PDA

View Full Version : Harpers F. to Maine. April 07

Ron "So Big" B
12-31-2006, 07:42
Looking for a partner to hike the north half of the AT. I am 49 and active but a novice trail hiker. Hope to average 10-14 miles per day. Start date in April is flexible. I can be reached at [email protected] or on here.
Ron B.

Peaks
12-31-2006, 10:04
I suspect that an April start at HF will get you into New England while it is still muddy and buggy. A May start would be better.

Ron "So Big" B
12-31-2006, 11:18
Peaks,

I was hoping a mid to late April start would have me missing most of the mud by the time I reach Vermont around first week of June. Tell me a bit about the buggy? I imagine you mean black flies? I appreciate your insights and any help you might give.
TY.

mrc237
12-31-2006, 12:08
Keep covered at all times, they are relentless. Wear long sleeves and long pants head net and DEET. Did N Mass and Ver in May of 96 it was torture until I covered up.

Jeff
12-31-2006, 14:56
Vermont can be hit or miss regarding blackflies. I did the AT in VT June 1st thru 10th in '05 with no blackflies. In fact, the only mosquitos I had were near Stratton Pond Shelter.

I ran into lots of younger folks starting the Long Trail at the beginning of June. Guess they were just out of school!!!

TJ aka Teej
12-31-2006, 17:47
I am 49 and active but a novice trail hiker. Hope to average 10-14 miles per day. Start date in April is flexible.:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Ron!

I was in HF mid-April '05 and only a handfull of GAMErs had passed thru by then. You'll really be 'hiking with spring' if you stick with that plan. Sounds like a great time to start that 'second half' section to me! Don't worry about the bugs, there'll be some when-ever - so just use DEET, bring a head net, and a tent to sleep in and you'll be fine.

Peaks
12-31-2006, 20:03
Peaks,

I was hoping a mid to late April start would have me missing most of the mud by the time I reach Vermont around first week of June. Tell me a bit about the buggy? I imagine you mean black flies? I appreciate your insights and any help you might give.
TY.

Mud season generally lasts until about Memorial Day. After that, it's black fly season until the first hot spell, usually in late June.

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2006, 20:10
Ron:

It has always taken me in the vicinity of ninety days to do that stretch (I'm also about your age and probably walk at around the same pace).

I agree with what other folks have said about bugs, i.e. I'd start a bit later if you can. Even a week or two'd difference might be significant. Also be aware that the White Mountains in NH can be pretty serious well into June so make sure you bring appropriate clothing and gear.

boarstone
12-31-2006, 21:10
Peaks,

TY.
Camp ontop of/ stay UP, on top of where ever your at, camp on the peaks at blackfly season. After sundown they go away, top of mountains/ridges, not in the vallleys, gulfs, saddles, any low areas....they hatch in running water, filter your water always, ....if your sweating and DEET is usless on the bugs, use that mud on your face, arms, legs, hands, any exposed skin, cover all exposed skin as much as you can, don't be stingy, but for those areas you can't, use mud, smear over skin as women do with cold cream, heavyily...might sound dirty, but will aid the bugs from biting you, cover "everybit" of exposed skin w/this mud.

Ron "So Big" B
12-31-2006, 21:25
I sure appreciate all the helpful tips and friendly welcome. Thanks to all!

I am so glad I found this site in my planning and prep for my trip. It is great those of you who are experienced are willing to give of your time to a newbie like me.