PDA

View Full Version : Start in mid May, NOBO or SOBO?

Earl Grey
12-29-2006, 00:28
Which would be better and why?

TJ aka Teej
12-29-2006, 00:31
In mid May, the AT from Katahdin Stream Campground to Baxter Peak will probably not be open. Usually doesn't open officially until Memorial Day weekend.

Jim Adams
12-29-2006, 00:34
you could, for a little of both worlds, start at trail days and go nobo then after K go back to Damascus and finish sobo.

rafe
12-29-2006, 00:56

A bit late for nobo, a bit early for sobo -- geek has the right idea.

There are other variations, of course -- eg, sobo from Damascus after trail days, then flop to Katahdin and sobo from there back to Damascus (if you want to avoid the wave altogether.)

emerald
12-29-2006, 01:07
See Appalachian Trail Conservancy > Hike the Trail > Thru-Hiking > Alternative Itineraries (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm) for ideas.

woodsy
12-29-2006, 06:26
A mid May start in Maine could be a bit sloppy with snow still melting in the mountains . Rivers and streams may still be running high not to mention cold spring rains.
Last spring a guy headed north from Hannover in May and had a rough go of it with ice and snow still on the trails. The snow on north slopes hangs around till June some years.

rafe
12-29-2006, 07:58
Mid may in the Whites is miserable -- for exactly the reasons the reasons Woodsy states. And if the snow & high streams don't get you, the bugs will.

PJ 2005
12-29-2006, 12:20
Can black flies kill you? Starting a SOBO in May is probably a good way to find out...

woodsy
12-29-2006, 12:38
The Maine Blackfly http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html (http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html)

Lone Wolf
12-29-2006, 12:39

NOBO to Harpers Ferry then flip to Maine and come SOBO.

Frosty
12-29-2006, 15:06
The Maine Blackfly http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html (http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html)Interesting bit of information from the link:

"Black flies often swarm around a person's head because they are attracted to carbon dioxide in the breath.

So right away my inner engineer says to take along a lightweight flexible tube, maybe a half inch in diameter about 12 to 14 inches long. In areas of intense black fly infestation, put the tube in your mouth. Breathe in through your nose, and out of your mouth into the tube. Let the tube hang free and the CO2 is concentrated away from your head. Better yet, an 18 inch long piece of flexible tubing could be placed over the shoulder to exhaust the CO2 rearward. This, in combination with your walking forward, could keep the black flies swarming around a spot two or three feet to your read.

Just don't walk two-three feet behind someone who is using this set-up

rafe
12-29-2006, 15:26
So right away my inner engineer says to take along a lightweight flexible tube, maybe a half inch in diameter about 12 to 14 inches long. In areas of intense black fly infestation, put the tube in your mouth. Breathe in through your nose, and out of your mouth into the tube. Let the tube hang free and the CO2 is concentrated away from your head. Better yet, an 18 inch long piece of flexible tubing could be placed over the shoulder to exhaust the CO2 rearward. This, in combination with your walking forward, could keep the black flies swarming around a spot two or three feet to your read.

All very interesting... but a head-net is a lot simpler.;)

ed bell
12-29-2006, 15:46
All very interesting... but a head-net is a lot simpler.;)True, but I really hate wearing a head-net. I almost feel claustrophobic when I wear one, for some reason.

rafe
12-29-2006, 16:20
True, but I really hate wearing a head-net. I almost feel claustrophobic when I wear one, for some reason.

I'd feel a let weirder walking the trail exhaling through a tube. I don't like having to use the head net, but those bleepin' flies dive-bombing my eyes and ears are far worse.

ed bell
12-29-2006, 16:21
No doubt about that.

Peaks
12-29-2006, 17:12
NOBO to Harpers Ferry then flip to Maine and come SOBO.

Or, start at HF and NOBO, then flip back for the southern half. That way, you will have the better weather all the way north, and avoid most of the summer heat and humidity in the south.

emerald
12-29-2006, 18:52
Hypothetically speaking ... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116) may be helpful.

max patch
12-29-2006, 19:21
As previously mentioned, you probably couldn't start a SOBO 5/15 as K would be closed. And if you could conditions would not be favorable.

I started 5/1 and finished my NOBO thru without any problems. However, starting a couple weeks later in mid May I don't think I would have been able to summit. So, personally, I would start at Springer and around DWG start monitoring my progress to determine if a flip would be necessary.

Earl Grey
12-29-2006, 21:26
After thinking about it ill probaly start at Harpers Ferry and go north then come back to HF and go south. This seems to be the most logical choice.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2007, 11:15
After thinking about it ill probaly start at Harpers Ferry and go north then come back to HF and go south. This seems to be the most logical choice.

Hi blackmath (and all - my first post here :)

Your's is a wise choice. The breathing tube and headnet are interesting ideas though. That way you could suck the buggers directly into your lungs with that good rich pulmonary blood readily available, and the headnet would ensure that the expirated ones didn't leave until they drank their fill of your blood from your face. Late season snow at higher elevations and mud from the spring thaw will make sure you don't outrun them as well.

Peoples reaction to black fly bites can vary widely. Some people have rather severe allergic reactions to the black fly bites, with ulcerations and scarring, etc. Others seem almost immune to them. I'm in the middle, with the bite oozing for a few days and then healing within a week or so. I spend quite a bit of time outdoors here in northern NH, and the only things that keeps them at bay is #1 wind, and #2 stinky cigars. DEET helps, (especially applied under a hat brim as does a fabric softener sheet in the hat), but the more determined ones will still get you.

They are at they're worst in the mountains(as in AT) more so than in the valleys(unlike mosquitos they breed in running water). To give you an idea of how bad they can be, I took a friend for a sightseeing ride on the Kancamagus Hwy up into the White Mountains in mid May one year. In the time it took us to open and close the car doors(10 seconds), there were literally hundreds of them in the car. They will find their way into ANY opening in your clothing, crawl up your legs, under your hair, etc. The North Country is beautiful - but May is both the worst of black fly and the tail-end of mud season, neither of which is conducive to enjoyable hiking. You are doing this for fun, right? ;-)

Earl Grey
01-08-2007, 22:20
Hi blackmath (and all - my first post here :)

Your's is a wise choice. The breathing tube and headnet are interesting ideas though. That way you could suck the buggers directly into your lungs with that good rich pulmonary blood readily available, and the headnet would ensure that the expirated ones didn't leave until they drank their fill of your blood from your face. Late season snow at higher elevations and mud from the spring thaw will make sure you don't outrun them as well.

Peoples reaction to black fly bites can vary widely. Some people have rather severe allergic reactions to the black fly bites, with ulcerations and scarring, etc. Others seem almost immune to them. I'm in the middle, with the bite oozing for a few days and then healing within a week or so. I spend quite a bit of time outdoors here in northern NH, and the only things that keeps them at bay is #1 wind, and #2 stinky cigars. DEET helps, (especially applied under a hat brim as does a fabric softener sheet in the hat), but the more determined ones will still get you.

They are at they're worst in the mountains(as in AT) more so than in the valleys(unlike mosquitos they breed in running water). To give you an idea of how bad they can be, I took a friend for a sightseeing ride on the Kancamagus Hwy up into the White Mountains in mid May one year. In the time it took us to open and close the car doors(10 seconds), there were literally hundreds of them in the car. They will find their way into ANY opening in your clothing, crawl up your legs, under your hair, etc. The North Country is beautiful - but May is both the worst of black fly and the tail-end of mud season, neither of which is conducive to enjoyable hiking. You are doing this for fun, right? ;-)

Haha thats a crazy story. I could imagine all those flies getting into my tent and bothering the hell out of me. Oh and :welcome

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2007, 23:17
Haha thats a crazy story. I could imagine all those flies getting into my tent and bothering the hell out of me. Oh and :welcome

Thanks for the :welcome and good luck on your hike! :)