PDA

View Full Version : Numb Big Toes

Penscal
06-21-2003, 12:55
A first after many years of hiking, did short weekend trip from Dicks Creek Gap to Bly gap and back over two days.

Unfortunately wore trail sneakers, instead of boots ( have done this successfully on AT below Dick's Creek with no problems).

Very slight feeling of numbness in big toes, right toe now back to normal, left toe still has that slight superficial numb feeling, any thoughts on why?

Stones and steep descents were an issue for feet on this trip, will wear my light weight boots in future.

thanks

:-?

Sleepy the Arab
06-21-2003, 17:23
Numb toes are caused by boots pinching nerves in the feet. Don't worry about this (unless your boots/runners are ill-fitting). It isn't permanant and usually goes away in anywhere from two weeks to several months later.

I first experienced this on my first multi-day outing in the Whites. Curiously, when I thru-hiked several years later, I did not experience this numbness.

illininagel
06-21-2003, 18:20
Maybe it could be considered an advantage to have numb feet on some of the longer hikes!

asmtroop3
06-22-2003, 06:51
Originally posted by illininagel
Maybe it could be considered an advantage to have numb feet on some of the longer hikes!

Pain is a wonderful indicator that your body needs something!

It can be permanent, it can be bad, it can be just what the other two said.

Check it out if it persists.

I'm not a Dr. on TV, I play one in real life:D

Rhody Bill
06-23-2003, 21:11
Numb large and second toes and pains in the balls of the feet are a common complaint. Stiffer boots, metatarsal pads (that go under the ball of the foot) and a lighter pack helped me a little. Mainly, though, I just learned to live with it. My toes were numb for more than a year after my thru.