PDA

View Full Version : CT/MA section in late August or early September

Speer Carrier
12-28-2006, 16:48
Help, please from the experts. I'm planning a section hike with my brother-in-law on the CT/MA section. Wondered what to expect in terms of ease of hiking/miles per day on the section.( I've hike the whole Georgia section, and NC as far as Fontana. I'm no novice at hiking, but never hiked in the north) Also, how are the crowds at that time of year. Any interesting things to see, or places to stay on the trail? or off? What can we expect for weather that time of year?

Thanks for any input

Speer Carrier

rafe
12-28-2006, 16:54
Relatively easy section. The "wave" should be way up north by then, so crowds won't be a problem, except maybe on weekends. Sages Ravine is beautiful. Kent is a popular stop, but not much in the way of cheap lodging. Weather should be fine -- it's the best time of year for hiking, IMO. Bugs are waning or gone, temperatures perfect for hiking.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 16:55
That's a good time to hike that section. Almost all the thru-hikers will be thru there by then so no real crowds and it won't be unbearably hot. You can cover 15 mpd thru there.

Cookerhiker
12-28-2006, 17:07
Re time of year, I would think the mosquitos would have diminished some by late August which should make your hiking enjoyable. Highlights from south to north:

CT - much up and down from NY line including steady but not too steep ascent of Schaghticoke. Some good views west from Schaghticoke. Later, descent down St. Johns Ledges - short but very steep - the steepest part of both states.

CT - after St. J Ldeges, very easy flat 4-5 miles along Housatonic. Afterwards, it's all up and down for the rest of CT until ending at Bear Mountain where the ascent is gradual (but with many false summits) and the descent into Sages Ravine steep.

Keep in mind that in CT, all camping is limited to designated sites and shelters.

MA - Sages Ravine is beautiful with the hemlocks and cascades. If you can, arrange your schedule to camp there.

MA - From Sages, steady ascent up to Race Mountain with nice views from open rocky area. Take some time on Race to linger - it's nicer than Everett which follows despite Everett being higher. Hemlock Shelter is nice.

MA - descent from ridgeline for an easy walk across valley, crossing Rt. 7 and Housatonic. Ascent to Rt. 23 is harder than appears with many little up and downs and rocky footing.

MA - Rt. 23 to Cheshire is fairly easy and scenic with the lakes and ponds - Buel Lake, Upper Goose Pond, others.

MA - Cheshire over Greylock. First 1-2 miles is steep. Rest of ascent more moderate until final push to Greylock summit. Splendid view from Greylock.

MA - Greylock to North Adams - long descent, steep in a few places but not bad.

I hiked the southern half of Mass in Spring, 2005 - you can read about it on http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005 My CT hiking was in Fall, 2003 and recorded on my trailjournals site for 2004.

You should have a good hike. Happy trails!

Kevin A. Boyce
12-28-2006, 17:20
If the weather is good, expect crowds on the weekends, you will be heading through some tourist dense areas, like Bear Mtn/Sages/Race Brook and Greylock. No major obstacles or death march needed, the camping as already posted is tightly controlled in CT, you have to use designated locales but they are not far apart. Bugs could be an issue still depending on the humidity, so I would make sure I have an alternate plan then just relying on shelters.

Terrain as I said is not too bad, some dirt roads, some rocks, some up and downs, if you are in decent shape 15 mile days should not be an issue at all.

Weather, can be hit or miss, expect a far amount of heat and some cool nights... But you never know, best to watch the forecast as the year goes on and see if it is a dry or wet summer... Then double check before heading out.

Some pretty towns along the way to stop in, but most are pretty expensive... I suggest you plan to spend a nero; not a zero day, but nearly one... to save a few dollars, lodging will be $$$$ for the most part if you want to get off the trail for a night or two. Grab some ice cream in Kent, check out Salisbury, Great Barrington has a great little burritto place in the town as well. Did the guy give out free beer to hikers this year in Cornwall Bridge. CT? Great Barrington probably has the cheapest rates close to the trail for a hotel/motel; about the mid way point of your planned hike. Check out the ALDHA guide though for more accurate $$'s though.

I think your biggest issue will just be the crowds, especially if you plan to be out over the Labor Day weekend.

PM if you have any other ??'s... Look me up when your up this way.
KevBoy

rafe
12-28-2006, 17:36
Limestone Springs Lean-to/Campsite: Beautiful site, excellent spring, but a hard 300-400' descent from the trail.
Race Mtn: Beautiful on a nice day. No shade at all, can be tough on a hot muggy day (you'll want shades and sunblock.)
Race Brook Campsite: ugly clearcut. Yecch.
Salisbury: Maria McCabe's place, easy walk or hitch to town. (Nobo hike takes you almost into town anyway.)
Great Barrington, Rte 7: The garden store by the AT road crossing has a fridge full of cold drinks for purchase. GB makes a lively, interesting trail town but is several miles up the road.
Rte. 20 to Dalton: Wicked flat, easy miles.
Dalton to Cheshire: Ditto.

"Bird Cage" Hostel in Dalton? Heard about it, haven't been there.

vipahman
12-28-2006, 18:07
Watch out for the ticks. tick tick tick.

rafe
12-28-2006, 18:24
Watch out for the ticks. tick tick tick.

jeebus... huge frickin signs at every frickin road crossing... they won't let you forget !!!!

Peaks
12-28-2006, 19:43
If you have hiked Georgia and NC, then I suggest that you compare your typical daily mileage with others by reading trail journals. Then, read what they do for mileage in MA & CT. Of course, thru-hikers are in shape long before CT & MA, so a section hiker might do fewer miles.

I'd add that Upper Goose Pond is a must stay!

gsingjane
12-28-2006, 21:10
Having ranged up and down the CT section several summers now with the kids, I'll second Cookerhiker's and KevBoy's posts as particularly informative. I happen to love Mt. Algo shelter, although not too many folks stay there as it's right "above" Rt. 341 into Kent. My personal "not-faves" as far as places to stay are Belter's Bump and Plateau, both too close to well-travelled roads. You might catch mucho car noise as you traverse along the Sharon Mtn. section of the trail (Lime Rock Raceway is adjacent). Sundays, no noise. Bear have been spotted up and down the section this year and last so bear boxes have been installed at all the northern-most sites. Watch Guinea Brook (just as you come down Silver Hill going NOBO), it has been too high to ford several times this year but you can cut around it by walking down Rt. 4 and then back up Breadloaf Mtn. There can be some extremely creepy bugs at the Stewart Hollows site although by the time you're there they'll probably be gone.

That's about all my input for now!

Jane in CT

Speer Carrier
12-28-2006, 23:49
Everyone's information is much appreciated. I've noted the the places of interest. Hope to see some you on the trail up there.

Speer Carrier

Cookerhiker
12-29-2006, 22:35
..... Watch Guinea Brook (just as you come down Silver Hill going NOBO), it has been too high to ford several times this year but you can cut around it by walking down Rt. 4 and then back up Breadloaf Mtn. .....Jane in CT

Ah Guinea Brook. When Deb and hiked it last January, we couldn't rock-hop across because all the rocks were ice-encrusted. Fortunately there was a tree fallen across the brook, also ice-encrusted so we shimmied across. Wearing spandex bottoms, I experienced a nice cold seat!

gsingjane
12-30-2006, 08:58
Last time we were there, in mid-November, it had been pouring all the previous day but I was still surprised to see it quite so high and strong. We saw that log, too, but I had my 8 year old with me and was in no mood for daring whitewater maneuvers... we booked around it. Good for you for braving it!

Jane

adamkrz
12-30-2006, 09:11
As far as the best shelter with a view check out the Riga shelter on the way up to bear mt.It has a great eastern view of the twin lakes,Also I have never seen a flying squirrel until last Nov. when we stayed at that shelter--That little bugger keep me up most of the night..

the_iceman
01-03-2007, 21:02
I did this in March of last year (NOBO) and hit a lot of ice in Sage's Ravine and also coming off the ledges at Jug End. Took a nasty fall in Sage's and cut my knee. I’ve got the ice do-hickies (forget the name) now.

New England has had a warm winter so far but you can count on ice up there. I drove through there Dec 20th and saw snow at higher elevations but not much. The sun does not penetrate Sage's Ravine.