Blissful
01-01-2007, 01:17
This is our year! :banana

Happy New Year!

Get ready, get set....

Go!!!!!

Lone Wolf
01-01-2007, 01:21
you gots to graduate first before you're a member of a class. good luck on your attempt, but most of you won't make it.:) have a good walk.

hopefulhiker
01-01-2007, 01:50
I think most of them will make it if they want to.... Good Luck Yawl!

Pokey2006
01-01-2007, 03:38
You can still be a member of a class even if you don't graduate ... Nice encouragement there, by the way. We all know the stats. But no need to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.

As far as I'm concerned, the class of 2007 includes anyone who sets off to hike the trail, whether they make it 2 miles or 2,000 miles. It's not like claiming to be part of the class of 2007 is the same as applying for 2,000-miler status...

Think about it -- don't you remember the drop-outs from your own high school class? Perhaps you were one of them? Still part of your "class," though, right?

rafe
01-01-2007, 09:32
As far as I'm concerned, the class of 2007 includes anyone who sets off to hike the trail, whether they make it 2 miles or 2,000 miles. It's not like claiming to be part of the class of 2007 is the same as applying for 2,000-miler status...

If you start in year X and end in year Y, are you "Class of X" or "Class of Y" ?:-?

emerald
01-01-2007, 13:27
This is our year! :banana

Happy New Year!

Get ready, get set....

Go!!!!!

and don't stop until you've gone where you want to go!:D

VictoriaM
01-01-2007, 21:51
I'm ready!!

EarthJourney
01-01-2007, 22:11
I was to be a member of the '07 class - but I've been held back <disiplinary problems :D >.

I hope the best for all of you. If you make it AWESOME! If you don't no problem, reload and try 'er again!!!!

stumpknocker
01-02-2007, 01:17
You can still be a member of a class even if you don't graduate ... Nice encouragement there, by the way. We all know the stats. But no need to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.

Think about it -- don't you remember the drop-outs from your own high school class? Perhaps you were one of them? Still part of your "class," though, right?

Nope, I was supposed to be a part of the "Class of '70" in school, but I didn't graduate. I dropped out of school and went to work. Never made it back to be a part of the "Class of '70" either, but never worried about it. I was too busy working. :)

I've now officially got one mile done on the AT this year (Springer to Rt 42), but that doesn't make me part of the "Class of '07".

Good luck to everyone and have a GREAT YEAR!!!!! :)

J Link NJ
01-02-2007, 02:04
who cares about classes, classes are for school. school is organization and stress and rules. i dont know about you, but i want my thru hike to be nothing like school. as many wise people have said "hike your own hike"

maxNcathy
01-02-2007, 10:13
Let's take the high road and leave our bloated ego behind in the rat race below where chronic comparisons and endless competitions rule and enslave.Free others and ourselves by viewing fellow hikers as equals.Think of snobbery as something between pitiful and pathetic.The steep grades ahead can be smoother more fun together.
Go, class of '07!!

Jaybird
01-02-2007, 10:16
GOOD LUCK to all of you 2007 hikers!

hope you make it all the way!

please say "hello" to me & "Jigsaw" when you pass us in Central Virginia!:D

maxNcathy
01-02-2007, 13:43
Let's take the high road and leave our bloated egos behind in the rat race far below where chronic comparisons and endless competitions rule and enslave.Free others and ourselves by viewing fellow hikers as equals.Think of snobbery as something between pitiful and pathetic.The steep grades ahead can be much smoother and more fun together.
Go, class of '07!!

Slightly edited above by

Sandalwood

Undershaft
01-02-2007, 14:01
Good Luck to everyone thruhiking and section hiking this year. Lets not sweat the details and semantics, and just have fun!

stumpknocker
01-02-2007, 18:22

I took a walk on the AT near Hog Pen Gap in Georgia today and I started thinking about what Pokey2006 said in the quoted post above to the 2007 hikers. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that bothers me about the post except that if someone starts out to do a thru hike of the AT with thoughts that it doesn't matter if they make it or not....they most likely won't make it.

They may have lots of fun along the way, but they probably won't finish the walk they started. It's a completely different thing if you are going out to do a section of the AT. but if you're going out this year with plans to do a thru hike, you had better get it in your head right from the beginning that you ARE going to walk from one end of the Trail to the other end, NO MATTER WHAT.

My opinion of completing a thru hike is that it is much more of a mental thing to be able to walk the entire Trail, than it is a physical thing. I've seen some of the strongest looking 20 and 30 year olds drop out, while frail hikers that you wouldn't think could walk a mile when you look at them, have finished the walk they started. The difference.....determination.

If a hiker goes into their planned thru hike thinking that it doesn't matter if they finish what they started or not, that it's OK if they drop out, then I believe they will probably drop out the first time things get tough out there....and those tough times WILL come.

I'm hoping this post will help get this year's thru hikers ready mentally for what they are doing....I'm sure most of you have everything else you need to complete a thru hike by now.

When I'm out walking and I ask a hiker how far they are walking, a common answer I get is; "I'm hoping to make it to Katahdin", or if they ars a sobo, they might say; "I'm hoping to make it to Springer".

Go out and have fun, but when someone asks you how far you are wallking, tell them you ARE going to Katahdin!!.....or you ARE going to Springer. :)

Blissful
01-02-2007, 21:06
I took a walk on the AT near Hog Pen Gap in Georgia today and I started thinking about what Pokey2006 said in the quoted post above to the 2007 hikers. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that bothers me about the post except that if someone starts out to do a thru hike of the AT with thoughts that it doesn't matter if they make it or not....they most likely won't make it.

They may have lots of fun along the way, but they probably won't finish the walk they started. It's a completely different thing if you are going out to do a section of the AT. but if you're going out this year with plans to do a thru hike, you had better get it in your head right from the beginning that you ARE going to walk from one end of the Trail to the other end, NO MATTER WHAT.

My opinion of completing a thru hike is that it is much more of a mental thing to be able to walk the entire Trail, than it is a physical thing. I've seen some of the strongest looking 20 and 30 year olds drop out, while frail hikers that you wouldn't think could walk a mile when you look at them, have finished the walk they started. The difference.....determination.

If a hiker goes into their planned thru hike thinking that it doesn't matter if they finish what they started or not, that it's OK if they drop out, then I believe they will probably drop out the first time things get tough out there....and those tough times WILL come.

I'm hoping this post will help get this year's thru hikers ready mentally for what they are doing....I'm sure most of you have everything else you need to complete a thru hike by now.

When I'm out walking and I ask a hiker how far they are walking, a common answer I get is; "I'm hoping to make it to Katahdin", or if they ars a sobo, they might say; "I'm hoping to make it to Springer".

Go out and have fun, but when someone asks you how far you are wallking, tell them you ARE going to Katahdin!!.....or you ARE going to Springer. :)

WOW (deep breath), great, meaningful post and from someone who went through all kinds of adversity to make it. You're an inspiration. Thanks a bunch. I know for me, Katahdin seems daunting at times, and so far away. But I like the idea of saying I am going all the way to Katahdin, see you there. So it's go, go go, whether you want to call yourself part of the class of 2007 or just a thru hiker in the year 2007! :)

Bread
01-02-2007, 21:39
89 days and counting down.
This is going to be fun!