PDA

View Full Version : The Best View in TN/NC

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:07
I'm always looking for the best view on the AT (in the south as I live in FL and it's harder to get up to the northern appalachians). I love being able to trace the AT route along the ridges and mountaintops. It doesn't always have to be on the AT. My question to you is....what are some of your favorite viewing places near NC? It doesn't have to be a place to hike to see the view, ie, Mt. Mitchell has a great view. I do enjoy some of the more harder to get to places such as Big Bald. Where is your favorite place to view the sunrise/sunset? Is there a view on Waterrock Knob on the Parkway as it seems you can see that mountain from about everywhere in WNC? Some of my favorite camera stops are Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald, Camp Creek Bald, Big Bald, Round Bald and Grassy Ridge. Any of you locals have some secret places you're not divulging?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 14:08
Cheoah Bald is on of my favorites.

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:21
Cheoah Bald is on of my favorites.That's a good day hike from Stecoah Gap. How is the view from White Top over near you? I believe I've seen all the way to White Top from Round Bald and Big Hump. Are there any good views in Southern VA back towards NC? I know you can't see anything but trees (summertime) from Mt. Rogers.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 14:23
Whitetop is great. You can drive to the top. Great camping next to the spring.

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:24
Whitetop is great. You can drive to the top. Great camping next to the spring.I'm there. See ya next summer.

Sly
01-03-2007, 14:25
Since there's relatively few, on the AT atleast, I don't think there's any secret spots. Add Max Patch and the bald above Winding Stair Gap. (? I forget)

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 14:27
Since there's relatively few, on the AT atleast, I don't think there's any secret spots. Add Max Patch and the bald above Winding Stair Gap. (? I forget)

Silers Bald.

Tipi Walter
01-03-2007, 14:28
Yeah, Cheoah is nice, especially the back side at a rock overlook. My current personal favorite is the Hangover in Slickrock Wilderness. You climb up to about 5,000 feet and leave the forest and enter a heath tunnel where the trail is sort of a ditch. The heath is high and completely blocks out any view and then WHAM you're on the high rocks at a deadend with a 360 view. The very first time I did it I actually got dizzy and had to sit down, but there's a good view of the Smokies and Gregory Bald, Tellico Lake and the TN valley, Robbinsville NC and the line of the AT running from Fontana south all the way to Wesser and beyond.

But y'know, the old crystal-clear views of yesteryear have been replaced with the brown and hazy grey smog of pollution. The usual distance in the Smokies now is between 15 and 30 miles. We had a hurricane blow thru recently and a Ranger in the Smokies said right after it the views opened up to 200 miles! Cleaned the air, I guess.

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:30
Since there's relatively few, on the AT atleast, I don't think there's any secret spots. Add Max Patch and the bald above Winding Stair Gap. (? I forget)North or South of Winding Stair? I'm guessing South. A few miles north is Siler Bald...an absolutely great place to camp and avoid the shelter. Can't beat Max Patch for great viewing.

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:36
Thanks Tipi, that's what I'm talkin' about! I gotta check it out. Some of the best views can be had right after a cold front blows through. Those kinds of views are what I live for. My son gave me the trail name "Viewmaster" cuz I'm always trying to get those great pics (although I prefer not to have the word master in my trail name).

Bloodroot
01-03-2007, 14:41
Wayah Bald lookout was my favorite for getting pics

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 14:41
You guys gotta get some pics in your galleries. Sly, Mt Whitney isn't on the AT.:D LW, what happened to your pics?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 14:42
You guys gotta get some pics in your galleries. Sly, Mt Whitney isn't on the AT.:D LW, what happened to your pics?

pics? i don't have any pics.

shades of blue
01-03-2007, 14:56
Wesser Bald is one of my favorite...of course there are the views on Wilburn Ridge in the Greyson Highlands on the AT. Wesser Bald is just South of the NOC in NC. Wilburn Ridge is North of Damascus in VA.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10752&c=665&userid=1498
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4959&c=665&userid=1498
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=4610&c=665&userid=1498

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 15:02
Shades...nice pics. There's Waterrock knob again in the Wesser pic. Does anybody know if there is a view from the top of Waterrock?

Tabasco
01-03-2007, 15:09
Cheoah, Sept 11, 2003 fogged in
Max Patch Sept 2, 2006 fogged in
White Top Dec 31, 2006 fogged in (the 60-70 mph winds were a plus too)

Wilburn Ridge Dec 30, 2006 AMAZING views

Gray Blazer
01-03-2007, 15:19
Cheoah, Sept 11, 2003 fogged in
Max Patch Sept 2, 2006 fogged in
White Top Dec 31, 2006 fogged in (the 60-70 mph winds were a plus too)
I hate it when that happens. Keep 'em coming. I'll check back tomorrow. Some of ya'll need to put some pics in your gallery. LW, I could swear you had some pics in your gallery. Maybe that's because about everyone else has a pic of you in theirs. SOFN

soad
01-03-2007, 16:31
Try the "Jumpoff" it's off the Boulvard Trail not even a mile from the AT in the Smokies. Great view of the main Smoky Ridge. Also the sawteeth, just north of Charies Bunion is wonderful.

The top of Mt. Pisgah has great views if you can ignore the huge radio tower.

Of course don't forget Mt. Carammer tower, great 360 degree views.

stumpknocker
01-03-2007, 16:47
I like the area around Grassy Ridge north to the Humps. You don't get views all the time, but you get good ones when you do. :)

Grassy Ridge is just a short walk off the AT, but well worth the effort.

GSCOTT
01-03-2007, 18:52
went to mt sterling fire tower today and it has some nice views:sun
shuckstack is nice as well

here is a pic i snapped from Mt Sterling fire tower
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/diggsms/DSC01340.jpg?t=1167864690

strnorm
01-03-2007, 19:30
Beauty spot, carvers gap, and grandfather mt.

Sly
01-03-2007, 19:34

I know but I didn't carry a camera on the AT. :o If you want views, the western trails are where they're at! ;)

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2007, 19:38
Anywhere up in the Roan Highlands north of Carver's Gap; also, looking down the valley from Overmountain Shelter. Also early morning on Standing Indian Mt. is right up there as well. For sunset, Max Patch. And as others said, Siler's Bald.

springerfever
01-03-2007, 20:55
Mt. Cammerer after recent snowfall..............

bigcranky
01-03-2007, 21:07
Big Hump, Round Bald, and the back side of Roan are great. I loved Wayah Bald, because we spent all %&* day climbing it southbound, and had dinner at the top on the first perfect blue sky evening of that section. I've been on Albert Mountain and Standing Indian twice and they were both socked in. Big Bald has a special place in my memory, because that was the last section I did with my former (late) hiking partner. I have a great photo of him on the top.

Hmm, basically you can't go wrong on any of the NC balds.

rockrat
01-03-2007, 21:15
Its not on the AT but Hangover Lead near Tellico is my favorite overlook period.

ed bell
01-03-2007, 21:32
Tennent Mountain, 6040' has got a great 360 degree view. It's on the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah National Forest, near Blue Ridge Parkway mile 420.

RAT
01-03-2007, 21:35
I have had so many awesome views in the TN/NC portions of the AT in my many years of hiking that there is no way to call one the best. The ones already mentioned are all good ones. To me any view from the AT is a good one :)

RAT

ed bell
01-03-2007, 21:36
As far as driving goes, Craggy Pinnacle, 5,892', off the Blue Ridge Parkway is one awsome 360 view. Website is a bit cheesy, but here is a photo sample:http://www.romanticasheville.com/Craggy.htm

Lugnut
01-03-2007, 23:52
Wilburn Ridge! Well, it's almost TN.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2007, 00:19
Wilburn Ridge! Well, it's almost TN.

I guess my favorite place of all is Wilburn Ridge in Grayson Highlands. Now if they would just close the danged road up to it!

rafe
01-04-2007, 00:22
Mt. Cammerer after recent snowfall..............

Beautiful!

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 08:40
Thanks everyone, I got some new ideas as well some good memories of other great spots. I'm checking out all your galleries. I keep going to Big Bald and camping overnite to get the sunrise and everytime it's been socked in. I'll definitely be checking out some of these places you mentioned. Springer, that's a fantastic shot from Cammerrer. I believe those are the Blacks in the background. You can't beat a sunset over the Smokies from Max Patch.

tiamalle
01-04-2007, 09:41
pics? i don't have any pics.I can't find that limo pic of you at the Sapphire

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 09:46
I guess my favorite place of all is Wilburn Ridge in Grayson Highlands. Now if they would just close the danged road up to it!

Wilburn Ridge is in Mt. Rogers Nat. Rec. Area and there's no road to it.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2007, 10:29
Wilburn Ridge is in Mt. Rogers Nat. Rec. Area and there's no road to it.

Actually, there are two roads that pull up right close to Wilburn Ridge: The first leaves Hiway 58 and enters Grayson Highlands State Park and passes a government toll booth and ends in a big parking lot at Massie Gap. I would guess this lot puts someone about a quarter of a mile from the pink granite rocks of Wilburn Ridge. This single road is responsible for the glut of tourists that swarm thru the park most of the year. The second is a side road off the Massie Gap road that goes northeast to a deadend KOA style RV campground right next to and slightly below Wilburn Ridge.

There is also another big lot designated for Overnight Parking and is right near the top by Massie Gap. Like at Mt Washington in New Hampshire, the automobile has once again defiled a once pristine and inspiring wilderness. But even with the wheeled weenies around, Wilburn Ridge is still magical.

SteveJ
01-04-2007, 17:36
Tennent Mountain, 6040' has got a great 360 degree view. It's on the Art Loeb Trail in Pisgah National Forest, near Blue Ridge Parkway mile 420.

I agree! One of my favorite hikes... I also like the view from one of the balds on the north side of Shining Rock, facing Cold Mtn....beautiful sunsets and sunrises reflecting off Cold Mtn....

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 19:34
You guys gotta cut it out! I love Mt. Sterling. I hope that tower doesn't fall down! That's another place I kill myself to get to and it's socked in!

ed bell
01-04-2007, 20:14
I agree! One of my favorite hikes... I also like the view from one of the balds on the north side of Shining Rock, facing Cold Mtn....beautiful sunsets and sunrises reflecting off Cold Mtn....Nice pics SteveJ. Great thing about Tennant Mountain is the sweeping 360 view of the GA mountains, SC mountains, Kilmer/Slickrock Area, Smokys, Roan Highlands, Black Mountains and the rest of the NC mountains. It feels like you are at the center of it all.:sun

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 20:22
Nice pics SteveJ. Great thing about Tennant Mountain is the sweeping 360 view of the GA mountains, SC mountains, Kilmer/Slickrock Area, Smokys, Roan Highlands, Black Mountains and the rest of the NC mountains. It feels like you are at the center of it all.:sunYou guys are killing me. I hope to go to all of these places some time.

LeeF
01-04-2007, 21:52
While you've got your boots on Mount LeConte has some great views. On the east side there's no hint of civilization.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 22:09
While you've got your boots on Mount LeConte has some great views. On the east side there's no hint of civilization.Excellent. That's one of the 1st places I remember my family hiking. I was lucky to get a good view of Clingman's from there.

Ramble~On
07-08-2007, 05:35
Well, I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm happy I found it and figured I'd add to it and keep it going a while (I hope)
Here's 10 that come to mind in no particular order

1. Mt. Cammerer GSMNP
2. Mt. LeConte (Myrtle Point sunset) GSMNP
3. Max Patch - AT sunrise/sunset
4. Shining Rock - Shining Rock Wilderness
5. Hangover - Slickrock Creek Wilderness
6. Water Rock Knob - Blue Ridge Parkway
7. Black Balsam Knob/ Tennent - Art Loeb Trail - Pisgah NF
8. Grandfather Mountain
9. Charlie's Bunion GSMNP
10. Hooper Bald - Cherohala Skyway

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 10:22
Two come to mind almost immediately:

1. Looking Glass Rock
2. Devil's Courthouse

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 11:11
Two come to mind almost immediately:

1. Looking Glass Rock
2. Devil's Courthouse

From atop Devil's courthouse you can see into 4 states- TN, NC, GA, and SC. The hike is short and steep.

Looking Glass is my favorite hike of all time. It's 3 miles, practically straight up, and I remember wanting to cry the first time I hiked it because every time I thought we had reached the top, it was just a tease- a helipad, and then another lookout that wasn't the top. But once on top, the view was phenomenal. Unrivaled by any other view I've seen in the 8+ years I've been hiking.

modiyooch
07-08-2007, 17:51
Roan Mt Gardens and overlooks. The AT climbs Roan, but doesn't go to the gardens.

Are you just looking for sunsets and sunrises and views? NC hosts some very beautiful waterfalls. (Brevard, NC for starters)

They say you can view 7 states from Lookout MT in TN.

ed bell
07-08-2007, 18:27
Well, if this thread is gonna continue.... Sam's Knob, SW of Black Balsam Knob, is very nice. My other favorite is a secret.:-? I will say that it's within 5 miles of Sam's Knob. If you know the area, PM me and I'll let the cat out of the bag.
:sun

Cookerhiker
07-08-2007, 19:00
My favorites were Cheoah, Wesser, Max Patch, Beauty Spot, and Big Bald.

Chaco Taco
07-08-2007, 21:26
Leconte is awesome. The Boulevard trail is one of the most amazing hikes.

TIDE-HSV
07-08-2007, 21:40
it was just a tease- a helipad, and then another lookout that wasn't the top.

I remember that, and when I finally topped out and decided to have lunch, I felt like I had to back up to the brush line to feel safe, only to have rock climber come up from below. And, Lowspark, the Boulevard can be striking, but I've hiked it once in a severe thunderstorm. I'm still surprised to be alive when I think about it...

Chaco Taco
07-08-2007, 21:50
I remember that, and when I finally topped out and decided to have lunch, I felt like I had to back up to the brush line to feel safe, only to have rock climber come up from below. And, Lowspark, the Boulevard can be striking, but I've hiked it once in a severe thunderstorm. I'm still surprised to be alive when I think about it...
Wow, that would suck. I hiked it when it had ice and there were a couple of times that I was really scared as I dug my fingernails into the ice

TIDE-HSV
07-08-2007, 21:55
That icy spot as you start up the back side can be a problem in winter and spring. Every time I go back, they have placed more cable on both Boulevard and Alum Cave. When I think about it, I've traversed the Boulevard twice in lightning. One was worse than the other. Having a lightning storm blow in on Krewzer and me at Wesser Bald under the old fire tower at 5:00 AM was no joy ride, either. Long way down, with Mother Nature playing bowling alley and you're the pin...

Ramble~On
07-09-2007, 16:25
Well, if this thread is gonna continue.... Sam's Knob, SW of Black Balsam Knob, is very nice. My other favorite is a secret.:-? I will say that it's within 5 miles of Sam's Knob. If you know the area, PM me and I'll let the cat out of the bag.
:sun

Richland Balsam ? I guess that's 5 miles as the crow flies...though it could be from atop Mt. Hardy too...hmmmm. okay...here comes the pm

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2007, 16:45
Favorite view in North Carolina:

Looking down the valley at dusk from Overmountain Shelter.

Favorite view in Tennessee:

Walking up the driveway of Kincora Hostel and seeing Bob and Pat Peoples on the porch!

Brushy Sage
07-14-2007, 11:38
Yesterday while my Carolina Mtn. Club trail crew was working on relocating the trail across Big Bald Mtn, three men showed up who had hiked from Sams Gap to see the view from the mountain. The weather was not all that good; still even the view of approaching rain was impressive. When they got ready to return to Sams Gap, they didn't know which way to go. Somehow they were disoriented. We steered them in the direction they needed to go. Otherwise, they were ready to head off northerly toward Spivey Gap, which would have resulted in considerable surprise. Then, as the weather cleared some, with clouds hovering in the valleys between the mountains, we had a fantastic 360-degree view.

billy231
07-16-2007, 21:43
Cheoah Bald - take enough water to camp at the top overnight!

Tennessee Viking
07-16-2007, 22:25
Mine is Beauty Spot, all of Roan and the Humps, Max Patch

The MST also has some great views of the Blue Ridge.

kyhiker1
07-17-2007, 00:27
My favorites are Max Patch,Charlies Bunion,Mt.Cammerer.:sun

sherrill
07-17-2007, 09:45
Shortoff Mtn. in Linville Gorge. About the closest thing these days to true wilderness left in NC.

Jan LiteShoe
07-17-2007, 10:29
Favorite view in North Carolina:

Looking down the valley at dusk from Overmountain Shelter.

Favorite view in Tennessee:

Walking up the driveway of Kincora Hostel and seeing Bob and Pat Peoples on the porch!

Hard to beat those two!

Also, Grassy Ridge, for those who miss the turnoff in the Humps.
;)

7Sisters
07-17-2007, 20:40
I'll throw out three of my favorites:

1 Little Hump / Big Hump
2 Charlies Bunion
3 Max Patch

All three are just incredible experiences. I can close my eyes while I'm in the office and still see the views from those mtns.

Lightning Rod_2007
07-17-2007, 21:10
1. Max Patch

2. Beauty Spot

Camped on top of both this year...very cool.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16819&catid=member&imageuser=12772

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16816&catid=member&imageuser=12772

Jim Adams
07-17-2007, 22:18
Really like the Humps, Round, Max Patch and the view from Overmountain down the valley, Charlies, ect. but although you don't necessarily see real far, the view ahead and back as you hike north over Rocky Top just blows me away....don't know why, but both times I've been there I had to stop and ponder for awhile.

geek

ed bell
07-17-2007, 23:38
Positive hiking vibes are strong in this thread. Thanks to this site.:sun Great suggestions in here.

Gray Blazer
07-18-2007, 19:15
Hey guys, back online for a day. Since this thread started in Jan, I've been to the top of Water Rock Knob and that is just gotta be one of the most impressive views....all of the Nantahalas, almost all of the Smokies and a panoramic view of at least 100 miles of the AT. Last week I got some good shots from Clingman's, Snowbird and got some good pics on Big Bald (finally!) and drove up to the tower on Rich Mountain. I also camped on Snowbird and got some great pics of Sterling to Cammerrer. I found out from the maintainance man that the equipment on Snowbird is just backup now because of GPS. My AT NC/TN potfolio is about complete so I'm ready to crank out some AT art. I'll post some new pics in my gallery when I get back to work in Aug. Peace and Love. JJ