PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Plans?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2006, 18:15
So how are you guys planning to celebrate New Year's Eve? Remember, we dinosaurs are living vicariously through you folks and have nearly died of boredom lately.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2006, 18:19
I'm staying home, bout ready to open some wine and aggravate y'all with my posts.:)

restless
12-31-2006, 18:24
I'm staying home, bout ready to open some wine and aggravate y'all with my posts.:)

The more things change the more things stay the same...2007 will be here in 6.5 hours.

MOWGLI
12-31-2006, 18:36
The more things change the more things stay the same...2007 will be here in 6.5 hours.

Happy New Year Jim! I miss seeing you around the Chattanooga area. Have a good one!

PS: How many miles of trail did you build in '06?

MOWGLI
12-31-2006, 18:38
So how are you guys planning to celebrate New Year's Eve? Remember, we dinosaurs are living vicariously through you folks and have nearly died of boredom lately.

I've watched some football, done some reading, cleaned the house with my wife, and done some food shopping. We're expecting guests at 7 PM. A quiet dinner and perhaps a board game are on tap.

Be safe everyone!

rafe
12-31-2006, 18:43
Heading out in a few minutes, for Chinese food with a couple of friends... then back home for a DVD or two on the tube.

Lion King
12-31-2006, 18:47
Maybe get a bottle of Wine, maybe a smoke or two, but its amatuer hour on the roads and parites, I avoid them.

The people I love know I love them and I dont have to get drunk and puke on their rug and pass out in their tub with some girl I just meet for them to know it.

TJ aka Teej
12-31-2006, 19:51
So how are you guys planning to celebrate New Year's Eve?

I'm supervising about twenty 13-14 year old girls. My 17 year old son is in Boston, my 12 year old boy is at the local outdoors fest with some teammates, and Mrs TJ is across the street babysitting babies.
Big fun!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2006, 19:57
::: Prays for TJ's sanity :::

copythat
12-31-2006, 20:11
i had DOZENS of offers for tonight, among them a hot air balloon ride over boston (during the fireworks), a gala dance aboard a 150-year-old schooner, and a special night for two at lucerne's in new york city, but turned them all down. none of those offers could compete with the one i chose: working! that's where i am now, and where i will be next year. of course by next year, it will just be this year again. oh well.:-?

Trillium
12-31-2006, 20:12
I'm going to midnight mass and planning to sing my brains out. :)

copythat
12-31-2006, 20:15
I'm supervising about twenty 13-14 year old girls. My 17 year old son is in Boston, my 12 year old boy is at the local outdoors fest with some teammates, and Mrs TJ is across the street babysitting babies.
Big fun!

think lord of the flies ... :confused: ... kidding!

(i'd rather supervise girls than boys. :D )

Desert Lobster
12-31-2006, 20:29
Thinking of trying some lobster bisque tonight. Folks had such good recommendations for it. And I am a cannibal!

boarstone
12-31-2006, 20:54
Just hanging out here, awaiting the new year for you hiker folk to start heading out NOBO/SOBO, wishing you all well in whatever the new year has in store for you or you for it...Happy Trails...:banana

Brushy Sage
12-31-2006, 20:59
I had planned to go next door and have a late meal with my neighbors newly arrived from Cuba, and stay up, perhaps with a few sips of wine, to the new year. Unfortunately, I came down with the stomach flu today, so I'm sitting and lying at home, sipping soup and herbal tea, and visiting the bathroom as required. The main hospital in Asheville reports that around 700 people have been to the emergency room for treatment (mainly the advice to go home and rest and drink fluids to avoid dehydration, and stay away from other people).

brotheral
12-31-2006, 21:10
Have a good oak fire going in the cook stove, pellet stove is turned down low. We just ate a delicious meal of home made cole slaw, breaded jumbo butterfly shrimp, 2 inch thick top sirloin, and seasoned french fries. I'm stuffed and quite content !! Later on we'll have a dessert of brownies and butter pecan ice cream. Doubt that I'll make it 'til middnight, but I'm gonna try. Wish everyone Good health, Much happiness, and Many Blessings in 2007 !! Happy Trails To You............................Brotheral

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2006, 21:27
::: enroute to brotheral's house. Hope I get there before they serve the brownies :::

Heater
12-31-2006, 21:34
Have a good oak fire going in the cook stove, pellet stove is turned down low. We just ate a delicious meal of home made cole slaw, breaded jumbo butterfly shrimp,

Is that an FE100? :)

Heater
12-31-2006, 21:40
A quiet one this year. Gonna spend it with family.

Happy New Year to all. :D

woodsy
12-31-2006, 23:01

In for the night now, stoking the woodstove. Winter has finally arrived with 15 deg and white outside. Got a rack of special winter ale by The Shipyard Brewing Co., yum.
Looking forward to alot more hiking in 07 than in 06. Thanks to the many good folks at WB, i've a renewed interest in hiking which fell by the wayside for a few years.
Happy New Years WBers

Dances with Mice
12-31-2006, 23:06
Took my wife on a date downtown to see the Cirque de Soleil traveling show then hightailed it back home to spend the evening.

Cirque was good. The production was a different direction for Cirque - it was in English & had a plot! It also had midget acrobats. Serious acrobats who were midgets. Or dwarves, whatever. You don't see that everyday.

Way off topic rant: The juggling finale was cheesier than the theaters in Gatlinburg that play patriotic songs (Lee Greenwood's) and lower a giant flag to get everyone on their feet as their finale, thus guaranteeing a standing ovation for the cast. That was pretty cheesy, especially the third time we watched it.

Cirque wasn't that blatant but blowing the final trick once, trying again and coming oh, oh-so-close but just barely missing the incredibly difficult last catch and taking a bow to moderate applause. then being pushed, reluctantly, back out for a third time's the charm attempt, with a drum roll and syncopated audience clapping, and (gasp!) making it to wild applause!

Too bad it's exactly like every street performer and Ren Faire show I've seen.

Now if the highwire walker or trapeze artists followed that script, they'd have something! Or the contortionist. Most especially a midget contortionist.

OK, look, let's just forget I said that.

dixicritter
12-31-2006, 23:08

I'm staying home too. About ready to open some wine myself and try and keep up with ya! ;)

Minerva
01-01-2007, 00:27
After dinner, we went to the First Night Festivities in downtown Rutland, then popped over to see the movie "The Good Shepard", now we're watching a U2 concert on the big A LCD HD TV that made its way into our living room while I was out hiking this summer :-). [At least it wasn't another motorcycle!]

All the Irish in the house are happy. Just waiting for the midnight fireworks over the hills of Vermont! Nothing better than seeing fireworks on a snow covered mountain. They appear even brighter. :D
MrsGorp

jlb2012
01-01-2007, 00:28
Well after getting rather wet on Springer last night with excellent prospects for more of the same I decided to spend the New Year at home posting on WB

Lone Wolf - thank you - without your example I might have been up on Springer right now in a wet bag freezing my butt off

Lone Wolf
01-01-2007, 00:30
Right on bro, you're obviously smarter than the average bear.:)

Skidsteer
01-01-2007, 00:30
Well after getting rather wet on Springer last night with excellent prospects for more of the same I decided to spend the New Year at home posting on WB

Lone Wolf - thank you - without your example I might have been up on Springer right now in a wet bag freezing my butt off

Eminently sensible, HOI.

I took the same approach.

Footslogger
01-01-2007, 00:40

========================================

BadAss Turtle and I are just hangin out at home. Sub-zero outside but we've got a great fire going in the fireplace. A couple glasses of JagerMeister on the rocks. Some great music.

Just about to tune into a program and watch the ball drop on Time Square. Then it's off to LaLa land. Gotta get a good night's sleep cause we're headed to the slopes in the morning for a day of downhill sking to bring in the New Year.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
01-01-2007, 00:47
Done with work....off to Five Olde to see the New year come in.

Very best wishes to one and all for a happy and healthy 2007, especially those of you guys heading out next year to hike. See ya out there!

hopefulhiker
01-01-2007, 01:46
My kids just called. They watched the Apple Drop from Times Square, safe back in their hotel. As for me, watched Garrison on PBS....

Pokey2006
01-01-2007, 03:44
Well, I went hiking on the Appalachian Trail, of course! Is there any other way to ring in a new year?

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 18:15
I did that too! In fact, every time I walk home from Five Olde, it adds .8 to my accumulated Trail mileage. I think I'm at around 4,000 miles just in Hanover. Query : Do these count as Trail miles or not? :D

Heater
01-02-2007, 18:21
I did that too! In fact, every time I walk home from Five Olde, it adds .8 to my accumulated Trail mileage. I think I'm at around 4,000 miles just in Hanover. Query : Do these count as Trail miles or not? :D

Who's counting? :-?

:D

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 18:27
I'm not.

If I were, I'd know my accumulated mileage over the years, no?

My walk home adds .8, but what it actually adds up to, I haven't the faintest. Unlike a few folks I can think of, it was never something I paid particular attention to. :rolleyes:

Tipi Walter
01-02-2007, 18:36
In my twisted opinion, no hiking is "valid" unless a night is spent. Otherwise, everyone is a hiker and everyone hikes. Dangit, I just read that and it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Heater
01-02-2007, 18:46
In my twisted opinion, no hiking is "valid" unless a night is spent. Otherwise, everyone is a hiker and everyone hikes. Dangit, I just read that and it doesn't make a lick of sense.

What percentage of the time needs to be spent acually pitching a tent before overnighting on the trail becomes an AT, Slumberparty so to speak?
:-?

Ewker
01-02-2007, 21:35
I spent 3 days 2 nights on the Sheltowee Trace Trail. Great time even if it did rain some

Sleepy the Arab
01-02-2007, 23:26
I went bowling with friends.

Pokey2006
01-03-2007, 01:38
I don't know. I didn't spend the night (temps into the teens??? NOT!), but I sure hiked...16.5 miles in the snow, without sitting down once, only a few minutes' break at a time...I'd say I HIKED.

I'm jealous, Jack. I wish I could rack up AT miles simply by walking out my front door. No, I have to drive three hours to get anywhere near the AT.

But, the good news is: here in suburban Mass., there's NO SNOW! I can keep on hiking! Might not be the AT, but still, WEE HOO!