PDA

View Full Version : BMT Work Trip January 8th

Ramble~On
01-03-2007, 00:51
Sunday January 7 there will be several of us heading out to spend the night near Farr Gap...food and drink will be had to celebrate the New Hiking and Camping year...All are welcome----look for the Pirate Flags!
If that's not your cup of tea....
Monday January 8th we'll meet at about 9am at Farr Gap to clear BMT section 18 (Stiffknee Trail) of the many blowdowns caused by the severe wind storms that moved through the area this past fall.
There will be quite a few of us so feel free to come out, help out or simply hang out. Trail work is hard work but that doesn't mean it can't be fun at the same time and this is a fun crew.
All are welcome.

We will go regardless of the weather.

Farr Gap is located on FS 59 behind Indian Boundary Lake just off the Cherohala Skyway and is within Cherokee Nat. Forest. The closest town is Tellico Plains, TN. The Stiffknee Trail lies almost entirely within the Joyce Kilmer/ Slickrock Creek Wilderness.

jlb2012
01-09-2007, 21:32
How did the trip go - more to do?

Tipi Walter
01-24-2007, 10:33
Hey, I thought I'd reply since I backpacked thru the group but I myself didn't do any real trailwork. There were around 8 people helping out along with Ken Jones of the BMTA and Creepy Uncle of Whiteblaze, etc.

I know Ken was going to return with a needed trailpost down on the Slickrock junction and as far as I know the two MASSIVE blowdowns at the end of Stiffknee are still there and will require some heavy cutting and wedging.

I camped at the Stiffknee/Slickrock junction and on the day of their departure it started snowing heavily so they got caught in it up on Doublecamp.

Now, when will I get to run into you?

jlb2012
01-24-2007, 11:51

I'll probably be cutting blowdown on Ike Branch sometime this spring when SGT Rock gets back. Possibly before if there is going to be another group work trip in the area.

The blowdowns on Stiffknee - how big are they in inches and number of cuts? I think I understood that they are near the junction of Stiffknee and Slickrock - is that within a tenth of a mile or so?

Tipi Walter
01-24-2007, 14:51
I'll probably be cutting blowdown on Ike Branch sometime this spring when SGT Rock gets back. Possibly before if there is going to be another group work trip in the area.

The blowdowns on Stiffknee - how big are they in inches and number of cuts? I think I understood that they are near the junction of Stiffknee and Slickrock - is that within a tenth of a mile or so?

They are right close to the junction and they are BIG! The first one(coming up)is about as big as a tree can get. 3 feet? 4 feet? And there's really no way around it, just under. It's more of a challenge cuz the thing is suspended over a creek bank. The second one is up further(3 crossings on Stiffknee trail)and when I left SpiritWind and Creepy Uncle they were busy clearing around it but not actually cutting it. It is easier to hike around, though.

Ramble~On
01-25-2007, 00:46
The trip went well and many blowdowns were cleared but those on the bottom nearer Slickrock Creek remain. Creepy Uncle and I cleared most of the one we were working on that Tipi mentioned....It's easily passable.
The snow that moved in caused us to leave earlier than planned on Tuesday.

I returned a week later and worked with Ken Jones to repair the 8 foot deep and nearly 15 foot across hole left in the trail by an uprooted tree.

I plan to clear the rest of the blowdowns on lower Stiffknee the 28th-30th.
I'm not sure if the sign needed at the BMT junction of Stiffknee and Slickrock Creek can be placed during this trip but it's on the priority list.
Time permitting I hope to take a look at the pines down on Fodderstack.

jlb2012
01-25-2007, 08:52
28th - 30th - dang already have commitments and can't make it to help - wish I had known earlier but it still might not have worked out for me - oh well 876 more days till I retire and then ...

Ramble~On
01-25-2007, 23:29
Retire ? What's that ?

There will be plenty of trips in the future...

Max Power
01-26-2007, 12:47
There will be BMT work April 16 and 17 as part of the Hiyak Festival at Fontana Village. On the 16 we will take a boat and ht all of the Lake Shore Campsites for clean up. On the 17 the Tapoco Section will be worked on.
You can check out the tentative schedule at http//:www.myspace.com/hiyakfestival

Ramble~On
01-27-2007, 04:27
There will be BMT work April 16 and 17 as part of the Hiyak Festival at Fontana Village. On the 16 we will take a boat and ht all of the Lake Shore Campsites for clean up. On the 17 the Tapoco Section will be worked on.
You can check out the tentative schedule at http//:www.myspace.com/hiyakfestival (http://www.myspace.com/hiyakfestival)

Count me in.

generoll
01-27-2007, 11:19
Hello Max. Is anyone keeping or could they keep a list of potential volunteers? I'd like to try and make the April trip if I can get away. I just need to be reminded.

Max Power
01-27-2007, 13:22
If anyone is interested in helping please e-mail me [email protected]. We also have work to be done as part of this festival April 12 and 13 with the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club. I will make a list so e-mail me your name, number, e-mail, and trip you want to help with.

Ramble~On
03-13-2007, 16:24
Hey, I thought I'd reply since I backpacked thru the group but I myself didn't do any real trailwork. There were around 8 people helping out along with Ken Jones of the BMTA and Creepy Uncle of Whiteblaze, etc.

I know Ken was going to return with a needed trailpost down on the Slickrock junction and as far as I know the two MASSIVE blowdowns at the end of Stiffknee are still there and will require some heavy cutting and wedging.

I camped at the Stiffknee/Slickrock junction and on the day of their departure it started snowing heavily so they got caught in it up on Doublecamp.

Many trips later....and much Thanks to all who helped out.
The large uproot on upper Stiffknee is repaired, all blowdowns...every single one of them has been cleared..including "The big one" and the sign has been placed at the junction of Slickrock Creek and Stiffknee. The area around this junction has been brushed out and the sign is now clearly visible at the junction. All of blowdowns up on Fodderstack between Big Stack and Farr Gap have been cleared with the exception of a "step over" or two.