PDA

View Full Version : Cold Feets

partinj
12-28-2006, 22:10
Hi everone the only thing that get cold on me when i am sleeping outside are my feets.any suggestion on a way to keep them warm :-?

noah7
12-28-2006, 22:20
Boil water and fill one or two bottles and put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag. If that doesn't work get ah hotel room......:banana

mweinstone
12-28-2006, 22:32
be prepared and in good shape and use fats in your diet. alot of butter or margerine in coco at dinner stokes the furnace for the night. ginger or garlic rubbed on skin in an emergensy. dont be cheap on sleeping bag newness and quality and loft. harden yourself and your feet to colder temps year round so as to make hiking in cooler temps comfortable. use less heet and clothes for a while here in the town life. hydrate more in your life in general a full baloon holds heat longer than a saggy balloon. learn where to camp. study how thermal currents move in mountains from sunlight amounts. go hiking with those more skilled than yourself or take a course in winter mountaineering. learn the value of dead air space and roomy bags.learn to do in place isotoneics to warm in a chilly night situation. and finnaly the number one way to asure warm feet. bring a dog.

fiddlehead
12-28-2006, 23:39
fleece socks

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-28-2006, 23:46
Fleece socks or down booties

JimSproul
12-29-2006, 12:33
I tried using a 3/4 sleeping mat for a while until I hit cold weather and got cold feet. I carry a full length matress all the time now. I have down boots that work well for me for winter camping but it has to be very cold.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2006, 12:34
Hi everone the only thing that get cold on me when i am sleeping outside are my feets.any suggestion on a way to keep them warm :-?

pull your feets inside the tent.

SteveJ
12-29-2006, 14:11

I asked this question a couple of years ago, and got some good advice:

I usually sleep w/ a sock liner, and a fleece sock, with the disposable hand warmers between the 2 if it's going to be very cold (teens in my hammock). I found that my feet were getting cold anyway... Someone advised that I be sure and wear loose socks because tighter socks will limit circulation. Sure 'nuff, I ditched the tight poly sock liner for a stretched out ankle high running sock as my liner, and found my feet stay much warmer now.....

Just a thought!

Seeker
12-31-2006, 00:24
pull your feets inside the tent.

or take 'em off before you put them outside.

seriously, look at SteveJ's comments about 'loose' socks...

another thing to watch is what you've got under your knees, if you sleep on your back... if it's not soft enough, it can hinder the blood flow to your "feets". another trick i've heard of but not had to use is sticking the end of the sleeping bag into your pack, or a large plastic bag, just as added insulation.

vaporjourney
12-31-2006, 11:57
I started another thread on this topic, and got mainly down booties or fleece socks as a recommendation. A few people swear by SealSkinz socks, which I will use as a last resort since they are around $40 a pair at my outdoor store here. Also, backpackinglight.com has some possum down socks that should also be warm, lightweight, and not take as much room in your pack as down booties would.

Lyle
12-31-2006, 12:45
Don't forget about the old hat trick. May also need some extra insulation below your feet. Final solution for me in the very cold are the already recommended Down booties. They work every time, but I usually end up having to take them off at some point during the night when they become too hot - this is a real nice feeling on a cold night.