PDA

View Full Version : frame or frameless backpack??

happyhunter
12-31-2006, 20:24
I am new to the backpacking scene. I am trying to decide between a pack with an internal frame and a lightweight frameless pack, like a G4. I don't expect to haul a bunch of weight for miles of thru hiking. Just some short weekend trips. I hear some people haul as light as 15 pounds and some as heavy as 50 or 60 pounds.

My only comparison I have is I have a Kelty kid carrier and a little bundle of energy that weighs about 18 pounds. The two together weigh about 25 pounds. I walk the neighborhood hitting all the big hills. About a 2 mile route. It is a lot of fun watching for squirrels and birds and dogs. And I get some exercise. At the end of it my shoulders are feeling the weight. I use the hip belt and do have most of the weight on my hips. However, it seems like the carrier pulls backwards on my shoulders. Tims center of gravity is pretty far behind me and that would pull backwards on my shoulders. Is the child carrier anything like a pack?? If my carrier (with hip belt) pulls this hard on my shoulders I may do well to avoid a frameless pack.

copythat
12-31-2006, 20:51
my experience: kid carriers don't relate to well-designed/well-packed backpacks, whether they're external frame, internal frame or frameless. the kid (i've carried each of my three for plenty of miles) carries high and outside and the whole setup relies heavily (pun intended) on the shoulders.

FanaticFringer
12-31-2006, 20:51
I've got a FanaticFringe Thompson Peak pack that I really like. Weighs 10.5 ounces with hip belt.
www.fanaticfringe.com/page5.html

Spock
12-31-2006, 21:59
HappyHunter,
Decide what the pack has to carry, then pick a pack to fit.

If your gear is compact and lightweight you can use a frameless, beltless sub-10 oz pack. If your total pack weight with consumables goes over 30 pounds, you will probably be more satisfied with an internal frame pack with a hip belt. That is the default, no-lose option.

Personally, I use frameless, beltless packs, but I don't sell them. I think they give me more freedom of movement, more natural walking action and a longer stride.

Many frameless packs have hip belts. Few of them work properly because the distance between the belt lift points and the shoulder strap attachments decreases during the day, and that creates several kinds of discomfort. Using the sleeping pad as a frame is only marginally effective, IMHO. A simple stay or frame sheet system keeps the trunk length stable, and makes for a more reliable carry. The cost is 1 to 2.5 pounds. But again, match the pack to the gear you will carry.

happyhunter
12-31-2006, 23:50
Copythat,
thanks for the feedback. I figured the kid carrier would lever on my shoulders. Good to get that confirmed from someone else!!