PDA

View Full Version : hiking with allergies?

mike!
12-29-2006, 02:28
Hello all, im mainly a summer hiker, and never really experianced much spring hiking because im usually stuck inside the house with a box of tissues. you see, i've got a problem with Pollen. tried some various medications with vague success but nothing to write home about. is Thru-hiking in the begining of April a recipe for madness? does anyone else have a sensitivity to Pollen and get by allright? my only issue is with the runny nose, in fact usually so clogged, snot rockets result in Columbia like disasters..
thanks!
mike!

Singe03
12-29-2006, 02:55
Hey Mike,

I'm not sure this helps, but I have horried allergies that impact me at home and went GA-NH with only a few days I'd consider even moderately bad allergy days. I'm guessing that whatever I'm allergic to here just wasn't on the AT except in New Jersey (where most of my "bad" days happened).

So, its entirely possible that your going to get to Springer and think "WOW, I feel great"... Just because of the environment change, I did. I carried some sinus meds with me and they were untouched for months.

Also... recently I started using the zycam nasal spray at home and its the first thing I've found that really has a good, consistent impact on my allergy problems. In fact, my sinuses were so clear that it actually caused me problems sleeping (if you can imagine that), you get used to a certain way things feel and I was breathing so easily through my nose that it was driving me crazy and keeping me awake. I had to stop using it for a few hours before bed.

rafe
12-29-2006, 08:06
I find my allergies lessen on the trail. But I do carry Benadryl... it has other uses. Great for dealing with bee/wasp stings, encounters with "poisonous" plants, and insomnia.

moondoggy
12-29-2006, 10:09
My wife really suffers with allergies and very serious sinus problems, 5 operations in the last 8 years.....When we hiked this year she said it was the first time in a long long while she didn't wake up with a headache and or sneezing her but off.....

Touch of Grey
12-29-2006, 10:11
I can sympathize with you all. I have an allergy to pollen and dust and when the pollen and dust are high I too suffer. I have found that regular Benadryl does not cut it for me. I have to use the Dye-Free stuff which lessens but does not relieve the problem. I still use a nostril spray occasionally but try to make it just a saline solution one to keep everything moist. Occasionally it needs to be one of the more potent ones though.

I'll be doing a thru beginning in March from Springer and plan to carry combative and relieving meds for me. I've never found a med from a doctor that works for long and the allergists charges an arm and a leg for the shots. Short of stopping breathing or living, I wish there were something more I could do also. But like getting Lasik surgery for my poor eyesight (cannot do it due to dry eye syndrome and its not correctable either) I have resigned myself to living with these things.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist for some help, either can suggest something or sometimes give you some samples they have of things that sometimes work well. One of my grother-in-laws has sinus issues and the doctor gave him something for asthmatics (something orally indicated) that he says works well for him. Everyone is definitely different and so you should not deviate too much from a doctors advise by listening to any of us.

TOG

teachergal
12-29-2006, 23:55
I have horrible allergies too - I have found what works best is a combo of perscription drugs - zyrtec, nasonex, patenol (as needed for the eyes), singulair (as needed, during tough times), I also get allergy shots so I'm hoping to cut back on the meds soon - my big allergen though is leaf mold and as much as I love hiking getting the mold gives me a pounding headache - took me years to figure out why I feel crappy after a hike before I figured out it was the mold. If polled in your only nemeiss I bet you will be OK thru-hiking, but make sure it's only the pollen you are allergic too!
Good luck with your thru...keep us posted! Are you keeping a journal?