it. Granted, I was night hiking, so maybe I just missed it, but I checked out the area pretty thoroughly. Maybe its just dry at the moment. Anyhow, there didn't seem to be any other water sources between Licklog Mountain and Garland Gap... which is about 11 miles of dryness. So definitely be aware of this if you are thinking about hiking the section.

Mr. Parkay
12-28-2006, 16:18
The section beween Sled Runner Gap and Peels top was also extremely dry. There were two nasty mud puddles near Hipps gap, but thats basically the only water I saw in this section. So definitely bring lots of water here.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2006, 16:45
The section beween Sled Runner Gap and Peels top was also extremely dry. There were two nasty mud puddles near Hipps gap, but thats basically the only water I saw in this section. So definitely bring lots of water here.

This one I know about. When going south from Sled Runner and after passing over Rocky Top you'll enter a gap and if you turn right in this sunken gap you'll reach the springhead to Brookshire creek about 200 yards down. I camped at this gap once and it's a shortcut to the Brookshire trail without having to go all the way to Sled Runner and then loop around and down.

Don't recommend it though as you'll miss out on pretty Rocky Top and the nice hike into Sled Runner Gap.

My biggest problem was between Tate Gap and Rocky Top. I camped at Six Mile Gap once and could not find the water north of there that Ken Jones of BMTA told me about. It's there, he said.

I also found water at Tate Gap(the BMT gets on an old logging road and crosses a little spring - could've been dry), and I found water north of Peels Top as the trail skirts over the ridge and down into Tate Gap. I found a little seep with water there.

Hikerhead
12-28-2006, 21:59
Water at Payne Gap. This is if my memory is working. Heading north, after the rather steep drop into Payne Gap you come to an old woods road which the trail follows, another road goes off to the right here. Go down this other road about 25 yards and it comes to a wide grassed covered dirt road. Turn right on this road and go about 100 yards. The spring is down on the left hand side where the road takes a tight left hand turn. It wasn't easy to find but it was a rather nice spring. We camped here at the gap.

Mr. Parkay
12-29-2006, 11:45
Thanks hiker head,

That night when I was looking for the water I found this "spring" you have just described. However, it was so muddy, nasty and stinky that I couldn't believe that it was the water source in question. So at the time this water source was dry enough to make it practically unusable, even by digging a deeper hole... (I supppose that if you were dieing of thirst you could get water by wringing it out of a hunk of mud with a bandana... gross!). Maybe this water source is better at other times of the year. Glad I know that is the actual water source now.

Hikerhead
12-29-2006, 15:54
Now that you mention it, I did have to go down hill just a ways. But the water was OK.

NightStick
08-02-2010, 19:04
I was just there yesterday, 8-1-2010, no water anywhere. This was my first time at Payne Gap so I thought I was just having a hard time finding the spring. Wooden sign pointed toward the Spring and what I found was a dry creek-bed. No water on Section 4 BMT.

SGT Rock
08-05-2010, 14:54
I hiked through there in a drought. To get water I ended up going all the way down to a dirt road and crossing that, continuing down hill to a very small trickle of a stream. And actually, I stopped early because back then there was no sign and I mis calculated and stopped at a saddle a little bit before the actual gap. It was a long hike back to my pack.

NightStick
04-08-2011, 08:54
Was just their two days ago......good water right off old road below trail.

jbwood5
04-08-2011, 11:09
Here is 1 day from my log from 2007 mentioning Payne Gap. From what I remember, it was just seeping and I had to go down aways to find some wet areas. It could be that 2007 was a dry year:

Tuesday 4/17 - Day3
It was still windy but it warmed up quickly. I was in shorts and short sleeves by 10:00 AM. By the time I got to Skeenah Gap, I was critically low on water and it looked like I had a few miles to go before the next listed spring at Payne Gap. As I crossed the highway at the Gap, I saw road workers working on re-paving the highway. I asked if they could spare some water and they gave me about a half quart. I was glad to get it and thanked them. Later, I made it to Payne Gap where I got a full re-fill of water. The spring was not apparent and I had to do some exploring to find it. It was also just tricking and not easy to get the bottles filled. On the BMT, you have to be careful about watching your water supply. The Springs are usually not marked and sometimes you have to search the ravines for water. The Maps in Tim Homan's book give you the general location of known springs near the trail. It was only this section of GA where I had a few issues with water.
I had to take frequent breaks due to some muscle soreness and fatigue. It has been a couple of years since I have taken an extended backpack hike and I was definitely feeling it, even though I consider myself to be in good shape.
During the late afternoon, I passed Wiscot Gap and got water from a spring a mile further down the trail. I immediately began looking for a place to camp and eventually came to a wide open grassy field just off the trail. I made my supper there but decided that this might be a private area and did not feel comfortable camping there. A dirt road passed through on the other side of the field. Later, I found that you are allowed to camp on the grass. I ended up finding a flat spot about 3/4 miles before the fire tower on Brawley Mtn. It was probably 7:30 before I got the tent set up. I hung my food since this is well known bear country. The only bothersome noise I heard through the night was the sound of a dog that constantly barked in the far distance.

10-K
04-24-2011, 22:47
I spent my first night on the BMT at Payne Gap and found the spring just down the road (to the right) down in the gully.

It wasn't exactly a gusher - I almost missed it and then noticed water flowing over the top of a bunch of leaves.