PDA

View Full Version : Problem with gore-tex footwear.

Earl Grey
01-03-2007, 19:27
An unintended consequence of keeping water out is that if somehow water does get in, it stays in. I got a small amount of water in my vasque hiking shoe and its still kind of damp inside and thats being beside a heater all day. I guess the moral of this post is if you have gore-tex stuff dont let it get wet on the inside.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2007, 19:29
You've pretty much described why I won't buy any gore-tex footwear. Just how do keep water out when it rains for days on end?

Two Speed
01-03-2007, 19:42
I've bought my first, and probably last pair of gore-tex boots. Never had a major problem with blisters until I started wearing those boots. I think the gore-tex holds more moisture inside the boot in almost all conditions, giving me problems. The only thing that seems to help is lots of "boots off" breaks. That seems to control the blister problem but eats up a lot of time, and is problematic if it's raining, which is when those stinkin' gore-tex boots are supposed to be doing me the most good.

That said, I am considering a pair of gore-tex trail runners, which probably qualifies me as a glutton for punishment.

Earl Grey
01-03-2007, 19:49
I dont think constant raining would be a problem because I walked through many puddle and small streams with them on and never got wet. They only got wet because I had to step in a creek to get across and the depth was more than how far the shoe came up. Before that point I stayed very dry.

I havent tried them in hot/humid conditions though so this may change.

Footslogger
01-03-2007, 19:51
They're actually better out west. You hit on the source of the problem though. Same thing that keeps water OUT also keeps water in.

If it's hot and humid inside the shoe and hot and humid outside there isn't anywhere for the moisture vapor to go.

'Slogger

gdwelker
01-04-2007, 12:07
I'm a big fan of neoprene like socks, depending on them, rather than the shoes, to stay dry. I have used seal skinz socks with good success. I typically have very sweaty feet, and have found the seal skinz seem to allow enough perspiration to pass through so as not to be a problem. I have worn them directly on my feet, or have used a sock liner between them and my feet. Either way seems to work.

Kerosene
01-04-2007, 15:25
Wow, I had a much different experience with the Seal Skinz and my sweaty feet. When I pulled my foot out of them I also poured a few ounces of warm sweat out with them. There's no way that perspiration passes through fast enough for me.

Gore-tex is great for that day hike or weekend trip, but after a week of walking in the rain and mud the water will find its way inside (even if you don't step in the bog or stream!). The problem is that it has become very difficult to find a well constructed boot that doesn't incorporate GTX. A buddy who thru-hiked in 2004 eventually jettisoned his trail runners because they didn't offer enough protection from the rocks and he was tired of having wet feet every morning just from brushing against dewy grass.

rswanson
01-04-2007, 15:32
I read a comment on some forum where the poster summed up Gore-Tex boots perfectly. I'm paraphrasing his comment: "The porblem with Gore-Tex footwear is the big hole in the shoe- at the top!"

Personally, I have no idea how anyone keeps water out of their boots or shoes in any kind of wet weather or even minor water crossings. For me, wet feet is just a part of hiking I have to accept. I go with the most breathable, 100% synthetic shoes and thin, quick drying socks as I can get. I can't recall ever having a blister with this system.

Spcshiznit
01-04-2007, 16:38
Crap...

I bought these boots a couple of months ago for my hike this summer. Am I pretty much screwed?

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/ba72b0d8a82030a6741f2bfa467bee3d/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/790/ProdId/6464

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 16:56
Crap...

I bought these boots a couple of months ago for my hike this summer. Am I pretty much screwed?

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/ba72b0d8a82030a6741f2bfa467bee3d/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/790/ProdId/6464

====================================

I don't think so personally. I started out in a similar boot made by Asolo in 2003. You just need to know that if they do soak out they will take quite a while to dry out.

I swithced to a trail shoe in Damascus and hiked it all the way to Glencliff, where I went back to the boot. We had an inordinate amount of rain that year and there were weeks on end when the boot was visably wet. I remember getting to Caratunk and pulling off the wet boots. Paul at the Caratunk house put them next to his wood burning stove all night. That was the one of the few times since starting out at Springer they were REALLY dry.

P.S. I still own that pair of boots and wear them ocassionally out here in Wyoming. They are GREAT for snowshoeing !!

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
01-04-2007, 17:30
I've bought my first, and probably last pair of gore-tex boots. Never had a major problem with blisters until I started wearing those boots. I think the gore-tex holds more moisture inside the boot in almost all conditions, giving me problems. The only thing that seems to help is lots of "boots off" breaks. That seems to control the blister problem but eats up a lot of time, and is problematic if it's raining, which is when those stinkin' gore-tex boots are supposed to be doing me the most good.

That said, I am considering a pair of gore-tex trail runners, which probably qualifies me as a glutton for punishment.
My experience was exactly the opposite, I've worn LOWA Renegade GTX low hikers for over 3 years (2 pair) along with Wigwam merino wool socks and have never had a problem with moisture in the shoe. The set up was a bit warm in the summer, but again no problems whatsoever. During a spring basement flood I worked for about 4 hours in 2 inch deep water and was amazed at how dry my socks were even though the nubuck outers were soaked through. They seem to dry at the same rate as regular boots when I stepped in water over the boot top. This may be more of a testimonial for LOWA rather than goretex, but I'm overjoyed with everything about them but the cost. I'm currently alternating between a pair of renegades and LOWA tempests (non-GTX) for daily wear and there's no difference in dry weather so far