PDA

View Full Version : Took my first step (so to speak) bought boots.

Orange_Crush
01-02-2007, 12:04
Hit the REI a couple of days ago to pick up my first ever set of hiking boots. I decided that I was going to budget the largest amount of money for my boots since I have wide feet, fallen arches, weak ankles, and am prone to occasional disc problems.

I think I tried on every single piece of footwear in the place and walked the entire store plus their little mini "rock hill" at least twice in each pair before I finally settled on a pair of Vasque Clarion GTX boots. I walked five miles in them the day I got them with no ill effects (save for a minor toe blister corrected with better lace tightening).

The excitement is building.

Rufous Sided Towhee
01-02-2007, 20:56
The excitement is building.

Sweet! :)

Love the smell of new gear...

STEVEM
01-02-2007, 20:56
I have the very same boots, and have had very good luck with mine. I am a dayhiker and probably average 7 to 12 miles on my hikes. My boots have about 500 miles now, and I think they have lots more in them. I've never had any type of foot injury, the boots have never soaked through, and my feet have never become cold. I am however a dayhiker. My experience might be different if I hiked every day.

Even though I like my Vasque boots, They do seem heavy and hot in the summer. I plan to buy a pair of trail runners soon for my summer hiking.

Good luck, what are your hiking plans?

Orange_Crush
01-02-2007, 21:51
I have the very same boots, and have had very good luck with mine. I am a dayhiker and probably average 7 to 12 miles on my hikes. My boots have about 500 miles now, and I think they have lots more in them. I've never had any type of foot injury, the boots have never soaked through, and my feet have never become cold. I am however a dayhiker. My experience might be different if I hiked every day.

Even though I like my Vasque boots, They do seem heavy and hot in the summer. I plan to buy a pair of trail runners soon for my summer hiking.

Good luck, what are your hiking plans?

I'll be hiking the AT throught the Great Smoky Mts. Nat'l park and probably some more. I'll be hiking in May or June.

They are relatively heavy and, after a 4.5 mile pavement walk today, I felt some mild discomfort in the ball of my left foot, but I'm expecting that to get a little better as I lose some weight. I may also pick up some different insoles to deal with my flat feet...but otherwise I find them very comfortable.

Outlaw
01-03-2007, 10:24
They are relatively heavy and, after a 4.5 mile pavement walk today, I felt some mild discomfort in the ball of my left foot, but I'm expecting that to get a little better as I lose some weight. I may also pick up some different insoles to deal with my flat feet...but otherwise I find them very comfortable.

I personally have never found any hiking boot comfortable when hiking on blacktop. I always try to avoid pavement if at all possible... just too unforgiving on the feet, knees and back. If I have to hike on pavement, I usually switch to my Crocs.

You may want to look into SuperFeet insoles. They may be able to correct a number of issues you mentioned in your first post. Also, check your choice of socks or combination of socks. That could be the source of your problem with the ball of your foot, e.g. the sock shifted and caused a hot spot.