PDA

View Full Version : NOBO 2007 Sightings

Pages : [1] 2

Mother Nature
01-03-2007, 15:42
Stumpknocker and I were out dayhiking near Unicoi Gap today and ran across what seems to be the first NOBO of the 2007 hiking season.

The young man goes by the trail name of Ghost. He told us that when passed through Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings he was informed that he was the first of the class of 2007 to go through.

There may be debate :-? ... hmmmm.... not with this group surely... whether you want to call him the first 2007 or the last 2006 as he left Springer on December 28.

Mother Nature :sun

Sly
01-03-2007, 15:46
Yeah, debatable... Ghost is a sandbagging cheater!!! :D I met 4 last weekend at the Black Mountain (Approach Trail) and Springer Shelters that were staring on the 1st.

Mother Nature
01-03-2007, 15:50
Stumpy remembered those four as well but this I guess is the first to have passed through the store at Mountain Crossings.

It was a great day in the mountains today!!!

MN

Sly
01-03-2007, 15:55
LOL... maybe Ghost wanted to avoid the crowds and started early! ;)

K-Man
01-03-2007, 16:07
March 19th seems like forever away...especially knowing that people are starting already and there is no snow down south. It's going to be a long 73 days 21 hrs and 22 min.

jlb2012
01-03-2007, 16:08
I talked a bit with Ghost at Springer Shelter - seems to be pushing hard so as to finish the trail in time for a wedding. I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter. I consider him to be the last of the 2006 class.

Sly
01-03-2007, 16:16
I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter.

Me neither! Slob hiker. :mad:

stumpknocker
01-03-2007, 18:31
I talked a bit with Ghost at Springer Shelter - seems to be pushing hard so as to finish the trail in time for a wedding. I was not impressed with his approach to trash disposal - MRE crap tossed in front of the shelter and other MRE crap left in the shelter. I consider him to be the last of the 2006 class.

Ghost doesn't have to push too hard...he has 6 1/2 months before his fiancee wants him done. :)

HOI....are you sure the trash was his???

Mother Nature.....it was indeed a beautiful day for a walk....thanks!! :)

jlb2012
01-03-2007, 20:09
I am sure the trash in front of the shelter was his - he mentioned it in passing - I probably should have jumped on his case but ... I didn't - I was expecting to have a fire later and the MRE stuff can be burnt. WRT the stuff up stairs in the shelter - not known if that was his or not.

Did they ever get a fire going NYE - when I left at 11 AM NYE having given up on the idea as a lost cause (wet bag etc.) it did not look like the rain was going to stop long enough to get the fire going.

stumpknocker
01-03-2007, 20:45
Did they ever get a fire going NYE - when I left at 11 AM NYE having given up on the idea as a lost cause (wet bag etc.) it did not look like the rain was going to stop long enough to get the fire going.

There were fire builders at work and they were well on their way to having a small fire going. It was raining hard, so I went and set up my tent about 8 or 9pm and ended up staying in my bag the rest of the night. :)

Too bad I mssed you. Ended up being about 30 people up there, but not many standing in the rain.

jlb2012
01-04-2007, 08:46
yeah it would have been good to see you again stumpknocker - would have been the third year in a row - oh well

Paul Bunyan
01-04-2007, 09:18
Wow, they really have people starting that early. Jeez.....

tiamalle
01-04-2007, 20:48
Wow, they really have people starting that early. Jeez.....I had 2 northbounders checked in with us last night in Franklin.It was Flying Monkey and Donner.

Blissful
01-04-2007, 21:12
I had 2 northbounders checked in with us last night in Franklin.It was Flying Monkey and Donner.

Lucky guys. Weather's been great though, all Dec and Jan. Suppose to be 70 on Saturday. Sure hope it holds for March.

We'll see you probably around March 10 give or take, tiamalle. We plan to stay there - Blissful, Paul Bunyan and Skipper.

stumpknocker
01-06-2007, 20:35
Another nobo sighting. Hikernutt is thru hiking this year. I ran into her husband, Tim, today south of Woody Gap.

The three of us ended up eating at The Cookie Jar in Blairsville. :)

They are spending a night at my place. Hikernutt will continue north tomorrow and her husband is going home to work on keeping her credit card paid off. :)

Good luck Hikernutt!!!!

Frog
01-07-2007, 08:33
Ran into Flying monkey on new years eve. Hes not a thru hiker just like me a section hiker. Only out for 30 days/

stumpknocker
01-07-2007, 08:41
Ran into Flying monkey on new years eve. Hes not a thru hiker just like me a section hiker. Only out for 30 days/

ONLY out for 30 days??????????.................that's a good walk!!!!!!!! :)

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 09:27

everybody that leaves springer is just a section hiker. if and when they get to katahdin they become a through hiker because they're all through with hiking.:)

saimyoji
01-07-2007, 09:35
everybody that leaves springer is just a section hiker. if and when they get to katahdin they become a through hiker because they're all through with hiking.:)

If you have to be through with hiking to be one, I don't ever wanna be a through hiker.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2007, 09:38
If you have to be through with hiking to be one, I don't ever wanna be a through hiker.

all through hiking for that season, generally.

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 11:25
I was up at Unicoi Gap here in Georgia this morning to see what help I could offer Five Leaf Clover. I ran into her a few times on the Trail last year and at the SoRuck and she looks GREAT!!! Congratulations to you, Marta, on finishing your sobo thru hike!!! :)

Profile drove up and Bluevist '02 got out. She's walking north again this year.

It was 21 degrees, but felt mild because of no wind.

I'm back home now and it's snowing lightly. :)

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2007, 12:05
I was up at Unicoi Gap here in Georgia this morning to see what help I could offer Five Leaf Clover. I ran into her a few times on the Trail last year and at the SoRuck and she looks GREAT!!! Congratulations to you, Marta, on finishing your sobo thru hike!!! :)

Profile drove up and Bluevist '02 got out. She's walking north again this year.

It was 21 degrees, but felt mild because of no wind.

I'm back home now and it's snowing lightly. :)

Bluevist is back onthe trail. Good for her. Think I'll go check and see if she is keeping a journal again.

Sly
01-09-2007, 12:37
Stumpknocker, when do you think Marta will finish?

stumpknocker
01-09-2007, 12:38
Stumpknocker, when do you think Marta will finish?

She said she'd be done Thursday and was planning on attending the SoRuck.

It's snowing!!!!! :)

Sly
01-09-2007, 12:49
She said she'd be done Thursday and was planning on attending the SoRuck.

It's snowing!!!!! :)

Great......

Max Power
01-11-2007, 16:58
Ghost just got shuttled to the Hilton. He's the first we've had here at Fontana.

grizzlyadam
01-12-2007, 01:09
i ran into a kid by the name of daniel on monday afternoon at the springer mountain shelter. he'd just finished the approach trail and decided he was carrying entirely too much "stuff."

i helped him go through his pack and lighten his load and took a few things (about 20-25 pounds worth) to neels gap for him. hopefully, his first few days on the trail will be a little more enjoyable....

hikernutt
01-12-2007, 13:23
I made it into Hiawassee 11 Jan,. Went into the Holiday Inn. Meet Santa Helper, and Blue Vista there. Meet two SOBO Mark and Twain at Tray Mt Shelter on the 10th Jan. Oh, I almost forgot about the East Bounder, that I awoke from his nap with my whistle. Boy did he ever get some younder …
He was a bear that was asleep, in some brush by the trail…:banana

G.H.O.S.T.
01-14-2007, 18:04
Just got in to gatlinburg for the evening. Wanted to clarify that the MRE trash at springer was there when I got in. Although I didn't hike it out, it wasn't mine. Never have used MRE's never plan on it. I carried all my trash to Neels gap where it went in the trash can.

Fly By Mike
01-15-2007, 18:40
Mr Happy started today from Springer. His friends who went to see him off said he was the eleventh one register starting a thru so far. He's pleased to know there are people ahead of him to break trail when it eventually snows. Last night he stayed at the Hiker Hostel and received inspiration from none other than Minnesota Smith.

Marta
01-15-2007, 19:23
When I got to Springer Thursday afternoon, two NOBOs showed up. We snapped each others' pictures. I didn't get their names, but they are from the Rangeley, Maine, area.

jlb2012
01-16-2007, 09:03
Just got in to gatlinburg for the evening. Wanted to clarify that the MRE trash at springer was there when I got in. Although I didn't hike it out, it wasn't mine. Never have used MRE's never plan on it. I carried all my trash to Neels gap where it went in the trash can.

Sorry for misunderstanding the situation GHOST - my apologies.

DawnTreader
01-16-2007, 12:08
I am sure the trash in front of the shelter was his - he mentioned it in passing - I probably should have jumped on his case but ... I didn't - I was expecting to have a fire later and the MRE stuff can be burnt. WRT the stuff up stairs in the shelter - not known if that was his or not.

Did they ever get a fire going NYE - when I left at 11 AM NYE having given up on the idea as a lost cause (wet bag etc.) it did not look like the rain was going to stop long enough to get the fire going.---HOI

Is it cool to call people out on trash disposal techniques online? Especially when the person isn't here to defend himself?

jlb2012
01-16-2007, 13:15
Is it cool to call people out on trash disposal techniques online? Especially when the person isn't here to defend himself?

Cool??? no. Necessary to set an example of what NOT to do - yes.

I apologize to GHOST for what appears to be a misunderstanding of what he said.

Should you wish to beat me up about it - go ahead - that is what the ignore button is for.

Fly By Mike
01-16-2007, 20:31
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
Henry David Thoreau

zerohiker
01-18-2007, 18:03
Im a Nobo that started on the 14th of Jan. Spent two nights with Mr happy @ Hawk Mt on the 15th and Gooch mountain on the 16th.

Marta
01-18-2007, 18:08
Good luck, Zerohiker!

G.H.O.S.T.
01-19-2007, 12:22
No hard feelings Hog on Ice. Just leaving Hot Spring this afternoon, hope to be in Erwin by Monday.

Fly By Mike
01-19-2007, 19:44
Mr Happy took his first zero day at Neels Gap yesterday. Today he's planning his first 20 mile day and hopes to make it to Unicoi Gap. He says to say hi to Zero. I'm his Dad and his journal writer.

Fannypack
01-19-2007, 21:53
Mr Happy took his first zero day at Neels Gap yesterday. Today he's planning his first 20 mile day and hopes to make it to Unicoi Gap. He says to say hi to Zero. I'm his Dad and his journal writer.pls give us a link to Mr Happy's journal?

Fly By Mike
01-20-2007, 03:13
pls give us a link to Mr Happy's journal?

2000miler.net

MrHappy
01-20-2007, 09:12
Mr. Happy here... Stopped into Helen for the night (hitching from Unicoi to Hiawassee proved more difficult than I thought, especially at 8PM).

Zero, where are ya buddy? I took a zero day at Neels gap to recover from my 16 mile day but you didn't catch up. It was pretty nasty icy, did you hole up at the shelter or go into Suches?

May take another zeroday today after 20 miles yesterday. Lost the pages of my ALDHA companion on in the dark on Blue Mountain -- any idea's on what to do folks?

My Journal (http://2000miler.net)

MrHappy
01-20-2007, 09:13
Oh yeah -- how far ahead of me is Hikernutt? Think I could catch up?

Marta
01-20-2007, 09:27
I think HikerNutt is back at home for a few weeks. She's planning to pick up in March.

Rule of thumb--if you can't catch someone ahead of you, you can always wait for someone to catch you.

Good luck!

MrHappy
01-20-2007, 09:50
Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one deterred by the cold lonely nights. I'm thinking about taking a break too.

jlb2012
01-20-2007, 09:53
I think Hikernutt is hiking weekends until March.

MrHappy
01-20-2007, 21:09
If there is anybody else out there ahead of me who wouldn't mind slowing down a bit, I really would love the company. I know we're supposed to hike our own hikes, but this time of year I see it not as slowing down (or speeding up) to be with a specific person or group but just to not be alone.

If there's anybody behind me, I'd be happy to slow down a bit when I get to a cheaper town (Franklin?)

I'll be at the shelter between Unicoi and Dick's Creek Gaps tomorrow night, and then Hiawassee monday night, taking it easy so I won't need more zero days.

Fannypack
01-21-2007, 08:20
Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one deterred by the cold lonely nights. I'm thinking about taking a break too.what is your reason for starting so early? Do u have a deadline?

Cold nites in GA are common,. In March of 96 it was very cold allot and it hadn't have been for the fact that I had plenty of company, I am sure i would have felt much the same way u do.

What did u expect of the weather in GA in Jan? (& what have u prepared for).. "Most" hikers who start in Jan have money to be able to stay extra nites in motels because of cold or other nasty trail conditions.

Suggestion: maybe u should stop in Hiawassee & re-examine your motives & your prepareness for this hike. Talking to your family may help u to do this.

Good luck and I hope u make a decision that u are happy with but remember the trail will be there.

Fannypack
01-21-2007, 08:45
I just realized that Mr Happy may not get my msg above until Monday so I was thinking maybe some WBer in the Hiawassee area maybe dayhiking today & could give Mr Happy some encouragement or suggestions about his current situation.

Also i just noticed that the weather for Hiawassee today, http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/local/USGA0270?from=search_city, will be miserable.

Have a great day in GA. See ya on the trail.

MrHappy
01-21-2007, 10:50
Well, I'm so desperate for company that I'm checking my e-mail again before I check out. I would be thrilled if a day hiker came to keep me company. I'm not going far today -- only 6 miles to the shelter.

I am prepared for the cold in terms of gear, but I wasn't mentally prepared for night after night of it. I am defenitely questioning my motives and talking to my family a lot. Going home now would cost me upwards of $300, not to mention the cost of getting back to the trail (I'd probably come back in February) but spending so much money might mean not being able to make it all the way when I come back, so for now I'm just going to keep going.

"The trail will be there" is the best words of encouragement I've heard so far. Thank you. I've spent two nights in a motel but I really can't afford much more. Thanks for the support and advice everybody!

Hangman
01-21-2007, 13:17
Hang in there Mrhappy you have already done more than most people just by being out there. your learning important hiking skills right now. you'll know what works for you and want doesn't. process everything with help from family and people on the site hear. your young and have courage just by being in a cold shelter by your self not many your age can say that. We are all behind you on what ever you decide!!:)

galaleemc
01-21-2007, 15:43
Call us!!

706 896 8959

galaleemc
01-21-2007, 15:48
MrHappy

Was picked up and taken to Mountain Crossings. Winton said he was upstairs watch TV.

otis1912
01-21-2007, 15:55
just got back from a weekend overnight trip and ran into a thru hiker at neels gap. Zero is held up due to weather and is planning to push out tomorrow. he said there are about 12 thru hikers ahead of him. My small group camped on top of Cowrock Mt. and we spotted another NOBO which we named snowshoe (he had snow shoes strapped to his pack) so that makes 13 and i'm sure the list is growing

Hangman
01-21-2007, 23:59
MrHappy

Was picked up and taken to Mountain Crossings. Winton said he was upstairs watch TV.
You guys are great!!!!:)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2007, 05:45

Amen.:) :) :)

Fly By Mike
01-22-2007, 11:40
Call us!!

706 896 8959

Thank you so much. I passed on your message to MrHappy when he called this morning and he said he will call you. He is getting back on the trail today at Unicoi Gap and plans a short day to stay at Tray Mountain Shelter tonight and Hiawassee tomorrow. Him Mom said to say thanks too and we both appreciate all the support from everyone on here and the hiking community throughout N. Georgia.

leep frog
01-22-2007, 12:33
Mr. Happy,
I'm in front of you at standing bear. My first week or so was really suck. I just finished my 3rd week tho, and it was much, much better. Being alone has by far been the hardest adjustment, but it sure makes company nice when you get it! I stayed at Icewater Springs with a full house after not seeing anyone for a few days; can anyone say "overwhelming?"

galaleemc
01-22-2007, 15:23
MrHappy did call. He was taken to Unicoi gap this morn, was staying tonight at Tray Mtn Shelter and will be here tomorrow. He will get the best advice from Crutch who is still here. We'll take care of him. I'll do my best to get him in the jacuzzi. One of the guys here may meet him on the trail, depends on the business though. I will also put him on the computer to catch up with everyone.

MrHappy
01-23-2007, 19:04
Hey Guys, checking in from Cloud9. Great place, great folks. Ended up walking 14.something miles yesterday to Deep Gap shelter and 3.5 this morning to Dick's Creek Gap. Spent the day with crutch, got an all you can eat chineese buffet in Hiawassee. I'm feeling better physically, and while It's still emotionally rough, it's a lot easier to deal with if I just don't think of going home as an option. I have a mail drop sent to Hiawassee which should get in at 9AM tomorrow morning. If it does, I'll head out with hikernutt tomorrow and go for Bly Gap. Should reach Franklin this weekend. Thinking of the trail in smaller terms... footstep to footstep, or day to day or even town to town rather than month to month makes it a lot easier too.

Got to go get dinner now... they've cooked up hamburgers for me. Did I mention that this place is great?

Michele
01-23-2007, 20:47
I just have to say, this is the first year I've been able to witness the very beginning of a NOBO season, and this community and its generous people give me hope in this world.

Keep puttin' one foot in front of the other Mr. Happy, Zero, and everyone else out there!

Chocolate Bandito
01-23-2007, 22:53
Saw nobo Goldrush around noon today about 2 miles south of Tray Mtn. shelter. Hellkat had stayed at Tray the night of the 21st.

guthook
01-24-2007, 09:52
All this talk is making me so excited... I'm about to mess my pants! I'm starting my nobo a month from today, and good lordy!
Good luck to everyone who's out there already. Sounds like a hell of a time....

galaleemc
01-24-2007, 10:40
Mr Happy and Hikernutt just left Cloud9. They said Zero should be here soon.

Cloud9 is open early this year due to some minor repair work in a bathroom. If you know anyone needing a place to stay.

MrHappy
01-25-2007, 16:54
Hikernutt decided she wanted OUT this morning (it was cold last night, stayed at Muskrat Creek Shelter) so we got picked up by Ron Haven at Standing Indian Campground (took the Kimsey Creek Trail). Will try to do some slackpacking or maybe just take it slow and let some people catch up so I'll have more company. I would have kept going but didn't feel like doing a below zero night alone. Hellkat was at the Muskrat Creek Shelter on the morning of the 24th.

G.H.O.S.T.
01-27-2007, 21:20
Got picked up just north of Hump Mnt. for a weekend of rest. Will get back on the trail early Monday morning and hope to be in VA by the first. Good luck and happy hiking to everyone who is out or getting started.

maxNcathy
01-29-2007, 14:52
Hikernutt decided she wanted OUT this morning (it was cold last night, stayed at Muskrat Creek Shelter) so we got picked up by Ron Haven at Standing Indian Campground (took the Kimsey Creek Trail). Will try to do some slackpacking or maybe just take it slow and let some people catch up so I'll have more company. I would have kept going but didn't feel like doing a below zero night alone. Hellkat was at the Muskrat Creek Shelter on the morning of the 24th.

Good luck, Josh Lee. Some bread in P.Pal for you to snag a pizza. Sandalwood

Fannypack
01-30-2007, 20:24
Has anyone hiked in the Smokies recently (maybe last w/e)? Any snow there?

I was looking at the Gatlinburg forecast, http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Gatlinburg.html , and from this it looks like the Smokies could be having some nasty weather later the week. Of course, it is January so what do we expect..

I think if hiked the AT in the Smokies again I would take enuff food to skip Gatlinburg.. i am curious, how many of u have done the Smokies in winter and skipped Gatlinburg?

NOTE: I put this in Class of 2007 forum/NOBO sightings thread because i thought maybe the 2007ers maybe interested in your reponse.

Blissful
01-30-2007, 21:25
We are thinking of skipping Gatlinburg if the weather is good - since the weather can get nasty up there. For some reason the Smokies makes me a little nervous, so would like to get through them as quickly and safely as possible (glad the bears will still be hibernating in mid March).

leep frog
01-31-2007, 14:57
I just got off the trail at hot springs on sat to take care of some personal business/let my IT band rest. I am heading back on the 10th, and wondering who might be around or close to there then. I will be hiking with a friend to erwin, but if anyone is around then some company would be a nice change after.

RE the smokies. I went through them in an easy 4 1/2 days last week. There was moderate snow, but Clingmans was *very* icy. A pair of junk instep crampons is worth taking. The section between mollie's ridge and double spring is a deceptively difficult 12 miles, and was easily the hardest part for me.

BTW, if you haven't made it through the smokies yet, stop at standing bear. They're ultra nice and it's a fun place to take a zero. If you stop there please tell sprocket that lee says hello. Also, the Sunny bank Inn in hot springs is cheap, very nice and worth stopping at if you need a day off.

Marta
01-31-2007, 15:11
Have the blowdowns been cleared in the Smokies? In December, there were some blowdowns that were by far the most difficult-to-negotiate I ran into on the whole AT.

Fly By Mike
01-31-2007, 18:58
I just got off the trail at hot springs on sat to take care of some personal business/let my IT band rest. I am heading back on the 10th, and wondering who might be around or close to there then. I will be hiking with a friend to erwin, but if anyone is around then some company would be a nice change after.

RE the smokies. I went through them in an easy 4 1/2 days last week. There was moderate snow, but Clingmans was *very* icy. A pair of junk instep crampons is worth taking. The section between mollie's ridge and double spring is a deceptively difficult 12 miles, and was easily the hardest part for me.

BTW, if you haven't made it through the smokies yet, stop at standing bear. They're ultra nice and it's a fun place to take a zero. If you stop there please tell sprocket that lee says hello. Also, the Sunny bank Inn in hot springs is cheap, very nice and worth stopping at if you need a day off.

I hear Zero and Mr Happy are planning to hike thru the Smokies together starting early next week. http://2000miler.net/

Blissful
01-31-2007, 20:27
I hear Zero and Mr Happy are planning to hike thru the Smokies together starting early next week. http://2000miler.net/

Boy, they're gonna be in for one cold hike. The weather is turning much colder here in VA by mid-week next week with lows in the single digits in the valley. Lowest temps so far this winter. I wouldn't want to be up there unless I had a below zero bag.

Fly By Mike
01-31-2007, 20:36
Boy, they're gonna be in for one cold hike. The weather is turning much colder here in VA by mid-week next week with lows in the single digits in the valley. Lowest temps so far this winter. I wouldn't want to be up there unless I had a below zero bag.

Thanks, Blissful. When Mr Happy calls I'll pass on the news. Enjoyed reading your blog. Happy trails.

leep frog
02-01-2007, 12:49
Hey marta,
Is this the same marta as 5-leaf clover? I ran into you before standing indian in the rain, and again at the ruck.

The blow downs through the smokies were not too bad, so they must've been cleared. I ran tinto ridge-runner Jim, and he had been out cutting small stuff and cleaning the shelters.

Marta
02-01-2007, 14:15
Hey marta,
Is this the same marta as 5-leaf clover? I ran into you before standing indian in the rain, and again at the ruck.

The blow downs through the smokies were not too bad, so they must've been cleared. I ran tinto ridge-runner Jim, and he had been out cutting small stuff and cleaning the shelters.

Yep, that's me.

Too bad bad for you about the blowdowns being gone. They were quite...interesting.

You have really been having the weather so far on your hike. Where are you now?

Cheers!
Marta/Five-Leaf

leep frog
02-02-2007, 12:23
I'm at hot springs right now, actually i'm at home taking a week off to do some phone interviews I had scheduled, take the pup to the vet and rest up a bit--IT band acting up. So I missed most of the crap weather since last Saturday, but Max Patch sure was cold and gorgeous!

I did hit some pretty big blowdowns between Clingman's and the Beech Forest Inclosure, according to my journal at least, but I somehow managed to edit the annoyance they caused...

Otherwise things are settling in well, hiking is going nicely and although it's nice to spend a few days eating, and um, drinking, with my friends, I'm feeling antsy and ready to get back to the trail asap.

G.H.O.S.T.
02-02-2007, 18:14
Just checking in real quick. Made it to Damascus yesterday. Desided to take a week off with the weather getting so cold, plus I have been making good time. Will be back in Damascus Friday or Saterday to knock out VA in about 4 weeks.

I remember the blow downs too leap frog. The last one was a real interesting set of 3-4 that required climbing and crawling if I remember correctly. Hope they get that cleared before too many others come through.

Good luck to everyone hiking and planning

Fannypack
02-02-2007, 18:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/avatars/fitjoe.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=7833) G.H.O.S.T. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=7833) , do u have a journal?

G.H.O.S.T.
02-02-2007, 19:37
Been keeping a personal one, but with everything my family has been doing to help me didn't want to put transcribing on their plate too.

Fannypack
02-02-2007, 22:53
I feel great after a meal & some beer. Just spent 3 nights in the Standing Indian Wilderness with 6 inches of snow...83 miles down & 2098 to go...
there is wilderness on the AT in NC????

glad u made it to Franklin..

if u could start over would u start your hike later in the year?

leep frog
02-03-2007, 12:44
I don't have my maps in front of me, but as for wilderness, wilderness vs. wilderness areas under the congressional act that designates "wilderness areas" are two radically different animals.

One estimate, which I believe I read in the Once and Future Forest, estimates that a true wilderness needs at least one million acres of roadless, continuous area to operate as a truley functioning ecosystem devoid of edge effect(invasive species, habitat modification and fragmentation and the like) that impacts the ecosystem functions in most of our forest and natural areas today.

Most of our wilderness areas in the east are pretty meager when you start wo look at them realistically, and once you start to recognize the factors that indicate the health of a forest, like spcies diveristy, you start to realize that most of these areas are in decline.

on to other topics...GHOST, I was chasing you a solid 5 days behind until I hit standing bear. I think someone else passed me while I was there also. At least I'm off the trail while the weather is crap though...

MrHappy
02-03-2007, 15:46
I took a week off at Cloud9 and now am back in Franklin with Zero. He's made it too Deep gap, so we'll hang out tomorrow for the superbowl and then on Monday morning part ways. I'm leaving from Wayah Bald and hope to make Hot Springs by the 19th.

Fannypack
02-03-2007, 17:26
I took a week off at Cloud9 and now am back in Franklin with Zero. He's made it too Deep gap, so we'll hang out tomorrow for the superbowl and then on Monday morning part ways. I'm leaving from Wayah Bald and hope to make Hot Springs by the 19th.
Zero's journal: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166110 , sounds like rather harsh weather....day & nite

stickat04
02-04-2007, 15:47
I am leaving tonight after the SuperBowl. So I will be starting tuesday. See you all out there.

hikernutt
02-05-2007, 19:30
Hear there are around 15 at Mountain Crossings tonight

Fannypack
02-05-2007, 19:48
Hear there are around 15 at Mountain Crossings tonight
hikernutt (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=10382) , where r u on the trail?

hikernutt
02-05-2007, 23:31
Fannypack,
I am back home in GA right now waiting on a new sleeping bag to come in.
I made it to Franklin NC and my 15 degree was not warm enough, had to come out at Deep Gap down a blue blaze trail to Standing Indian Campground to get a ride into Franklin. Will be back out on weekends when new bag comes in, then will be heading north for good around March 15th, hoping to make it to Fontana before then so I can start through the Smokies on the 15th.

MrHappy
02-12-2007, 12:38
I'm home again too. I crossed the Dam on friday and made it to Shuckstack (3.5 miles into the park) before deciding to turn around. I was physically exhausted and should have just takena zero day, but I didn't, so I ended up coming home for a few weeks to recover. I'll defenitely be back out on the trail before March 2nd.

MrHappy
02-12-2007, 12:39
Oh yeah -- Santa's Helper was at the Fontana Village resort, according to the Fontana Hilton register. He was staying there on the night of the 7th. Don't know if he has going into the park yet or not.

khaynie
02-12-2007, 13:03
My brother and I did a short hike (Sat/Sun) from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap last weekend.

Shortly after starting from Unicoi on Sat (12:30 p.m.), we ran into a NOBO named "Walrus." He's from Montana and is a recent retiree. Said that he left Springer on 2/2/07 and that the trail has been pretty much his. Seemed in good spirits and was excited to have begun his hike.

There was good bit of ice and snow on Tray and in parts of the trail that don't get much sun. Temps were in high 30's during the day (sat) and my thermometer read 24 at some point during the night. The views were outstanding and I wish we could have kept going.

Good luck to all!

Blissful
02-12-2007, 14:19
I'm home again too. I crossed the Dam on friday and made it to Shuckstack (3.5 miles into the park) before deciding to turn around. I was physically exhausted and should have just takena zero day, but I didn't, so I ended up coming home for a few weeks to recover. I'll defenitely be back out on the trail before March 2nd.

Good for you! The thought of you up there in the Smokies in the cold the other week - not good. What happened to Zero?

galaleemc
02-13-2007, 11:31
Heven't heard about Zero - sure would like to.

Here is MrHappy's latest.....brilliant writing.

http://2000miler.net/index.html

MrHappy
02-13-2007, 11:38
Last I heard, Zero left Franklin on Thursday from Winding Stair Gap. He wasn't planning to stop at the NOC.

galaleemc
02-14-2007, 09:31
arrived here yesterday to sit out this weather.

He started Feb 5......a gentleman from Atlanta area.

CaseyB
02-14-2007, 13:25
Anybody know if the G.H.O.S.T. go going back out of Damascus yet?

Anybody know what GHOST stands for?

madstang
02-14-2007, 13:58
Fannypack,
I am back home in GA right now waiting on a new sleeping bag to come in.
I made it to Franklin NC and my 15 degree was not warm enough, had to come out at Deep Gap down a blue blaze trail to Standing Indian Campground to get a ride into Franklin. Will be back out on weekends when new bag comes in, then will be heading north for good around March 15th, hoping to make it to Fontana before then so I can start through the Smokies on the 15th.

Hiker Nutt - I had a message from your husband about the Dalton gang. They are in the Smokies during this little winter storm (Valentines day '07) Where are you this weekend?

Hiker's mom
02-14-2007, 18:33
Ghost left Damascus on Feb 9th. He spent last night at Davis Path Shelter and plans to spend tonight at Chesnut Knob Shelter. He chose Ghost as his trail name as he left NOBO the end of the year/first of this year and said he wouldn't be seen by anyone while on the trail, leaving when he did.

CaseyB
02-15-2007, 09:39
Ghost left Damascus on Feb 9th. He spent last night at Davis Path Shelter and plans to spend tonight at Chesnut Knob Shelter. He chose Ghost as his trail name as he left NOBO the end of the year/first of this year and said he wouldn't be seen by anyone while on the trail, leaving when he did.

Thanks for the update. I'm new to WB, Trail Journals, etc. and so far the biggest surprise is how late/ early some of the SB/ NB hikers come thru. Good luck to the GHOST on his hike, I think a couple of guys came by on his week off so he may be able to catch some company.

Hiker's mom
02-15-2007, 11:20
Got a text message from Ghost last night. He was at Chesnut Knob Shelter and said Trek was also there. Last time I talked to him, he said there was another hiker about 2 days ahead of him, but I don't remember his trail name.

Ewker
02-15-2007, 11:29
Hiker's Mom, are you doing a trail Journal for Ghost?

Hiker's mom
02-15-2007, 14:45
I have not been, I talked to him recently about doing one for him and he said he had hated to ask someone to do so. He has been sending home his written journals he has been keeping. I'll talk to him again about posting those for him. Thanks for asking.

MrHappy
02-16-2007, 12:11
Has anybody heard anything about Santa's Helper?

Just a Hiker
02-16-2007, 19:14
I left Springer on Feb 8th....I just arrived in Franklin, NC today. I am staying at Ron Haven's place tonight. I haven't seen too many hikers thus far, but here is what I know so far. I met a couple of hikers at Neels Gap....their names are Highlander and Sticker. They were staying awhile until the weather warmed up, plus Highlander twisted his ankle. I also met a hiker named G-man as I was leaving Hiawassee. He said he was with some other hiker, but I didn't catch his/her name. I also met a guy named Walrus near Plumorchard Gap. He was headed back south because he said he twisted his ankle and wanted to get back to town. Thats pretty much it so far. The trail is in good shape, but I won't lie.....it's been pretty cold the past couple of nights. I think there may be a warm-up coming soon, so that will be nice for sleeping at night. Anyway, take care all.

Just Jim

Earl Grey
02-16-2007, 19:49
Nice to hear from you. How cold has it been getting at night you think?

Ewker
02-16-2007, 20:40
Has anybody heard anything about Santa's Helper?

according to his TJ he is in Gatlinburg

Fannypack
02-16-2007, 21:57
Phillips Motel in Robbinsville recommended by Santa Helper, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166273

Miss Janet
02-17-2007, 02:36
I have my first official NoBo tonight... Cardboard Princess... He says he hasn't seen anyone else but day hikers out there for weeks. Does anyone know where Zero and Magic are?

MrHappy
02-17-2007, 19:14
Glad to here Cardboard Princess is OK. I stayed with him at Siler Bald Shelter. It was a really freaking cold night and he wasn't awake when I left the shelter. He must really be cruising.

MrHappy
02-20-2007, 14:17
I just got a phone call from Zero. He was at the Fontana Dam visitors center. He's going into town to get a maildrop and taking a zero at the Hilton, then heading into the park tomorrow. He's going to try to make it to Gaitlinburg in 3 days.

Jaybird
02-20-2007, 14:34

Good One WOLF!:D

i hope to see some of you "early-birds" while i'm sectioning Central VA April 25-May 12th along with "Jigsaw"

hikernutt
02-20-2007, 22:20
I made it to Tellico Gap Sunday.Phone call today from Shadow and Numbtoes, said they made it ito the NOC with Just Jim on Monday..

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 22:30
I made it to Tellico Gap Sunday.Phone call today from Shadow and Numbtoes, said they made it ito the NOC with Just Jim on Monday..

Keep on keepin' on, Hikernutt.

MrHappy
02-20-2007, 23:22
The early starters all seem to be slowly converging on Fontana. Damn... I want to get back out there so badly.

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 23:26
The early starters all seem to be slowly converging on Fontana. Damn... I want to get back out there so badly.

You could adopt hikernutt's plan. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19297)

MrHappy
02-21-2007, 00:04
If I didn't live in New England, a 30 hour bus-ride away, it would be a great plan.

galaleemc
02-21-2007, 09:53
We have had two great gangs here coming and going.

Sticker left with The Walrus Monday late morning in great spirits....Sticker is sticking with him with his ankle.

We picked up Otto Raven Hawk Leila at Unicoi Gap Sunday. It's too cold for Raven so Otto made a tough decision to send him home. Bean came all the way from Boone with her two boys to get him. They stayed the night. We took Crutch Hawk and Wonder out for pizza. Next morning we dropped off this entire lot back up at Unicoi.

Lucas who was with Otto and Hawk is coming here this morning to sit out the rain another day/night.

Rattler
02-23-2007, 19:14
I was in the hills today and spoke with 2 thru-hikers. Easy Feelin' ( says no "g" because he's a Southern lad) was leavin' Fontana this morning heading for Springer to finish his sobo on March 4th. Also met "Osprey" at Unicoi Gap heading North as fast as he can to catch up with 2 other nobos.

Fannypack
02-24-2007, 08:36
SOBOers Iceman and Tundra Wookie finished Feb 22, 2007
see journal, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=167425

hikernutt
02-25-2007, 19:23
Pulled into NOC 24 Jan from Tellico Gap , Meet Rablin Rose for dinner and saw MOlasses and Sputnick there also. Took a ride to the Dam after the hike, there was Gman, Music Man , and 3 others in that group. Sprits were high the day was great in the 60’s.

Marta
02-26-2007, 00:03
I shared Carter Gap Shelter with Toesocks and Toesocks 2 last night. Today I ran into six other NOBOs--Alleycat, Osprey, L Train, Hawk, and two whose names I did not get.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Fannypack
02-26-2007, 00:29
I shared Carter Gap Shelter with Toesocks and Toesocks 2 last night. Today I ran into six other NOBOs--Alleycat, Osprey, L Train, Hawk, and two whose names I did not get.

Marta/Five-Leaf
prolly Salamander(male) & Juniper(female)

Fannypack
02-26-2007, 00:34
at Wesser Bald observation tower on Sat, Feb 24, Hikernutt saw 3 SOBOs: Beater, EZ Feelin', Commando
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=167569

briarpatch
02-26-2007, 00:41
I was on Springer yesterday to talk to the Caretaker and saw Guthook and Griz. Mountain Crossings had 55 thrus sign in as of Saturday AM.

Marta
02-26-2007, 07:55
at Wesser Bald observation tower on Sat, Feb 24, Hikernutt saw 3 SOBOs: Beater, EZ Feelin', Commando

As I was driving through Winding Stair Gap, I pulled in to see if anyone needed a ride to Franklin. Who should be sitting there, waiting for Ron Haven, but Beater?

Yeah, I think those two NOBOs were Salamander and Juniper. Alleycat mentioned those names. I think she said Juniper had a bad blister and was trying to take it easy.

Marta/Five-Leaf

lilpuppie
02-26-2007, 12:49
I'm operating a weekend shuttle of sorts (in my small prelude) from the Atlanta Airport to Springer. I took Josh Runyan to the lodge at the top of Amicolola falls yesterday.. no trail name yet as I gathered.

Marta
02-26-2007, 14:15
Howdy, Nemo! I'm thinking about hiking up and down the Approach Trail next weekend, just for the **** of it. Maybe I'll run into you.

Cheers!
Five-Leaf

Fannypack
02-27-2007, 13:11
SOBOer Gray Spainhour -Easy Feelin' 2006 at Blueberry Patch
-`65 miles to go http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=167656

galaleemc
02-27-2007, 20:25
Kevin is here tonight from MA

along with SOBO's Beater and Comando

Just a Hiker
02-28-2007, 19:25
Hello all...got to Standing Bear Farm today and a gentleman named Santa's Helper is also here. I found out some folks were wondering about him. Take Care.

Just Jim

tiamalle
02-28-2007, 23:22
Hello all...got to Standing Bear Farm today and a gentleman named Santa's Helper is also here. I found out some folks were wondering about him. Take Care.

Just Jimgood luck Jim

Socrates
03-01-2007, 00:51
Alas, since no one has spotted me, haha I'll do it myself. Started with the approach on Feb 25th. I'm at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega tonight. Josh and Lee are great people and this is a very nice hostel. Came from Hawk Shelter today. Have met Twofer, Pinky and the Brain, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Erin, Marshall and May, and PawPaw. And multiple day and section hikers. All really good folks and looking foward to meeting many more! The weather has been excellent for February, but supposed to rain cats and dogs tomorrow.

rafe
03-01-2007, 01:42
Alas, since no one has spotted me, haha I'll do it myself. Started with the approach on Feb 25th. I'm at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega tonight. Josh and Lee are great people and this is a very nice hostel. Came from Hawk Shelter today. Have met Twofer, Pinky and the Brain, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Erin, Marshall and May, and PawPaw. And multiple day and section hikers. All really good folks and looking foward to meeting many more! The weather has been excellent for February, but supposed to rain cats and dogs tomorrow.

That Nemo ought to keep you dry, Socrates. Have fun. Good to hear from you.

Lemur
03-01-2007, 02:04
Marta are you still on trail?? Wow and Beater is?!?! Amazing. I hiked into Monson with him last July. Seems like i finished my '06 SoBo a few months early.

-Laces

Marta
03-01-2007, 06:48
Marta are you still on trail?? Wow and Beater is?!?! Amazing. I hiked into Monson with him last July. Seems like i finished my '06 SoBo a few months early.

-Laces

Me...I'm only out there on weekends. I got to Springer on Jan. 11th, and have been back at work since Jan. 15th. Now I'm just trying not to get fat and lazy. Those fantasies I was having while I was slogging uphill--the ones where I spent the rest of my life reclining on a couch in a warm, dry house, watching TV and eating--those fantasies didn't last.

Beater has been following a more relaxed schedule than even I did, however. He just celebrated his 8th month on the Trail.

Yeah, you did kind of rush through it. More power to ya!

Marta/Five-Leaf

hikernutt
03-04-2007, 21:59
Today, Hawk, Osprey, Alley Cat and El Train ( express ) since he slacked from NOC to Fontana, all entered the Smokies . The always funny, Backyard Boogie, Salamander and Juniper pulled into Fontana, around 1pm today.

Everyone doing well. Everyone spoke of Toesocks and Toesocks 2, was just behind them.

Mountain Maiden
03-05-2007, 00:50
Boyz II Maine, (Nightwalk, Bonaventure, Lo Mas) and Music Man left out of Hot Springs going to Little Laurel Sunday after a stay at Elmer's.

Great guys with a real respect for the Trail!

Happy Hikin', guys!!

:sun

Marta
03-05-2007, 04:30
8-10 passed through the Standing Indian area over the weekend. Names I remember: Guthook, KY Blue, Action Jack (or something like that), Castanets.

Grandma Dixie
03-05-2007, 11:26
8-10 passed through the Standing Indian area over the weekend. Names I remember: Guthook, KY Blue, Action Jack (or something like that), Castanets.

Hatchet Jack, not action jack. Close though. Myself and Bobcat were right behind them, but we did a little bit of yellow blazing into Franklin, so now we're a little bit ahead. Behind us is a guy named Bushwacker and his daughter "Taken" *Note- My trail name is Carefree now, not Grandma Dixie.

Mountain Maiden
03-07-2007, 09:39
Mar 6--HOT SPRINGS
Sputnik
Heavenbound
Groovasaurus
Whateva'
Slick Shoes

Ant

G man

TOW
03-07-2007, 12:08
Pasta Man is here in Damascus doing a zero today. Pasta Man is best known as Matthew. I trail named him Pasta Man today because he is a pasta hog when he's out on the trail..........

Fly By Mike
03-07-2007, 14:09
On Monday I day hiked from Fontana to Shuckstack with Mr Happy - his first day back on the trail. We met up with Juniper, Salamander and Backyard Boogie and Mr Happy spent his first night out in their company at Mollies Ridge. We also ran into The Walrus and Stick on their way back to Fontana as Walrus was having trouble with his ankle again. I think they planned to shuttle around the Smokies.

More details in Mr Happy's journal which I update for him:

www.2000miler.net (http://www.2000miler.net).

MrHappy
03-08-2007, 11:35
I'm in Gaitlinburg healing a pulled groin muscle. Salamander, Juniper, and Backyard Boogie are now calling their group "The Fellowship of the Egg" and are planning on reaching Standing Bear Farm by Saturday when the T-Storms hit the area.

We met L-Train on Tuesday on top of Rocky Top. He has a sprained knee and was headed to Cade's Cove to get off trail for a week or so.

Fannypack
03-08-2007, 11:48
I'm in Gaitlinburg healing a pulled groin muscle. Salamander, Juniper, and Backyard Boogie are now calling their group "The Fellowship of the Egg" and are planning on reaching Standing Bear Farm by Saturday when the T-Storms hit the area.

We met L-Train on Tuesday on top of Rocky Top. He has a sprained knee and was headed to Cade's Cove to get off trail for a week or so.
see his journal here:
http://2000miler.net/

It seems from what he says that the Smokies are in good shape now....no mention of snow....

Mountain Maiden
03-08-2007, 12:54
Noon today--ZERO is in Hot Springs and says, "tell Mr. Happy to get hikin' and CATCH UP!"

MrHappy
03-08-2007, 15:21
Tell Zero I'm on my way! Just as soon as I can walk again...

There was no snow on the trail from Fontana to Dereck Knob, though there were patches on the sides of the trail. I have heard that Clingmans Dome is still covered in several inches of ice, despite the warm weather.

It's the thunderstorms this weekend that anyone in the area will want to look out for.

Mountain Maiden
03-09-2007, 23:29
Ramblin' Rose came into HS yesterday. Santa's helper came in today

AND-OSPREY pulled a 30-miler :eek: from Standing Bear to Elmer's (8 am to 6 pm) and didn't even look tired!

hikernutt
03-11-2007, 21:13
Posted by: Tim
Today around noon at the NOC, we meet a couple of friends, Butch Cassidy and Sundance.

Schulo
03-11-2007, 22:02
Was at NOC today also and saw Bushwacker, Taken, Caboose, and Pegasus. Shared the Wesser shelter with all of them. Great people. Also passed Pinky and The Brain, Fish and Chips, Doc, Rockhound, Tmac, and Butch Cassidy and Sundance on the trail. Good luck to all of you.

Mountain Maiden
03-11-2007, 22:21
Osprey and Ramblin' Rose headed out from HS today.

Boone, Woodstock and Hawk arrived in HS.

MO-Lasses and Santa's Helper still here...

Season's off to a great start---Some great and wonderful people on the Trail this year!

MrHappy
03-12-2007, 10:53
Well it sounds like my plan to stay ahead of the crowds isn't going to work out.

"They are coming."
-Gandalf

Mountain Maiden
03-12-2007, 21:37
walrus and Sticker are still here in HS but have moved to elmers'...(Sticker has dental issues...)

Salamander and Juniper arrived today.

Woodstock and Lenore moved to Elmer's today.

AND---:welcome WB's own BIG CRANKY and friend, Mac arrived today to start their section-hike (and have dinner at Elmer's :D)

Mountain Maiden
03-13-2007, 23:37
Woodstock, Walrus, Hawk and Santa's Helper hiked on up the Trail today.

Fruit Fly arrived in HS, along with a couple of section-hikers--Dad and Son, John and Steven.

rafe
03-13-2007, 23:40
Well it sounds like my plan to stay ahead of the crowds isn't going to work out.

Don't even think about it. I'm friggin' serious. Let 'em go.

Mountain Maiden
03-15-2007, 15:03
Fruit Fly hiked out----

Alley Cat, Leland, Backyard Boogie, Balsey Palsey arrived yesterday.

Hawk(he came back!) and Sticker are still here...

Mountain Maiden
03-16-2007, 22:17
Alley Cat, Leland, Mousetrap and Hawk headed North today.

Comer and Jean ariived yesterday. Zeroed today...

Kentucky Blue and Guthook arrived this afternoon

"Jennifer" stopped in...as did Cough Drop

Lone Wolf
03-16-2007, 22:19
Alley Cat, Leland, Mousetrap and Hawk headed North today.

Comer and Jean ariived yesterday. Zeroed today...

Kentucky Blue and Guthook arrived this afternoon

"Jennifer" stopped in...as did Cough Drop

are you posting from elmer's?

Miss Janet
03-17-2007, 17:25
Yeah, she is posting from Hot Spring's... From SUNNYbank Inn!

Mountain Maiden
03-17-2007, 19:54
are you posting from elmer's?

yep--that is where I be...

Mountain Maiden
03-17-2007, 19:56
Pilgrim and Jennifer moved to Sunnybank today.

Justin and Fedex arrived in town..

Mountain Maiden
03-17-2007, 22:03
TunaMac did the trek from Standing Bear to Elmer's today...

Fannypack
03-18-2007, 07:01
extract from Big Boy's entry for Sunday, March 11, 2007:
Speaking of NOBO'rs, some really stood out; "No Reason" in particular. "No Reason" (yes, that's his trail name) is doing a triple yo-yo. I believe he is only the third or fourth hiker to do this. First, he hiked from Springer to Katahdin, then immediately returned, finishing last week. Now he's on his way back to Katahdin. His first two treks were in honor of two buddies from the Vietnam War. This time the hike is for himself. Go, "No Reason", go, my hats off to you.

(the above came from: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=168802 )

Heater
03-18-2007, 07:47
extract from Big Boy's entry for Sunday, March 11, 2007:
Speaking of NOBO'rs, some really stood out; "No Reason" in particular. "No Reason" (yes, that's his trail name) is doing a triple yo-yo. I believe he is only the third or fourth hiker to do this. First, he hiked from Springer to Katahdin, then immediately returned, finishing last week. Now he's on his way back to Katahdin. His first two treks were in honor of two buddies from the Vietnam War. This time the hike is for himself. Go, "No Reason", go, my hats off to you.

(the above came from: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=168802 )

That's cool. :cool:

hikernutt
03-18-2007, 18:17
Posted by. Tim

Returned El Train to Newfound Gap today. He appears to be in good shape. Clingman’s covered with snow. We saw Papa Hawk, Eleven, at NOC today, on our return trip home.

Mountain Maiden
03-18-2007, 20:46
A 8.5 # French Horn hiked in today carried by its owner--"Clem"

Also arrived: Carefree, Garrett, Hatchet Jack and Bobsled

Tunamac, Guthook, Fedex, Pilgrim, Ky Blue, Justin and Jennifer hiked out....

MrHappy
03-22-2007, 13:56
El-Train left Hot Springs today, on foot headed north, along with Moon Walker and Orange Blaze.

hikernutt
03-22-2007, 21:33

Hikernutt, Papa Hawk and daughter, Blissful and Paul Buyan, 357 Magnum along with others entered The Smokies today. At Fontana shelter there was around 20-25 at the shelter. Others in the village. Those that I remember at the shelter was Freight Train, Hell Bender, Sniper, a couple Maine that was healing a knee. Daisy and her group of 4

jaywalke
03-22-2007, 22:04
Met CB in the Rice Fields shelter in Virginia last Saturday (3/17).
It was cold and windy up there, and he was taking a zero day.

butch trent
03-23-2007, 18:14
saw alleycat ,hawk , mouse trap near curley maple shelter today.
seemed to be having fun.

Mountain Maiden
03-23-2007, 21:07
Fish, Chips, Long-Tall, Jester, Gray Wolf, Sardine, Noodles, Thrills, and about 5 others (??names) strode into HS today...a BEAUTIFUL day for a hike!

Grandma Dixie
03-23-2007, 23:19
Howdy all. Carefree here, I'm at Miss Janet's right now. Everyone better hurry up and get in by tomorrow, because I'm planning on making a bunch of Pizza's (my specialty) to celebrate my one month anniversary of being on the trail. Hope to see some people here!

PS- Mountain Maiden, are you Sunny from Elmer's?

Rattler
03-24-2007, 12:22
Large crowd here at Fontana (Dam and village). Include KZ, Fenceman, Silver, Calamity Jane, Hobo, U-Turn, and many others.
Rattler

Gaiter
03-24-2007, 14:51
a whole crowd is here at Ms. Janet's
this morning there was: Snakebite, Pilgram, Backyard Bogie, The Dude, Carefree, Bobsled, Garret, Hatchet Jack, Clem, Santa's Helper... I think thats everyone, some are sectioning, some zeroing, some have moved on, and Mr. Happy just showed up
I've had a great section this week, i'm letting a blister heal and then slack a section tomorrow. I meet sooo many thru's this week, new face or two every day.
Hanna

StarLyte
03-24-2007, 16:21
Coral Rives / Boat Drinks phoned from Franklin, said he would post an update here as soon as he can.

Sure wish I were down there......

Mountain Maiden
03-24-2007, 16:27
Howdy all. Carefree here, I'm at Miss Janet's right now. Everyone better hurry up and get in by tomorrow, because I'm planning on making a bunch of Pizza's (my specialty) to celebrate my one month anniversary of being on the trail. Hope to see some people here!

PS- Mountain Maiden, are you Sunny from Elmer's?

Yes, Darlin' I am! Good to see u made it to Miss J's! She will treat you right and I already told her what a gem you are!

Hiker Hugs,
Sunny :sun

atmooney
03-24-2007, 17:52
Only out for 30 days/
Only 30 days... Sadly, I would have to plan way ahead to get 3 days... Someday thru hiking will happen!!! Just need to get my daughter off to college. She's 3.5 years now... Come on female doogie hauser!!!!

TOW
03-24-2007, 19:14
Woodstock is here in Damascus...............

hikernutt
03-25-2007, 17:25
Posted by: Tim25 Mar 07

Meet many at Newfound Gap today. Magellan ( GAME 99 ) was there heading to Fontana. Monga was there waiting on Papa Hawk, Uehler and another one, I did not catch his name. They went into Gatlinburg. Hikernutt, Blissfull, Paul Bunion, went on to Pecks Corner,. Hellbender, Freight Train, Strider, Broadway,Jonny Hand and Shaggy we hoping to catch a cheeseburger from Gatlinburg also.
Also, Spotted at the NOC was Ismael and Yard Sale…

Marta
03-25-2007, 21:56
I met Pinky and The Brain at Mt. Cammerer fire tower today. They were on their way to Standing Bear Farm for the night. Just in front of them were Elsa and two guys whose names I did not get. (Shame on me!)

I stopped at Standing Bear and chatted with Curtis for a bit. Spring has sprung there in East TN. It's lovely on the Farm.

Just a reminder--Mt. Moma's is closed. Don't have packages sent there, and don't bother to walk down the road to it.

Flying Monkey
03-25-2007, 23:45
Five-Leaf! HI! Sorry I never got back to your post. I had to return a few days early due to a change in my workplace (new boss), and deal with that. (Which you know something about)

How was the rest of your hike?

I still fondly remember our conversation, and your awesomely ridiculous sleeping bag. :)

Marta
03-26-2007, 06:40
Hello, Flying Monkey! Sorry to hear you had to go home early. Or maybe I shouldn't be--the next couple of days after we met were very, very wet, and then it got cold and windy and snowed a bit. What a shock for January, eh?

The rest of my hike was quite brief. I whipped through Georgia pretty quickly, and was lucky enough to meet up with friends a few times, both by plan and by accident, as well as meeting an early NOBO or two. The awesomely ridiculous winter sleeping bag has been retired for the season. I went camping in the Smokies this past weekend and was sweltering in my spring/fall sleeping bag.

Have you got another AT excursion planned?

Cheers!
Marta/Five-Leaf

pitdog
03-26-2007, 07:43
I was down their a few weeks ago and their was trash at every shelter.Its too bad for the rest of us.

Mother Nature
03-26-2007, 14:38
I spent last night on Tray Mountain with Smokestack. Might add that it seemed mighty strange to be 90 degrees on top of Tray on March 25! The gnats were horrible!

Anyway, on my way back home I stopped at Unicoi Gap to see if anyone needed a ride into Helen.

Ox was there passing out cold drinks and we chatted for awhile.

The three desperadoes, Sherlock, Circuit Rider and Lone Wolf came down from Blue Mountain.

Fannypack
03-26-2007, 15:09
The three desperadoes, Sherlock, Circuit Rider and Lone Wolf came down from Blue Mountain.
LW, where did u get that chest? lifting weights?

Midway Sam
03-26-2007, 15:27

I'm guessing it's a Playtex 18-Hour, but I might be wrong.

<Midway Sam grins, ducks & runs!!>

Mother's Finest
03-26-2007, 18:25
Sunday Matthewski and i ran into a pretty kooky sectioner/potential flip flopper. Name is Thomas (spanish pronunciation, long o) started at Caledonia State Park and we saw him up at the Pinnacle. He apparently spent Saturday night in a small cave (not the Pinnacle cave). We gave him some food, and other hiker essentials.
Strange cat at first, but I think he is out working some things out. Headed north. He seemed to have a fascination with knives.
Lone Wolf does indeed look ripped.
peace
mf

StarLyte
03-27-2007, 13:56

Lifting Gypsy up :sun

Speer Carrier
03-27-2007, 16:05
Sunday Matthewski and i ran into a pretty kooky sectioner/potential flip flopper. Name is Thomas (spanish pronunciation, long o) started at Caledonia State Park and we saw him up at the Pinnacle. He apparently spent Saturday night in a small cave (not the Pinnacle cave). We gave him some food, and other hiker essentials.
Strange cat at first, but I think he is out working some things out. Headed north. He seemed to have a fascination with knives.
Lone Wolf does indeed look ripped.
peace
mf

Was Thomas (long o ) barefooted? My son-in-law ran into a guy with that name a couple years ago around this time period on Tray Mountain. This guy lived on Long Island, worked in the summer on farms, then spent the winter in Florida hiking. When we saw him, he was heading back north. As I recall, this guy said he was sort of the black sheep in a very successful family, and kinda just did his thing. He was a nice guy, and well spoken, but definitely a little out of the ordinary.

TOW
03-27-2007, 16:42
I am sitting right by Juniper and Mo Lassus right now here in Damascus and I met No Joke yesterday who took off today heading north........

Mother's Finest
03-27-2007, 16:44
Was Thomas (long o ) barefooted? My son-in-law ran into a guy with that name a couple years ago around this time period on Tray Mountain. This guy lived on Long Island, worked in the summer on farms, then spent the winter in Florida hiking. When we saw him, he was heading back north. As I recall, this guy said he was sort of the black sheep in a very successful family, and kinda just did his thing. He was a nice guy, and well spoken, but definitely a little out of the ordinary.

Funny you mention barefooted...as Matty and I were heading away, I mentioned that he had no socks on. At least none that I could notice. Was wearing some type of trail sneaker, definitely no socks. There was some ice on the trail in that section, and he said he spent all of last week out on the trail (they got like a foot of icy snow) so barefoot would be pretty interesting.
Who knows, he may be your man. We definitely got the impression that he was out there for a reason. The first question he asked was really weird. He said to us "Is this a gay trail or something" (matt and I are good friends, but not that good) Then later on, he started to say something to matt like "I just get so mad ....." as he was explaining our initial encounter.

He had no noticeable LongIsland/New York accent.

peace
mf

the Nighthawk
03-28-2007, 08:57
This is the Nighthawk of the Boyz II Maine (read: Boys to Maine, yes it is a take-off on the pop group from the '90s). La Mas Hardcore and I are currently in Troutville, VA (713 miles north) and moving forward. Bonaventure has pulled off from the group for a while as he was looking for some more solitude to do his meditations and he is a few days south of us. The weather is so beautiful in VA, I guess we were simply given more than our fair share of grace with choosing an early start this year.

***Boyz II Maine Freestyle Rap***
We are the Boys II Maine, We don't feel no pain,
We gots miles to gain, Nighthawk controls the rain.
We may seem a bit vain, A little more insane,
But we do ordain, That on the A.T. we reign.
Know it's against the grain, But these woods are our domain,
Our pace is tough to maintain, So ahead few NOBOs remain.
"The muscle" bears the bane, "Comic man" spits 'em like Dane (Cook),
"The Looks'" job's not to wane, On this northbound train.
Understanding we do not feign, Wisdom we're here to claim,
As our bodies we drain, We empower our brains.
Over 700 miles, no strain, now walk through town in the lane,
No landscape is plain, 'Tis but a walk to Maine!

P.S. If about us you complain, our wrath we will not restrain,
And you shall be slain, like Abel by Cain.

Mother's Finest
03-28-2007, 10:58
rock on (or rap on) boyz II maine.....

peace
mf

Midway Sam
03-28-2007, 11:01
This is the Nighthawk of the Boyz II Maine (read: Boys to Maine, yes it is a take-off on the pop group from the '90s). La Mas Hardcore and I are currently in Troutville, VA (713 miles north) and moving forward. Bonaventure has pulled off from the group for a while as he was looking for some more solitude to do his meditations and he is a few days south of us. The weather is so beautiful in VA, I guess we were simply given more than our fair share of grace with choosing an early start this year.

***Boyz II Maine Freestyle Rap***
We are the Boys II Maine, We don't feel no pain,
We gots miles to gain, Nighthawk controls the rain.
We may seem a bit vain, A little more insane,
But we do ordain, That on the A.T. we reign.
Know it's against the grain, But these woods are our domain,
Our pace is tough to maintain, So ahead few NOBOs remain.
"The muscle" bears the bane, "Comic man" spits 'em like Dane (Cook),
"The Looks'" job's not to wane, On this northbound train.
Understanding we do not feign, Wisdom we're here to claim,
As our bodies we drain, We empower our brains.
Over 700 miles, no strain, now walk through town in the lane,
No landscape is plain, 'Tis but a walk to Maine!

P.S. If about us you complain, our wrath we will not restrain,
And you shall be slain, like Abel by Cain.

I can't believe you didn't work in at least one "drain the main vein" or "the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain." Shame!

TOW
03-29-2007, 17:03
Fed Ex, Osprey, Kentucky Blue, Gut Hook and Cough Drop are all here in Damascus and heading to the movies tonight...........

frieden
03-29-2007, 21:26
Anyone see doggiebag?

CaseyB
03-30-2007, 00:51
Fed Ex, Osprey, Kentucky Blue, Gut Hook and Cough Drop are all here in Damascus and heading to the movies tonight...........

Was looking for this group bearing gifts tonight....too late now.:D All gone.

TOW
03-30-2007, 16:48
Was looking for this group bearing gifts tonight....too late now.:D All gone.
Gut Hook told me yesterday that they were, or he was planning a zero today.......................he's at Dave's Place I think

little bear
03-30-2007, 22:50
Has anyone seen or heard from Vaporjourneys?

LB

Baum Trigger
04-01-2007, 17:25
Day hiked a loop from Cades Cove in the GSMNP up to Spence Field Shelter, over to Russell Field Shelter, and back down. Ran into approximately 10-12 thrus-hikers between the two shelters, but because the weather was so nasty, only got the names of a few. TheBagLady is doing great and is a wonderful woman, I feel honored to have met her! Willing and Able were at Spence Field and also looked to be doing well. I wish them all the best of luck with the trail!

Fannypack
04-04-2007, 17:26
Baltimore Jack & Bfitz on Springer, Apr3 ...

I was reading this journal entry, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=172119 and noticed Jack & Bfitz mentioned. Journal entry excerpt below:

I forgot to mention that yesterday I met Jack Tarlin and bfits from whiteblaze. They were atop of Springer. Kinda cool. I used Jack's article for assistance in planning my trip up to to Damascus. Defenitely not what I had expected. I guess I should be grateful that I am not carrying his pack. It was huge. In fact I think it was as big as my mom. J/K. Thanks for the article Jack, really really helpful.

Topcat
04-04-2007, 20:02
Ran into the two guys on the right of this picture last weekend the day before they were doing their half gallon challenge.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15035&catid=member&imageuser=11416

One was named bearbait, i forget the others, sorry guy. They were great and seemed to be having a good time. I enjoyed their stories, especially one of riding the train from Harper's Ferry to Baltimore and looks on people faces as they smelled them coming close.

rafe
04-04-2007, 20:06
Ran into the two guys on the right of this picture last weekend the day before they were doing their half gallon challenge.

2007 nobos in PA already? When did they start ????

Grandma Dixie
04-04-2007, 20:56
Eat my shorts. I'm heading for Maine. I don't care what you cyber hikers think. Get off your fat asses and hike.

rafe
04-04-2007, 22:00
Eat my shorts. I'm heading for Maine. I don't care what you cyber hikers think. Get off your fat asses and hike.

Such hostility... say, are you that chick from the Bryson book with the ear trouble? :D

Hiker's mom
04-05-2007, 07:47
2007 nobos in PA already? When did they start ????
Don't know these 2, but Toothpick and Ghost will be getting to the PA/NJ border today. They have been held up a few days with Toothpick fighting bronchitis. Ghost started Dec 29th and I believe Toothpick started about Jan 14th.

Topcat
04-05-2007, 16:29
They said they started in early Feb. They took off the spring semester at school and seemd to be just moving along. They lost their third hiker very early in the trek. They didnt seem rushed at all, just hiking their hike

Programbo
04-05-2007, 18:48

You need a serious attitude adjustment

MrHappy
04-06-2007, 19:49
Miss Janet and those staying at her hostel went up to the Beauty Spot to do some trail magic and enjoy the full moon. Riders on the Storm, Golden Boy, Shadow & Numbtoe, among others were there. This was three nights ago.

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/josh.m.lee/BeautySpot?authkey=iOFU3dA5Yjc

hikernutt
04-09-2007, 22:05
Mountain Man at Fontana Hilton tonight. Going into the Smokies tomorrow.

Skidsteer
04-09-2007, 22:14
Baltimore Jack & Bfitz on Springer, Apr3 ...

I was reading this journal entry, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=172119 and noticed Jack & Bfitz mentioned. Journal entry excerpt below:

I forgot to mention that yesterday I met Jack Tarlin and bfits from whiteblaze. They were atop of Springer. Kinda cool. I used Jack's article for assistance in planning my trip up to to Damascus. Defenitely not what I had expected. I guess I should be grateful that I am not carrying his pack. It was huge. In fact I think it was as big as my mom. J/K. Thanks for the article Jack, really really helpful.

Gremlins got it I guess. Journal entry now reads:

Well I am not quite sure what happened to the journal I had previously started. It just kind of disappeared on me so here I am starting over.

I started the trail yesterday. Me, my husband, and my mom hiked up from the parking area to Springer. I didn't have my pack on but my back was huting seriously bad. I ended up coming home so I could figure out what to do. I figured rest would be a good thing with some dosages of Ibuprofin. My husband will be bringing me back out on Saturday to re-officially start my hike. He will be hiking with me the first few miles to make sure everything is good to go. It was really kind of depressing. All the planning (granted it was only a few weeks) and it just may not work out for me this year. I have come to terms that if not that is OK. I am still blessed to live near the AT in Georgia and will still get out and hike and like they say the trail will be there for me to keep trying. Kind of sucks since my stats will be messed up. Zero days really screw things up.

Gray Blazer
04-09-2007, 22:16
She's her own grandma.:rolleyes: How'd you know my a$$ was fat?:-?

Skidsteer
04-09-2007, 23:08
Mountain Man at Fontana Hilton tonight. Going into the Smokies tomorrow.

Gooo Mountain Man!

Watch that knee!

emerald
04-10-2007, 09:25
You need a serious attitude adjustment

:-? Maybe that attitude will figure prominently in getting Grandma Dixie to Maine, but then again it may seriously hinder it. Either way, it's someone else's problem.;)

momalley
04-10-2007, 10:03
I (Ansel) have holed up in Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake until Sunday or Monday. I hiked into Pearisburg yesterday with Orange Blaze who is probably hiking out today. I hope everyone is having a fantastic hike.

ImkerVS
04-13-2007, 21:41
Erwin, temp 60 degrees, fair weather.

My wife and I passed a lady, Bucket, saying her farewells at the trailhead leading to Beauty Spot, my guess would be the mildly concerned lady she was saying goodbye to is her mom. Later at Beauty Spot let's see, who did we see? Tin-tin, pythogoras, "Joseph Stalin", and whazzizname Deja Vu mebbe, and I think another said his name was Almost There? or maybe it was Not Quite? And three of those guys were dressed a bit eccentrically in flowered house coats or mu-mu's or something, and on the way back down (just a day hike for me) I saw Jonah a thru hiker on his way north, and I said "hope you have better weather" and he said "What? This is great weather!" But I was talking about that deep freeze we had the last few days.

Matteroo
04-13-2007, 22:36
ImkerVS,

If this is the same Bucket that I know of (my girlfriend) then it was not her mom she was saying goodbye to. Not sure who it would have been really, a new friend probably. :) I just spoke with her (Bucket) about 20 minutes ago, she did 24 miles today from Erwin to Greasy Creek Hostel-blew her previous high mile day out of the water by 8 miles. Though she said tomorrow she'll do less. I was waiting to see if her name would come up here! very cool :sun

04-14-2007, 15:29
Both these guys came into Lamberts Meadow shelter (april 10th) after dark, ate mac and cheese and tuna. They got up before dark and ate little debbie cakes and took off before sunrise. They left March 1, and have gone 700 miles. 17.4 miles per day. On the day they did dragons tooth, McAfee and tinker cliffs they did 20 miles. OUCH, took me 2 long hard days to cover that ground but I also took 170 pictures!!

Jester2000
04-14-2007, 15:51
Get off your fat asses and hike.

I prefer to think of my ass as "Rubenesque."

And I rarely worry about it, as the only time I have to look at it is right before I stick my head up it.

Ewker
04-15-2007, 17:48
Creekdancer and I hiked the last few miles to Dick's Creek Gap with 1Pint this past Friday

hikernutt
04-15-2007, 18:47
Mountain Man is in Gatlinburg, we went up and stayed the weekend there. Attend the White Blaze Day at the Happy Hiker. I hope to join him in Hot Springs next weekend to continue north...Grandbaby is to be born tomorrow. Knee and feet better now.

Talked to El-train , he said he was in Pearisburg.

ms doolittle
04-15-2007, 19:26
Mountain Man is in Gatlinburg, we went up and stayed the weekend there. Attend the White Blaze Day at the Happy Hiker. I hope to join him in Hot Springs next weekend to continue north...Grandbaby is to be born tomorrow. Knee and feet better now.

Talked to El-train , he said he was in Pearisburg.
Hey hikernutt, did you run into anyone form the Maine Train? That place had to have been completely full from the biblical rains/weather they got.

Specifically, did you run into Green Hornet? I'm hoping he got off the trail. I know Uncle Tom did (he's been hiking with him). I'm trying to find out if GH made it into town or not....

Thanks!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-15-2007, 19:32
::: Grandma Dixie takes zero to recover from toe bites :D :::

Grandma Dixie is 17. The 'tude comes with the territory.....

Lone Wolf
04-15-2007, 19:44
Grandma Dixie is 17. The 'tude comes with the territory.....

the "tude" comes from NOT logging out on a public computer in Damascus and then somebody posts stuff using his name. twasn't i.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-15-2007, 20:00
::: begs LW to tell who did it so she can bite some toes. Didn't have dessert tonight and need a snack :::

Marta
04-15-2007, 20:18
Saw lots and lots of hikers in Hot Springs this weekend. Stitches, Mala, and Chocolate Bandito were all at the Smoky Mtn. Diner Saturday morning. As I was coming down Rich Mtn today (where I was sleeted on, BTW) I talked briefly with a young couple who said they'd been told there were nine people ahead of them going to the shelter. After that couple, I saw four more NOBOs in the next 20 minutes.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Fannypack
04-15-2007, 20:48
from GutHook's Apr 15, 2007 journal entry at Montebello,VA - Dutch Haus B+B, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=174098:
"Tyvek is here, too, starting back on the trail after getting off last year. Cool guy... hikes barefoot and makes all of his gear out of tyvek. I love it."

I wonder if this is the same Tyvek who hiked in 98?

Sir-P-Alot
04-15-2007, 22:23
Hiked into Hot Springs on a weekend trip with Dishman this weekend: we ran into Miss Graceful, Ziola, Ghost of Panchi?, Lumby, Spock, Judo, Amtrack, Tripple A, TMB, Uncle Buck, Dances with Sloths and some others that I can't remember.

mweinstone
04-17-2007, 13:22
anyone seen gary and his dog pepper north of wind gap? he should be in new york now.

lvleph
04-17-2007, 14:26
Was at SEHHA in Hot Spring over the weekend and saw Stitches.

ms doolittle
04-17-2007, 15:45
Hey hikernutt, did you run into anyone form the Maine Train? That place had to have been completely full from the biblical rains/weather they got.

Specifically, did you run into Green Hornet? I'm hoping he got off the trail. I know Uncle Tom did (he's been hiking with him). I'm trying to find out if GH made it into town or not....

Thanks!!
Nevermind. He just got to Davenport today. He hiked through when everyone took shelter at Gatlinburg. He'll be in Hot Springs in two days.:D

gold bond
04-18-2007, 10:24
Ran into a lady with two goats! The goats were doing all the work. Also ran into "Catchup" and "AT70". Ran into them at Muskrat Shelter.

Lilred
04-18-2007, 10:43
goats on the AT? Thought pack animals weren't allowed. good grief

Marta
04-18-2007, 11:54
goats on the AT? Thought pack animals weren't allowed. good grief

If this is who I think it is, the goats are service animals.

sly dog
04-18-2007, 12:53
Tyvek did a thru hike in 06. not sure how far he made it.I think he was going sobo. Gotta be the same guy, barefoot an all.

Lilred
04-18-2007, 15:02
If this is who I think it is, the goats are service animals.

curious, how are goats service animals? I'm really curious, not being sarcastic.

AZTrish
04-19-2007, 23:28
Keep an eye out for "Gopher" aka Tommy heading north. Last I heard he was in Franklin area. He said he ran into two interesting guys on the trail the other day, one with a banjo, the other with a mandolin but didn't mention their names.

Marta
04-20-2007, 06:44
curious, how are goats service animals? I'm really curious, not being sarcastic.

I don't actually know what form of service they provide. I just heard that a hiking acquaintance who has medical problems had gotten a couple of service goats and is hiking with them.

Marta/Five-Leaf

ms doolittle
04-20-2007, 08:27
Keep an eye out for "Gopher" aka Tommy heading north. Last I heard he was in Franklin area. He said he ran into two interesting guys on the trail the other day, one with a banjo, the other with a mandolin but didn't mention their names.
Ah sweet, entertainment on the trail. Perfect. Next best thing to being at Telluride Blue Grass Festival. :D

EarlyBird2007
04-21-2007, 15:35
I'm actually in Erwin at the H.I. Express taking a much needed zero with my wife and grandson. I head back out tomorrow to climb Roan Mtn. I hear it's a toughie. Lots of thrus are here with me, including Judo, Spock, Sleeping Beauty, Evil Eye and Miss Graceful. I think most of them have gotten to Erwin on the AT, rather than a little further north as in my case. If you read my trail journal you will see that Miss Janet really saved my bacon last evening. What a wonderful lady.

trlhiker
04-22-2007, 21:53
On Friday night, Salamander was at the Maupin Field shelter and was debating on whether to head into Waynesboro on Saturday. Saw Juniper at Harpers Creek shelter on Saturday night. She was heading for Paul Wolfe shelter on Sunday.

hikernutt
04-22-2007, 22:11

Returned Hikernutt to Hotsprings. Meet up with Mountain Man. They are traveling togeather. Should be at Little Laurel Shelter today.
Little Laurel Shelter

hikernutt
04-22-2007, 22:51
post by : Tim

Always looking for ways to earn extra income. The Nailz never showed.
Mt. Man must smelled to bad.

:banana

Tumblerisk
04-22-2007, 23:23
Has anyone seen Mr. Cheeks out there (I think he's Senior Quack on WB)? I met him the evening before he started his hike on Springer on 3/23, but his Trail Jornal only has a few updates and I haven't seen any posts on here. Just checking, he seemed like one who would make it to Maine.

mweinstone
04-22-2007, 23:29
i cant take mt. man. but ill take a dive in the first minute for the right amount

Brrrb Oregon
04-23-2007, 01:00
i cant take mt. man. but ill take a dive in the first minute for the right amount

Considering you only have one good leg, a minute is a fair estimate. ;)

strnorm
04-23-2007, 01:22
i met monkey and coco at watagua lake shelter first part of last week, young couple from pittsburg

Fannypack
04-23-2007, 06:33
Has anyone seen Mr. Cheeks out there (I think he's Senior Quack on WB)? I met him the evening before he started his hike on Springer on 3/23, but his Trail Jornal only has a few updates and I haven't seen any posts on here. Just checking, he seemed like one who would make it to Maine.
Mr Cheeks, Apr 22 in Hot Springs, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=175484

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 20:35
Saw bfitz in Duncannon, of all places, this past weekend. He was heading back South to get back on the trail today.

Skidsteer
04-23-2007, 22:00
post by : Tim

Always looking for ways to earn extra income. The Nailz never showed.
Mt. Man must smelled to bad.

:banana

You gotta hand it to Tony. He's got the 'High Plains Drifter' stare down cold.

If I were Nailz, I'd have bailed too.

Keep hiking Mountain Man and Hikernutt. You're doing great!

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:33
jester i think it only common curtisy to take me to the trail at any time you happen to be going. you know im allways packed and ready if you ever need a really anoying dingbat co rider.