PDA

View Full Version : overnight trip with my 10 year old

GSCOTT
01-02-2007, 19:34
took an over night trip with my ten year old yesterday.
we only hiked 1.5 miles to campsite 1 in the gsmnp.
we both had a grand time and had some good food.
if you have never done this i would reccomend it to anybody,
kids need to know something besides tv and gameboy.

greg

copythat
01-02-2007, 19:41
if you have never done this i would recommend it to anybody,

greg

agreed. my three daughters (16, 13, 9) have each been overnight with me. very special time.

Gray Blazer
01-02-2007, 20:06
That is one of the best things you could do with your son (or any or all of your children). My son has not lived with me since he was 8 years old. One of the things he and I look forward to every summer is a camping trip together somewhere in the mountains on the AT and he is going to be 24 this year. It doesn't quite make up for all those years of separation but it's close.

gsingjane
01-02-2007, 20:15
My 3 younger kids (currently 14, 12 and 8) are my hiking partners... don't leave home without at least one of them. Our memories of the trail are among MY most treasured - I guess time will tell whether they will be for the kids as well, but I bless the day I first thought to start doing this with my kids. I take Girl Scouts out as well, but this is really some of the most special time I think I'll ever spend with my own.

Jane in CT

buckowens
01-02-2007, 21:33
As I have mentioned in previous posts, my 9 year old daughter and I leave on June 11th for Amicalola for a 2 week section hike. We have been hiking with loaded packs as much as we can over varying terrain. A few days ago we did just shy of 8 miles in a pretty tough area here in West Virginia. She whines less doing that with a 25 pound pack than most of my adult Army buddies would... She is hard headed and stays with it. I think she gets the hard headed thing from her mother...;)

It has been a great bonding experience and she is excited. She's even o.k. with doing her business in the woods! This is a big step for a 9 year old girl!

Enjoy that time as they grow up fast.

SteveJ
01-02-2007, 21:45
Great times! I'm taking my 3rd son - now 11 - on the Boy Scout Troop's annual trip to Shining Rock in 2 weekends. The other younger boys are staynig at Camp Daniel Boone, working on Scout skills. I asked him if he wanted to stay with his buddies.... He said, "Of course not, Dad! I want to hike up the mountain!" :D

Blissful
01-02-2007, 23:04

greg

Great!
We took our son about that age too on his first backpacking trip. Two miles flat trail in NH to Franconia falls. Spent two nights there, but he had a great time swimming and other stuff. Since then we have been slowly adding to his hiking experiences. Now he will thru hike with me this March. Time flies when you are having fun.

Paul Bunyan
01-02-2007, 23:12
Your telling me. ;-)

(I'm that son)

copythat
01-03-2007, 00:40
... my 9 year old daughter and I leave on June 11th for Amicalola for a 2 week section hike ... a few days ago we did just shy of 8 miles in a pretty tough area ... she whines less than most of my adult Army buddies would ... she is hard headed and stays with it. I think she gets the hard headed thing from her mother...;)

they always do. :eek:

(ouch!)

littlelaurel59
01-03-2007, 19:50

greg

I took my son on his first backpacking trip at age 8- out along Pine Mountain in the Mt Rogers NRA. GREAT memories. Over the years, we have worked our way up to long weekend trips- an easy 20 miles in the Smokies last summer. This year, we're planning a week somewhere on the AT. I have dreams of a week or more in Yosemite with him.

Hiking with your kids is fabulous. They won't remember what you got them for Christmas a year from now, but they will always remember hiking and camping with you.

brancher
01-04-2007, 08:51
.... and I thought I was the one who thought of taking the kid......My son, now eleven, goes with me at least once a year. I took him on his first trip to Crabtree Falls at age 8, and next weekend we're going to Raven Rock.

This trip is his first 'real' BP trip - the others were base camping and day hiking. So this time we're walking in a few miles, then setting up camp, and day-hiking the next day. He's responsible for handling his own stove, cooking, etc. We're both stoked.

(Can't wait 'til he can accompany me on a section in a few years...):banana

Namaste
01-04-2007, 11:15
I have 2 daughters (14 & 19) and they both started hiking with overnights by 7 yrs. old. We spend summers in Maine which is full of hiking trips along the AT and they love it.

cannonball
01-04-2007, 11:23
Theres nothing like sitting in the middle of the trail leaning on your packs as your boy and you eat lunch.:banana :banana :banana :banana

I took my boy on his first overnighter when he graduated from webelos into boy scouts.

Camp Daniel Boone has several AT treks as well as BM and bartman trail treks. Boys must be 13 years old to go.