PDA

View Full Version : Easy canister resupply - Which towns?

rafe
01-02-2007, 20:07
I'd like to hear from recent thru- or section-hikers who carried canister stoves or a JetBoil. Specifically, I'd like to compile a list of towns/ stores/ campgrounds (whatever) with easy access from the trail, at which canisters can be bought. The 2006 ALDHA guide lists places where white gas and/or alcohol can be found, but makes no specific mention of gas canisters.

I'm not looking to discuss the pros/cons of canister stoves. I just want real, hard data based on recent experience.

I'd also like to hear from those same folks, which and how many canisters they carried. One small? One large? Multiple small?

My specific and personal interest is the section of trail between Pearisburg and Lehigh Gap, but that's just me.

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 20:08
I believe you'll find extensive information of this sort in a full length article in the "Articles" section of WB.

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 20:09
I believe you'll find extensive information of this sort in a full length article in the "Articles" section of WB.

rafe
01-02-2007, 20:26

Thanks, Jack. I've looked at that FAQ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1) but the list seems a bit thin. For example I see no resupply for the 200 or so miles between Harpers Ferry and Port Clinton. Also, the "Williamstown" in the list must be in VA?? MD?? By its order in the list, it wouldn't be the one in MA...

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 20:41
Two possible solutions:

*Carry an extra cannister out of Harpers, or have one shipped to either
Boiling Springs or Duncannon which are both directly on the Trail.

*The Cabela's in Hamburg, close to Port Clinton, sells cannisters.

*After that, there's Delaware Water Gap; Stroudsburg PA; Pawling NY; Kent CT; Great Barrington MA; Williamstown MA, Manchester Center VT; Hanover NH; Lincoln NH; Pinkham Notch NH; Gorham NH. It's a little dicier in Maine; the prudent hiker might want to mail himself fuel there or be sure to carry extra. Anyway, that's off the top of my head very fast; there are probably some other places I'm forgetting.

Blissful
01-02-2007, 21:24
Two possible solutions:

*Carry an extra cannister out of Harpers, or have one shipped to either
Boiling Springs or Duncannon which are both directly on the Trail.

*The Cabela's in Hamburg, close to Port Clinton, sells cannisters.

*After that, there's Delaware Water Gap; Stroudsburg PA; Pawling NY; Kent CT; Great Barrington MA; Williamstown MA, Manchester Center VT; Hanover NH; Lincoln NH; Pinkham Notch NH; Gorham NH. It's a little dicier in Maine; the prudent hiker might want to mail himself fuel there or be sure to carry extra. Anyway, that's off the top of my head very fast; there are probably some other places I'm forgetting.

Jack, everyone's dying for that new resupply article of yours. Hint. Hint.
Thought I would mention it as it's 2007 as the weeks are starting to tick down, ha ha.

BTW - how do you mail a canister and be legal? Okay to send it parcel post or priority in the regular mail drop with other stuff?

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2007, 21:38
As far as I know, they can be shipped BY SURFACE MAIL either thru the USPS or by a private carrier such as UPS, FedEx. To be sure about USPS, ask your local postmaster. Most Post Offices have a handout they give out for free that provides detailed info on what can or cannot be mailed; how things should be packaged, labeled, etc. Or you can go to the main USPS website; it'll have all pertinent information, regulations, etc.

Funny you should mention the Re-Supply Article as I'm hoping to do some serious work on it TOMORROW in fact and will post it here ASAP. In the meantime, the 2006 Article is probably at least 95% Accurate; other than a few new hostels, etc., I haven't heard of too many changes. For example, of the 900-odd miles I covered this past year, there wasn't much that had changed as far as Re-Supply was concerned. So for those leaving real soon, the present Article should still be OK; updates will follow very soon.

Mags
01-02-2007, 22:18
As far as I know, they can be shipped BY SURFACE MAIL either thru the USPS or by a private carrier such as UPS, FedEx.

This very website has an excellent article on canisters, esp. on how to mail them:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8311

Also has where you can pick them up, too.

Lots of good data in the articles section!

fiddlehead
01-02-2007, 23:24
THere is a Williamstown, PA near the trail. From Dehart Dam (rt 325?) just head west and it's the next town, about 15 N (w) of that road crossing is a town called Tower City (or Sower Titty as it's locally called) , Williamstown is about 4 miles west of Tower City. (left)
It's not a big town and i don't know of anybody selling canisters there but i haven't been down there for about 2 years now.

I always have just shipped them when i was in doubt as to availability although 2002 is my most recent AT hike.

rafe
01-03-2007, 22:14
Would it be wrong to conclude... from the dearth of responses here... that canister stoves aren't really all that popular among thrus?

the_iceman
01-03-2007, 22:41
It could be that so many people carry them now that any REAL outfitter will have cansiters. Too bad you cannot recycle or refill them though.:(

the_iceman
01-04-2007, 07:43
Boston, I should have said recycle them easily on the trail. It would be nice if they were like deposit cans where the vendor would take them back when empty.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 07:46
[QUOTE=terrapin_too;296166... that canister stoves aren't really all that popular among thrus?[/QUOTE]

what's a thru?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 07:46
[QUOTE=terrapin_too;296166... that canister stoves aren't really all that popular among thrus?[/QUOTE]

what's a thru?

rafe
01-04-2007, 08:16
what's a thru?

In this context... anyone traveling far enough to have to buy a new stove canister once in a while.

fiddlehead
01-04-2007, 08:59
I have refilled mine but don't bother anymore as i bought a whole bunch of them at a great price once.
You need a special adaptor. Some on here will tell you it's unsafe. They also are the folks who use their emergency brake all the time, and their sternum strap (and of course water filters)
Anyway, i just crush mine with 2 rocks anymore when they are empty, build fires till i get to town where my next one is waiting in my drop box. have fun.
I went from GAZ bluet stoves to the screw on type simply because of availability in this country.
I don't see them going out of vogue or whatever you are trying to imply terrapin. Use whatever stove suits your fancy.
most importantly, have fun and don't sweat the small stuf..

rafe
01-04-2007, 09:10
I don't see them going out of vogue or whatever you are trying to imply terrapin. Use whatever stove suits your fancy.
most importantly, have fun and don't sweat the small stuf..

Out of vogue? No, I wasn't implying that at all. In vogue is more like it. Back in the day... long-distance hikers carried white-gas stoves, first Svea, then Whisperlites or Coleman Peak-1 variants. In the last 5-10 years (?) there's been a shift to lighter alternatives. Most of us dissed canister stoves as being for weekenders or newbs only.

All those years I was carrying either my Whisperlite or Zip stove, and never gave much thought to fuel resupply; it simply wasn't an issue on my section hikes. I'm strongly leaning toward a canister on next years's section, but I'm trying to get a handle on the fuel resupply issue. I was hoping to do it without mail drops.