PDA

View Full Version : thruhike with just three things.

mweinstone
12-28-2006, 22:36
can it be done? my choices are, sword axe dog.
yours? three only!

fiddlehead
12-28-2006, 23:38
food, sleeping bag, waterproof poncho or tarp.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-28-2006, 23:45
Food, shelter and lots of clothing (enough to substitute for mat and bag)

iamscottym
12-29-2006, 00:04
Sherpa, segway, Visa

Dances with Mice
12-29-2006, 00:05
American Express, Visa, and Mastercard.

rafe
12-29-2006, 00:09
American Express, Visa, and Mastercard.

LOL :banana

Singe03
12-29-2006, 01:41
HAHAH Dances with Mice nailed what my answer was going to be...

maxNcathy
12-29-2006, 09:03
three stooges or three wise men

three blind mice or three bears

three amigos or three wishes

MOWGLI
12-29-2006, 09:30
Food, shelter, Salma Hayek.

Heater
12-29-2006, 09:30
three stooges or three wise men

three blind mice or three bears

three amigos or three wishes

Or for the religious, The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost. :D

mweinstone
12-29-2006, 16:18
i said what would you bring. that means you can make anything out there you want. so i can get everything from nature except sword axe dog.

skyhiker2
12-29-2006, 18:41
Me, Myself, and I.......

frequency
12-29-2006, 18:56
mmmmhhhmmmm....
like Inman, food rolled up in poncho (hard tack, parched corn, salt pork) tied over shoulder and around the opposite side (that's a confederate 'horse collar') and a LeMat's
...rite...

Amigi'sLastStand
12-29-2006, 19:01
My knife, a Tarp, and a Platy. Hell, I've done this!

Or

Nicole Kidman, Hally Berry, and Jennifer Lopez.

stumpknocker
12-30-2006, 10:10
A refridgerator full of food, an electric fry pan and a long extention cord. :)

Topcat
12-30-2006, 10:30
Food, shelter, Salma Hayek.
With Salma, who needs food and shelter.....:D

Panzer1
12-30-2006, 16:17
With Salma, who needs food and shelter.....:D

Salma would just bitch the whole time. You'd be sorry and she probably would not give you anything at bedtime.

Panzer

Booley
12-30-2006, 16:22
Salma would just bitch the whole time. You'd be sorry and she probably would not give you anything at bedtime.

Panzer

I'd like to find out!;) Hot tamale!!!

Panzer1
12-30-2006, 17:02
As far as food is concerned, I not sure that "food" would count as one item or multiple items. I mean conceiveably "food" could mean a 4 or 5 day bag of food. Maybe each individual item of food should count as one of the three things you could carry. We will need a ruleing from our moderator on this one!!! Matty, what do you think??

And this does not even address the things that you would be allowed to wear, if any. Would what you are wearing count towards the limit of 3 items. If not I would wear everything I could get ahold of.

If clothes counted toward the limit of 3 things and clothes counts as multiple items, then I would pick
1) boots (assuming that 2 boots counts as one item), 2) pants 3) coat (all choices appropriate to the season.)

Otherwise, if clothes don't count toward the limit, the 3 things I would bring would be:
1) tent, 2) sleeping bag and 3) matress. At least I could get inside if the weather turned bad or it got dark and survive till another day.

Panzer

ps without boots/foot gear, a thru would be impossible for most of us. Boots/foot gear are the single most important item that a backpacker has. Without them you are not going to move very far.

Topcat
12-30-2006, 17:08

Panzer

Ah yea of little faith. In my mind she is wearing the outfit Mary Ann from gilligans island wears, carrying a full pack with all the food and rubs my feet at the end of the day with a smile on here face. :D

T-Dubs
12-30-2006, 21:28
yours? three only!

I'd agree with this list except I'd need some way to cook that dog.

Tom

Tipi Walter
12-30-2006, 21:40
In the book "The Way of the Pilgrim" or "In The Footsteps of the Masters" the first chapter starts out "I left on my journey with a knapsack and a loaf of bread." Just two items.

rafe
12-30-2006, 21:44
In the book "The Way of the Pilgrim" or "In The Footsteps of the Masters" the first chapter starts out "I left on my journey with a knapsack and a loaf of bread." Just two items.

A knapsack just to carry a loaf of bread? ;)

Tipi Walter
12-30-2006, 21:51
I guess carrying a loaf of bread in your hands all the time makes it hard climbing those mountains looking for a master.

Dances with Mice
12-31-2006, 00:00
I guess carrying a loaf of bread in your hands all the time makes it hard climbing those mountains looking for a master.He was climbing mountains to find his wife?

Tipi Walter
12-31-2006, 10:24
He was climbing mountains to find his wife?

He was safe from that fate as what woman would forsake her flush toilets and mirror long enough to even be on a mountain or need a knapsack? OR a poor miscreant who carries one?

No, he was a seeker on a different kind of quest YAWN but in the end he probably did it all unconsciously to impress and find a woman.

mweinstone
01-01-2007, 18:00
panzer, each molicule is an item!. not. clothing or food is one.

mweinstone
01-01-2007, 18:04
sword axe dog is so smart. listen,...assuming we can only take three things means the sociaty has failed and its a free for all. so. were on the run lets say. from gangs of bizzaro world lone wolfs,... and my sword is to slay, my axe is to make the christian crosses on the graves, and the dog keeps guard at night for zombies. wala! hike on!

Alligator
01-01-2007, 18:58
A replicator and a friendly doppleganger.

J Link NJ
01-02-2007, 01:59
marine issue k-bar knife, nalgene bottle, large durable waterproof poncho

fiddlehead
01-02-2007, 09:44
sword axe dog is so smart. listen,...assuming we can only take three things means the sociaty has failed and its a free for all. so. were on the run lets say. from gangs of bizzaro world lone wolfs,... and my sword is to slay, my axe is to make the christian crosses on the graves, and the dog keeps guard at night for zombies. wala! hike on!

You assume what you want, i'll assume it's cold and i'm hungry and it's raining.
You won't last long with your ax in that environment. (but you could eat the dog)
I still say: food, sleeping bag, and poncho

as for the guy who says shoes are the most important thing, you will get a lot further with no shoes and food than the other way around. THAT's been done already. (no shoes)
ps. i leave in 6 days to go back to my life in Thailand. I will only wear shoes on the plane to get there, then it'll be flip flops, shorts, and tank tops for 9 months. don't need much when it's warm and good weather. but we always need air/water/food in that order. (of course water is plentiful on the AT, the air is ok but the food has to be carried if you are going to do any hiking)

Jaybird
01-02-2007, 10:22
food, water, shelter.....

Sly
01-02-2007, 11:48
I still say: food, sleeping bag, and poncho

as for the guy who says shoes are the most important thing, you will get a lot further with no shoes and food than the other way around. THAT's been done already. (no shoes)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/12barefoot_sister___thistle_hill-med.jpg

(looks like the bottom of the picture got cropped)

KneeSox
01-02-2007, 14:31
A serious caution: dog, axe, sword is doable (I tried it in '97), but you must NOT take a dog that understands sword drill.

KneeSox

icemanat95
01-02-2007, 14:59
Empty question.

It would be impossible to manage a thru-hike with only three items. The effort to forage for food and shelter yourself each night, would render forward progress along the trail nigh on impossible.

If regular resupply of food is allowed as normal, things get A LOT simpler, but a thru-hike is still unlikely.

If you assume a good set of boots and one set of suitable clothing, things become more possible, but still unlikely.

Panzer1
01-02-2007, 15:18
...as for the guy who says shoes are the most important thing, you will get a lot further with no shoes and food than the other way around. THAT's been done already. (no shoes) ...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/12barefoot_sister___thistle_hill-med.jpg

(looks like the bottom of the picture got cropped)

I spoke to the 2 girls in this picture (the barefoot sisters who hike the entire AT barefoot) at one of the gatherings. They told me that the only reason they could hike the trail barefoot is because they have been walking barefoot all the time since they were little children. They don't normally wear shoes. They said that they didn't think that a average person such as myself could realistically just take off their shoes and start hiking the AT barefoot and expect to get far, and I agreed with them.

The barefoot sisters did hike the whole trail in their bare feet. And I think that they may have even done the AT a second time as well, but that dosen't mean you could just take off your shoe right now and start hiking and expect to get very far. I have tried to walk from my door out to the curb in my bare feet to get the newspaper and I know just from that that I (and most people like me) would not get very far on the AT in bare feet.

Panzer

Heater
01-02-2007, 17:48
I spoke to the 2 girls in this picture (the barefoot sisters who hike the entire AT barefoot) at one of the gatherings. They told me that the only reason they could hike the trail barefoot is because they have been walking barefoot all the time since they were little children. They don't normally wear shoes. They said that they didn't think that a average person such as myself could realistically just take off their shoes and start hiking the AT barefoot and expect to get far, and I agreed with them.

The barefoot sisters did hike the whole trail in their bare feet. And I think that they may have even done the AT a second time as well, but that dosen't mean you could just take off your shoe right now and start hiking and expect to get very far. I have tried to walk from my door out to the curb in my bare feet to get the newspaper and I know just from that that I (and most people like me) would not get very far on the AT in bare feet.

Panzer

No. They never walked the ENTIRE trail barefoot.

Great picture, though. I am in love, I think?!!

Tipi Walter
01-02-2007, 18:16
This subject brings to mind an idea I had several years ago and it concerns the 7 holy nylons:
Tent - some kind of shelter
Pack- daypack to buttpack to bedroll to backpack
Sleeping Bag- poncho liner to foil emergency blanket
Pad- z-rest to Camp Rest to ensolite
Food Bags- some kind of food
Water Jugs- holding container
Clothing- minimal perhaps

My theory is that these 7 are carried by every backpacker in one form or another. All the other stuff(including boots?)are optional and personal. Boots or shoes could be considered part of clothing. I've heard of some not using any kind of sleeping pad and a few not carrying any kind of water container but they are the exceptions.

Ramble~On
01-02-2007, 22:02
:-? 3 Things

Thing #1: A backpack filled to overflowing with smaller things of usefullness (yes, use your imagination) including super-duper wireless notebook so I could post updates to WB.

Thing #2: :cool: Remember the "Castle Anthrax" skit in Monty Python's "Holy Grail"......yeah well....we'd have a super sized hammock contained inside item #1 that would be more like a trampoline that would become known as Spiritwind's hammock of (censored) & perverse mayhem and naughtiness. Yeah, item #2 would be equipped with 150 virgins between the ages of (censored):eek: and 19.

Thing #3: A complete and entire support crew to keep the party stocked, fed and happy...course someone would have to carry item #1, cook and clean......

fiddlehead
01-02-2007, 23:28
Yeah, on second thought: 1/ a support vehicle fully stocked. 2/ driven by the barefoot sisters. 3/ can't even think of a 3rd item. who needs more?

IAMTHELAW70
01-11-2007, 18:38
jack daniels, johnny walker,jim beam-only the essentials

Paul Bunyan
01-11-2007, 18:50
My three things would be duct tape, k-bar, and lighter.

Here are my reasons.

1. Duct tape can be used to wrap feet- instead of shoes, make pack or hat, or any other clothing items needed. Also can be used as toilet paper in extreme emergency

2. K-bar, to chop wood, to kill food, to create shelter, and to dig trenches (for bathroom).

3. Lighter- for fire, duhh.

fonsie
01-12-2007, 06:59
this is a good one....my knife, sleeping bag and a pot

Hasty
01-18-2007, 19:02
a giant talking carrot, beef jerky, and floss.

Socrates
01-18-2007, 19:18
food, xanax, dallas cowboy cheerleading team

Jester2000
01-18-2007, 19:21
Three other people, one of whom has a four square ball.

MOWGLI
01-18-2007, 19:21
jack daniels, johnny walker,jim beam-only the essentials

22 years old? Hmmm... Figured that out in 1 year? :-?

Jan LiteShoe
01-18-2007, 19:26
1. Duct tape can be used to wrap feet- instead of shoes, make pack or hat, or any other clothing items needed. Also can be used as toilet paper in extreme emergency

Duct tape as toilet paper?
The mind boggles!
:)

neo
01-18-2007, 19:29
yours? three only!
:D lets see ya do it dude:cool: neo

i think you are a freakin idiot

Jan LiteShoe
01-18-2007, 19:36
:D lets see ya do it dude:cool: neo

i think you are a freakin idiot

He's clearly just playing.
No need to be harsh.

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 19:41
Duct tape as toilet paper?
The mind boggles!

=============================

...and the buns pucker !!

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
01-18-2007, 19:44
=============================

...and the buns pucker !!

'Slogger
Puts a whole new slant on "anal."

Footslogger
01-18-2007, 19:48
Puts a whole new slant on "anal."

=========================

...not to mention retentive !!

'Slogger

Jan LiteShoe
01-18-2007, 20:12
=========================

...not to mention retentive !!

'Slogger

Agreed. The anticipation would put the crimp on me!

Jester2000
01-18-2007, 20:13
Wait, wait! Just remembered that I need my Tractor Supply Company shirt. So my three would be

Tractor Supply Company Shirt
TWO other people, one of whom has a friend with him who has a four square ball.

bfitz
01-18-2007, 20:25
Fiddlehead, Jester, and the Goat. And one of Jesters 3 people ought to be Mathewski.

Jester2000
01-19-2007, 18:15
Fiddlehead, Jester, and the Goat. And one of Jesters 3 people ought to be Mathewski.

Oh. absolutely. And one of them would be Tea Tree. And she would have a four square ball, and the person she would have with her will remain unannounced, so that I can tell each of my friends that it's them.

mweinstone
01-19-2007, 18:48
i cant bare this. you guys never even figured out that this was a question. that means theres only one answer. its so obviouse. everyone knows the three things you need. everyone.

coconutss
ss minnow
the professor

Jester2000
01-19-2007, 19:09
See, I wasn't picking three things to help me survive. I was picking three things that would keep me happy 'til I die.

Jan LiteShoe
01-20-2007, 09:25
See, I wasn't picking three things to help me survive. I was picking three things that would keep me happy 'til I die.

The man clearly has his priorities straight.

bfitz
01-23-2007, 19:11
i cant bare this. you guys never even figured out that this was a question. that means theres only one answer. its so obviouse. everyone knows the three things you need. everyone.

coconutss
ss minnow
the professor
Forget the Minnow and the professor...I'd rather have Ginger, Maryanne and the coconuts.

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 20:16
wrong bfitzski, episode 31, the professor used the first aid kit from the minnow combined with the coconuts to make a time machine. he could then bring back any woman. ginger goes to like 45 on the list . right next to cleopatra. #46

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 20:18
admit it . ginger over cleopatra any day. for the hollywood side at least.

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 20:19
no body wants a chick from a time when they were treated like dirt. we want ginger the real princess!

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 20:21
we need a gilligans island thread . what should it read?

ummmmm.......
time jumped!
you are timenapped from time while thruhiking. you are placed on gilligans island as a hungry wet tired hiker. go!
u like?

bfitz
01-23-2007, 20:40
no body wants a chick from a time when they were treated like dirt. we want ginger the real princess!
Not only treated like dirt, but covered in it! Unshaved and smelly, too. Wait a minute! I love hiker chicks, but who needs a time machine to find one of those?

bfitz
01-23-2007, 20:41
Not only treated like dirt, but covered in it! Unshaved and smelly, too.There's a whiteblaze thread about this.

Jan LiteShoe
01-24-2007, 00:30

"All you need is love,
love.
Love is all you need."

bfitz
01-24-2007, 00:48
Love, love, love....

Jan you're right! John Lennon knew what he was talking about.

the goat
01-24-2007, 01:07

amen brother.

we'd have a hell of a good time, whether we survived or not!

bfitz
01-24-2007, 01:18
We'd die in a blaze of glory that's for sure. A flaming flower of death.