PDA

View Full Version : Crowds in late February?

got milf?
01-01-2007, 19:41
I've section hiked all of the trail south of VA except for Springer to Dick's Creek Gap. I'll be able to do that section during the third week of February, but am wondering if I'll be stuck in early thru-hiker traffic. How bad will the crowds be in late February in GA?

MOWGLI
01-01-2007, 19:43
Some shelters could be full, but you should have plenty of solitude during the weekdays, and lots of places to pitch a tent.

mweinstone
01-01-2007, 20:29
This message has been edited due to deviation from stated intent of this topic.

Straight Forward Forum posts are moderated. Postings in this forum must be on topic. This forum is intended for a more straight forward discussion. Other forums on Whiteblaze offer wide ranging dialogue.

Your views and posting are always welcome at Whiteblaze.net when they stay within the user agreement.

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

Skidsteer
01-01-2007, 20:54
I've section hiked all of the trail south of VA except for Springer to Dick's Creek Gap. I'll be able to do that section during the third week of February, but am wondering if I'll be stuck in early thru-hiker traffic. How bad will the crowds be in late February in GA?

I wouldn't worry too much about it in the third week of February. There'll be some folks hiking but the lemming migration gets stoked up in March.

Jim Adams
01-01-2007, 23:39
Peacefrog started his hike in 2002 on Feb. 17 and saw a few hikers here and there but for the most part he had shelters to himself for the first two weeks until he caught a few earlier starters.

DewDrop
01-02-2007, 00:07
May I tack on a request for weather on the AT heading North from Springer
during that period? I haven't found any historical record for temp and snow
during Feb. Any info would be appreciated.

Gramp

Hepcatt
01-31-2007, 22:21
I started Feb 25, 1998, weather was sunny and in the 70's. Don't be fooled, when March came so did the snow and freezing nights. The Smoky's will still have snow when you get ther4e and possibilities of storms will be very high.

Don't let that stop you though.

I always had room in the shelters, having gotten out just before the rush of March 1.

Mountain Man
01-31-2007, 22:46

I'll be out there that week with a couple of others, so we'll probably see you on the trail. Starting from Amicalola on the 20th of Feb.

Grandma Dixie
02-01-2007, 00:26
I'm starting out the 25. Sringer, here I come!

drdewrag
02-01-2007, 07:37

Gramp

You might want to check this out...
http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp

DewDrop
02-12-2007, 05:19
DrDewrag hit the spot! The graph at <http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp> gives record lows and highs, plus the average range for
cities along the AT.

As an aside: DrDewrag will soon see Dewdrop in lieu of Gramp on the
trail. looking forward to that!

briarpatch
02-12-2007, 10:15
I'll be out there that week with a couple of others, so we'll probably see you on the trail. Starting from Amicalola on the 20th of Feb.

MM,

You'll miss seeing Many Sleeps by 2 days :( . He starts as the Springer Caretaker on Feb 23 this year.

Good luck on your hike!

briarpatch
02-12-2007, 10:19

Gramp

Check the forecast for Dahlonega, Helen, Blairsville, and Hiawassee. Those towns roughly parallel the AT in GA. Depending on what part of the trail you plan on hiking, Dahlonega/Blairsville will give you forecasts for the Springer to Neels Gap part of the trail, and Helen/Hiawassee match the Unicoi to the Dicks Creek Gap stretch of the AT.

The temperatures on the trail can be from 10-20 degrees cooler than in the towns, especially at elevation.

galaleemc
02-12-2007, 11:20
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions/webcam.htm

Good weather links on same page.

Enjoy