PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Add 15+ Degrees

Bravo
01-03-2007, 23:31
So last week I found out just how much of a Cold sleeper the Mrs. is. She's got a 20 degree bag and it was about 35 at night. She was sleeping in midweight smartwool longjohns top and bottom. She also had a hat. She was shivering until I gave up my bag for 2 nights which I would like to avoid at all cost in the future.

I don't want to buy a new bag so what kind of liners would you recommend to heat up what we've got.

I've got a Thermawrap jacket that I love and I was wondering if there are any bag liners that are like that jacket. Very warm, light, compact. I guess I could go with fleece but it doesn't compress well. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

buckowens
01-03-2007, 23:56
I had some extra Moosejaw reward points, and used them for a silk liner for my 15 degree Sierra Designs bag. No chance to use it yet, but the propaganda says it will add (lower) the bags rating by as much as 9 degrees. Also nice to use as a light sheet in warmer weather. My only experience is with silk underwear (for hunting! as I catch enough crap from the hunting buddies, believe me...), and they keep me toasty in a deer stand on the coldest morning.

JimSproul
01-04-2007, 00:04
EMS has their over bag on sale. It is expensive but.....

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442587812

I have a bivy sack (REI minimalist) that works well in shelters and add 10 - 15 degrees for me.

I now use a sierra design bag that has lids that zip on that add warmth. I bought it on ebay for a good price and have added lids and their plain floor that makes a "speed bag" when used with a lid. Works great in summer.

copythat
01-04-2007, 00:15
i had the same experience she did ... 20* bag, temps at freezing, me shivering despite base layer and insulated jacket. have since added a scrap of closed-cell foam INSIDE my bag, under my feet. (maybe 16 inches by the width of the bag, cut tapered to stay in place.) warmed me right up.

i also have a tricot liner from oware. feels nice, adds a little warmth, but not 15*, to be sure. and i tend to get wrapped up in it if i sleep too long. (i start spinning in my bag in the early a.m.)

Frosty
01-04-2007, 00:36
She's got a 20 degree bag and Bags from some manufacturers are evidently rated by the marketing department, because they have no basis in reality. I have a 35* bag (Kelty) in which I am cold at 45-50*, and a 30* bag (WM) that keeps me warm in the twenties.

It may not be so much you wife as the bag in question.

cutman11
01-04-2007, 02:34
Two Words : Western Mountaineering. The bag you buy from them will perform to below its rating. Problem solved. And I'd bet after she gets one, you'll want one too!

JJB
01-04-2007, 03:03
I have Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor liner that is realy good. They claim that it'll add 15' to a bag. I don't know if I would go that far,but it does add quite a bit of warmth though. It's not cheap. About 50 bucks.
A lot cheaper than a Western Mountaineering bag. Ever though that would be a good fix, cause they are probly one of the best out there, not everyone $400+ to spend on a sleeping bag.Peace. JJB.

Hana_Hanger
01-04-2007, 06:58
I had the exact same experience as your wife...only my bag claimed 15 degrees. So I added the silk sleeping bag liner and still froze at 28 degrees one night and 33 degrees another night.

Only the heavy fleece liner seemed to work and also the down quilt...both of those add almost 2 lbs!! ughh

So I gave up and gave myself an early Happy Anniversary gift and got a MontBell U.L. Super Stretch #2 down bag rated at 24 degrees comfort range. It is by far warmer than any bag I own and very comfortable as well as LARGE and ROOMY. On sale it sent me back $228 but they do come on sale and most on Backpackinglight site claim the #3 bag is plenty warm down to 20 degrees.

The WM sleeping bag I wanted would of been in the $500 range so I feel this was a great compromise...or hee hee a way to convince myself to buy the MontBell bag while on sale. :D

peter_pan
01-04-2007, 10:14
Mt Roger and Biker/Hiker quilts both make great over bags, esp with the Down to Earth Pad Conector... Girth is approx 80 inches in this configuration...B/HQ is on big sale now.

Pan

LIhikers
01-04-2007, 16:57
i had the same experience she did ... 20* bag, temps at freezing, me shivering despite base layer and insulated jacket. have since added a scrap of closed-cell foam INSIDE my bag, under my feet. (maybe 16 inches by the width of the bag, cut tapered to stay in place.) warmed me right up.

In winter I switch to a full length pad that keeps my feet off the ground and I believe it makes a BIG difference. The rest of the year I use a 3/4 lenght pad. Make sure your wife is on a good full length pad before spending big bucks for a new bag.

TurkeyBacon
01-05-2007, 08:48
One good possibility could be that she was trying to avoid getting up to pee in the middle of the night and did not drink enough. It makes a huge difference to be properly hydrated. You just need to support her when she has to get up at night. Offer to carry the flashlight and then turn your back type thing. Also try making a hot water bottle out of a Nalgene and hot water. Maybe offer her some caffeine free hot chocolate after boiling the water. It may not be the problem, but it will get you some major bonus points and keep her heart warmer.
Other than that, a new bag, an internal liner, or an external over bag.
TB

hammock engineer
01-05-2007, 13:54
While on the peeing subject. I didn't know this until I read someone else's post on this, but it make sense when I think about it.

If you are consistantly going to the bathroom during the night, more than usual, then your body is too cold. It cannot keep the urine in your bladder at your correct body temp. This causes your body to want to get rid of it, hence peeing more.

Just a little something else to use as a gauge on whether or not you are too cold or not.

Programbo
01-05-2007, 20:09
Where were you sleeping?..You realize that when they give temp ratings on bags they assume that you are in a nice snug tent with good ground insulation and there isn`t much air movement....Plus they assume you are filling the bag up totally and have the hood drawn,etc...AND that you are sleeping on your back...In other words ideal conditions.....What type of bag is it?..They make (Or you can make)a simple light weight liner to fit in it if it isn`t to snug..This will add the 15 degrees or so you need

BooBoo
01-05-2007, 23:33
If the Mrs. does get a new bag make sure she gets one of the female specific model. The ladies models usually have moe insulation in the feet area and are wider in the hip area.

hopefulhiker
01-05-2007, 23:36
I like my Western Mountaineering bag.. Cold was not an issue. Also try an insulated air mattress and a silk liner.. and a down sweater