PDA

View Full Version : Bladder w/ nalgene lid

humunuku
01-01-2007, 19:02
Does anyone have experience with bladders that have a Nalgene sized opening/lid. The ones I can find are MSR and Nalgene (I have an old Deuter one that I done think they make anymore).

Which one is the best?
(I have a mini-works filter that screws onto nalgene sized openings, and thats handy, I like handy)

jasonklass
01-01-2007, 20:50
I have a couple of Nalgene canteens and haven't had any problems with them. I use them for my camp sink: http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/jasonsink.htm

Toolshed
01-01-2007, 21:01
Over the course of a couple of years in the late 90's my Nalgene soft 2.5 litre containers both tore - They didn't leak, but the tears would have casued them to leak withouth putting a bit of duct tape on them.

I have 2 MSR Drom bags - Both 4 litres. I got them in 1991 and them MSR replaced them for free in 1996 or 1997 due to leaching of taste into water.

The bags were indestrcutible then and still. They have been frozen solid with water on bitter cold nights and no worse to wear. They still seem to put a distinct taste into the water, but it might just be iodine that I usd to use in the bags. I have been very happy with MSR otherwise.

Booley
01-01-2007, 21:43
I have 2 MSR Drom bags - Both 4 litres. I got them in 1991 and them MSR replaced them for free in 1996 or 1997 due to leaching of taste into water.

Toolshed, I have a six liter that has leeched it's funky taste into the water as well. I've never had boiling water in it, so I guess it's just the liner. Mine is definitely of that era. How was MSR to deal with back then? No hassles? I'll probably send mine back as well because it's compatable w/ my miniworks and is good for one trip to the watersource.

Thanks!

jasonklass
01-01-2007, 23:22
You can also return the Nalgenes at REI if they leak.

Booley
01-02-2007, 00:43
Does anyone have experience with bladders that have a Nalgene sized opening/lid.

I really like the Dromdary bags and have had mine for years. Of course now, MSR has the Dromlites which will be my next bladder w/hydration tube for the pack. It is lighter than a Camelback and I like the option of being able to have it screw into the threads of the miniworks, or use the tube with my filter without removing it from the pack. The Dromedary bag is the only one with these threads I've used. They last, and if they don't MSR has a good return policy (just checked).

hammock engineer
01-02-2007, 01:11
I have used both. I think the MSR dom. lite bag would hold up pretty well. I do not like how the hydration tube screws into the lid. I have had this come loose and soak my pack once. I also think they are hard to hold and fill. The nalgene canteens stand up on their own.

I now use the nalgene canteens. I have no complaints so far. I did tear a hole in one. I had it in the side mesh pocket in my pack. I think a stick punched a hole in it.

cutman11
01-02-2007, 01:18
I have the MSR 4 liter bladder(usually carry half full to start the day) and have the hydration tube set up with it. I use the Katahdin filter with the nalgene size connector and have had no problems at all. I usually also carry a small reserve nalgene (500ml)(which doubles as a foot warmer at night, and serves as water to cook with so I dont have to filter immediately upon arriving in camp if the bladder is empty)and have a 2 oz water collection bag that holds 10 liters to retrieve water from the sources and then filter out of it. Thats my entire water management system. Total weight without water = 1.5lb.

Mags
01-02-2007, 16:21
You can also return the Nalgenes at REI if they leak.

Wow..that's cool.

I'm a big fan of the cantene, but they do eventually wear out..usually at the end of a long hike for me. Used one on the PCT, and another one on the Colorado Trail and CDT hikes.

Have to take a trip to REI this week!

I use the Cantene as it is lighter than the MSR bag; I also like the widemouth vs. the narrow mouth of platys.

hammock engineer
01-03-2007, 01:01
Wow..that's cool.

I'm a big fan of the cantene, but they do eventually wear out..usually at the end of a long hike for me. Used one on the PCT, and another one on the Colorado Trail and CDT hikes.

Have to take a trip to REI this week!

I use the Cantene as it is lighter than the MSR bag; I also like the widemouth vs. the narrow mouth of platys.

For what its worth. I can't remember where but I remember reading somewhere that the canteen bodies were not covered under the Nalgene warrenty, just the lids. I don't think it was on REI's site, but somewhere. It is probibly part of the REI return policy somewhere.

hammock engineer
01-03-2007, 02:59
Boston, thanks for the clearification.

Toolshed
01-03-2007, 10:36
Toolshed, I have a six liter that has leeched it's funky taste into the water as well. I've never had boiling water in it, so I guess it's just the liner. Mine is definitely of that era. How was MSR to deal with back then? No hassles? I'll probably send mine back as well because it's compatable w/ my miniworks and is good for one trip to the watersource.

Thanks!

Booley,
MSR has been wonderful to deal with over the years. I have broken stiove pumps on winter trips that would have cost $25 to replace at EMS - One call to them and they ship out a free one. Same with the flip nozzle on the MSR Drom Bags - Lost one and they replaced it free - had a new one within 3 days. Bought a Missing Link and noticed some seepage near teh back vent - called them and they sent a tube of seal (for sylnylon) They have great customer service and I like it!!!

JJB
01-03-2007, 12:11
I have both the Nalgene and MSR bladders. I would give my vote to the Nalgene. I hang mine in my Atmos 50. The dog ears that the bladder hangs from didn't seem like that they would be up to the task with the MSR. I'm not talking about the Drom., but the semi clear one. It ended up in my Camelback for bike riding. I have 35+ trail days on the Nalgene and it still has plenty left.YMMV.
Peace. JJB.