PDA

View Full Version : Quick & Smelly Trips into Town

guthook
01-04-2007, 09:14
While all of the hostels and lodgings in trail towns sound like tons of fun, I'm probably going to need to cut down on costs (and time) while I'm heading north this spring. I've heard it's entirely possible to hitch a ride into town, hit up the post office and food store, then hitch back to the trail and keep going all within the space of a few hours.

My question is in regards to smelling bad for the locals. If I make a quick trip into town just to resupply and keep going, is there any opportunity (or need) for a quick shower, too? I'd hate to pass through town leaving a wake of gagging locals in my path. It seems somewhat rude to stink the place up and leave, but if I'm in a hurry I'm not sure what I should plan.

Any thoughts?

rafe
01-04-2007, 09:20
My question is in regards to smelling bad for the locals. If I make a quick trip into town just to resupply and keep going, is there any opportunity (or need) for a quick shower, too? I'd hate to pass through town leaving a wake of gagging locals in my path. It seems somewhat rude to stink the place up and leave, but if I'm in a hurry I'm not sure what I should plan.

Not too many shower-ops that I've found. I've been perusing the ALDHA guide for my next section. Seems there's an occasional campground, not too far from the trail, with non-guest showers. But these are the exception, not the rule. On last years' hike I managed to mooch a shower & laundry, courtesy of the mayor of Unionville, NY. :)

MOWGLI
01-04-2007, 09:24
A hostel will probably allow you to pay for a shower only, but what good is a shower if you don't clean your clothes?

Warm rains and swimming holes can go a long way to help you clean up too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 09:25
A restroom with hot running water and a drain in the middle of the floor is a beautiful thing when one needs to engage in a bit of personal hygiene.

Johnny Swank
01-04-2007, 09:38
Most hostels will probably do the shower-only option, and you can always wash up before going into town with some creek water (no soap). Once the weather warms up, you can easily take a zero (or nearo) just outside of town and take a spongebath, do laundry, etc.

Weathercarrot has an article in the Articles section about inexpensive ideas, and I've got on called Thru-hiking on the Cheap (http://sourcetosea.net/Articles/articles/thru-hiking-cheap.html) on our website and here at whiteblaze as well.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 09:41
If I'm to the point that I can't even stand myself and I'm doing a quick resupply and restaurant stop, I'll take a bandana bath then rinse out my shirt in a silnylon water bag before I hitch a ride to town. It makes a world of difference. :)

I did that a lot in '05.

tiamalle
01-04-2007, 09:59
While all of the hostels and lodgings in trail towns sound like tons of fun, I'm probably going to need to cut down on costs (and time) while I'm heading north this spring. I've heard it's entirely possible to hitch a ride into town, hit up the post office and food store, then hitch back to the trail and keep going all within the space of a few hours.

Any thoughts?Guthook,
I can't speak much for a lot of places,but as you and other hikers are passing thru Franklin I run a free daily bus service from Winding Stair,Wallace and Rock Gaps to Franklin and back each morning around 8am
to 8:30 am.Again between 10 ish am an 12 to 1 around lunch.The 1st I do on time and the 2nd & 3rd to fit in hiker needs.This is daily in March and April and it is absolutly free.
If you want to check my web site I list other places and town conviences in the south.I don't know a lot about up north because I never hiked in the north and I hear some are a bit more pricy there.I list things in the north at every trail crossing but I can't recommend them.
I am also considering opening a place for hikers to shower as they are in Franklin.If I can help you as you are coming into our area (828) 524-4403

hammock engineer
01-04-2007, 13:54
This is the reason I switched from regular synethic shirts to smartwool. I little more pricey (although I got mine cheaper through SAC deals), but they do not hold smells. My old synethic shirts about knock me over after a couple days.

the_iceman
01-04-2007, 18:44
Carry a small pack of wet ones and a "town shirt".A T-shirt like EMS techwick only weighs a few onces. Grunge out the pits and other critical places with the wipes, throw on the shirt and add a BIG :D smile. No worries man.

Remeber to take off the shirt as soon as you clear town before it takes on your nasty body odor.;)

MOWGLI
01-04-2007, 18:50
This is the reason I switched from regular synethic shirts to smartwool. I little more pricey (although I got mine cheaper through SAC deals), but they do not hold smells.

Even after 1000 or 1500 miles? :-? I donno. I'm from Missouri when it comes to that one.

Minerva
01-04-2007, 19:29
I'll take a bandana bath then rinse out my shirt in a silnylon water bag before I hitch a ride to town. It makes a world of difference. :) I did that a lot in '05.

Walking behind you for several hundred miles as you hobbled along the Trail this past summer I was ever so grateful when you FINALLY threw out that rotten, moldy, disgusting, nasty, foul, gaggy, smelling Frogg Togg raincoat and replaced it with a new one. Then I could finally enjoy the smell of rain in the forest once again. AHHHHHH Downy fresh.

Why did you reserve this gem about washing for last year? It would have worked this year too ya know.
Blue in the Face Yolanda :eek:

Appalachian Tater
01-04-2007, 19:47
There's a page in the back of the ALDHA guide with a list of places to take showers on the cheap.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 20:02
Walking behind you for several hundred miles as you hobbled along the Trail this past summer I was ever so grateful when you FINALLY threw out that rotten, moldy, disgusting, nasty, foul, gaggy, smelling Frogg Togg raincoat and replaced it with a new one. Then I could finally enjoy the smell of rain in the forest once again. AHHHHHH Downy fresh.

Why did you reserve this gem about washing for last year? It would have worked this year too ya know.
Blue in the Face Yolanda :eek:

Huh??? :confused: My old Frogg Togg had an odor???:confused: .......and I thought you just had sinus problems when I looked back at you and saw the red eyes and runny nose. :)

Minerva
01-04-2007, 20:44
Appalachian Tater,
Glad you pointed this out and the 2007 Companion has this same listing of places to shower along the Trail.

Mrs "Yolanda" Gorp

Trillium
01-04-2007, 23:48
Even after 1000 or 1500 miles? :-? I donno. I'm from Missouri when it comes to that one.I think that he presumes that one would be doing laundry every now and then, which presumably would be before 1k miles.

hammock engineer
01-05-2007, 00:55
Even after 1000 or 1500 miles? :-? I donno. I'm from Missouri when it comes to that one.

I am curious about that myself. I have 4 different ones incase I need to swap one out. I'll post a review on these after I get back this fall.

Alligator
01-05-2007, 01:32
I have a soda cap with small holes drilled in it that makes for a moderately decent shower when placed onto my platypus. It'll move your funk status from Day 5 to about Day 1 or 2.