PDA

View Full Version : Where would you hike?

superflatz
01-02-2007, 12:39
Here's the theory:

You're 51, newly retired, fairly good shape, new to hiking/backpacking - and a little nervous at your inexperience.

You're travelling around this beautiful country of ours.

If time wasn't a problem (hence the retirement thing), where would you hike to enjoy and also get experience backpacking? What are your favorite hikes in America?

bob:-?

swift
01-02-2007, 12:41
In my book, Maine and northern New Hampshire is what it's all about

joedannajr
01-02-2007, 13:02
The Presidential range in NH is most spectacular. Take it slow and just soak up the views.

Spirit Walker
01-02-2007, 13:03
Depends on the time of year and how far you want to travel. Winter time I would head to southern Arizona or the coast of California. Spring would be the Gila, the Chiricauhuas or the southern AT. June would be the AT - Shenandoahs or Roan Highlands, southern Utah or PA. July - August would be Colorado, the Wind River Range, Yellowstone, the Absaroka-Beartooths, the Cascades, or northern California. September-October would be Maine, the Bob Marshall Wilderness, the Smokies, northern PA.

superflatz
01-02-2007, 13:05
Great ideas. Mas Mas Por Favor!!

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 13:07
I'd focus on the National Parks. Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier, Big Bend, Olympic, Cape Cod, Acadia, Badlands, etc. Yup. That's what I'd do. Buy yourself one of those passports to the National Parks, go out and discover the USA.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-02-2007, 13:07
I'd start out during the winter months in FL on the the FL scenic trail (flat - good place to start getting in shape to backpack and learn the ropes as you're never way out in the boonies). Go on to Alabama's Pinhoti Trail and then on to the Benton Mackay Trail and then up the Appalachian Trail. This should take most of a year and allow you to spend Thanksgiving thru Christmas with friends and family. The next year, I'd head for Mexico and the southern terminus of the Continental Divide Trail and head north. The following year, I'd head for the southern terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail (CA / Mexico border) and head north.

Jim Adams
01-02-2007, 13:14
put on a pack and walk. its just a long walk with a new yard every morning that you don't have to mow!
geek

JimSproul
01-02-2007, 13:27
If I was in Texas I would check here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Backpacking-Trails-Texas-Sixth/dp/158979205X/sr=8-3/qid=1167758626/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-1768623-0703909?ie=UTF8&s=books

Some that I would suggest are Big Bend South Rim, Guadelope Peak and Cap Rock State Trailway.

If you want a good selection of trails that would make good proving grounds, I would check out the rails to trails conversions. One amazon book which has a 1000 rail to trails hikes is:

http://www.amazon.com/1000-Great-Rail-Trails-3rd-Comprehensive/dp/0762728191/sr=1-2/qid=1167758769/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-1768623-0703909?ie=UTF8&s=books

Right up the road from you in North West Arkansas is the Ouachita Trail. Check out this:
http://www.friendsot.org/

By the way, I would skip that long trail down by Huntsville. There are some heavy metal / water issues and the bugs could carry your pack for you!

DawnTreader
01-02-2007, 13:41
Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, Alabama, Maine, New Hampshire, Mass, Ct, Vt, Mi, Fl, Tn, ect. ect. ect. Everywhere!!!!

Lyle
01-02-2007, 13:42
In the summer, I think the trail through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the UP of Michigan is an EXCELLENT first backpacking trail. Relatively flat, easy, 40 miles, several easy outs if necessary, public transportation to points along the trail from either end, great scenery, and variety. Hard to beat.

RadioFreq
01-02-2007, 17:59
Try the Superior Hiking Trail along the north shore of Lake Superior.

little bear
01-02-2007, 18:31
Try the Superior Hiking Trail along the north shore of Lake Superior.

I want to hike that trail this fall(august/september) what can you tell me about it and does anyone want to hike it with me?

Tipi Walter
01-02-2007, 18:48
Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, Alabama, Maine, New Hampshire, Mass, Ct, Vt, Mi, Fl, Tn, ect. ect. ect. Everywhere!!!!

Everywhere pretty much sums it up. I think alot of backpackers start out testing gear in their backyards. Setting up tents, lofting sleeping bags, waiting for the rain. It's a good place to start. Carrying a loaded backpack around the block is another way to prepare and to get in shape.

Exploratory dayhikes are also a good way to prepare for future backpacking trips.

yappy
01-02-2007, 19:35
Don't forget this state... she is a beauty and we have trails for all levels. The views are outta this world and have to be seen to be believed.....so if you are feeling REALLY adventurous come on up and see the BIG state.:sun

Spirit Walker
01-02-2007, 20:41
I agree that Alaska is definitely worth hiking - but the best hiking is not for beginners as so many areas have no marked trails. Best to be comfortable in the backcountry and with navigation before you hit the Alaskan wilderness. Though if you stick to places like the Chilkoot Trail or the trails in the Kenai, even a beginner shouldn't have too much trouble.

yappy
01-02-2007, 21:31
Just don't start out too aggressively...and do your homework. There are some nice day hikes right outside fairbanks... haven't spent much time SE.. a little... and there are nice ones down in that area as well but the country is BIG in all these areas... I did enjoy the Chilkoot... we have around here several 30 mile loops ... but, bring your good sense with ya....it is the most important thing you will bring out into the woods. Let me know if you actually make your way here and I will show ya a bit of paradise... Alaska style:sun

mrc237
01-02-2007, 21:48
The Grand Canyon would be a great place to start. Go in Feb. less crowds use the Bright Angel Trail hike down to Indian Gardens (4.6 mi) and camp if you like or go all the way down to Phantom Ranch (9.6 mi). Awesome hike and everyone will know where you were.

esmithz
01-02-2007, 22:13
I left the AT early this last year and headed west. Do what I did.

This upcoming summer you should definitely spend one or two weeks in Yosemite Valley California (rated #1 park in the nation). Fly into Fresno and drive north about 2 hours to Yosemite. Camp in the campground in the valley to save driving time. There are a bunch of cool dayhikes. Halfdome and Upper Yosemite Falls are two of the best hikes. Water pools at the top of the falls you can swim in. Later in the week or next week go north out of the valley and hike Mt Dana. This is a 6.5 mile day hike but a great hike to get your heartrate up and see some awesome views. The last thing you should do before heading home is Hike to the summit of Mt Whitney. Plan to camp overnight on Whitney. Hike in the upper campground because the lower campground has mosquitos. You need to add your name to a lottery in February to get a pass for Whitney. After Whitney finish the week and drive back to Fresno. This 1 to 2 weeks will change your life.

Programbo
01-02-2007, 22:29
I`d start by hiking the C & O Canal that runs along the length of the Potomac for 186 miles from Cumberland to Washington DC..Fairly easy hiking for a first trip..Historical..naturally scenic..Fishing if that`s your thing.. Passes near a number of small towns if you aren`t as ready for total solitude as many aren`t on their first outings or don`t wish to carry a lot of gear plus you can stay in a motel every now and then if you wish.. Passes close to a number of historic areas which are just a short distance off the canal towpath..Plus you end up in Washington DC so you can take any number of types of transportation out once you are done

fiddlehead
01-02-2007, 23:09
It's tough to beat western hiking: CT, parts of the PCT, AZT. etc.
WA, OR ID MT are my favorites but you may want to start out in CA or CO as there are more people around if you want that.

The Solemates
01-03-2007, 00:06
Here's the theory:

You're 51, newly retired, fairly good shape, new to hiking/backpacking - and a little nervous at your inexperience.

You're travelling around this beautiful country of ours.

If time wasn't a problem (hence the retirement thing), where would you hike to enjoy and also get experience backpacking? What are your favorite hikes in America?

bob:-?

i would say try the john muir trail if you are comfortable with it. that will wet your appetite and the trail is short enough to get you back to the real world in just a few weeks. however, this trail is a little more backcountry travelling than an inexperienced backpacker usually tackles...so its your decision, but you could do it no problem. otherwise, just take off from springer mtn and head north and stop when you get tired. you may find you do the whole trail cause you are enjoying it so much.

cutman11
01-03-2007, 02:53
Awww c'mon guys, all he needs to do is read the gear lists and the tweeks on this website, get to Springer, and follow the whiteblazes to Katahdin. When the weather gets too rough, or the trail wears on the body, just take a few zeros and then resume when all is well. You got all the time you need. If it takes 2 years, so be it, or as in my case, 10 years, its still great to hike the AT!!

hammock engineer
01-03-2007, 03:13
I second the AT or something shorter like the BMT or Lt if you want to hike it all.

I read about Parashant National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/para/)a while ago and since I always wanted to go there. It is the national park that Clinton added (http://www.blm.gov/az/parashant/bkgdp.htm) that adds to the Grand Canyon National park. It only has 2 semi-maintained trails in its 1,014,000 acres of land. No developed Campsites. Definitly on my list of places to visit. Added plus of seeing the grand canyon area with very few tourons (if any).

kyhipo
01-03-2007, 07:39
with out a doubt the appalachian trail is the most friendliest long trail in the US for people who are new to the sport or hobbie.I will allow a chance to hike and take time to chill and resupply fairly easy.ky

maxNcathy
01-03-2007, 09:57
The Bruce Trail runs 450 miles north from Niagara Falls to Tobermory on Georgian Bay.The northern part is very scenic on the Bruce Peninsula.

superflatz
01-03-2007, 22:29
I appreciate all these great ideas. It's really exciting because I have no time constraints.

I have been looking at the PCT and CDT. My problem is, there seems to be so little info that I feel comfortable with. I worry about water, food resupplies, etc.

I would really like to also do the coast to coast. But I can't find credible info on resupplies.

So, being inexperienced, I am concerned. I do want to hike the AT - and will!! I just want to go all over the US.

Keep the great suggestions coming, please!!
bob

rafe
01-03-2007, 23:38
Since nobody's mentioned it yet.... how about the Adirondacks, in upstate New York? There's no "continuous trail" but very challenging and rewarding terrain, with magnificent views. There's a vast network of trails, plenty of high peaks, shelters, and campsites. A good "introduction" to what the AT might feel like, and a bit more freedom than you might experience in the Whites. Arguably wilder than the Whites -- more like Maine, in fact.

Bravo
01-03-2007, 23:39
There's some great hiking in AZ. Just got back from Havasupai last week. BEAUTIFUL!!!

But that's just a couple days. If you've got time Thru Baby Thru!:D