PDA

View Full Version : looking for someone to hike with

waffles
12-30-2006, 13:59
Anyone interested in hiking with me?

Dancer
01-02-2007, 17:26
When and where are you going to be hiking. Thru, section weekend or day hikes? Experienced or newbie, fast or slow? We probably need a little more information from you.

cabell
01-02-2007, 19:07
I am a 22 year old woman looking for a thru hiking partner. I am planning to start mid march from GA. I know its very last minute to be looking for a partner, but mine decided to change his plans and not thru hike. I am excited to have the alone spiritual time of hiking, but i also know i need the company and support of a partner. please email [email protected] if you are still looking for a partner. thanks

Red Hat
01-04-2007, 13:29
You've probably heard it before, but if you show up at Springer, you'll find someone to hike with. By the end of the day, you'll have made a number of buddies. By Neels Gap, you should have an idea of who hikes at about your pace, and who you would enjoy hiking with.

sweetpeastu
02-01-2007, 22:52
Umm since I still don't understand how to post new threads, I'm just gonna put this here: Anybody in or around the Roanoke, Virginia area in need of a female hiking buddy? I'm 23 and walk at a moderate pace. I like to do dayhikes and backpacking trips--will travel for backpacking trips :) I'm looking to explore the mnt's around RKE VA but ....preferably not alone.

WONDERWOMAN
03-16-2007, 01:43
I am planning to leave Springer, the last week in March,'07. I am 55, overweight and will start out slow. I am happy to have a loose partnership, where we watch out for each other, but understand that most hikers need to hike their own hike. I would love to have someone to start off with, maybe the partnership will stick. From what I have heard, you won't be alone, and will form partnerships with people who hike at your speed.:)

RockStar
03-16-2007, 02:11
I am planning to leave Springer, the last week in March,'07. I am 55, overweight and will start out slow. I am happy to have a loose partnership, where we watch out for each other, but understand that most hikers need to hike their own hike. I would love to have someone to start off with, maybe the partnership will stick. From what I have heard, you won't be alone, and will form partnerships with people who hike at your speed.:)

Depending on how slow you hike, I will be starting next March...Ill catch up to you and well hike! :o j/k :D :p

WONDERWOMAN
03-16-2007, 02:35
I am so slow, I may see you NEXT MARCH.

Marta
03-16-2007, 06:47
Here's a pretty negative thought, but it is, alas, the voice of experience. Don't base your hike on having a hiking partner. I had someone from Whiteblaze ask to join me last year on my SOBO. She quit halfway up Katahdin. Yes, that's right, after quitting her job and preparing to be away from home for six months, she quit a couple of hours into Day 1. Fortunately I was planning to hike solo anyway, so I carried on. And on. And on...

Do the math. If you have a 20% chance of finishing your hike and the other person has a 20% chance of finishing, the chance of BOTH of you finishing is 20% X 20%= 4%. Not very good odds.

If you have a long-time friend or SO who also wants to hike, great. And you will surely run into people you can hike with, especially if you're a NOBO. But I'm pretty sour on the idea of finding a good hiking partner by asking over the internet.

Old and sour...
Marta/Five-Leaf

Almost There
03-16-2007, 08:55
Don't usually post here, but as a male who has hiked with females more than males(how the heck did that happen?), be prepared if you take on a partner to hike at their pace, if you wanna keep hiking with them. If you're ok with that then you're fine...I tend to hike pretty fast and my partner kept up with me, but at times it seemed that I was wearing her down, so we'd zero or slow down a little. Just make sure you're ok with this, and remember, sometimes taking on a partner might mean you won't finish the trail, especially if the person you're hiking with is faster and you push yourself too hard to keep up.

SawnieRobertson
03-16-2007, 10:54
It seems to me that one of the worst things (if you are a caring person, and I'll bet you are) that can happen with a partner is to have the person, for whatever reason, decide to leave the trail. As Marta said before, you are better off with the mindset that this is something that you are doing alone. It is for you, no one else. Friendships along the way do have a shelf life, one that allows them to flourish for the rest of your lives, but on the trail, they are usually based on each hiker's individual needs and rightly so.--Kinnickinic

Penne
03-20-2007, 14:17
My parents are really hoping that I find a hiking partner before I leave, but I haven't been putting in much effort to find one. I've been telling them I won't be that alone, that other people will be hiking SOBO. What I haven't mention, because I don't think they would like it, is that I don't know of any other women that are going SOBO this year. I'm sure there are some, but I just haven't seen them around WB yet. But I do like the idea of this being a solo trip.