PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of that Bleach/Iodine taste, on the cheap!

virtualfrog
12-29-2006, 02:30
I was talking w/ my chemist/reg. santarian father re: the Aqua Mira not killing Giardia thread, and the normal commercially available treatments on the market.

His recommendation (industry standard for water purification plants) was 1oz bleach or iodine per 10 gallons untreated (but generally sediment free) water. This works out to 7 drops of 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) per guart/liter of water. Probably 6 drops/quart for Chlorox Ultra. His recommendation was no less than 5 drops for very clean water sources (assuming you're going to treat them). Wait 1/2 hour as usual.

He also told me how to get rid of that nasty bleach/iodine taste, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate
Sodium Thiosulfate is a non-toxic, readily available, reductant that will instantly remove the taste but reacting the chlorine/iodine out of the water. Read the wiki article for information.

This is used all the time in water purification plants if too much chlorine remains in solution. Same for swimming pools. It's also available in any pet store as chlorine remover for aquariums. You can eat the pure powdered form, so just experiment to see how much it takes.

He's going to make me up a small bottle of 10% solution, it'll take less than 1 drop/quart to do the job. Oughta last me about a lifetime for free :).

Lone Wolf
12-29-2006, 02:37
I'll just stick to not treating or frigging with my water in any way. Tastes best right out of the ground.:)

virtualfrog
12-29-2006, 02:42
Agreed. But, I don't like carrying nothing, and none of the treatments out there 'hit the spot' for me enough to stop carrying my Sweetwater filter before. I anticipate it hitting eBay soon now, though.

Aqua Mira - approx. $0.14 in materials in his estimation. It might work nicely, but no way am I giving them that much profit!

RAT
12-29-2006, 03:23
I still filter it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,through my teeth right from the ground !!!

RAT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2006, 06:17
Thank you for the info, virtualfrog.

While I, like LW and Rat, prefer my water straight from a stream coming off a pristine mountain top or from a spring, I do treat when I know there is something in the area that could taint the water or my dino intution tells me to treat. I used good old household bleach for many years - 6 drops per quart. The male dino does not like the taste. I also have some Polar Pure, but rarely used it because of the taste. Using this in addition to bleach or iodine would get my beloved male dino to drink more.

Hana_Hanger
12-29-2006, 08:00
Thank you for sharing this infor...it is by far cheaper than the Klear Water I have been using and and also replacing filters on my First Needs Water Purifier. :)

virtualfrog
12-29-2006, 11:10
Another even more readily attainable solution - Vitamin C

Ascorbic acid will also act as a reductant. Just grind up a Vitamin C tablet (make sure it's the ascorbic acid variety, some aren't), and put a pinch of the powder in your water bottle.

Outlaw
12-29-2006, 12:39
Virtualfrog, I am NOT a scientist; I really don't very know much about chemistry except what little I learned in a HS chem class some 30 yrs ago. I am NOT looking to be combative or argumentative, but I did read in detail the Wikipedia article you attached to your first post. Specifically, it said:

To dechlorinate tap water for aquariums or treat effluent from waste water treatments prior to release into rivers.
To lower chlorine levels in swimming pools and spas following super chlorination. (Emphasis added).

There is a huge difference IMHO treating waste water a/k/a treated sewerage than treating a potable (drinking) water supply system. In addition, how many people do you know that drink the quantities of swimming pool or spa a/k/a hot tub water one would consume during a section or thru hike? Perhaps a small mouthful here and there (I avoid it at all costs and shower immediately upon exiting a pool or hot tub).

As for myself, I'll just stick with my own, non-chemical methods of treatment unless I find a natural spring, in which I generally don't bother with any form of treatment or filtration.

virtualfrog
12-29-2006, 14:36
There is a huge difference IMHO treating waste water a/k/a treated sewerage than treating a potable (drinking) water supply system. In addition, how many people do you know that drink the quantities of swimming pool or spa a/k/a hot tub water one would consume during a section or thru hike? Perhaps a small mouthful here and there (I avoid it at all costs and shower immediately upon exiting a pool or hot tub).

As for myself, I'll just stick with my own, non-chemical methods of treatment unless I find a natural spring, in which I generally don't bother with any form of treatment or filtration.

I prefer untreated myself, but I am generally in areas that I'm not familiar enough with to usually feel safe. I'm also relatively new to this backpacking thing, and still learning. Sadly, I needed filters this past year, since every day I was on the Long Trail, it was pouring rain, and the sedimentation was insane.

That said:
As we all know, wikipedia is often incomplete, etc,. I put that in simply as a reference to learn a bit more about the chemical, so this wasn't merely along the realm of hearsay.

The reality: Chlorine, Iodine, and other Halogens (esp. Bromine) are effective water treatments, and are used in potable water supply treatment the world over. These leave a nasty taste however (Bromine also burns the skin, is not so commonly naturally occuring, and is expensive). Sodium Thiosulfate and Ascorbic acid are entirely non-toxic (one is even a vitamin!), and act as a reductant in chlorinated/"iodinated" waters, and react w/ those elements to form a 100% safe/potable result. Sodium Thiosulfate is safe enough (note the EPA rating of non-toxic in the wiki) that you can eat the powder without ever experiencing ill effects. Same with Vitamin C. AFAIK, it's impossible to O.D. on C. You just piss out the unprocessed extras.

Would I want to drink pool water? If it's at a good chlorine level, it wouldn't bother me much. Legal minimum is 1ppm, which is hard to notice. The problem is (at least in my area) most pools are run by people who have no clue what they're doing, or of the chemical levels in the water.

From what I can see, there's a lot of people out there unwilling to give up their nice 'n' heavy water filters due to chlorine/iodine taste. This gives a safe, cheap, easy method with common resupply-point capable items to remove the taste.

Outlaw
12-29-2006, 15:43
VF, here's a post from another thread on this topic. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=234882&postcount=25

I currently use an MSR filter, but I'm looking to switch to an Aquastar UV-C water purifier http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?cid=452&pid=10006&gclid=CLan2u-2uIkCFRMWFQodtVIxWA.

If all goes well, I'm hoping to do the LT (NOBO) this summer.

rafe
12-29-2006, 16:22
I currently use an MSR filter, but I'm looking to switch to an Aquastar UV-C water purifier http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?cid=452&pid=10006&gclid=CLan2u-2uIkCFRMWFQodtVIxWA.

Of all the water-purification systems I've seen, this one (and the portable/handheld versions) are the most "faith-based." They don't work for ***** on cloudy (murky) water. Too bad. :(

Dances with Mice
12-29-2006, 17:53
Quick note: If you use ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) or whatever, including powdered drink mixes, to clear the taste of your treated water be SURE to rinse the container well before refilling and retreating.

The reason why is left as an exercise for the students.

Two Speed
12-30-2006, 08:43
Umm, cuz the Vit C is a catalyst and will neutralize the next dose of iodine?

Dances with Mice
12-30-2006, 10:31
Umm, cuz the Vit C is a catalyst and will neutralize the next dose of iodine?It's a reactant rather than a catalyst but I'll give full credit for the answer. If you use a neutralizing agent but don't rinse it all out, you'll start the next treatment at less than full strength. Once I heard one of our Eagle scouts telling younger kids that if they added lemonaid mix before putting in the iodine pellets, the water never turned that ugly brown color. And he was exactly right, but...

Two Speed
12-30-2006, 10:33
Does this story end with one of those regrettable episodes revolving around digging catholes by any chance?

Dances with Mice
12-30-2006, 10:36
Does this story end with one of those regrettable episodes revolving around digging catholes by any chance?No, that story begins by telling a new scout to "soap the pot" before cooking over a wood fire.

Skidsteer
12-30-2006, 10:38
No, that story begins by telling a new scout to "soap the pot" before cooking over a wood fire.

...and neglecting to specify which side of the pot to soap? :D

Two Speed
12-30-2006, 10:40
Mmmm, THAT explains my over-consumption of TP. Now I don't have to carry six rolls of TP and maybe I won't be mistaken for MS anymore. :eek:

And some people think thread swerve is bad.