PDA

View Full Version : Bryson's Now An Honorary OBE

Buckles
01-02-2007, 15:13
The Brits must be scraping the bottom of the literature barrel....

American author Bill Bryson has been made an honorary OBE for his contribution to literature.

Bryson, who is best known for his witty travel writings, received the honour from Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell.
"I am surprised and very grateful to receive an honorary Order of the British Empire. It is a great honour," said the 55-year-old.
Ms Jowell said: "Despite having been born and raised in the US, he has become a true British institution."
Bryson, who has also worked as a journalist for the Times and the Independent, had his first book published in 1985.
He has gone on to write about the history of the English language in Mother Tongue and science in A Short History of Nearly Everything, for which he won the Aventis Prize in 2004.
Among his travel writings are Notes from a Big Country, about his pursuits around America, and Notes from a Small Island, which features his musings on Great Britain. Last year the best-selling writer became chancellor of Durham University.

moxie
01-02-2007, 15:19
He is no thru hiker, or for that matter a hiker at all but he does have a good imigination and is a good writer. Just be thankful that as an American Citizen he can never become Sir Bill

rafe
01-02-2007, 15:38
Never did understand the antagonism and antipathy between Bryson and "the hiking community." But long beyond caring. I'm a hiker and I've read everything he's ever published. Makes me laugh, makes me smile, and some of it even educates me.

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 15:39
Why thumbs down? Even if you didn't care for A Walk in the Woods, you can't dispute that he is very talented, and extraordinarily successful as a writer.

rafe
01-02-2007, 15:45
Why thumbs down? Even if you didn't care for A Walk in the Woods, you can't dispute that he is very talented, and extraordinarily successful as a writer.

I guess 'cuz some folks think they're superior to Mr. Bryson because they've hiked farther. Me, I think they're jealous because they're not as smart, talented or rich.

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 15:46
I think they're jealous because they're not as smart, talented or rich.

Must be why some people don't like me. ;) I mean - what's not to like??? :banana

jlb2012
01-02-2007, 16:07
Must be why some people don't like me. ;) I mean - what's not to like??? :banana

well that freeking banana for one ...

weary
01-02-2007, 16:09
What, pray tell, is an OBE?

jlb2012
01-02-2007, 16:11
What, pray tell, is an OBE?

as mentioned above its an "Order of the British Empire"

icemanat95
01-02-2007, 16:48
Bryson is a witty and skilled writer. Thru-hikers judge him badly for "Walk in the Woods" but this is only a small part of his literary output. Putting our bias as hikers aside, "A Walk in the Woods" was critically well received for what it was intended as, a witty and entertaining look at the AT and those who walk it.

Good for him, a OBE is a significant honor.

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 17:02
well that freeking banana for one ...

I must say, the bannana is growing on me...
:)
Will fungicides help?
:banana

D'Artagnan
01-02-2007, 17:08
I like his writing. Reminds me a lot of the late Lewis Grizzard and Garrison Keillor.

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 17:13
I like his writing. Reminds me a lot of the late Lewis Grizzard and Garrison Keillor.

Hey!
Garrison is still alive!
;-)

rafe
01-02-2007, 17:19
Hey!
Garrison is still alive!
;-)

Indeed, I was watching him on PBS on New Years' eve...

NICKTHEGREEK
01-02-2007, 17:26
Never did understand the antagonism and antipathy between Bryson and "the hiking community." But long beyond caring. I'm a hiker and I've read everything he's ever published. Makes me laugh, makes me smile, and some of it even educates me.

Concur without reservation.

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 17:31
HOI, if you listen carefully, the banana is saying (repeatedly), "don't hate me because I'm beautiful." :banana :banana :banana :banana

D'Artagnan
01-02-2007, 17:31
Hey!
Garrison is still alive!
;-)

Curse the English language! I meant that only Mr. Grizzard was deceased. Mr. Keillor is still very much alive. BTW, have any of you seen the film "A Prarie Home Companion"? If you like GK, you'll like the film. :D

rafe
01-02-2007, 17:39
Curse the English language!

Odd that you should say that in a Bryson thread. He's written two excellent non-fiction books on the English language. ;)

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 17:41
Curse the English language! I meant that only Mr. Grizzard was deceased. Mr. Keillor is still very much alive. BTW, have any of you seen the film "A Prarie Home Companion"? If you like GK, you'll like the film. :D

I heart GK and have seen a live performance of A Prairie Home Companion (12/25/99) but I didn't like the film. Go figure. Saw Captain America (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13393&catid=member&imageuser=163) at The Gathering, and he credited me with turning him on to Prairie Home Companion at Groundhog Creek Shelter - in a snowstorm. Had a small AM/FM radio, and the whole shelter listened to a show on 4/8/2000 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=85542). :)

Speaking of writers, I have been on a Steinbeck streak of late. I'm currently reading East of Eden. What a writer!

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 18:57
Curse the English language! I meant that only Mr. Grizzard was deceased. Mr. Keillor is still very much alive. :D

Indeed, I gathered your intention.
However, it being a bannana op, :bananaI succumbed to perdition.
I sold out for a fruit.

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 19:03
However, it being a bannana op, :bananaI succumbed to perdition.

That's a tough road to go down. Some like Tom Hanks never made it back. ;)

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 19:07
Speaking of writers, I have been on a Steinbeck streak of late. I'm currently reading East of Eden. What a writer!

Speakink of readink, I'm neck-deep in "Thirteen Moons," a Christmas gift. Fellow TarHeel Chas. Frazier can sure tell a ripping tale of the Appalachians.

Also got "Andy Catlett:Early Travels:A Novel by Wendell Berry. Gentle story, liked it but not near as much as my all-time favorite berry "Jayber Crow."

:banana is to restore balance to the thread.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/1593761368.01._PIsitb-st-arrow,TopLeft,-1,-14_OU01_AA100_SCTHUMBZZZ_V62302887_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Andy-Catlett-Early-Travels-Novel/dp/1593761368/sr=8-2/qid=1167779154/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-8748839-2247855?ie=UTF8&s=books)

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2007, 19:08
That's a tough road to go down. Some like Tom Hanks never made it back. ;)

You are so quick!

Mags
01-02-2007, 19:55

Ever read Travels with Charley ? Excellent book that appeals to the wanderlust in all of us.

From the opening chapter:
When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature
people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy
prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever
and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. ...
In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum.
I fear the disease is incurable.

MOWGLI
01-02-2007, 21:55
Ever read Travels with Charley ? Excellent book that appeals to the wanderlust in all of us.

From the opening chapter:
When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature
people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy
prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever
and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. ...
In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum.
I fear the disease is incurable.

I just added it to my "wish list" at Paperbackswap (http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php). Thanks for the tip Mags!

Desert Lobster
01-02-2007, 23:04
"Travels with Charlie" is an excellent read says this hard shell.

D'Artagnan
01-03-2007, 09:34
I heart GK and have seen a live performance of A Prairie Home Companion (12/25/99) but I didn't like the film. Go figure. Saw Captain America (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13393&catid=member&imageuser=163) at The Gathering, and he credited me with turning him on to Prairie Home Companion at Groundhog Creek Shelter - in a snowstorm. Had a small AM/FM radio, and the whole shelter listened to a show on 4/8/2000 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=85542). :)

You can listen to old broadcasts at http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/

A Warning: It's addictive! Ah, hell, here goes --- :banana

orangebug
01-03-2007, 09:35
He was interviewed on NPR the other evening. I don't think he is terribly bothered by the disapproval of a few hikers. While the Walk In The Woods helped make him rich, his literary successes are broader and well received. If you really want to dislike a book of his, try the Short History of the Universe. (or some such title. The pontifications make WITW sound scholarly.

rafe
01-03-2007, 09:40
If you really want to dislike a book of his, try the Short History of the Universe. (or some such title. The pontifications make WITW sound scholarly.

Actually, it's called "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's now on its 2nd or third printing; there's also a hardbound edition that is beautifully illustrated. Intensely funny, like everything else he's written.

Undershaft
01-03-2007, 14:46
MOWGLI: If you haven't already, check out Tortilla Flats. It's one of my favorite Steinbeck books. I also agree that Travels with Charley is excellent. I wish I still had my copy.

Boat Drinks
01-03-2007, 14:55
Disregarding the comments I've read on WB regarding Bryson's "Walk"; I found it thoroughly entertaining and fun to read. :sun I thought he was pretty good at describing some of the pre-hike anxieties and trials we all go through, at least that I've gone thru...

MOWGLI
01-03-2007, 15:09
MOWGLI: If you haven't already, check out Tortilla Flats. It's one of my favorite Steinbeck books. I also agree that Travels with Charley is excellent. I wish I still had my copy.

Ordered it. Thanks!

orangebug
01-03-2007, 20:45
Actually, it's called "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's now on its 2nd or third printing; there's also a hardbound edition that is beautifully illustrated. Intensely funny, like everything else he's written.My mistake was getting it on Audible.Com and listening to him read on my iPod. The Sunburned Country was a much better read by Bryson.

Hopefully, his version of a condensed explanation of the universe would be well illustrated and entertaining. I found a hilarious version of A Brief History of the Universe back in med school (MCV) back in the '70's. It was so funny (from the 30's I believe) that it was rapidly stolen - by others - from the library. I never should have told anyone about that book.

weary
01-04-2007, 00:49
Actually, it's called "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's now on its 2nd or third printing; there's also a hardbound edition that is beautifully illustrated. Intensely funny, like everything else he's written.
I found "A short history ...." both amusing and educational. I still think "A walk in the woods" is mildly amusing, but otherwise a piece of crap.

Weary