PDA

View Full Version : SOBO 2007...where ya at?

Minervan12
01-03-2007, 18:58
I've been looking through the posts for class of 2007for some other folks heading sobo this coming summer and didn't see any exact posts like this one.

My group is starting out on June 13th (the group includes Me, my partner Reuben, and our dog Violet.)

Anyone out there going? It'd be nice to meet some folks (at least online) before going up there since it is the "lonely" direction. Also, I'd like to get an idea of how the attitudes of southbounders towards dogs on the trail are going to be. I know it is quite controversial on this site and wanted to put some feelers out there.

Respond or send a private message!

otis1912
01-03-2007, 20:08
i'm planning to start my hike around the same time.

Phreak
01-04-2007, 00:10
I'm starting on August 4th. I like to hike light and fast... so chance are I'll see on the trail.

Good luck on your hike!

jkashley1234
01-08-2007, 12:33
Starting June 1st, hope to see you on the trail, "And your little dog to". :)

southwalker
01-16-2007, 17:45
I'll be there June 1st. Turning in my report cards, packing up, flying out, and hitting the trail.

On another note, have any of you found good advice in particular for southbounders? I'm thinking of starting a new thread about southbound advice, but didn't want to be redundant.

Johnny Swank
01-16-2007, 18:27
There's a few of SOBO's around here. Just throw up a question and I'm sure your question will get answered. I'm happy to tell you what I know from my SOBO thru-hike if you want to PM directly as well.

kritter
01-17-2007, 14:42
That's the exact day I was planning on heading out! Guess I'll be seeing you up there if I keep on schedual(highly doubt it). I'm going solo and was a bit worried I wouldn't see enough people, but latley I've been taking note of allot of folks starting off around from the 10th- 20th. Good stuff. And I love seeing pups on the trail, they brighten my day.

Minervan12
01-20-2007, 09:42
wow...a bunch of you are starting June 1st. Hope we're not starting too late. We're planning on a five month hike. We're from Georgia and excited about hiking home. Otis____ is also from Georgia, which was nice to find out. Where are the rest of you guys from?

Glad to know that Violet will have some supporters on the trail! She really is a great dog...

southwalker
01-21-2007, 11:42
I've had to change my date due to some family conflicts. I will be leaving now on the 1st of July and planning on getting to Springer by mid November. I plan to be a faster-than-average hiker, so hopefully I'll see some of you on the trail! Maybe this way I'll miss some of those much-hyped black flies.

onicoe
01-21-2007, 23:40
hi! i realized today that haven't been on this site in a while. i'm busy trying to finish my last semester of college before i leave for my hike. i was going nobo, but my situation changed and now i'm SOBO.

i can't wait to hit the trail, so i'll probably be leaving within the first week of june. i hope to see some of you out there. [:

TJ aka Teej
01-22-2007, 00:04
Hi MEGA Hikers! Be sure to check out the Southbounders forum :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422

warraghiyagey
01-22-2007, 05:23
Hey to all the 2007 SOBOs, 1st timers and repeaters.

I'll be checking out the SOBO forum for sure (thanks Teej). With that said, I'll be heading out from Katahdin the 1st week of June. Last summer I left on June 29th and hiked for 9 weeks. I have to start over from Katahdin, I don't want to miss those mountains.
As for a SOBO hike that begins any time in June, loneliness should not be a problem (especially if you have a little dog). There are plenty of SOBO's on the trail around then and in your first week you'll start meeting growing numbers of NOBOs. Many nights there will be enough company that the shelter will be full.
Most hikers like dogs, even more so if the dog are of the more casual/less hyper persuasion. In two months I probably meet three dozen dogs that were on a thru-hike with their people. They were great fuzz therapy at camp in the evening.
The only issues I know that you would need to plan for is their banishment from Baxter State Park and Shenandoah NF or the Smokies? Probably everyone else knows the exact answer to that.
As a SOBO you're in the great minority of thru-hikers - which I think is part of the attraction of starting at Katahdin. The 100 mile wilderness is a challenging start but if you have any doubts they will be answered when you get to Monson (stay at Shaws and eat at Lulu's at the corner store). Also, if you're planning to use a bounce box at any point on the trail the state of Maine would be a good place to have one as re-supply is expensive and the variety limited.
Other than that - enjoy the SOBO experience. Those first steps on the trail are the beginning of a certain natural magic.
That is why I go back.:) :)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2007, 05:27
Hey to all the 2007 SOBOs, 1st timers and repeaters.

I'll be checking out the SOBO forum for sure (thanks Teej). With that said, I'll be heading out from Katahdin the 1st week of June. Last summer I left on June 29th and hiked for 9 weeks. I have to start over from Katahdin, I don't want to miss those mountains.
As for a SOBO hike that begins any time in June, loneliness should not be a problem (especially if you have a little dog). There are plenty of SOBO's on the trail around then and in your first week you'll start meeting growing numbers of NOBOs. Many nights there will be enough company that the shelter will be full.
Most hikers like dogs, even more so if the dog are of the more casual/less hyper persuasion. In two months I probably meet three dozen dogs that were on a thru-hike with their people. They were great fuzz therapy at camp in the evening.
The only issues I know that you would need to plan for is their banishment from Baxter State Park and Shenandoah NF or the Smokies? Probably everyone else knows the exact answer to that.
As a SOBO you're in the great minority of thru-hikers - which I think is part of the attraction of starting at Katahdin. The 100 mile wilderness is a challenging start but if you have any doubts they will be answered when you get to Monson (stay at Shaws and eat at Lulu's at the corner store). Also, if you're planning to use a bounce box at any point on the trail the state of Maine would be a good place to have one as re-supply is expensive and the variety limited.
Other than that - enjoy the SOBO experience. Those first steps on the trail are the beginning of a certain natural magic.
That is why I go back.:) :)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2007, 05:28
Woops. Not sure how that happened. My B.

otis1912
01-22-2007, 09:50
I'm getting pretty excited. Just got back from a weekend practice hike and ran into some NOBOs. I left out of Neels Sat. morn and ran into Zero at the Walasi yi center. He said there were about 12 ahead of him. Looks like we may have some finishers as we are starting. Zero is shooting to finish around june-ish

Stonewall
01-23-2007, 12:42
Hey all starting about June 15-18 so i'll see ya up there