PDA

View Full Version : MSR Reactor in 2007

JimSproul
12-28-2006, 17:34
This thing stacks up pretty good against the Jetboil.

http://www.msrcorp.com/rock_ice_reactor.pdf

Your thoughts?

rafe
12-28-2006, 17:41
?? More expensive, heavier. Might compete against the Jetboil GCS, but not PCS.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 17:43
$140 for a freakin stove?:eek:

Lilred
12-28-2006, 18:09

LOLOL Couldn't have put it better.
But hey, it's the latest, greatest, gotta-have item eh?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2006, 18:23

$80 for a Jetboil ain't no bargain either. Freakin fads!

Sly
12-28-2006, 19:13
$80 for a Jetboil ain't no bargain either. Freakin fads!

Atleast you get a pot and a canister of fuel.

I can't find my titanium pot that I got on sale in 1999. It's going to cost $55 to replace. Instead, I went for the Jetboil with a $20 off coupon. If I find my pot before I start hiking next year, I'll return it.

Topcat
12-28-2006, 20:22
Fool, you're supposed to smoke it!

Now thats funny...i dont care who you are...:banana

littlelaurel59
12-29-2006, 16:24
12 oz can of Dr. Pepper (full) - $0.25 on sale
Weight (empty)- 0.4 oz.

Homemade gear vs. brand name gear- They are both addicting, but some addictions are more expensive than others.

rafe
12-29-2006, 16:26
12 oz can of Dr. Pepper (full) - $0.25 on sale
Weight (empty)- 0.4 oz.

Homemade gear vs. brand name gear- They are both addicting, but some addictions are more expensive than others.

Jetboil: includes pot, cozy, pot handle, lid, tea cup. Does things your Dr. Pepper can can't do. Like turn on and off ;).

Sly
12-29-2006, 16:50
Fool, you're supposed to smoke it!

LOL... No comment, except to say I have some great stories better told in person. ;)

neo
12-29-2006, 21:44

Your thoughts?

:) i am sticking with my jet boil and camo cozy:cool: neo

neo
12-29-2006, 21:46

:D i paid 60 bucks for my jetboil dude:cool: neo

Booley
12-29-2006, 22:11
So I'm wondering if the 7mph test was at 9 degrees. That's not a lot of wind and I'm pretty sure (from reviews) that the JB is more effecient than that. Comments from users of the JB?

rafe
12-29-2006, 22:26
So I'm wondering if the 7mph test was at 9 degrees. That's not a lot of wind and I'm pretty sure (from reviews) that the JB is more effecient than that. Comments from users of the JB?

From the description, I can believe the MSR is more wind-resistant than the JetBoil. Which is saying a lot, because the JB is already one of the best performers (among canister stoves) in that category. The MSR has a "flameless" burner and an even tighter coupling (between burner and heatsink) than the JB.

But notice the very last comparison statistic: total burn time. MSR: 77 minutes, Jetboil: 197 minutes. The MSR boils twice as fast (roughly) but its total burn time is well under 1/2 the JB's. That tells me the MSR is less efficient than the JB. (Ie., lower volume of H20 boiled, per canister.) The text of the article confirms this.

Booley
12-29-2006, 22:35
They're saying that the JB won't boil in 7mph wind. I can possibly see that at 9 degrees, but in the article they don't mention the temperature during this part of the test.

rafe
12-29-2006, 23:13
They're saying that the JB won't boil in 7mph wind. I can possibly see that at 9 degrees, but in the article they don't mention the temperature during this part of the test.

Can't say from experience either way. The review of the JB at backpackinglight.com [subscription required] tested the JB in a 7 mph wind, at 44 degrees F, and while it far outperformed another canister stove, the wind took its toll.

There's an overview/comparison at the same site (a different article), which shows the JB outperforming every other canister stove, by a large margin, in a 12 mph wind. I didn't see a temperature specified in that chart.

Sleepy the Arab
12-29-2006, 23:35
I ain't buying either. Seven stoves is enough thank you.

aroth87
12-29-2006, 23:48
Jetboil: includes pot, cozy, pot handle, lid, tea cup. Does things your Dr. Pepper can can't do. Like turn on and off ;).

Tea light stove, SP 700 mug, pot stand, Al foil windscreen, 3.83 oz. Use my fleece hat as a cozy. Don't need to turn in off, I just measure out the amount of fuel I need to come to a boil. It may take 10 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, but I can multitask by setting up my tarp while I'm waiting. And it only uses a half ounce of alcohol.
If you include the fuel bottle, measuring cap, and MSR towel I use to move it while its still hot the grand total is 5.44 oz.

So there... :p

Adam

rafe
12-29-2006, 23:55
Tea light stove, SP 700 mug, pot stand, Al foil windscreen, 3.83 oz.

Serious gram weenie. Got yer kitchen pegged to hundredths of an ounce. I'm impressed. ;)

Hey, if you can boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 oz. of alcohol, you're a better man than I, and I salute you. I don't like to multitask when there's a stove involved, but that's just me.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 00:08
I was thinking the exact same think. I have had my JB out in at least 15 mph wind on the beach and it didnt boil real quick, but "Did Not Boil" is BS. It's called a windscreen. And it's cheap.

I dont think this thing is anywhere near as good as a JB. Who the hell needs a 2 qt pot anyway for soloing?:-? ( no, weinstone, I didnt say 2 qts of pot ).

rafe
12-30-2006, 00:11
I dont think this thing is anywhere near as good as a JB. Who the hell needs a 2 qt pot anyway for soloing?

It can only be compared to the Jetboil "Group" system, not the PCS. Seems to me to be fairly typical MSR over-engineering. Which isn't always a bad thing, but the result is rarely light-weight ;).

aroth87
12-30-2006, 00:13
I'm not actually sure how much the tea light weighs, my scale is only accurate to the gram and it still registers 0 when I put it on there, so I'm assuming its around 1/2 gram. The Al foil lid on the pot saves some weight too. I've been thinking about making one of the beer can pots, but I need to find someone who can stomach the beer because I can't stand it. That will cut 2.5 oz from the weight :D. Some people say I'm a gram weenie, I guess they're right. :p

Adam

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 05:29
Hey, when I knock the JetBoil as being over weigh, over priced, and over built for what it is supposed to do - boil water, people cite all these reasons the JetBoil is so great as the reason to justify the purchase over lighter, cheaper, and easier solutions. BUTNOW someone has a stove system that beats the JetBoil in all those areas and you guys are bashing it for the exact same things I say are wrong with the JetBoil.

Too funny.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2006, 10:01
Hey, when I knock the JetBoil as being over weigh, over priced, and over built for what it is supposed to do - boil water, people cite all these reasons the JetBoil is so great as the reason to justify the purchase over lighter, cheaper, and easier solutions. BUTNOW someone has a stove system that beats the JetBoil in all those areas and you guys are bashing it for the exact same things I say are wrong with the JetBoil.

Too funny.

It's like a $2 pair of old ski poles or $140 pair of Leki poles. They do the same damn thing. Marketing suckers people in.

rafe
12-30-2006, 10:07
BUTNOW someone has a stove system that beats the JetBoil in all those areas and you guys are bashing it for the exact same things I say are wrong with the JetBoil.

Too funny.

In what ways does it beat the JB, Rock? As far as I can tell, it's more windproof, and burns at 2x the rate of the JB. It's also heavier, more expensive, and less efficient. I'd have liked to see a lighter version of the JB PCS. That's clearly not what MSR had in mind. Too bad.

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 10:15
See. You guys are a riot.

DawnTreader
12-30-2006, 11:17
I get 2 cups boiling at 1/2 oz. with my tea light also.. It's a simplicity thing with me. Jetboil and Msr are to complicated to take into the woods. to many pieces, too loud, too much....

Mags
12-30-2006, 11:31
I dont think this thing is anywhere near as good as a JB. Who the hell needs a 2 qt pot anyway for soloing?:-? ( no, weinstone, I didnt say 2 qts of pot ).

I use a 2 qt pot because my appetite gets quite huge towards the end of my thru-hikes. The pot I use (again, for cooking! ;) ) weighs 4.5 oz with a "tin foil" lid. Find a 1 ltr pot is not large enough. a 1.5 ltr pot, to be honest, would do the trick, but I have not found a cheap 1.5 ltr pot. Refuse to pay $$$ for something that just boils water. :) I'll sticl to my 4.5 oz and $5 pot.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2006, 11:32
i hike with 2 pots

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 11:32
But mags, you have to wait 6 extra minutes to eat! Someone else may beat you to finishing your dinner ::eek:

Mags
12-30-2006, 11:33
It's like a $2 pair of old ski poles or $140 pair of Leki poles. They do the same damn thing. Marketing suckers people in.

Ain't that the truth! :) My latest ski poles are a dumpster dive special! Woo hoo!

Mags
12-30-2006, 11:34
But mags, you have to wait 6 extra minutes to eat! Someone else may beat you to finishing your dinner ::eek:

Yep..it is ALL about speed when hiking. :)

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 11:35
Dang, and I always thought if I was in a hurry I wouldn't be walking.:sun

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 12:04
Wow, we're double fisting JB threads.
IMHO, if you are gonna freezer bag cook, I dont think anything beats a JB. If you are gonna pot cook, then an alchy or a standard canister stove is much better. Again, JMHO. All this talk of 3-6 mins fast or 3-6 ozs heavier is totally weenieish.

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 12:07
Naw, I would say it is weenieish to think that all that extra crap is neccisary to boil water. People have been doing it for years before the JetBoil ever came out LOL.

Booley
12-30-2006, 13:24
Who the hell needs a 2 qt pot anyway for soloing?:-? ( no, weinstone, I didnt say 2 qts of pot ).

You've got to consider the source of this review. Rock and Ice has a lot of alpinist views on gear. Two people going as light and as quick as they can. If you're in situations where you need an efficient stove under howling conditions (big wall climbing), then this wouldn't be a bad stove. Otherwise in some conditions, your non-MSR stove may not boil. Climbers carry a lot of stuff with them. Five extra ounces difference from one stove to the lastest and greatest MSR stove isn't going to kill them. There's enough room in that two quart pot for two meals, for two climbers. I'm just wondering why if climbers is the market for this stove, why can't you hang it? They put it up against the JB because it's the only other stove in this genre. My 2!

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 13:44
Naw, I would say it is weenieish to think that all that extra crap is neccisary to boil water.
Good point, but you callin ME a weenie, Sgt? Where's my sword?:-? .....:D

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 13:51
Hell, I have my Tom Brown Tracker. Lets go buddy ;)

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 13:53
Hell, I have my Tom Brown Tracker. Lets go buddy ;)
Butter knives at 15 paces.;) :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 13:59
I am the Blue Raja. I don't do knives, only forks and spoons.

(You will probably have to look that one up)

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 14:05
(You will probably have to look that one up)
:mad: Now your calling me stupid! Alright, that's it. I'm calling off the war, flying you home, and squeezing lemon juice in your eye.:p

( He's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Weenie. Reminds me of a 1st Sgt I know.....:rolleyes: ):D

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 14:12
LOL. You are too crazy for words.

When I get back come on up to Tennessee for the show down. I'll show you my cool new knife and you can be envious.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 14:21
LOL. You are too crazy for words.

My ex told me that ... and squaddies .... and my last commander ....and all my friends.... and my parents.....:bse

Hey, speaking of you in Tenn, when is your parole date? I might need to take a hike around that time.

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 14:31
I should be home before 1 March. You know how the Army is, the re-deployment can be as painful to get through as the entire deployment.

ed bell
12-30-2006, 15:22
I should be home before 1 March. You know how the Army is, the re-deployment can be as painful to get through as the entire deployment.Don't forget to let us know if you are looking for some help on your trail maintanence section.:sun

Booley
12-30-2006, 16:00
I should be home before 1 March.

That's great to hear Rock. Be Safe!

jasonklass
12-31-2006, 11:13
20 oz. for a cannister stove? No thanks. Just another gimmick.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-31-2006, 11:30

Your thoughts?
1- The blue canister ain't just gaz anymore, there's gonna be some folks who aren't amused when they find out too late they bought the wrong one and the valve won't mate.
2- If it out performs white gas as the review states, then they have something. White gas stoves aren't cheap after you add all the accessories like fuel bottles, spare jets, cleaning/maintenance kits and wind screens.
3- Set the pot in the mud once and it looks like all that efficiency gain from the heat fins goes away pretty fast.
4-Beyond a headlamp replacement I haven't bought a single piece of harware in over a year, I may go shopping in April

copythat
01-01-2007, 00:54
20 oz. for a cannister stove? No thanks. Just another gimmick.

23:54 et