PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Research Project 2007

jdavis
01-03-2007, 17:04
You are invited to volunteer for a research project that will examine the physiological and nutritional aspects of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am interested in individuals who plan to start their thru-hike this spring. To date, no studies have comprehensively studied the physiological and nutritional challenges that thru-hikers face. This information will be helpful for future long distance hikers and the scientific community.

The plan is to include a variety of pretests in Georgia before you start on the trail and in Maine when you complete your hike. All of the tests are non-invasive. Testing will include aerobic capacity, muscle strength, and body composition. In order to examine the physiological changes on the trail, several measurements would be done during your hike. On the trail testing will include heart rate, blood pressure, steps taken, and body temperature.

Please contact me if you are interested in more details of the study. Thank you for considering this important project.

John Davis

Dr. John E. Davis
Department of Exercise and Health Science
Alma College Alma, MI 48801
E-mail: [email protected] Phone: 989-463-7158

Boat Drinks
01-03-2007, 17:20
I just e-mailed you.:)

chicote
01-08-2007, 15:24
Email sent

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 16:08
Is there any compensation?

Yes. The knowledge that you have helped others.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 16:46
I meant something actually worth something.
So did I.

The Weasel

TJ aka Teej
01-08-2007, 16:54
To date, no studies have comprehensively studied the physiological and nutritional challenges that thru-hikers face.

Are you sure about that, Dr. Davis?
Welcome to WhiteBlaze
:welcome

And please, if you're not Dr. Davis, try to refrain from answering questions directed to him.

Tha Wookie
01-08-2007, 17:43
You are invited to volunteer for a research project that will examine the physiological and nutritional aspects of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am interested in individuals who plan to start their thru-hike this spring. To date, no studies have comprehensively studied the physiological and nutritional challenges that thru-hikers face. This information will be helpful for future long distance hikers and the scientific community.

The plan is to include a variety of pretests in Georgia before you start on the trail and in Maine when you complete your hike. All of the tests are non-invasive. Testing will include aerobic capacity, muscle strength, and body composition. In order to examine the physiological changes on the trail, several measurements would be done during your hike. On the trail testing will include heart rate, blood pressure, steps taken, and body temperature.

Please contact me if you are interested in more details of the study. Thank you for considering this important project.

John Davis

Dr. John E. Davis
Department of Exercise and Health Science
Alma College Alma, MI 48801
E-mail: [email protected] Phone: 989-463-7158

Sounds interesting. I'd like to hear the results, review a draft.

Nate Olive
PhD Candidate/hiker trash
Warnell School of Forest Resources
University of Georgia

troglobil
01-08-2007, 17:50
Yes. The knowledge that you have helped others.

The Weasel
Be careful The Weasel, these tyes of statements will make folks doubt you are really a lawyer :D

StarLyte
01-08-2007, 17:54
"Nate Olive
PhD Candidate/hiker trash
Warnell School of Forest Resources
University of Georgia"

I love that second line Wookie. Me too.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 18:40
Be careful The Weasel, these tyes of statements will make folks doubt you are really a lawyer :D

More than a lawyer, I'm a Scout. The Slogan means things.

The Weasel

troglobil
01-08-2007, 19:36
did you go all the way to Eagle? When I was a kid I refused to join, I preferred not to have the group mentality, more the loner type. Now wished one of my kids were a boy so I could do the scout thing.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 19:41
did you go all the way to Eagle? When I was a kid I refused to join, I preferred not to have the group mentality, more the loner type. Now wished one of my kids were a boy so I could do the scout thing.
Yes, I did. And been a Scoutmaster for most of 30 years. You don't have to have the "group" mentality to make Eagle; in fact, most Eagles are far more self-sufficient than those who aren't.

By the way...if your kids are girls, the Girl Scouts teach the same skills and need members AND leaders. I've been one also, and you'll be missing out if you don't!

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
01-08-2007, 19:44
"I've been one also......" says Weasel.

I'm assuming by this you mean a Girl Scout LEADER and not a Girl Scout.

If I'm mistaken, please feel free NOT to enlighten us, and no, I DON'T want to see photographs from your Girl Scout period! :D

troglobil
01-08-2007, 19:52
They are alredy grown, there is hope with grandkids though.

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 19:52
"I've been one also......" says Weasel.

I'm assuming by this you mean a Girl Scout LEADER and not a Girl Scout.

If I'm mistaken, please feel free NOT to enlighten us, and no, I DON'T want to see photographs from your Girl Scout period! :D

Damn, trapped by my own poor choice of words.

I'll leave you to your own imagination, Jack. But the photos of me in the Gallery here show me at a time while I was still registered in the GSUSA.

The Weasel

The Weasel
01-08-2007, 19:54
They are alredy grown, there is hope with grandkids though.

Trog (and others) --

If you have an interest in backpacking and Scouting, even if you're an antique like me and Trog, call a nearby Troop (Boy OR Girl) and tell them you're an accomplished backpacker. Offer to do a demonstration. They'll love you for it.

Sorry, Doctor, for taking this off topic. Blame it on a K College grad dissing Alma (which is a FINE school...except that it's not "K").

The Weasel

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2007, 22:55
To date, no studies have comprehensively studied the physiological and nutritional challenges that thru-hikers face.

Dr. Davis,

Didn't Karen Lutz do a nutritional study of thru-hikers in 1982 for her Master's Thesis? :-? I don't believe she measured or quantified physiological performance of individual subjects, but I know she compiled and analyzed a lot of data regarding hiker weight, body fat, caloric intake and requirements, pack weight, etc.

Not "dissing" your study, as it may well be more comprehensive especially regarding physiological requirements and performance - I simply remember her study concluding the trail is a no win situation from a caloric and nutrition standpoint - you just can't carry enough food, or the necessary ones, to meet the energy expenditure and physical repair requirements needed for a thru-hike. All the subject hikers lost weight; most women lost fat and gained muscle mass as did some men, but many men also lost muscle mass, particularly upper body mass. Their were some interesting conclusions regarding the caloric cost of trying to carry increased food supply vs the energy required to do so. One of these conclusions was that one had to take advantage of eating(gorging) as much town food as possible, just to keep from being completely malnourished.

I would certainly be very interested in the results of your study and I'm sure you'll get more than enough volunteers. I wish I were in a position to be one this year.:)

[I do not know if this was/is the same Karen Lutz who is (or was) a representative with the mid-Atlantic ATC.]

Tha Wookie
01-08-2007, 23:03
Dr. Davis,

Didn't Karen Lutz do a nutritional study of thru-hikers in 1982 for her Master's Thesis? :-? I don't believe she measured or quantified physiological performance of individual subjects, but I know she compiled and analyzed a lot of data regarding hiker weight, body fat, caloric intake and requirements, pack weight, etc.

Not "dissing" your study, as it may well be more comprehensive especially regarding physiological requirements and performance - I simply remember her study concluding the trail is a no win situation from a caloric and nutrition standpoint - you just can't carry enough food, or the necessary ones, to meet the energy expenditure and physical repair requirements needed for a thru-hike. All the subject hikers lost weight; most women lost fat and gained muscle mass as did some men, but many men also lost muscle mass, particularly upper body mass. Their were some interesting conclusions regarding the caloric cost of trying to carry increased food supply vs the energy required to do so. One of these conclusions was that one had to take advantage of eating(gorging) as much town food as possible, just to keep from being completely malnourished.

I would certainly be very interested in the results of your study and I'm sure you'll get more than enough volunteers. I wish I were in a position to be one this year.:)

[I do not know if this was/is the same Karen Lutz who is (or was) a representative with the mid-Atlantic ATC.]

I certainly feel like my body went through a complete metamorphasis on the trail. In some ways it wasn't perfect, but there certainly is a remarkable physical/psychological/spiritual effect of doing something as strange as thru-hiking.

Certainly a phenomenon worth understanding better.

jdavis
01-17-2007, 16:13
Yes, Karen did a masters thesis in 1982 on the topic. I have had several conversations with Karen and she agrees that it was not comprehensive. Also, the focus of her study was more nutritional, this study will include some nutrition but will also include many physiological tests as well. So far I have about 20 subjects who have volunteered. It is the same Karen Lutz that works at the Mid-Atlantic ATC.

Thanks for your interest in the study.

John Davis

Sly
01-17-2007, 16:49
Not terribly invasive, can you check cholesterol while you're at it?

Boo-Boo 2007
02-20-2007, 14:44
I have sent you an e-mail. Would love to take part in your "study".:sun

Boat Drinks
02-20-2007, 16:46
I got one e-mail from Davis months ago, no follow up, did the project get scrapped?

1Pint
02-20-2007, 17:27
I got one e-mail from Davis months ago, no follow up, did the project get scrapped?

Hey Johnny - I don't think it got scrapped. He was very prompt when I sent him a follow-up question about the possibility of carrying equipment. You might want to try emailing him. The impression I got is that he'd work something out with each hiker depending upon their departure date.
Whatever you find out, would you let us know?
Thanks,
Laura

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 11:57
From my e-mail response:

I hope the preparations for your thru-hike are going well. I wanted to finalize
plans for the pretesting for the Appalachian Trail Research Project.

My plans are to arrive at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Georgia (near Springer
Mountain) on March 8th or 9th and stay there until April 11. I will be starting the
pretesting at that time. For those of you who are staying at the Hiker Hostel, I
will see you there and have you fill out the consent forms and start the testing
at that point.

For those of you who are not staying at the Hiker Hostel, please let me know
where you will be staying in the area before you start the hike so I can
coordinate a time and location for the testing. The testing gear is somewhat
portable so I can do the testing pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for your interest in the project -

John Davis

Dr. John E. Davis
Charles A. Dana Professor of Health Science
Alma College
Alma, MI 48801
989-463-7158