PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound feasible?

superflatz
01-03-2007, 22:43
I sure hope ya'll aren't getting annoyed at these questions. I really value your opinions.

Here's my idea. My wife and I want to hike alot of the AT this year, at least till July. I have a nice RV. I don't care to spend alot of money on hostels or hotels. So I was thinking:

Hike 2-3 days, then turn around and hike back. Move the RV (after spending a night there). Hike 2-3 days and back again. If I do it correctly after I move the RV, I can hike south for 2-3 days - reverse course (that would put me at my starting point). Then hike North - reverse again. This way I'm only moving the RV every 6-8 days.

I know I won't be able to do the whole trail; but I am retired and being in a hurry doesn't interest me again. I am finding that when you reverse course, the trail looks completely different - must be gettin old.

This would eliminate the problem of having to get back to my car or RV after hiking for longer periods.

Does it sound logical, or am I off my nut? Has anyone tried something similar before?

Sorry for the long rant and dumb q's.
bob

Bravo
01-03-2007, 22:49
Sure not my style but why not?

You could do that.

Blissful
01-03-2007, 22:56
We met a guy near Harper's Ferry who was day hiking the whole AT. He would start out and hike until he got to a road intersection then return to his car. Then he would move his car to that intersection and hike the next part. He had already completed the southern part of the trail and was working on VA.

Cheesewhiz
01-03-2007, 23:21
I thru hiked the AT this past year and I would be more than willing to drive you and your wife, prepare meals for you, organize you next resupply, and stand guard over the RV and protect it from hooligians and thugs. In areas the AT allows, I will slackpack you throughout the days so there is no need to carry no more than a daypack.
:-? All this for a negotiable fee!

rafe
01-03-2007, 23:26
Here's my idea. My wife and I want to hike alot of the AT this year, at least till July. I have a nice RV. I don't care to spend alot of money on hostels or hotels. So I was thinking....

Bob, if you're fit enough to hike, you're fit enough to ride a bike. I've done many of my 3-day and 4-day sections like this:
Drive to trailhead A and deposit my pack in the woods near the trailhead.
Continue by car to trailhead B and park.
Remove bicycle from rack, ride it back to trailhead A.
Park bike in the woods (locked to a tree.)
Hike back to car at trailhead B. However many days it takes.
When hike is done, drive back to trailhead A, pick up bike, and go home.You could use a variation of this procedure, along with your RV, to avoid having to backtrack. I can do 12 mph on my bike, so the bike ride for a 3-day hike might take three or four hours, tops.

Bravo
01-03-2007, 23:33
Bob, if you're fit enough to hike, you're fit enough to ride a bike. I've done many of my 3-day and 4-day sections like this:

Drive to trailhead A and deposit my pack in the woods near the trailhead.
Continue by car to trailhead B and park.
Remove bicycle from rack, ride it back to trailhead A.
Park bike in the woods (locked to a tree.)
Hike back to car at trailhead B. However many days it takes.
When hike is done, drive back to trailhead A, pick up bike, and go home.You could use a variation of this procedure, along with your RV, to avoid having to backtrack. I can do 12 mph on my bike, so the bike ride for a 3-day hike might take three or four hours, tops.

That's a super simple great idea. Good work.:)

LeeF
01-03-2007, 23:39
I would bet that with a little planning you could find someone else who's section hiking those same areas. Then you could drop them off at point A, park at the other end point B, hike pass them in the middle, and have them drive back to pick you up. It would need to be someone you trust and who could drive the RV but it would save a lot of miles of double hiking.

Cheesewhiz
01-03-2007, 23:43
OR the ultimate slackpack you hike North after being dropped off by your wife, she drives to the northern end of the section and hikes south. when you meet you swap keys. now you finish hiking north, pick up the RV and drive south to pick up your wife.

RAT
01-03-2007, 23:45
Personally I would not feel safe leaving my RV parked unattended at any place on the AT or elsewhere. I would definitely consider looking into Cheesewhiz`s offer or finding someone who is also hiking that section or something to that effect. OK idea on using the bycycles but leaving packs and such stashed along the woods is not good idea either. Just my opinion. Good luck on your journey !

RAT

rafe
01-03-2007, 23:46
That's a super simple great idea. Good work.:)

Thanks. I've probably covered about 500 miles of the AT with this method. Had some interesting adventures on those bike rides. BTW, has anyone seen my bike helmet? I think I left it by the trailhead at B-Hill Road near Andover....

map man
01-04-2007, 00:02
Superflatz, I've found that on multi-day hikes I don't mind covering the same ground in two different directions (the funny thing is, I DO mind it more on day hikes for some reason -- for those I always prefer loop trails). This past summer I had to back track fourteen miles over ground I'd just covered the day before, to catch a shuttle ride (the shuttle didn't go all the way to the north end of the trail), and I had just as much fun the second time around. So your idea of hiking out for three days and then heading back to the RV sounds fine to me. You just might want to be choosy about where you decide to park the RV. Others here at WB know a lot more than I do about particularly preferable places to park, and the places to stay away from, I'm sure.

moxie
01-04-2007, 00:11
:banana Have your wife drop you at a trailhead. You start hiking north. Your wife drives to the next trailhead 12 to 15 miles up the trail. Parks the RV and starts hiking south with the keys in her pack. About noon you meet, she gives you the keys and after lunch keeps going south to the starting point. You proceed north and when you get to the RV you either have the option of driving back to the trailhead and picking up your wife and do the same thing the next day, or, leave your wife a day's walk away, go to the nearest town, pick up a bimbo and drive your RV to Vegas for a really great summer. If you choose option two, and you can anywhere along the trail if you get sick of hiking, Circus-Circus has a great RV park in Vegas and has very reasonable prices.

copythat
01-04-2007, 00:42
http://tinyurl.com/yxsj4x

:D

Singe03
01-04-2007, 02:42
To each their own, not my style at all but that wasn't the question. You asked about feasabililty and as far as I know its feasable if you have good maps and can find all the road crossings to stash the RV.

In the end, it is all about what makes you happy and if this plan is your cup of tea, more power to you!

Topcat
01-04-2007, 07:38
Check out Big Red's Journal on trail journals. I seem to remeber that he did a stretch with a partner by dropping partner at trail head, diving to predetermined end point and hiking the opposite direction, doing a key exchange where they met up and then getting picked up later.

Hana_Hanger
01-04-2007, 07:45
Wow sounds like a cozy comfortable idea to me....a real bed and showers and your home with you all the way!!! Only thing I see as a problem is leaving the Motorhome park for 6 to 8 days at a time...possible break-ins and senseless damage...seems like the only risk.
That way you and your wife get to enjoy hiking together.
Or Cheesewhiz offers sounds very tempting...wow to wear only a daypack....:D

Johnny Swank
01-04-2007, 08:36
I've done the bike shuttle for several trips as well. Highly recommended, as it make things much easier on the logistics end. Then there's always the hitch-hitch option, but I can't condone that as I've had mixed experience on that end. 99% good, but that 1% got pretty wierd.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 08:45
I thought I was the only one who walked in one direction for a few days and then back again. I ran into a guy who was doing what you talked about with the camper, except he would get his wife to drop him off in the morning and then she would go antique shopping all day and then park at the next highway and meet him each night.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 10:01
::: Mrs. Dino furiously takes notes:::

We have seriously considered doing something like Terrapin's idea in post #5 with a small motorcycle or large gas-powered scooter.

I used to know another couple in my pre-dino days (with my ex) that loved to hike. We would drive to opposite ends of a hike and exchange keys when we met. We would arrange to meet back at a local restuarant or similar spot. Of course, you don't want to turn your keys over to just anyone....

rafe
01-04-2007, 10:07
We have seriously considered doing something like Terrapin's idea in post #5 with a small motorcycle or large gas-powered scooter.

For a long time, I seriously considered buying some form or lightweight motorized transportation to replace the bike. Never quite got around to it.

waterboy99
01-04-2007, 16:58
If you plan on parking your moterhome at trail heads I would reccommend that you be very careful in the general Damascus area both South and North. There have been quite a few break in of cars this past couple of years. A moterhome sitting at a trail head for several days might be just too much of a good thing for the wrong folks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 17:28
We have toyed with the idea of getting a beat up looking van and redoing the inside with a futon plus air matress, heat, a kitchen & a marine toilet. This plus one of those Coleman propane shower-on-demand things would meet our needs. There are places I wouldn't consider parking a nice motorhome (like 19E in TN and outside of Damascus)

rafe
01-04-2007, 17:31
FWIW, with bicycles, you could park the RV somewhere other than at the trailheads... maybe at a nearby business, motel, etc. In general, leaving an auto unattended for more than a day or two at trailheads (anywhere along the AT) is asking for trouble.

superflatz
01-05-2007, 02:05
I'm sorry I didn't make my plan totally clear. I have NO intention of leaving the Rv at a trailhead.
It's a 5th wheel; so, I'd park it at a campground (I have several memberships - so the cost is only $8/nt) and then take the truck only to the trailhead.

When my wife and I retired in 2005, we sold our home, bought this nice RV and are fulltiming it around the country. So we bring our house with us and live wherever we want - the beach, desert, mountains or wherever.

I do like the idea of a scooter/bike. That would make hiking the entire trail more feasible/possible in one year. It would involve a bit more than just backpacking. But, at least we can sleep in our "house", cook, do laundry or whatever, whenever we want.

Great ideas guys/gals. That's why I asked - you all are awesome!!

hopefulhiker
01-05-2007, 03:03
When I hiked in 2005, Risk self shuttled himself with a bike.

Johnny Swank
01-05-2007, 09:42
We met a few full-time RV'ers when we paddled the Mississippi. They all were loving it!

superflatz
01-05-2007, 10:00
We met a few full-time RV'ers when we paddled the Mississippi. They all were loving it!

It is pretty cool.

DawnTreader
01-05-2007, 12:39
Wow,
great way for a couple to experience the AT in my opinion. Let us know how it goes!!

maxNcathy
01-05-2007, 12:50
bob,

If your idea is your ideal to you and yours then it sounds sound to me.

I wonder if your RV and contents would be safe parked for any length of time.

Not long ago I considered flying to Atlanta, hiking north from Springer Mt.for 3 weeks, then turning around and hiking back to Springer Mt and flying back home from Atlanta.

The same as you only different.

Now my wife is driving down to hike with me a week so we go home in the car together.

See you soon, Sandalwood.