PDA

View Full Version : Soruck 2007

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gadog430
12-29-2006, 12:03
Hi everyone. Just a reminder that the Southern Ruck...SORUCK... is coming up on MLK, Jr. Weekend. January 13th, 14th & some stay the 15th also.

If you are planning to attend and could bring a food item(s) to help feed the masses...please go to soruck.com and then look under 'How to Help' on the left hand side at 'Needful Things'. We still have lots of holes. Email me and I will add the item to the list.

If there is something you would like to bring that isn't on the list, just bring it. Trust me...someone will eat it.

We will have Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on Saturday for the Rucksters. All the food is provided by the attendants and lovingly prepared by your friends. To me, this has always made the whole event have the feel of the hiking community...we're just all in it together.

Miss Janet and Tin Man do breakfast Sunday morning.

If you have any questions at all email me or Sly.
My email is [email protected].
Sly's email is [email protected].

Thanks. And I can't wait to see you there.
MeatLoafDawg:banana :banana :banana

Ps. Just a reminder, this is my last year as Food Meister. I am looking for a volunteer to carry on. If you are interested in doing that please drop me an email. This is an unpaid position...that I promise will bring your more fulfillment than any million dollars ever could. lol

rafe
12-29-2006, 12:12
Miss Janet and Tin Man do breakfast Sunday morning.

Dawg, I won't be there (long way from beantown) but please do give my regards to TinMan.

D'Artagnan
12-29-2006, 12:24
For consideration, how many people should one plan for when committing to bring paper products? THANKS!!!

rafe
12-29-2006, 12:36
For consideration, how many people should one plan for when committing to bring paper products? THANKS!!!

If m.s. is planning to be there, you'll need lots of TP. ;)

Sly
12-29-2006, 12:52

I'm not sure how many will actually show up but I have 95 requests for nametags (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=287294&postcount=82), mostly by those staying for the weekend. Going by previous years we can probably expect up to 30% more unannounced guests that drop in for a day/night.

Gadog430
12-29-2006, 12:58
Last year, at various meals on Saturday, we fed 120. I have been planning this year for 150.

Already, we have many donations for paper products because some people are traveling distances and cannot bring preparead items.

The items I am most worried about are Breakfast meats and Soups or Chilis for Saturday lunch.

Also, I forgot to add in the post...the SORUCK is the NOC in Wesser, NC.

Dawg

Ps. Terrapin, I will do that. I can't wait to see the new svelte Tin Man.

Spirit Walker
12-29-2006, 18:31
Sly - I notice you don't have any general discussion event on thruhiking the AT. Isn't there anyone from recent years who wants to lead such a discussion? Is there anyone who plans to hike this year who wants such a discussion? I know you get a lot of that informally - but it might be helpful for this year's class to have a group activity where everyone gets to ask and answer questions.

Also - is anyone still going to be there Sunday afternoon for our CDT slide show? Assuming we do get it together, do you know if Spur will still be there with his projector or does someone else have a projector (not slides but digital) that we can use?

Sly
12-29-2006, 18:50
Warren's doing his thing and we'll have three hours available during "Tucker Time" on Sunday for Q&A's. That should be enough! If aspiring thru-hikers can't get their questions answered in that amount of time they can always ask here or on the at-l.

Last year we still had a good crowd well into late Sunday afternoon. I'll be bringing a digital projector you can use...

D'Artagnan
12-29-2006, 23:05
=Also - is anyone still going to be there Sunday afternoon for our CDT slide show?

I'm looking forward to the CDT information as I'm interested in doing something in the Wind River Range. Thanks for sharing this experience.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2006, 23:11
I really wish i could go. I have heard so much about the people at this and really wanna meet everyone. I will make Traildays. Have fun everyone.

Sly
12-30-2006, 08:02
I'm looking forward to the CDT information as I'm interested in doing something in the Wind River Range. Thanks for sharing this experience.

You'll love Wind River Range, some of the very best backpacking anywhere and I took the less scenic "official" route.

I highly recommend the Earthwalk press maps...

http://www.wildirisclimbing.com/maps.htm

Gadog430
12-30-2006, 21:43
Just a reminder that there is a Pot Luck dinner Friday night at the SORUCK.

I think it was posted on some of the other lists early on, but it may have been overlooked in mention the past few weeks.

Please feel free to bring your favorite dish to share on Friday night.

Some people that are on both WB and The List have already volunteered a dish, and it is very very very appreciated.

If you have volunteered a dish for Friday night, or if you want to just go ahead and bring a dish, please feel free to do so. I have not been doing any updating on the Friday night dinner on our volunteer list.

Please feel free to email me personally with any questions or comments.

Dawg
Email: [email protected]

Lone Wolf
12-30-2006, 21:47
I'll bring sumptin for Fri. dinner along with some breakfast meats. K?

Dances with Mice
12-30-2006, 22:59
I've also got something for Fri dinner.

Do you still need soup for one of the lunches?

And I've got the world's largest roll of paper towels.

Gadog430
01-02-2007, 11:56
I think we are going to have more paper towles that we know what to do with. But I am thankful for all donations.

Mice...We do need soup for lunch on Saturday. So that would be great, and a BIG BIG thanks for that.

Lone Wolf...That would be great about Friday night. It's just Pot Luck so just toss it in the kitchen. I am SURE that someone will eat it. with rgards to the breakfast meat, I had someone volunteer for 4 pounds of Bacon. So we might be good to go there. Could I talk you into bringing three pound of Hamburger meat and I will make one more meatloaf on Saturday night? Just let me know.

Dawg

Sly
01-02-2007, 12:04
if you think you have enough, maybe you could close off the paper towels and add trash bags! We'll need 'em.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-02-2007, 13:44
I'll bring a roll of trash bags - I assume we need the big ones used for outdoor trash cans????

We are staying in a cabin so I'll bring my stock pot and big crock pot so I can cook on site. I could also cook stuff like corn bread (southern style - no sugar or whole corn)....

What foods are still needed? I make a mean pot of veggie soup... and my BBQ'ed toes are great, too :D

Lilred
01-02-2007, 13:51
Sorry to be missing this one. I broke my foot. I can hike mountains but I can't walk on sidewalks.

Sly
01-02-2007, 13:57
I'll bring a roll of trash bags - I assume we need the big ones used for outdoor trash cans????

We are staying in a cabin so I'll bring my stock pot and big crock pot so I can cook on site. I could also cook stuff like corn bread (southern style - no sugar or whole corn)....

What foods are still needed? I make a mean pot of veggie soup... and my BBQ'ed toes are great, too :D

Thanks FD. Click here and fill in some blanks, then let Dawg know.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/food.htm

I'll be doing a final update next week.

Sly
01-02-2007, 13:58
Sorry to be missing this one. I broke my foot. I can hike mountains but I can't walk on sidewalks.

There are no sidewalks at the NOC! :)

Smile
01-02-2007, 14:54
I have a great papertowel recipe!

Wish I could go this year - last year's highlight was the PCT slideshow and I highly recommend any new thrubie's get TUCKERIZED. Worth the time, and so much info gleaned......I would do it again!

little bear
01-02-2007, 17:07
Gadog, Sly please let me know what is needed and I will bring it. Are there any grocery stores near by, that I can pick up things?

Little Bear

Sly
01-02-2007, 17:12
Gadog, Sly please let me know what is needed and I will bring it. Are there any grocery stores near by, that I can pick up things?

Check the website and fil in one of the blanks..... Bryson City is only 20 minutes away, so unless you want to bring something from home, you can pick something up along the way.

Gadog430
01-02-2007, 17:44
We do need Trash Bags, and I think we will have enough Paper Towels.

Will post again from home when I update tonight.

Dawg

Sly
01-02-2007, 18:24
I'm working on putting up an interactive web based spreadsheet. Hopefully it'll work. Give me about an hour.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-02-2007, 18:47
Do we need to specify what we are bringing to the potluck?

Sat Breakfast:
2 lbs of bacon
2 lbs of sausage

Sat Lunch:
a 2 lb bag of shredded cheddar cheese
about 2 - 3 gallons of Mamaw Dino's homemade veggie soup (vegan)

Sat dinner:
A No 10 can of Green Peas
Brownies

Other:
Iced tea mix (sugar sweetened with lemon - makes seven gallons)
Sugar - five pound bag
Trash Bags - a roll of 33 gallon trash bags

Mother Nature
01-02-2007, 20:30
I am bringing a crockpot filled with split pea soup and ham. I don't see it listed on the "needs list".. perhaps because I mentioned I was bringing it for Friday night in my email. If it is needed more on Saturday, we can use it then.

I bought the makings for cherry cobbler than got a good laugh when I saw an update on the needs list that someone else had already entered two cherry cobblers. I'll bring it anyway as I never met hikers that would turn down food.

I am also bringing some homemade Mounds candy and homemade Peppermint Patties.

Mother Nature

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 20:46
I am bringing a crockpot filled with split pea soup and ham. I don't see it listed on the "needs list".. perhaps because I mentioned I was bringing it for Friday night in my email. If it is needed more on Saturday, we can use it then.

I bought the makings for cherry cobbler than got a good laugh when I saw an update on the needs list that someone else had already entered two cherry cobblers. I'll bring it anyway as I never met hikers that would turn down food.

Mother Nature

I eat cherry cobbler.
:)

Sly
01-02-2007, 20:57
I changed things around and made the food list interactive (http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/wbfoodlist.html). I'll go ahead and add FD's and MN's contributions...

Thanks.

Sly
01-02-2007, 21:03
The more food the better. Leftovers for Sunday Lunch

Lion King
01-02-2007, 21:31
dang it dang it dang it!

I wanna go

Ewker
01-02-2007, 21:32
dang it dang it dang it!

I wanna go

come on down, what else do you have to do:sun

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 01:12
Dinos,

We don't need the Bacon (already have 6 pounds).
And we don't need the sugar (have two 5 pound bags already)

And with regards to the Iced Tea mix, that's fine, but we are telling ppl they are on their own with beverages. But you want to share, and that is GREAT!!!

Dawg

Do we need to specify what we are bringing to the potluck?

Sat Breakfast:
2 lbs of bacon
2 lbs of sausage

Sat Lunch:
a 2 lb bag of shredded cheddar cheese
about 2 - 3 gallons of Mamaw Dino's homemade veggie soup (vegan)

Sat dinner:
A No 10 can of Green Peas
Brownies

Other:
Iced tea mix (sugar sweetened with lemon - makes seven gallons)
Sugar - five pound bag
Trash Bags - a roll of 33 gallon trash bags

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 01:14
I have the soup down for Friday Night. I updated the Cherry Pie for Saturday.

THANK YOU!@!@!@!@
Dawg

Mother Nature

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2007, 07:29
Change my 2 lbs bacon to 2 more pounds of sausage for a total of 4 lbs of sausage. The iced tea mix is still coming - the he-dino could drink that much in a weekend :D.
Dinos,

And we don't need the sugar (have two 5 pound bags already)

And with regards to the Iced Tea mix, that's fine, but we are telling ppl they are on their own with beverages. But you want to share, and that is GREAT!!!

Dawg

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 09:15
Dinos,

I can put you down for that much sausage. Here is the problem we are going to encounter, we may need to cook that in a cabin and bring it over. We are just a little space limited...but we will get it cooked. Even if we have to cook it late Friday night. Late Friday night is only six hours from breakfast. lolol

Just need to ask...were you planning to help with breakfast Saturday morning? If so, maybe we can get you into Cabin C and you can cook it there.

That is terrific on the tea. Thanks for all your generosity.

Dawg

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 10:18
I think we are going to have more paper towles that we know what to do with. But I am thankful for all donations.

Mice...We do need soup for lunch on Saturday. So that would be great, and a BIG BIG thanks for that.

Lone Wolf...That would be great about Friday night. It's just Pot Luck so just toss it in the kitchen. I am SURE that someone will eat it. with rgards to the breakfast meat, I had someone volunteer for 4 pounds of Bacon. So we might be good to go there. Could I talk you into bringing three pound of Hamburger meat and I will make one more meatloaf on Saturday night? Just let me know.

Dawg

i will bring 3lb. of burger and something for friday nite.

StarLyte
01-03-2007, 10:20
Dinos,

I can put you down for that much sausage. Here is the problem we are going to encounter, we may need to cook that in a cabin and bring it over. We are just a little space limited...but we will get it cooked. Even if we have to cook it late Friday night. Late Friday night is only six hours from breakfast. lolol

Just need to ask...were you planning to help with breakfast Saturday morning? If so, maybe we can get you into Cabin C and you can cook it there.

That is terrific on the tea. Thanks for all your generosity.

Dawg

Dear Goddess.......

Saturday morning after breakfast......

I need an oven to cook 4 pork roasts. I'll need a table top to pull it apart for bbq application. Two roasts will have liquor, two won't. Surprise and FYI.

I need a stove top to cook 4 gallons of split pea and ham soup. LOTS of ham goin on here.

I need room to decorate two 10" dia layer cakes....one white frosted with lucious toasted coconut, they other rich chocolate....you know the ones....

Does that qualify me for kitchen space rental? I beggin ya.....

where's that stupid banana......:banana

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 10:26
10 foot in diameter layer cake? Crikey!!:eek:

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 10:30
Dear Star Goddess,

First of all...you are far too kind.

After Breakfast in the morning, the kitchen should be available to meet your needs. There isn't anything going on in there until Lunch, and that is about 12:30...so it will probably crank up about 12:00. That leaves several hours.

However, I would like to advise you that this Goddess will be out on the trail. So just jump right in there and tell them that 'Goddess of all things Dawg (winners of their bowl game in a come from behind fashion)' said it was ok.

You can pull apart the pork at the tables in the dining room and I think that's probably the best place to ice the cakes also. I bet there will be help lurking in the area.

I am hoping for good weather so that there can be congregation on the deck...that frees up some space.

Goddess Dawg

TOW
01-03-2007, 10:30
hey Starlyte, if you need me to help ya do anything, then you got it!

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 10:31
We're going for the SORUCK to get into the Guinness Book of World Records.

Now where's that damned banana. :banana :banana

Dawg

10 foot in diameter layer cake? Crikey!!:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2007, 12:03
I'll bring precooked sausage -- just need to heat it and I'll do that in whatever cabin I'm in. One thing, I can't safely carry much weight on steep grades or stairs due to ortho problems so try to put me in a cabin where those won't be problems if possible. We could use the stove in my cabin to heat up / keep warm whatever is needed for the meals.

Sly
01-03-2007, 12:38
I'll bring precooked sausage -- just need to heat it and I'll do that in whatever cabin I'm in. One thing, I can't safely carry much weight on steep grades or stairs due to ortho problems so try to put me in a cabin where those won't be problems if possible. We could use the stove in my cabin to heat up / keep warm whatever is needed for the meals.

Yeah, since stoves at NOC are limited, the more you can cook beforehand the better.

FD your cabin won't have a stove, but a microwave. I think most of the other cabins do have stoves along with 2 in the kitchen of the community building.

To get to your cabin (D), it's mostly on a level path with a few steps. If you need any help carrying anything, give a shout.

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 14:06
Ahhh...my favorite part of the weekend. Watching the burly men haul in the groceries. Yeeehaaaa.

Do you think I am going to let on that I can carry them? HELL NO.

Dawg

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 14:07
Not just the stoves...keep in mind that the electrical system WILL only handle so much. I am going to keep count this year how many times we trip the breaker.

Last year we actually had someone that was in CHARGE of the breaker. Hehehehe. This whole weekend is such a hoot.

Dawg

Yeah, since stoves at NOC are limited, the more you can cook beforehand the better.

FD your cabin won't have a stove, but a microwave. I think most of the other cabins do have stoves along with 2 in the kitchen of the community building.

To get to your cabin (D), it's mostly on a level path with a few steps. If you need any help carrying anything, give a shout.

Sly
01-03-2007, 14:14
Not just the stoves...keep in mind that the electrical system WILL only handle so much. I am going to keep count this year how many times we trip the breaker.

Right. The stoves should be on their own circuit so using them isn't a problem just all the electrical appliances, all most likely on one or two circiuts. I'll bring a heavy duty cord with an 3 prong adapter we can run from downstairs and a different circuit.

Creek Dancer
01-03-2007, 14:24
Woooohooooo! I am going to the SoRuck! I look forward to meeting you guys. So, what time is the WB banana dance contest?

Sly
01-03-2007, 14:27
Woooohooooo! I am going to the SoRuck! I look forward to meeting you guys. So, what time is the WB banana dance contest?

Cool, I'll add you to the nametag list. Only 2 left!!!!

Boat Drinks
01-03-2007, 14:48
Starlyte talked me into it. I have the time off, if I find a dog sitter, I'm coming!:banana

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 15:20
The stoves are Gas...not electric.
Dawg

Right. The stoves should be on their own circuit so using them isn't a problem just all the electrical appliances, all most likely on one or two circiuts. I'll bring a heavy duty cord with an 3 prong adapter we can run from downstairs and a different circuit.

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 15:21
I almost forgot. Where is that damned banana?:banana

Dawg

Sly
01-03-2007, 15:41
Dawg

Oh, I don't know... I'll bectha they're not!!! How about back and shoulder rub or being a personal mixologist!

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 15:43
Trust me, they are gas. I wouldn't use one of them the first year because we could not get it to light and I was afraid it would explode. I am terrified of gas. They're gas.

Now...where is that damned banana? :banana :banana
Dawg

Oh, I don't know... I'll bectha they're not!!! How about back and shoulder rub or being a personal mixologist!

Boat Drinks
01-03-2007, 15:48
I got the time off, got the dog sitter/s, got the last room at the Inn, I'm going to a Ruck, whatever the hell that means!:banana wooo hoooo!!!

Hey, if anyone wants to split the room with me, let me know, it's got 2 doubles.

Sly
01-03-2007, 15:51
I got the time off, got the dog sitter/s, got the last room at the Inn, I'm going to a Ruck, whatever the hell that means!:banana wooo hoooo!!!

Hey, if anyone wants to split the room with me, let me know, it's got 2 doubles.

Coralrives, if you want the last nametag you can claim that too!!!

Boat Drinks
01-03-2007, 16:31
I'll take it Sly, Thanks!:sun

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 22:02
I just wanted to let you guys know that Sly deserves a HUGE SHOUT OUT.

I don't know if any of you know this, but behind the scenes the NOC has changed things on Sly a few times and he has had to regroup, shuffle and generally put it together all over again several times. IN ADDITION...people have emailed him some about food and stuff and he has helped me in ways I can't even begin to describe. He has also tried his best to accommodate all the special requests.

So...a HUGE SHOUT OUT TO SLY.

I have such faith in our group, and I just purely love each and every one of you. As predicted, the food just continues to roll in. There is going to be a huge feast at all meals. And there will be plenty of leftovers for the late Sunday crowd. AND there will be enough for us to be kind and generous and able to invite the EMTs to our meals again...there were some cute ones last year weren't there Shell-no e-y?

So...a HUGE SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE RUCKERS.

I have never felt so fortunate to be a part of a group and have friends such as you all. I am humbled beyond belief when I am in your presence.

We are going to have a fantastic RUCK.

Now...where's that damned banana. :banana:banana
Dawg

Sly
01-03-2007, 22:08
Whiteblaze auto response: Hi, Sly is away for a few days, try again later. :o

PS Thanks Dawg

StarLyte
01-03-2007, 22:28
Whiteblaze auto response: Hi, Sly is away for a few days, try again later. :o

PS Thanks Dawg

I detect cockiness.

Sly
01-03-2007, 22:35
I detect cockiness.

Embarrassment is more like it... see >>> :o

Gadog430
01-03-2007, 22:47
I didn't think you were allowed to do that at a RUCK.

::hides:: :banana

Dawg

I detect cockiness.

Jan LiteShoe
01-03-2007, 22:58
Dinos,

Dawg

You can't have too much bacon.
Just thought you should know that.

Sly
01-03-2007, 23:09

(a little coversation to myself)

How many slices in a lb of bacon :-? Maybe 15! :sun 6 lbs x 15 slices = 90 slices of bacon :p That's not nearly enough! :eek:

Sly
01-03-2007, 23:13
Ah, the definitive answer from Hormel...

Bacon

A meat product traditionally produced from a cut of pork that is taken from the side (belly) or back of the hog. Bacon is processed by brining slabs of the meat, smoke curing it and then cuttting the slabs into strips for easier use for preparation. Strips of bacon can be cut and packaged as thin sliced, which yields up to 36 slices per pound, regular sliced, which yields about 16 to 20 slices per pound, or thick sliced, which yields about 12 to 16 slices per pound.

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 00:05
We have Sausage too. And Vegans.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 00:24

I'm just sayin'...

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 00:27

Correct. 6lbs of bacon for 100+ people ain't jack. I can eat a pound myself. Vegans and veggies be damned.

rafe
01-04-2007, 00:37
Dawg, make sure you bring at least 3-4 lbs of raw broccoli or cauliflower for L. Wolf.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 00:40
Dawg, make sure you bring at least 3-4 lbs of raw broccoli or cauliflower for L. Wolf.

And don't forget the tahini.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 00:44

More bacon for me.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 01:22

Vegans and Vegetarians be damned, not the veggies themself. I eat raw broccoli every day.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 01:27
Vegans and Vegetarians be damned, not the veggies themself. I eat raw broccoli every day.

It'll put hair on your...chest.

RAT
01-04-2007, 01:29
100+ people would require 20 to 30 lbs of bacon. Trust me I know. Raw veggies are great Vegans be damned !

RAT

Frosty
01-04-2007, 02:43
And don't forget the tahini.
:)A tahini? Isn't that a two-piece bathing suit with a built-in skirt?

Sly
01-04-2007, 04:18
A tahini? Isn't that a two-piece bathing suit with a built-in skirt?

I thought it was a drink with pineapple and an umbrella... one tahini, two tahini, three tahini floor! :D

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 07:42
Ok, so can we get some commitments for Bacon here? I asked Vera to bring some. Waiting to hear from her. I will bring two pounds. Anyone else?

Dawg

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 07:43
2lbs from me.:)

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 07:56
I'll bring 10 or 20 pounds of bacon.....whatever you need. :)

Just let me know.

I'll also bring a pound of that vege-bacon crap for Liteshoe. She doesn't walk enough to eat the REAL stuff. :)

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 08:06
Ok. You guys are the BEST!!!

StarLyte
01-04-2007, 08:48
I thought it was a drink with pineapple and an umbrella... one tahini, two tahini, three tahini floor! :D

that's Tahitian Sly baby....

Tahiti swizzle (http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2289.html), Mai Tai, Hurricanes.....you know the ones......that make you hug the toilet bowl for 24 hours afterwards........me thinks not

orangebug
01-04-2007, 08:55
Anyone bringing that Play-Doh bacon we fixed last year?

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 09:32
I know nothing.
I know nothing.

What happens at the RUCK...

Now where's that damned banana? :banana

Dawg

that's Tahitian Sly baby....

Tahiti swizzle (http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2289.html), Mai Tai, Hurricanes.....you know the ones......that make you hug the toilet bowl for 24 hours afterwards........me thinks not

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 10:43
I'll also bring a pound of that vege-bacon crap for Liteshoe. She doesn't walk enough to eat the REAL stuff. :)

Not true!
I walked to the coffee pot just this morning!
And I didn't fall down.
:banana:banana

Ewker
01-04-2007, 10:47
I will bring a couple of lbs of bacon also.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 10:48
I will bring a couple of lbs of bacon also.

Okay!
That's more like it.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 10:49
Not true!
I walked to the coffee pot just this morning!
And I didn't fall down.
:banana:banana

You don't drink coffee....you drink stuff that once was coffee until someone added all that peppermint crap to it, but......I'm proud of you, dear....darn proud of you for not falling down . :)

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 10:50
......I'm proud of you, dear....darn proud of you for not falling down . :)

Yes, you should be.

I didn't fall down ALL YEAR.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 10:52
Yes, you should be.

I didn't fall down ALL YEAR.

Hey, I haven't fallen this year either......................................yet. :)

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 10:55
Hey, I haven't fallen this year either......................................yet. :)

And I'm darn proud of you!

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 10:57
And I'm darn proud of you!

Thanks!!! :) Too bad you can't make it to the SoRuck. :(

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 10:58
Thanks!!! :) Too bad you can't make it to the SoRuck. :(

I'm not coming, am I?
Guess you won't be having pancakes Sunday morning.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 11:00
I'm not coming, am I?

Oh my, you're going to be there?? :eek: Too bad I can't make it. :)

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 11:03
You might have pancakes SATURDAY morning and biscuits SUNDAY morning.

But you are right...you won't have pancakes Sunday morning unless you sweet talk Miss Janet and her men. :banana

Dawg

I'm not coming, am I?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 11:05
::: warms up pointy little dino teeth for Jan Liteshoe's pancakes :::

So, have we gotten all the food and fixings lined up? (I'm going grocery shopping today :D)

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 11:07
Oh my, you're going to be there?? :eek: Too bad I can't make it. :)

Bummer!
But I'll eat your lunch!

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 11:08
You might have pancakes SATURDAY morning and biscuits SUNDAY morning.

But you are right...you won't have pancakes Sunday morning unless you sweet talk Miss Janet and her men. :banana

Dawg

I got my days mixed up.
I hate when that happens.

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 11:31
We have commitment for TONS of food.

It has been my experience that what happens is that those tons of food show up, and they bring their tons of friends with them.

People always bring what they like to call 'a little extra'.

I am pretty sure we are going to have enough food.

Dawg

::: warms up pointy little dino teeth for Jan Liteshoe's pancakes :::

So, have we gotten all the food and fixings lined up? (I'm going grocery shopping today :D)

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 11:32
I'll eat my lunch too. I LOVE grilled cheese. Plus, I will have worked off Breakfast by the time I get back. Yipeeee.

Dawg of the 7.9 miles :banana :banana :banana

Bummer!
But I'll eat your lunch!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 11:34
I'll eat my lunch too. I LOVE grilled cheese. Plus, I will have worked off Breakfast by the time I get back. Yipeeee.

Dawg of the 7.9 miles :banana :banana :banana

Take the blue-blaze with me and others. It's shorter and prettier.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 11:41

Shoot!
I'M going on the blue blaze with you.
I'd like to see the old route.
Sly I think we should combine the walks.

Although, there's nothing like a stiff uphill march first thing in the morning to strip off a few pounds of bacon!

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 11:59
I am ready to take this body for a stroll. I don't know if it thinks it is ready, but it's going all the same.

Shell-no e-y and Tin Man and I have discussed at length the diffrerence between walking in the 'hood and climbing mountains, HUGE, but you have to graduate sometime.

I will go where I am lead. I'm along for the ride.
And the bananas. :banana :banana

Dawg

Shoot!

Although, there's nothing like a stiff uphill march first thing in the morning to strip off a few pounds of bacon!

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 12:09
I will go where I am lead. I'm along for the ride.
And the bananas. :banana :banana

Dawg

And the bacon!
:banana

Ewker
01-04-2007, 12:16

looking forward to it :D

I do go slow as I tend to stop and take to many pictures. Wonder if I will catch Ms Liteshoe falling down :eek:

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 12:40
looking forward to it :D

I do go slow as I tend to stop and take to many pictures. Wonder if I will catch Ms Liteshoe falling down :eek:

No, that's Stumpy who falls down.
I am grace incarnate.

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 12:44
No, that's Stumpy who falls down.
I am grace incarnate.

And Hot Dog. I'm jus' sayin'. :banana
Dawg

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 12:59
And Hot Dog. I'm jus' sayin'. :banana
Dawg

The life force runs strong in this one, Luke.

Wonder
01-04-2007, 17:22
I just decided that I can head down. I have a possible ride, but I'm looking for a lock :-)
Please let me know is anyone coming through the philly area may have an extra seat!
Thanks

Sly
01-04-2007, 17:27
Shoot!

Your call, the schedule is subject to change. I think the others who just want to go for a short walk can manage on their own.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 19:07
Your call, the schedule is subject to change. I think the others who just want to go for a short walk can manage on their own.

Let's do it!
Make 2007 "The Year of the Blue Blaze."

..uh, how far is Wolf's hike?
Farther than the coffee pot?

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 19:07
Let's do it!

And - will there be bacon?

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 19:08
And - will there be bacon?

Or :banana:banana:banana?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 20:32
Let's do it!

shorter than the white-blaze hike with some road walking.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 21:31
shorter than the white-blaze hike with some road walking.

So how are we gonna work off all that bacon? Run it?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 21:35
we'll take the fire warden road from tellico gap to wesser fire tower. a good little climb.:)

Sly
01-04-2007, 21:42
Let's do it!

I'll make a change on the website schedule.... you do know you'll have to get out of bed by 7AM right? :eek:

Ewker
01-04-2007, 21:48
.... you do know you'll have to get out of bed by 7AM right? :eek:

well of course we do..it is pancake and bacon time :banana :banana

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 21:51

2 years ago the hiking group didn't get breakfast. wasn't ready.

Sly
01-04-2007, 21:51

Yup, the pig calls promptly at 7AM!!! Hikers get fed 1st....

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 21:52
I'm gonna cook my own.

Sly
01-04-2007, 21:52
2 years ago the hiking group didn't get breakfast. wasn't ready.

Two years ago I wasn't running things! ;)

(need to make a note have breakfast ready)

orangebug
01-04-2007, 22:28
two years ago, we were sharing the kitchen with EMS folks getting ready for their board exams. We didn't know where the breaker box was and kept losing power to the griddles.

And you were running things. This is the third NOC RUCK.

Sly
01-04-2007, 22:41
And you were running things. This is the third NOC RUCK.

Yeah, but Pittsburg was in charge! I only came up with the venue and took care of the presentations. ;)

I don't think they'll be very many EMT students there this year. It's one reason we were able to rent all the cabins.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 22:46
"how atre we going to work off the bacon? Run?"

we'll take the fire warden road from tellico gap to wesser fire tower. a good little climb.:)

Oy vey!

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 22:47
I'll make a change on the website schedule.... you do know you'll have to get out of bed by 7AM right? :eek:

What?! :eek:

Oy vey the Second!

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 22:49
Why don't we put the Blue Blaze hike at my time.
Then we can rise at a decent hour after bearing witness to the happenings in Cabin C, eat, digest a bit, you know...

Sly
01-04-2007, 22:57
Why don't we put the Blue Blaze hike at my time.
Then we can rise at a decent hour after bearing witness to the happenings in Cabin C, eat, digest a bit, you know...

I don't know about that. It's not that much shorter and people need to get back in time for lunch before the food's gone..

Shuttle leaves at 7:30AM for the white and blue... Unless it's snowing like last year.

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 23:01
I'm in Lone Wolf. Just tell me where to go.
Dawg

Gadog430
01-04-2007, 23:04
Weather...I looked. 55-60.

Sly, I am serious about this. I am counting on you. I am getting up at 5:45 to help with breakfast, but don't you leave without me. I don't care if I have to eat it on the bus.

I am beggin you guys, I have not gotten to hike the past TWO YEARS. Please someone make sure I am on that bus.

Damn, now I am freaking out. Where's that damned banana? :banana
Dawg

I don't know about that. It's not that much shorter and people need to get back in time for lunch before the food's gone..

Shuttle leaves at 7:30AM for the white and blue... Unless it's snowing like last year.

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 23:08

What shuttle?

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 23:10

I think you pulled the wool over my eyes, LOL.
When exactly did I agree to lead a hike at 7:30 A. in the M.:welcome?
Last year it was 10:00 or something. Wasn't it?
Show the fine print in my contract, sir!

Jan LiteShoe
01-04-2007, 23:12

Sly, I am serious about this. I am counting on you. I am getting up at 5:45 to help with breakfast, but don't you leave without me. I don't care if I have to eat it on the bus.

I am beggin you guys, I have not gotten to hike the past TWO YEARS. Please someone make sure I am on that bus.

Damn, now I am freaking out. Where's that damned banana? :banana
Dawg

Anarchy! It's anarchy!
FOOD FIGHT!

Sly
01-05-2007, 04:16
I think you pulled the wool over my eyes, LOL.
When exactly did I agree to lead a hike at 7:30 A. in the M.:welcome?
Last year it was 10:00 or something. Wasn't it?
Show the fine print in my contract, sir!

Your hike was scheduled for later, but it was much shorter hike. The shuttle for the hikes from Tellico Gap (both blue and white blazed), that you want to do now, leaves at 7:30AM. It's at this time, to allow enough time, to get back to the NOC by lunch and for the afternoon presentations.

Jan LiteShoe
01-05-2007, 09:51
Your hike was scheduled for later, but it was much shorter hike. The shuttle for the hikes from Tellico Gap (both blue and white blazed), that you want to do now, leaves at 7:30AM. It's at this time, to allow enough time, to get back to the NOC by lunch and for the afternoon presentations.

Okay, I get it.

Alright, leave mine be as it is. I'm on vacation.
:)I won't be the only Saturday morning laggard, I can guarantee that. :)

Wolf, I got your back. Carry on, man, and I"ll sweep up the hindmost.

Sly
01-05-2007, 11:50

Sly, I am serious about this. I am counting on you. I am getting up at 5:45 to help with breakfast, but don't you leave without me.
Dawg

Wake me up and I'll help too...

Ewker
01-05-2007, 11:54
The shuttle for the hikes from Tellico Gap (both blue and white blazed), that you want to do now, leaves at 7:30AM. It's at this time, to allow enough time, to get back to the NOC by lunch and for the afternoon presentations.

not that it matters but how long is each hike? Can you climb the fire tower than LW is taking us by?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 11:56
not that it matters but how long is each hike? Can you climb the fire tower than LW is taking us by?

Both hikes start at Tellico Gap and go by the tower. The blue-blaze Wesser Creek Trail starts at Wesser Bald Shelter.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 11:58

Yes you can climb the tower. It's a platform actually. The blue-blaze hike is probaly a mile less than the white-blaze.

Ewker
01-05-2007, 12:07
Yes you can climb the tower. It's a platform actually. The blue-blaze hike is probaly a mile less than the white-blaze.

cool, I hope there is some good views I can take pics of.

LW, you lead and I will follow although that may get me in trouble :eek:

Gadog430
01-05-2007, 12:08
You're in.

Wake me up and I'll help too...

Gadog430
01-05-2007, 12:10
I'll probably go with Lone Wolf just because that one less mile may put me back a little sooner to help with lunch.

But I am going. I got out my stuff last night. And of course I huddled with Shell-no e-y for consultation...as expected. lol

Dawg...of the Shell-no e-y hiking twosome

Ewker
01-05-2007, 12:11
It will be nice to put faces with names.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 12:29
I'll probably go with Lone Wolf just because that one less mile may put me back a little sooner to help with lunch.

But I am going. I got out my stuff last night. And of course I huddled with Shell-no e-y for consultation...as expected. lol

Dawg...of the Shell-no e-y hiking twosome

we could shorten it even more by having someone pick us up at the store .8 down the road from NOC. Kind of a gnarly roadwalk.

Sly
01-05-2007, 12:48
we could shorten it even more by having someone pick us up at the store .8 down the road from NOC. Kind of a gnarly roadwalk.

They have cell coverage around NOC?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 12:51

Pretty unlikely. We could ask Ron Haven to meet us there at a certain time, like 11:30 or so. I'd pay for his troubles.

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2007, 14:23
We were only suppose to stay one night (Fri), so that is what I reserved a bunk space for. Now my friend is thinking 2 nights? (Fri & Sat) Anyone got a suggestion?

Sly
01-05-2007, 14:24
We were only suppose to stay one night (Fri), so that is what I reserved a bunk space for. Now my friend is thinking 2 nights? (Fri & Sat) Anyone got a suggestion?

Yeah call NOC and see if they have any spots left. Or get in touch with Coralrives. He got a double at the Inn and is looking for rommies.

Gadog430
01-05-2007, 14:26
Just come and plan to stay. We'll find a place. There are always the floors and couches in the cabins. It will work out. And you'll eat. Promise and cross my heart. :banana

Dawg

Cuffs
01-05-2007, 14:44

I had planned on staying til Monday, but my plans got changed, cancelled my reservation last week, so Im sure theres still room...

Boat Drinks
01-05-2007, 15:15
I still have a double bed for 3 nights available!!! It's at the Nantahala Inn.

Cuffs
01-05-2007, 15:22

Thanks and I appreciate the offer, but there are 2 of us... and while I like my friend, I cant say I like her enough to share a bed with her! Just not my style...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2007, 15:31
Anybody know what sort of bed space is in Cabin D?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2007, 15:32

Where is the Nantahala Inn exactly?

D'Artagnan
01-05-2007, 15:44

If you drive on past NOC with the river on your right, it's maybe 3/4 mile on the left up a VERY steep driveway.

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2007, 16:07
Yeah call NOC and see if they have any spots left. Or get in touch with Coralrives. He got a double at the Inn and is looking for rommies.

They still had room in the bunkhouse (we don't even have to move) so we are all set for Saturday night.

My next move was to share with Coralrives... However, I really like being right at the NOC.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Boat Drinks
01-05-2007, 16:07

Just "up the road" from the main center is all I know....

Boat Drinks
01-05-2007, 16:10
Thanks and I appreciate the offer, but there are 2 of us... and while I like my friend, I cant say I like her enough to share a bed with her! Just not my style...

LOL, I thought I was offering it to Hammock Hanger, but you're welcome as well! :D :sun

Ewker
01-05-2007, 17:16

it is approx 1 mile up the road from you guys will be. I am staying at the Inn also.

Cuffs
01-05-2007, 17:53
LOL, I thought I was offering it to Hammock Hanger, but you're welcome as well! :D :sun

Oops! oh well!

Dancer
01-05-2007, 18:37

John, I'm going to laugh my a** off if you end up sharing that room with Lone Wolf... Not that there's anything wrong with that! LOL:D

The Solemates
01-05-2007, 18:39
"how atre we going to work off the bacon? Run?"

Oy vey!

you guys are bacon crazy!

The Solemates
01-05-2007, 18:39

Dawg

wow...last year it snowed all morning on the hike.

The Solemates
01-05-2007, 18:41

no they dont. chief allowed me to use his last year to call the misses since i hiked the bartram the week previous, but to no avail...we had to go up the road like 5 miles or more to get coverage.

Gadog430
01-05-2007, 19:44
I know. And it's a damned disappointment that this year we will need a freaking beach chair.

Dawg

wow...last year it snowed all morning on the hike.

Sly
01-05-2007, 19:53
I know. And it's a damned disappointment that this year we will need a freaking beach chair.

It's still the mountains, I wouldn't trust a 10 day forecast....

Gadog430
01-05-2007, 21:16
I'll bet you a fiver it ain't gonna snow.

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2007, 21:19
do you ned to sign up for hikes in advance??? I'm interested in the MTS hike.

Sly
01-05-2007, 21:36

What MTS hike? MST... It's a workshop/slideshow.

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2007, 22:15
My mistake, reading without my glasses... I was wondering how they were going to pull off a hike in an hour!!:rolleyes:

Looks like I'll be rehiking the AT ....

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 12:29
forecast for bryson city area next saturday is high of 68deg., low 51 with 30% chance of showers

Sly
01-07-2007, 12:32
forecast for bryson city area next saturday is high of 68deg., low 51 with 30% chance of showers

Bummer. You staying home?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 12:34
Bummer. You staying home?

nah. guess i'll show up.

Sly
01-07-2007, 12:36
nah. guess i'll show up.

LOL... Yeah me too.

tiamalle
01-07-2007, 14:54
forecast for bryson city area next saturday is high of 68deg., low 51 with 30% chance of showershere is a link with a 10 day forecast for Bryson if you folks want to check the update later this week http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m304-1-1-1-s&reset=1

Ewker
01-07-2007, 15:50
to far out to even start looking at the forecast. Most weather folks have trouble with the day to day forecast :p

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 15:57

Dawg

DAMN shame. Sun umbrella too.

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 15:59

No but we can name it that Sue -

Mighty Trail Shakedown

....there ya go

....and you're in charge of the hike. HA :banana

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 16:00
nah. guess i'll show up.

Yeah I hope so. I'm bringing ya 6 pack of Cleveland micro.

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 16:01
here is a link with a 10 day forecast for Bryson if you folks want to check the update later this week http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m304-1-1-1-s&reset=1

Well, I'm going by tiamalle's forecast.
And I say bring your shorts and tevas.

StarLyte
01-07-2007, 16:01
I guess I better get a life and get off of here....will somebody please kick me out?!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2007, 16:13
::: aims pointy little teeth in StarLyte's general direction to kick her out :::

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 17:17
Hi everyone. Just a reminder that the Southern Ruck...SORUCK... is coming up on MLK, Jr. Weekend. January 13th, 14th & some stay the 15th also.
l

We're Rucking in five days!
I am saving up on my sleep.
I've walked to the coffee pot many times. Training.
I stop eating today.

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 17:18
Gear List:

Leki poles
My special pillow
10 lbs or so pancake mix

What am I forgetting?

Cuffs
01-07-2007, 17:21
Gear List:

Leki poles
My special pillow
10 lbs or so pancake mix

What am I forgetting?

BACON!! BACON, BACON, BACON!

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 17:26
BACON!! BACON, BACON, BACON!

Say it, sistuh!

orangebug
01-07-2007, 17:28
I've got the BLUEBERRIES[/COLOR]. Of course, the family picked them at the Blueberry Patch last July.

One bit of warning. I'm consulting this week in Alabama (near Montgomery) and will be driving first 3 hours home and then at least 3 hours to NOC. I anticipate a fairly late arrival, with 3 kids in the back (one belongs to another family of newbies I've talked into coming).

I may need some help in getting up early for the breakfast affair.

Let me know if I need to bring a sack of Krusty's. I'll assure that we have sodas and OJ enough for the Thorneloe-Smiths and then a few extras.

Gadog430
01-07-2007, 17:37
Gear List:
Betsey (ask Shell-no e-y)
Hiking Boots (now ones size too big, as are ALL my shoes)
Hiking poles
New wicking shirt (got on sale at Dicks' for $9.97)
Surprises for Marsha, Shell-no e-y, REverse and Lite Coffee
Food Food Food

Dawg

Gear List:

Leki poles
My special pillow
10 lbs or so pancake mix

What am I forgetting?

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 17:38
Let me know if I need to bring a sack of Krusty's. I'll assure that we have sodas and OJ enough for the Thorneloe-Smiths and then a few extras.

Do you need more than the 10 lb. bag?

Gadog430
01-07-2007, 17:44
Bug,

I have been asked to get Sly up, so I can get you up too if need be.
Late arrivals are just part of it. I don't anticipate being there before nine.
I know you are thinking much later for your gang.

I know it will all work out, I just worry about getting the food cooked for breakfast. Now how much there is. I am leaving for the hike at 7:30. that's right in the middle of prime cooking time. I know the pancakes will not be a problem but cooking the meat takes a while.

Just throwing it out there for thought. We may need to cook bacon late Friday night. And before anybody protests about it sitting, let me just tell you...restaurants do it all the time.

Dawg

I've got the BLUEBERRIES[/color]. Of course, the family picked them at the Blueberry Patch last July.

One bit of warning. I'm consulting this week in Alabama (near Montgomery) and will be driving first 3 hours home and then at least 3 hours to NOC. I anticipate a fairly late arrival, with 3 kids in the back (one belongs to another family of newbies I've talked into coming).

Gadog430
01-07-2007, 18:19
Ok guys, we are one week from RUCKING. Yeeehaaa.

I have received emails asking for last minute items, and the best items are those that will be needed at every meal such as platesm, utensils and foil or containers for left overs. I am also not sure we have enough salad dressing, I have not gotten commitments that I can remember or locate for that.

So here goes:
Bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid
Scrubby sponges
Aluminum Foil
Couple of different kinds of salad dressing
Ice (last year we were able to just have the coolers outside, this year it doesn't appear we are going to be that lucky)
Box or two of plastic utensils (if everyone will reuse theirs starting with breakfast, I think we will be fine)
Plates of some sort ( I don't think we can have enough)

If you were one of the ones that emailed me with last minute requests, these are the best items I can think of. See you FRIDAY!!!

Dawg

Sly
01-07-2007, 18:33
If y'all could, please go to the needful things (http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/wbfoodlist.html)page, follow the log-in instructions and add your name next to the item you're volunteering to bring.

Thanks...

I have received emails asking for last minute items, and the best items are those that will be needed at every meal such as platesm, utensils and foil or containers for left overs. I am also not sure we have enough salad dressing, I have not gotten commitments that I can remember or locate for that.

So here goes:
Scrubby sponges
Aluminum Foil
Ice (last year we were able to just have the coolers outside, this year it doesn't appear we are going to be that lucky)
Box or two of plastic utensils (if everyone will reuse theirs starting with breakfast, I think we will be fine)

If you were one of the ones that emailed me with last minute requests, these are the best items I can think of. See you FRIDAY!!!

Dawg

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 20:28
Gear List:

Leki poles
My special pillow
10 lbs or so pancake mix

What am I forgetting?
MORE FRIGGIN BACON, YO!:banana

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2007, 20:30
MORE FRIGGIN BACON, YO!:banana

See Hogzilla thread.
Ask, and ye shall receive.
I think Marsha is bringing.

Gadog430
01-07-2007, 21:43
Marsha Marsha Marsha is bringing Hogzilla? Cool beans. :banana

Dawg

See Hogzilla thread.
Ask, and ye shall receive.
I think Marsha is bringing.

Mountain Maiden
01-08-2007, 00:36

So here goes:
Scrubby sponges
Aluminum Foil

Dawg

Hey Dawg--Iwill bring all of the above, some moooorrre baaacon, and perhaps a "special request," if'n I can get all the ingredients together beforehand.

It is almost here and I am soooooooo excited since I missed the last two years---keepin' my finger crossed!! In fact, have entrusted my travel plans to someone else and they'll prob do a better job gettin me there than I seem to!

C' YA!!!

Sunrise aka Sunny :sun aka Cody Zamora

Mountain Maiden
01-08-2007, 00:41
I've got the BLUEBERRIES[/color]. Of course, the family picked them at the Blueberry Patch last July.

OB--I'll be on the B'fast crew with you. But--someone else'll have to be your alarm clock...

What time should we be in the kitchen Oh Mighty Chef OB??

S :sun

StarLyte
01-08-2007, 07:35
see I can't stay away.

Yesssss.....I am bringing 4 lbs. bacon.

I am going to Wally World the day before the So Ruck. If you need any last minute things......call me. Send me your credit cards.

A surprise? Hmmmm....I thought big daddy wore the coconut bra. Well, if he can't Shelly will have to wear it. No, Shelly has a new boyfriend, that won't work.

I got it......

Miss Janet wears the coconut bra. :banana :banana

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 08:58
There will be a masive Bacon Cooking Event in the kitchen after dinner Friday night. lol

And yes, Miss Janet is the perfect other half to Tin Man wearing the coconut bra at the Louis Luau Saturday night.

Dawg

see I can't stay away.

Yesssss.....I am bringing 4 lbs. bacon.

I am going to Wally World the day before the So Ruck. If you need any last minute things......call me. Send me your credit cards.

A surprise? Hmmmm....I thought big daddy wore the coconut bra. Well, if he can't Shelly will have to wear it. No, Shelly has a new boyfriend, that won't work.

I got it......

Miss Janet wears the coconut bra. :banana :banana

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 08:59
Sunny,

It looks like I am the breakfast crew rouser.
What Cabin are you in?

Dawg

OB--I'll be on the B'fast crew with you. But--someone else'll have to be your alarm clock...

What time should we be in the kitchen Oh Mighty Chef OB??

S :sun

highway
01-08-2007, 09:57
I just checked weather for the Saturday hike by looking at Franklin, NC's Wx and its 71F-51F. And some showers. Thats typical Florida hiking weather!

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 10:02
Bryson City (isn't that the closest?) weather for Saturday:

High 69 degrees
Low 51 degrees
A few showers.
Chance of precip-30%.

Ok, pack the Marmot.
Dawg

highway
01-08-2007, 10:16
heck, thats shorts, tee & sandals hiking weather...not bad considering it is january in the mountains!

Thats certainly not my concept of what I thought the weather should be like for you folks up there in winter-more like a line of shivering, bundled up hikers trudging uphill, strung out in a line in the snow, taking turns breaking trail in a partial whiteout.:rolleyes:

I need to pick some grapefruit from the tree for breakfast:D

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 10:24
How many people are expected to attend? Is anyone CAMPING????????

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 10:27

more than 100.

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 10:31
Sounds good. Now...What to do with the dog..

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 10:32
That was last year. It snowed and we had all the coolers outside with very little ice. ::sigh::

Dawg

Thats certainly not my concept of what I thought the weather should be like for you folks up there in winter-more like a line of shivering, bundled up hikers trudging uphill, strung out in a line in the snow, taking turns breaking trail in a partial whiteout.:rolleyes:

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 10:34
Last year we had 120. During the day Saturday, I expect about 150. We will need lots of grilled cheese sandwich grillers.

Ladies and gentlemen...start your spatulas.

Dawg

Sly
01-08-2007, 10:42
That was last year. It snowed and we had all the coolers outside with very little ice. ::sigh::

Dawg

It supposed to snow tomorrow at the NOC! :p

Last night, here in the Atlanta area, we had torando warnings. :eek: It's the 1st time I ever went through that. Kind of spooky. :( I prefer nor'easters! :banana

Krewzer
01-08-2007, 10:44
xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ewker
01-08-2007, 10:44
Sounds good. Now...What to do with the dog..

if someone is bringing a rotisserie we could have it for lunch :eek: ;) :p

Krewzer
01-08-2007, 10:50
There will be a masive Bacon Cooking Event in the kitchen after dinner Friday night. lol

And yes, Miss Janet is the perfect other half to Tin Man wearing the coconut bra at the Louis Luau Saturday night.

Dawg

Hey Y'all, finally back from Texas. Man oh Man, what a Flat state with way too many football teams. I need a Ruck.

If for no other reason than to see if the Guiness record for "Massive Bacon Cooking" falls to the Rucking Bacon Benders of Bakersfield after Friday night's smack down binge by the bay. Yes, sports fans it's a road game for the Rowdy Rucksters versus the Hawg Heads of Hampshireville playing in the Grease Bowl. Player matchups to watch will undoubtly be, GaDog lined up on the inside against Fat Back, Jan Lite Shoe wide-out versus Streak-a-Lean, and Miss Janet playing both ways against Sugar Cured and Hickory Smoked.

Uweeee baby.... it's gonna be bacon, banannas and coconuts. YUM!!~~~:banana :banana
What kind of Slurpy would you call that?

OK, Lone Wolf, it's time to sell Exxon and buy Hog Bellies.

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 11:57
Are we allowed to bring beer ?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 11:59

Hell yeah! Cabin C is it!

Sly
01-08-2007, 12:05

It's not allowed in the kitchen, dining hall and common areas. In other areas, It's allowed, but please drink responsibly, discretely (nalgene) and dispose of your empties.

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 12:10
Will do. I just don't want to be the only one with a 6-pack!

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 12:10
It's not allowed in the kitchen, dining hall and common areas. In other areas, I believe it's allowed, but please drink responsibly, discretely (nalgene) and dispose of your empties.

that rule is not an NOC thing. They just ask that you don't leave alcohol unattended in the common room refridgerators because of minors. folks drink in the common areas all the time.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 12:12
Sly, I just want to add...we have never had a problem with bad drunken behavior. LEt's not tmake this the year that it happens. It's such a good crowd.

Dawg

It's not allowed in the kitchen, dining hall and common areas. In other areas, It's allowed, but please drink responsibly, discretely (nalgene) and dispose of your empties.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 12:13
People are very discreet and it's not a problem.
Dawg

Will do. I just don't want to be the only one with a 6-pack!

Sly
01-08-2007, 12:14
that rule is not an NOC thing. They just ask that you don't leave alcohol unattended in the common room refridgerators because of minors. folks drink in the common areas all the time.

People do alot of things they're not supposed to. I'm almost certain there was a sign said no alcohol in the commmunity building.

If it's only leaving alcohol in the frig, that's fine.... Regardless, I'm not going to be going around busting people. Your on your own.

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 12:15
I don't think drunken behavior will be an issue. From the look of this posting, the median age of attendees is roughly 40! Should be a good time, I'm looking forward to the Sat. hike y'all.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2007, 12:21

Just got off the phone with NOC. Alcohol is openly permitted in the common kitchen/dining area. They said just don't leave it unattended in the fridges. So no nalgenes or hiding is required.:)

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 12:22
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...there is nothing wrong with being 40+.

Dawg :banana

I don't think drunken behavior will be an issue. From the look of this posting, the median age of attendees is roughly 40! Should be a good time, I'm looking forward to the Sat. hike y'all.

Sly
01-08-2007, 12:23
Just got off the phone with NOC. Alcohol is openly permitted in the common kitchen/dining area. They said just don't leave it unattended in the fridges. So no nalgenes or hiding is required.:)

Cool.... just pick up after yourselves! :p

Chris_Asheville
01-08-2007, 12:35
I was kidding, sounds good! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Mountain Maiden
01-08-2007, 15:56
Sunny,

It looks like I am the breakfast crew rouser.
What Cabin are you in?

Dawg

LOL--I have no idea!

i just do as I am told---

SLY???

THX

Sly
01-08-2007, 16:36
LOL--I have no idea!

i just do as I am told---

It's a surprise! :)

Mountain Maiden
01-08-2007, 18:25
It's a surprise! :)

Uh--Ok---I trust you completely...:eek::eek:

Just tell my alarm person, ok??

THX

StarLyte
01-08-2007, 18:41

....he ain't heavy....he's my brother....

Boat Drinks
01-08-2007, 18:56
Just letting anyone know that I still have a double bed open in a room at the Nantahala Inn. If anyone is interested in splitting the room.

Cuffs
01-08-2007, 19:15
Just letting anyone know that I still have a double bed open in a room at the Nantahala Inn. If anyone is interested in splitting the room.

Whats the cost on that? trying to get one more to go...

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 19:27
Are you hinting I should carry you after you hit the Chardonnay?
Jus' sayin'

....he ain't heavy....he's my brother....

bigcranky
01-08-2007, 20:29
Shoot, I thought you had found someone for that extra bed, and made a reservation for a bunk room yesterday evening. Sorry.

Sly
01-08-2007, 20:59
I've started printing up the nametags. From 1-100 will have plastic holders with pins. Any late requests will be adhesive backed.

Here's a list of the names I have so far.

Sly
Miss Janet
StarLyte
Jan LiteShoe
Dr. Feek
Lone Wolf
Gypsy
TrailTalker
Blue Gill
Spur
Ready
Jim O
Ginny
Swallowtail
Mike
Tinman
Mrs Tinman
David
Jamie
Orangebug
Ladybug
Redbug
Yellowbug
Queen Diva
Sunrise
Circuit Rider
Sherlock
Chainsaw
CamoJack
GA Dawg
Hotdog
Shelly
Pacer
Greenbrier
JediKaren
REverse
Missing Kink
Moose
Megan
Almost There
Erin
Waterfall
Sheltowee
Ron Haven
Smokestack
Mother Nature
Hammock Hanger
Short Cut
D'Artagnan
Ewker
Peanuts
general
The Solemate
Lady Solemate
Frosty
Warren
Terry
Ray Stern- GATC
David Nation- GATC
Jeff Brewer- FMST
Legs
Nightwalker
Squeaky
Amazonwoman
shadesofblue
Krewzer
CCWayah
Black Wolf
Cutty
Sunset
Chief
Xmas
He-Dino
She-Dino
Marta
Little Bear
Honeysuckle
Stumpknocker
humunuku
Chris
EZ
Chocolate Bandito
Happy Feet
The Only Wanderer
the dude
Wonderfoot
Restless
Steve
Leah
Tyler
Amanda
Slingblade
Mittens
Creek Dancer
Moonbeam
Johnny
Big Cranky
ALHikerGal
SuzyQhoo

Sarah
Byron
Gene
Mickey One-Sock
Jerry
Krazy Katie
Bluelight
Mary
Barbara
Laura
Michele
Craig
Suzy
Chili
Stacy
Nocona
Bald Eagle
HOI
1 Pint

Some didn't request them directly but I saw where they were coming, either here on site, or on the food list page. If you haven't asked yet, it's not too late as I'll be printing a late batch Thursday.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 21:32
Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo Sly.

I don't think I am the only one who is SO EXCITED!@!@!@!@!@

Dawg

Ps. Bought out the grocery store tonight. Yeeehaaaa.

little bear
01-08-2007, 22:15
Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo Sly.

I don't think I am the only one who is SO EXCITED!@!@!@!@!@

Dawg

Ps. Bought out the grocery store tonight. Yeeehaaaa.

I am so stoked this is my first Ruck.:banana :D :banana :D

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 22:25
Oooooo. A newbie. :banana:welcome:banana

Dawg

I am so stoked this is my first Ruck.

orangebug
01-08-2007, 23:07
What time should we be in the kitchen Oh Mighty Chef OB??I've usually gotten started around 6AM, with the planned Calling of the Hawgs at 7AM or whenever we have a few platters of pancakes and bacon to get started.

I don't know if anyone is planning on eggs or anything else to go with the BACON and pancakes. If bacon and such is cooked Friday night, we probably are going to be in great shape to have food and drink ready for 7AM.

Gadog430
01-08-2007, 23:31
Bacon and such is being cooked Friday night.

And there are eggs to go with the other stuff.

We have not been successful with eggs too much in the past...meaning that there wasn't time or any person to cook them.

Maybe this year will be different, but if not it's no huge deal.

I've usually gotten started around 6AM, with the planned Calling of the Hawgs at 7AM or whenever we have a few platters of pancakes and bacon to get started.

I don't know if anyone is planning on eggs or anything else to go with the BACON and pancakes. If bacon and such is cooked Friday night, we probably are going to be in great shape to have food and drink ready for 7AM.

Gadog430
01-09-2007, 00:15
The Calling of the Hogs Saturday morning is at 7 am. OB do your thing.

Hikers leaving on the hike get to eat first I believe...per Sly. THANKS SLY.

One of the problems in the past has been getting the breakfast meats done in time to be WITH the OB Pancakes. Soooooooooo...we are going to have a Bacon and Sausage Cooking Fest Friday night in the kitchen after dinner and probably late after whatever presentation is last.

All volunteers are welcome. I think we are going to have something like 20-30 pounds of Bacon to cook and some amount of Sausage. Any frying pans that make their way to the RUCK are appreciated also.

If you were one of the ones that signed up for a breakfast meat that ISN'T pre-cooked, can you make sure it is in the kitchen sometime last Friday night please? We will get most of that cooked Friday night since there seems to be so much of it this year.

Sly has well over a 100 nametags for attendees. This total has meant in the past that there would 20-30 more at lunch Saturday. Lunch Saturday is the biggest meal, with Dinner Saturday night a close second. I am expecting 150 at those meals. 120 at breakfast.

At lunch Saturday, it will start about 12:30. I hope to be back by then. But we will make sure that everyone gets to eat. Just be patient with us if you have to wait a moment. Last year we were cooking Grilled Cheese as fast as possible and putting them straight on plates from the griddles.

Just remember....The Kitchen Staff is an all volunteer thing. Not one is a caterer. If you will be patient with us, we will take loving care of you and make sure you have good eats. That is my promise.

If you come upon one of what I fondly call 'my kitchen angels' Saturday morning...please say thank you to them. They are getting up at 5:30 to cook breakfast.

Dawg

Ps. I need someone that knows how to make coffee to help me Saturday morning. I don't know nuthin 'bout birthin' no coffee.

minnesotasmith
01-09-2007, 00:21
I'll be coming to the Ruck. I'll probably go on the hike as well.:banana

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 00:45

Dawg

I'll help ya cook the bacon, since I was one of the major whiners.

Re: the coconut bra, are you saying Tinman wears half and Miss Janet wears half?
:confused:

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 00:59
Oooooo. A newbie. :welcome

Dawg

easy gal, he's under 40!
His heart may not be able to take the strain of all the old folks Louie Luau-ing!
:eek:
Tell him we won't discriminate though. No age-ism here.:D

Gadog430
01-09-2007, 09:53
BACON BACON BACON. It always reminds me of that commercial where the little dawg says, "I CAN'T READ!!!"

Dawg

Ps. With regards to the coconut bra, I don't think she will mind me saying it, and if she does I hope she will forgive me, but I think Miss Janet can fill it out all by herself.

I'll help ya cook the bacon, since I was one of the major whiners.

Re: the coconut bra, are you saying Tinman wears half and Miss Janet wears half?
:confused:

Jan LiteShoe
01-09-2007, 10:01
Ps. With regards to the coconut bra, I don't think she will mind me saying it, and if she does I hope she will forgive me, but I think Miss Janet can fill it out all by herself.

Hey! What happens at Cabin C....

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 10:02
i'm wearing a lei thong

bfitz
01-09-2007, 10:04
Right now? Or to the ruck?

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 10:05
Right now? Or to the ruck?

both big guy;)

bfitz
01-09-2007, 10:06
Sweeeeeeet!

Gadog430
01-09-2007, 10:12
We need Luau music.

Dawg

Hey! What happens at Cabin C....

Lone Wolf
01-09-2007, 10:13
We need Luau music.

Dawg

I've got some old Don Ho albums. Tiny bubbles...in the wine...