PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

Chaco Taco
12-29-2006, 23:21
So I got some really decent Olive Oil that i am going to use for my pantry. I am going to take Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme and just seal a jar of Olive Oil and let it sit and get those herbs to infuse the oil. Cut down on extra stuff to worry about.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 00:25
So I got some really decent Olive Oil that i am going to use for my pantry. I am going to take Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme and just seal a jar of Olive Oil and let it sit and get those herbs to infuse the oil. Cut down on extra stuff to worry about.
When I hike, the only thing I put OO on is pasta. Else I just take a Tp size sit every meal I eat for the calories.
You might wanna try lemon zest also in the OO. Mmmm.

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 06:37
Olive oil is good for starting fires, keeping the callories up, and other small tasks.

Topcat
12-30-2006, 09:08
Somebody told me once that you have to be carefull with garlic in olive oil as it could cause botulism. I checked and found this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil

generoll
12-30-2006, 09:38
that could be true, but it would help if 'wik' provided a reference. as i understand it, anyone can post information on wik.

Topcat
12-30-2006, 10:22
I know, i had heard it on a cooking show years ago and just did a quick google to check my memory is all.

Hey, i like my eggs over easy and my steaks rare so i am no food safety weanie. Just figure you need to know the risks when you cant have refridgeration.

starvingmusician
12-30-2006, 10:54
Am J Public Health. (http://javascript<b></b>:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Am J Public Health.');) 1990 Nov;80(11):1372-3.

Bureau of Communicable Disease Control, New York State Department of Health and State University, Albany.

In February 1989, three cases of botulism occurred in persons who consumed garlic bread made from a garlic-in-oil product. Testing of leftover garlic-in-oil showed it to have a pH of 5.7 and to contain high concentrations of Clostridium botulinum organisms and toxin. This was the second episode of botulism associated with a low acid garlic-in-oil product which needs constant refrigeration. In response, the Food and Drug Administration has taken steps to prevent a recurrence by requiring that microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents be added to such products.
PMID: 2240308 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

From the CDC's website: (search garlic olive oil)
Acidification has been used as a solution to previous foodborne botulism outbreaks. In 1985, 36 patients in the United States and Canada were identified with botulism after eating at a restaurant in Vancouver, British Columbia. A case-control study implicated commercially produced, chopped garlic in soybean oil stored at room temperature as the source of the outbreak (1). In 1989, a second outbreak of botulism associated with chopped garlic in oil occurred when three patients in New York were identified with botulism after consuming a meal containing unrefrigerated, commercially produced, chopped garlic in virgin olive oil (2). After these outbreaks, FDA rules were altered to require that garlic-in-oil products contain an acidifying agent such as phosphoric or citric acid.

OK - in a nutshell -- it's OK to use dried herbs in unrefrigerated flavored oil. Fresh herbs and garlic in oil needs to be refrigerated, and has a life of only about 2 weeks.

Doctari
12-30-2006, 11:01
I have a bottle of Olive oil (extra virgin thank you) that I filled 4 years ago. Still no rancid taste or smell, not saying it's truely safe, but it dosn't seem bad. At the same time I filled that bottle, (10 OZ) I filled a small bottle (3 Oz) with about 2 Tblspns "garlic buds" toppped with the same Olive oil, It went bad, obviously BAD in about 8 weeks.

My thoughts: plain OO keeps "forever" contaminate it, with anything, it will turn on you. BUT, for a short trip, small amounts, I'll still add the garlic & take my chances.

Doctari.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-30-2006, 11:03
Was all this garlic-talk powdered garlic, or fresh garlic? Cant see how powdered would grow botulism.

Mags
12-30-2006, 11:46
Yes...the only olive oil you should use is Extra Virgin. Anything else is just glorified veggie oil!

(Admit to be an olive oil snob! My family would disown me if I used anything else.. :D )

starvingmusician
12-30-2006, 12:07
Was all this garlic-talk powdered garlic, or fresh garlic? Cant see how powdered would grow botulism.

Lowspark wasn't specific in his original post... The botulism talk was concerning the use of fresh garlic, herbs and zests in olive oil.

As to your second comment, dried/powdered is thought to be safe; bacteria need moisture (water) to thrive, so without enough &quot;free&quot; water, they cannot grow well.

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 12:10
Yes...the only olive oil you should use is Extra Virgin. Anything else is just glorified veggie oil!

(Admit to be an olive oil snob! My family would disown me if I used anything else.. :D )
Mmmm, extra virgins.

Personally I like an olive oil that has been around and knows a thing or two ;)

Lone Wolf
12-30-2006, 12:12
Mmmm, extra virgins.

Wonder if that was what Saddam was thinkin' when he had the noose around his slimy neck?:cool:

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 12:14
His virgins were going to be in Hell.

Grandma Dixie
12-30-2006, 19:07
I've always wondered about that 40 virgin thing. What happens after you ***** them all? Does allah supply you with fresh ones?

Two Speed
12-30-2006, 19:19
And I thought I was good at thread swerve! :p

Skidsteer
12-30-2006, 19:31
I've always wondered about that 40 virgin thing. What happens after you ***** them all? Does allah supply you with fresh ones?

And I thought I was good at thread swerve! :p

Swerve?

Hell, this thread took a header over the guard rail.:p

SGT Rock
12-30-2006, 19:31
Well we have our own theory here. That any woman tha makes it to heaven still a virgin is no one we would want ourselves.

Add to that the thought that if you screw up as a martyr, you get to be a virgin for another guy in hell.

Chaco Taco
12-30-2006, 19:41
Wow, just checked the thread for the first time since I posted, whata turn it took.:banana

Lone Wolf
12-30-2006, 20:25
Wonder if that was what Saddam was thinkin' when he had the noose around his slimy neck?:cool:

I take full responsibilty AND pride for turning this thread.

Grandma Dixie
12-30-2006, 23:26
We're all sincerely sorry. Really. We are.

Now where are my extra virgins? They should be around here somewhere....:rolleyes:

rainmaker
12-31-2006, 00:33
Back to this olive oil thing. Madame and I took a wee trip along the Chattooga River this week and took our old Coleman 442 dual fuel stove. Well, the damn pump wouldn't pump so the stove would not work. Apparently the plunger seal was dried out. Luckily we had a small bottle of olive oil . With just a few drops we were back in business.. BTW, olive oil goes great with grits.

Tacoda
12-31-2006, 00:55
I myself take great pride in adding garlic cloves to my food. I add so much infact that some of the larger pieces tend to have a 'crunch' effect. I would not have it any other way.

SGT Rock
12-31-2006, 04:17
It also goes great with dehydrated refried beans, red beans and rice, and a few other things. It is like the duct tape of the food bag - so many uses.

Ramble~On
12-31-2006, 05:20
I use EVOO in place of just about anything calling for butter or marg.
doesn't melt, go bad...high calories...wouldn't want to cook without it

MedicineMan
12-31-2006, 08:34
maybe best for home storage, squirt the contents of a vit e capsule into the bottle of EVOO and it will resist rancidity longer....

oldfivetango
12-31-2006, 10:50

Hi Wolf,
I been wondering the same thing.Had it been me I would
have been asking myself-"why didn't I just let those inspectors
in? Could it have been he had things he didn't want them to find
that later went to Lebanon and Syria?May he burn in hell forever.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

SGT Rock
12-31-2006, 11:57
According to the news reports the last thing he was thinking about was Moqtada al Sadyr.

Amigi'sLastStand
12-31-2006, 13:52
According to the news reports the last thing he was thinking about was Moqtada al Sadyr.
Saddam was like everyother dictator the world has known, an utter and complete coward.

Thread shift, sorry. I love EVOO!!!!!

jlb2012
01-01-2007, 00:55
Tread shift, sorry. I love EVOO!!!!!

Well I suspect it would work Ok as a love lubricant - not that I have ever tried that technique