PDA

View Full Version : music on the trail

jwang
01-04-2007, 00:27
whats up all...just wondering if any other musicians will be hitting the trail in march. i`m phsyced about the trail but theres no possible way i could go 6 months w/o a musical outlet. i`ll be packin a harmonica...anyone else thinkin along the same line...lemme know. Also, i see a lot of...i`m gonna hike this many miles or whatever on here. I hiked w/ a group of thru-hikers for 3 weeks last year. If theres one thing i learned it was to take your time, dont plan to much. Hiking 5 or 6 miles and comming to a breath taking, inspiring spot on top of a mountian and spending the rest of your day there with a few friends ...those are the days you'll remember for the rest of your life...not the days you blew past those spots to meet your 20 mile a day quota!!! But in the deffense of anyone who doesnt agree with me...ANYONE willing to take on such an adventure...in my book...is an incredable individual.

RAT
01-04-2007, 01:17
Let me know when you are going to be near the trail between Erwin and Damascus and I will bring my guitar out and we can jamm some so you wont be jonesin` too much ! Did you know that the Brits call a harmonica a "Gob-Iron" ?? lol I totally agree with your comment:

Hiking 5 or 6 miles and comming to a breath taking, inspiring spot on top of a mountian and spending the rest of your day there with a few friends ...those are the days you'll remember for the rest of your life...not the days you blew past those spots to meet your 20 mile a day quota!!!

I have been preaching this for years, but seems that the majority of thru-hikers still dont have time to stop and talk, enjoy anything the trail has to offer , just looking northward and deathmarching to Big K ! Best of luck to you on your hike.

RAT

bfitz
01-04-2007, 05:33
Every once in a while you'll find a hiker with a guitar, but there'll be plenty of oppurtunities to jam, I promise!

WhoAh
01-04-2007, 10:36
Also, i see a lot of...i`m gonna hike this many miles or whatever on here. I hiked w/ a group of thru-hikers for 3 weeks last year. If theres one thing i learned it was to take your time, dont plan to much. Hiking 5 or 6 miles and comming to a breath taking, inspiring spot on top of a mountian and spending the rest of your day there with a few friends ...those are the days you'll remember for the rest of your life...not the days you blew past those spots to meet your 20 mile a day quota!!!

This has been my mantra as well. Like many have said in this forum "The journey is the destination". I intend to savor it... for many reasons - and not just 'cuz The Wife said that I had better enjoy this hike cause there probably ain't going to be another long distance one after it... no, not just because of that... ok, well maybe...

Maybe I shouldn't have bought her that "Trail Widow" t-shirt??

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 11:35
On March 30-April 1, I'll be camped at Rocky Bald (approx 124 miles from Springer) cookin' ham-n-eggs for thruhikers and anyone else who shows up. I'll have my guitar and flute and claves like last year. If you look at my pic of the base camp from last year, you'll see my guitar. You'll also see all the snow which is why no one jammed last year. It was too d----- cold! If you're droppin' by this year we'll jam if the weather is better. BTW, I like your philosophy about hiking and letting other people HYOH.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2007, 12:07
When I backpacked thru the Shenandoah Park I carried a B-flat clarinet the whole way wrapped in a down vest and only played it one time. Being a professional clarinetist in my early years(U.S. Air Force Band), I just couldn't add human music into an otherwise tranquil natural setting. After years of being around professional musicians and their demanding egos and their hungers-to-be-heard, I knew my pissant attempts at music merriment wasn't needed and in fact certainly disturbed other hikers.

The real noise pollution though does not come from musicians on the trail but from jet airplanes, car traffic and loud whining motorcycles.

Of course, when stealth camping music making(along with fire-making)must stop. I took a little soprano recorder with me on many trips and along with a big book of Irish fiddle tunes(perfect for the recorder), I spent hours whistling like a bird. I wasn't anywhere near an established trail but on a ridgetop and at my tipi on private land.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 12:29
When I backpacked thru the Shenandoah Park I carried a B-flat clarinet the whole way wrapped in a down vest and only played it one time. Being a professional clarinetist in my early years(U.S. Air Force Band), I just couldn't add human music into an otherwise tranquil natural setting. After years of being around professional musicians and their demanding egos and their hungers-to-be-heard, I knew my pissant attempts at music merriment wasn't needed and in fact certainly disturbed other hikers.

The real noise pollution though does not come from musicians on the trail but from jet airplanes, car traffic and loud whining motorcycles.

Of course, when stealth camping music making(along with fire-making)must stop. I took a little soprano recorder with me on many trips and along with a big book of Irish fiddle tunes(perfect for the recorder), I spent hours whistling like a bird. I wasn't anywhere near an established trail but on a ridgetop and at my tipi on private land.When you were playing your recorder, did the birds come around to check you out. I find that when I play my flute outside, the birds just have to come around to see who is making that noise. I used to play 1st chair clarinet in grade school. I was always being challenged by this smart girl and this other guy with a lot of, shall we say, feminine characteristics. Well, after a while I got tired of the challenges and when I turned around I noticed all these beautiful girls congregated around the last of the 3rd clarinets and I said to myself, that's where I want to be. No challenges, but, lots of pretty girls.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 12:30
whats up all...just wondering if any other musicians will be hitting the trail in march. i`m phsyced about the trail but theres no possible way i could go 6 months w/o a musical outlet. i`ll be packin a harmonica...

Can you actually PLAY it? Nothing worse than someday only being able to play half of one song. Ol Susanna sucks over and over.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2007, 12:52
When you were playing your recorder, did the birds come around to check you out. I find that when I play my flute outside, the birds just have to come around to see who is making that noise. I used to play 1st chair clarinet in grade school. I was always being challenged by this smart girl and this other guy with a lot of, shall we say, feminine characteristics. Well, after a while I got tired of the challenges and when I turned around I noticed all these beautiful girls congregated around the last of the 3rd clarinets and I said to myself, that's where I want to be. No challenges, but, lots of pretty girls.

If you mean birds in the British sense . . . .:-?

Naw, honestly I don't recall a greater increase in birds. I guess I was too wrapped up in the notes. But one time a spider crawled into the blockflote(recorder)and jumped out when I started playing. Peed myself.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 15:27
If you mean birds in the British sense . . . .:-?

Naw, honestly I don't recall a greater increase in birds. I guess I was too wrapped up in the notes. But one time a spider crawled into the blockflote(recorder)and jumped out when I started playing. Peed myself.I think that was the Byrds. Great story about the spider.:eek:

chicote
01-04-2007, 16:39
I've been thinking about making a small berimbau to bring. It's a bowed percusive instrument. I'll probably just play it when no one is around or if someone asks. It has a unique sound and I'm not sure everyone would like it or not.

Socrates
01-04-2007, 17:48
jwang - I'm not a harmonica fanatic, but Janis played one while Bobby sang the blues and Bob Dylan and Blues Traveler proved to me that it's not just for hobos on trains so congrats on keeping true to expression.
But I swear to god that the first bongo drum I hear is going to send me running and screaming naked into the woods, never to be heard from again. They cause evil flashbacks!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 17:51
But I swear to god that the first bongo drum I hear is going to send me running and screaming naked into the woods, never to be heard from again. They cause evil flashbacks!

Stay away from that ***d up drum circle at Trail Days then.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 18:17
I've been thinking about making a small berimbau to bring. It's a bowed percusive instrument. I'll probably just play it when no one is around or if someone asks. It has a unique sound and I'm not sure everyone would like it or not.I hope you come by and jam. You need to teach me how to use the musical bow. I got one as part of a grant I wrote for my school's music program (you can get a lot of money if you mention multi-cultural....just don't let on that white people have culture, too.) I also need someone to teach me how to play the tabla ala Ravi Shankar. :welcome :) :( :eek: Notice the multi-cultural icons.

chicote
01-04-2007, 18:19
I'll stop by for sure. I wish I could get my company to hook me up with some funding for it. I'd have 20 of them if I could afford it.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 18:22
OK, I'm bringin' the bow. I may have to look for the coin that came with it.

chicote
01-04-2007, 18:35
No need for a coin. Most players use smooth oval rocks. By the time we meet up I'm sure I'll have found a couple that meet my tastes.

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 19:56
Stay away from that ***d up drum circle at Trail Days then.Yeah, we're not having a drum circle at Rocky Bald. We do have a pit with live rattlesnakes that we jump in and grab as many as we can and dance with them (I know I have pi--ed somebody off-I hope a lighti

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 20:59
TIPI, I saw your pic of you dancing. Awesome! The headpiece was pretty amazing. Definately come to the jam.

Boat Drinks
01-04-2007, 21:12
jwang - I'm not a harmonica fanatic, but Janis played one while Bobby sang the blues and Bob Dylan and Blues Traveler proved to me that it's not just for hobos on trains so congrats on keeping true to expression.

Don't forget Fingers Taylor!

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 22:36
Don't forget Fingers Taylor!Fingers is good and so is Toots Theilsman, but, baby, I'll tell you what. I'd give my left anything to play harp like Junior Wells.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2007, 22:49
TIPI, I saw your pic of you dancing. Awesome! The headpiece was pretty amazing. Definately come to the jam.

My jammin' days are over but thanks for the invite. One time I humped a heavy soprano saxophone out to Shining Rock wilderness and entered into a drum circle to play a Cream song, Sunshine of Your Love, and we rocked around the fire all night. The drums were blazing(it was a large group of Rainbow hippie types)and for a long while I was in the groove. The word "wailing" comes to mind.

But now my axe is a pack and the next gig is a long winter trip where the only music I want to hear will be at the base of a waterfall.

bfitz
01-05-2007, 05:22
Yeah, we're not having a drum circle at Rocky Bald. We do have a pit with live rattlesnakes that we jump in and grab as many as we can and dance with them (I know I have pi--ed somebody off-I hope a lighti

Mosh pit! We'll play some of that acoustic slam-grass!

chicote
02-08-2007, 14:11
On March 30-April 1, I'll be camped at Rocky Bald (approx 124 miles from Springer) cookin' ham-n-eggs for thruhikers and anyone else who shows up. I'll have my guitar and flute and claves like last year. If you look at my pic of the base camp from last year, you'll see my guitar. You'll also see all the snow which is why no one jammed last year. It was too d----- cold! If you're droppin' by this year we'll jam if the weather is better. BTW, I like your philosophy about hiking and letting other people HYOH.

I don't think I'll be able to cover 124 miles in 6 days — definitely not from the start! I'd still love to play that berimbau of yours though. Maybe we could hook up later.

1azarus
02-08-2007, 14:28
I've long been tempted to carry a "flea" -- a soprano (small!!!) sized American made ukulele, which weighs less than 3 pounds, and is mostly made of plastic, so it would take well to the woods. honest, you guitarists, it sounds really charming... and with only four strings, it is pretty easy to play... check out fleamarketmusic.com

WandererKMK
02-08-2007, 17:49
I am a blues vocalist - have voice, will travel.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2007, 20:56
I am a blues vocalist - have voice, will travel.You have a good blues name. It doesn't have a dead president's name combined with some infirmity, such as Blind Willie Kennedy or whatever, but it will do. The Question is...can a thru-hiker truly have the blues for very long (or more often than not)? I mean, like if you spill your ramen noodles on your bare foot right after heating them up....you might have the blues. Or if you hike all day in the freezing snow and you get to the shelter at 8:00 and someone has their tent and gear all over the place drying.....you might have the blues. The next question is....what would be a good AT blues death? Freezing in Muskrat Creek Shelter in GA in Feb.? Is Muskrat Creek Shelter even in GA?

NINpigNIN
02-08-2007, 22:03
Muskrat Creek Shelter I think is right at the north end of GA, just a couple miles before the NC border.

A few months ago I found someone's blog (including photos) of their thru hike carrying a TUBA. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

WandererKMK
02-09-2007, 13:45
Grayblazer

You are right - I need a name change - Gimpy McGee, the Irish Blues limping hiker/singer - I always wanted to be something/something...

If I am not blue enough to sing the blues, I am sure my knees will be, or my toes, or my shoulders or my blisters (Blister Blues - I'm going to make up a song with that title while I am on the trail) - somewhere SOMTHING on me will be singing the blues!

I saw many pic of the tuba guy - love him. Luckily vocal chords are much lighter - HEY Gimpy McGee, the Irish, Limping, LIGHT WEIGHT singer/hiker...okay back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Skipper the Eyechild
02-10-2007, 18:03
Did you know that the Brits call a harmonica a "Gob-Iron"

Eh? I fear the subtle poetry of my native tongue has been slightly underestimated...

Although it can be called a "mouth-organ", which I concede is not fully imbued with lyrical ambiguity. As a music lover it would be nice to be entertained by such things from time to time, though.

Bravo
02-10-2007, 18:47
Although it can be called a "mouth-organ",

Man that's just too easy. I won't even start.:D

storys
02-12-2007, 14:56
i'm thinking of bringing a guitar along.
anyone know of a lightweight backpacking guitar?

Gray Blazer
02-12-2007, 15:09
i'm thinking of bringing a guitar along.
anyone know of a lightweight backpacking guitar?
There is like 34 martin backpacking guitars listed on ebay right now. I just googled martin backpacking guitar and there they were.