PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 day loop in Shining Rock?

Earl Grey
12-30-2006, 16:38
Im looking to do a 3 to 4 day loop hike in Shining Rock. Im trying to incorporate Art Loeb and Cold Mountain in it as well as others. Where can you park out there?

Tipi Walter
12-30-2006, 17:24
I used to get off the Parkway and drive to a gravel log below Sam's Knob for some long term backpacking. A trailhead out of the lot would wind thru blueberry bushes and alongside a fast moving cold creek. The trail(can't remember the name)still had some old reminders of a narrow railroad thru there.

This won't help you at all but somebody might tell me the name of that trail.

restless
12-30-2006, 17:24
If the Blue Ridge Parkway is open, the best place to start from is the Black Balsam Parking lot near M420. From there your options are unlimited. Another good place to start would be on the N side of the BRP at the Big East Fork trailhead on US 276. There is one ford on this trail and the trails may not always be in the greatest of shape. You can also access the Art loeb from the vicinity of the fish hatchery. This is a FS road that passes the Looking Glass Rock TH. This road takes you up to Gloucester Gap and is in fairly good shape, although I'm not sure that I would leave a vehicle there. There is a Boy Scout camp at the N end of the Art Loeb trail that you can park at, but I have never been there so can't give you many other details. Your best bets would be either Black Balsam or Big East Fork. Be sure to pick up a map-I use the NG Trails Illustrated Pisgah RD map-as there are no signs or blazes once you enter the wilderness. I got lost for about two hours the first time I went to Cold Mtn. so pay attention to where you are at. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. It's one of my favorite areas in the Southeast.

Chip
12-30-2006, 17:29
If you have a map of Pisgah NF, check out the Black Balsam Parking area just off the Blue Rige Parkway, at milepost 420.2,turn north on to S.R. 816 and follow the signs , 1.2 miles to parking. Also check the Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp for parking, this will closer to Cold Mountain, see your Map. :)

Tipi Walter
12-30-2006, 17:32
Does anyone remember the Regional Rainbow Gatherings they used to have below Sam's Knob in Shining Rock(1982-84). It was in June and then in August they'd have the Blueberry Gathering. I spent several years coming to this place and hanging out with the hippies, swamis, Rajneesh followers, sweat lodge devotees and tipi dwellers at a camp by a fast moving little creek.

The creek itself had a deep boxlike swimhole that filled with water before falling down the other side.

Chip
12-30-2006, 17:38
If you have a map of Pisgah NF, check out the Black Balsam Parking area just off the Blue Rige Parkway, at milepost 420.2,turn north on to S.R. 816 and follow the signs , 1.2 miles to parking. Also check the Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp for parking, this will closer to Cold Mountain, see your Map. :)

State Hwy 215 going south from Canton NC leads toward the Boy Scout Camp. Look for a side road to the left as it follows the Little East Fork, Pigeon River. There should be signs to lead the way. :)

restless
12-30-2006, 17:38
Never made it to any of those gatherings- I think from what I've been told they were held near Flat Top Laurel Creek area below Sams Knob. I have run into some Rainbow brothers and sisters at the parking lot during blueberry season but I'm not sure it's anything organized. The Katuah tribe may still have events there as well as along the big East Fork.

Tipi Walter
12-30-2006, 17:40
Never made it to any of those gatherings- I think from what I've been told they were held near Flat Top Laurel Creek area below Sams Knob. I have run into some Rainbow brothers and sisters at the parking lot during blueberry season but I'm not sure it's anything organized. The Katuah tribe may still have events there as well as along the big East Fork.

THAT'S IT!! Flat Top Laurel Creek! Katuah Tribe!! sob

Earl Grey
12-30-2006, 18:05
Welp

I see the Sams Knob, Boy Scout camp and Big East parking areas.

From a planning standpoint it seems Sams Knob would be the best followed by Big East and then Boy Scouts just because Sams has more trails from which to depart and arrive from. The problem with it though is the BRP could be closed but I doubt it because the weather hasnt been bad at all this year and itll be in the 50s next week.

If it is closed then id probaly choose Boy Scouts however is this private property in that not just anyone can park there? I assume they wouldnt be having anything going on there since its winter but you never know. Id hate to leave my car there and come back and it be gone because it got towed.

If all those conditions fail then Big East it is but is this place safe?

Earl Grey
12-30-2006, 18:24
Nevermind I called and it sounds like the BRP is closed from 276 and southward. Although I couldnt understand exactly what she was saying. Its a prerecorded message at 828 298 0398. This means its either the camp or Big East.

http://www.danielboonecouncil.org/CampDanielBoone/CDBHomePage/tabid/117/Default.aspx

This is the site of the camp ground and it doesnt say anything about NOT parking there but doesnt mean you can.

ed bell
12-30-2006, 18:30
Welp

I see the Sams Knob, Boy Scout camp and Big East parking areas.

From a planning standpoint it seems Sams Knob would be the best followed by Big East and then Boy Scouts just because Sams has more trails from which to depart and arrive from. The problem with it though is the BRP could be closed but I doubt it because the weather hasnt been bad at all this year and itll be in the 50s next week.

If it is closed then id probaly choose Boy Scouts however is this private property in that not just anyone can park there? I assume they wouldnt be having anything going on there since its winter but you never know. Id hate to leave my car there and come back and it be gone because it got towed.

If all those conditions fail then Big East it is but is this place safe?I would always be a bit wary when it comes to the Parkway being open in Winter. Reason being is that the Rangers are very quick to close it and slow as molasses to re-open it. If you are going to use the Black Balsam parking area, the Parkway between US276 and NC215 is the section you should call the Ranger station about. The Boy Scout Camp parking area is a legal year round parking area, you will not be towed as long as you park on the roadside near the trailhead for the Art Loeb. I would say the US276 Big East Fork parking area has some very nice loop possibilities that would work for your time frame, but it would be my last choice for leaving a vehicle for 3-5 days. I'm not gonna call it a risky trailhead, just least desireable of the three.

Earl Grey
12-30-2006, 19:18
I would always be a bit wary when it comes to the Parkway being open in Winter. Reason being is that the Rangers are very quick to close it and slow as molasses to re-open it. If you are going to use the Black Balsam parking area, the Parkway between US276 and NC215 is the section you should call the Ranger station about. The Boy Scout Camp parking area is a legal year round parking area, you will not be towed as long as you park on the roadside near the trailhead for the Art Loeb. I would say the US276 Big East Fork parking area has some very nice loop possibilities that would work for your time frame, but it would be my last choice for leaving a vehicle for 3-5 days. I'm not gonna call it a risky trailhead, just least desireable of the three.

Well more than likely ill park at the Boy Scout Camp at the loction you specified. From there ill go south on the Little East Fork Trail then hit Ivestor Gap which would bring me to the Black Balsam parking area. From there I could go anywhere its awesome. Ill probaly camp there the first night then from there go east on the MST over the Graveyard Ridge up to Big East Fork and camp there. Then Old Butt Knob to Art Loeb and up to Cold Mountain and camp at the summit (first 6000'+ summit!).

TurkeyBacon
12-30-2006, 19:30
I'll second the parkway closing. Its not worth the risk. The campsite near the parkway on 215 would be good. Its real hard to find going up hill. You might have to go downhill to find it. Its before a sweeping left hand turn when going downhill. The boyscout camp is very open to letting general public use its trail access points. I would not hesitate to use the boy scout camp. I would not camp at Cold mt summit, its quite harsh and I prickly. Maybe a summer bivy but not winter. The gap before Cold Mt has a good site. If you hike the art loeb from ivesters gap go a little further to Black Balsam and Cold mt will not be your first 6000 ft mt but the third or fouth. The only reliable spring on the Art Loeb is by Shining rock, so beware.
TB

ed bell
12-30-2006, 19:41
Well more than likely ill park at the Boy Scout Camp at the loction you specified. From there ill go south on the Little East Fork Trail then hit Ivestor Gap which would bring me to the Black Balsam parking area. From there I could go anywhere its awesome. Ill probaly camp there the first night then from there go east on the MST over the Graveyard Ridge up to Big East Fork and camp there. Then Old Butt Knob to Art Loeb and up to Cold Mountain and camp at the summit (first 6000'+ summit!).Two quick heads-up: 1) the Little East Fork trailhead is South of where you park. You will have to cross the bridge and continue to walk to hit the trailhead. Keep up with your map for this first .2 or so. Once you hit the trail it's easy to follow. 2) the best campsites on Cold Mountain are in the saddle between the two high points. The summit has hardly any flat areas.

Earl Grey
12-30-2006, 20:23
This was going to be my next question. From the map it looks like theres plenty of creeks in the area except on Art Loeb and especially the trail to Cold Mountain. Would 3 liters be enough?

ed bell
12-30-2006, 20:28
This was going to be my next question. From the map it looks like theres plenty of creeks in the area except on Art Loeb and especially the trail to Cold Mountain. Would 3 liters be enough?There is a spring just short of the saddle of Cold Mountain that I have always seen flowing. Might just be my favorite water source. I have never had trouble with it. Hard to say about the rest of your itinerary.

skyhiker2
12-30-2006, 20:57
there's a great spring about 1/4 of mile before the top of cold mountain. ( if that..) there is also water at a few different places on the way up.. I parked at the boyscout camp....

TurkeyBacon
12-30-2006, 21:11
Sorry... I said that wrong, the only reliable spring on the top of the Art Loeb is by Shining Rock. There is a paralelle trail that is an old road bed and it has a few semi-reliable springs. The gap near Cold Mt has some water down the approach trail and there is a long section between that gap and the next high point (don't have the map, don't remember the name) that is a very very sharp ridge so do not plan on stopping for that section, there is not flat spot anywere for a while (incredible hike though). There is all sorts of un-named, unmarked springs on most side trails.
TB

Ramble~On
12-31-2006, 05:06
It's not Flat Top Laurel Creek it's Flat Laurel Creek. A great hike and for those that leave the trail and hike the stream will find a near continuous series of waterfalls...not much "flat" about it at times you may even wish you had a rope. Flat Laurel Creek Trail has been relocated and now runs what used to be called Sam Knob Trail.

A 3-4 day hike has a lot of options and with the parkway closed you still have a bunch of trailheads to park at and trails to make loop hikes from.

1) From 215 take Little East Fork Road to Camp Daniel Boone and park at the kiosk for the Art Loeb or cross the concrete bridge and turn left through campsites and enter Shining Rock on the Little East Fork trail which leads to
Shining Rock......or 2) head up Art Loeb to Deep Gap.....turn left on spur trail in Deep Gap to climb to the top of Cold Mountain.

3) The "Big East Fork" trailhead is on 276 just past Cruso and offers a number of trail options to make a 3/4 day loop.

Two other options are on 215 just north of the parkway overpass. There is a small pull off for the 4) Mountains to Sea Trail and further north is a small pull off for the 5) Flat Laurel Creek trail.

There's a lot of options for a 3-4 day loop.