PDA

View Full Version : Food Choices along the Trail

2009ThruHiker
01-01-2007, 15:01
I'd like to know how easy it is to find good food choices such as non-hydrogenated peanut butter, healthy power bars, organic or natural products, etc. for resupply. We plan on doing some postal food drops, but I'd like to minimize these as much as possible for obvious reasons. Also how easy is it to find healthy prepared meals at resupply points, such as backpackers pantry and natural high products?

rafe
01-01-2007, 16:28
I'd like to know how easy it is to find good food choices such as non-hydrogenated peanut butter, healthy power bars, organic or natural products, etc. for resupply. We plan on doing some postal food drops, but I'd like to minimize these as much as possible for obvious reasons. Also how easy is it to find healthy prepared meals at resupply points, such as backpackers pantry and natural high products?

Depends on how far you're willing to go "off trail." Don't expect much from the stores & mini-marts closest to the trail. If you're willing to walk or hitch (typically, just a few miles) then you're likely to find a better-stocked grocery or supermarket.