PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek Rain Gear

Dingus Khan
01-04-2007, 11:34
Hey All!

I apologize if this is a repost. :rolleyes:

In the never ending search for the ultimate in rain gear I came across this:

--- (for whatever reason I am unable to post the link - go to www.dupont2.com and navigate to the tyvek/proshield page, it is easy to find and the product specs are all there)

I have heard people mentioning tyvek products, but I am would like to hear specific do's and don'ts from those who have actually used them. Reason being, if I had all the money in the world I would simply buy the Packa from 1.2 oz silnylon, but I could buy about 15 tyveks for the same price. Here are some specs on the tyvek material and the different grades, for those who have not surfed their site: (moisture vapor transmission rate = mvtr)

Tyvek : 1.2oz/y2, mvtr - not listed, thickness - 5.4mils
proshield nex gen : 1.8oz, 1650, 10 mils
proshield 1 : 1.8, 2266, 12 mils
proshield 2 : 1.8 1867, 10Note the thickest protection is also the fastest wicking.
I do not know what a mil is, simply haven't looked it up yet, but it is probably NOT millimeters seeing as how that would make the Pro 1 pretty darn thick for that weight!!

Ideally I would like to have a completely waterproof barrier like those horrendously heavy PVC lined ponchos but apparently in previous threads someone mentioned that these are just that; completely water proof.

Does anyone have any experience using this product? I posted what looked like a pack model but do not know if I could fit my 50 litre bag underneath. Doesn't matter though, I am more interested in the product than the model.

As for durability, I believe your stuff lasts as long as you want them to. Silnylon will meet it's maker just as will a frogg toggs-type material when it meets a sharp branch at 4 mph with 180lbs of momentum... (not including pack weight).

Working as an RN in an acute care hospital, I have access to all sorts of protective equipement and have looked for Tyvek surgical gowns but have not found any that appear to be Tyvek.

I have also considered buying the wholesale Tyvek and making a custom fit poncho but do not know if what Home Crapot sells is adequate. I will be going there today :)

Any tips, suggestions or name calling is welcome! I wish I could as helpful as you guys have been in these posts, I am way behind on the learning curve (still using those emergency ponchos from walley world - this last one has lasted me 3 years!! but they are such a piece of crap... :)

thanks

Dingus Khan
01-04-2007, 11:52
Are these prices to good to be true? Or is this stuff just not what I think it is?

http://www.globalprotectionllc.com/products/ProductDetails.asp?M=DuPont&C=&p=ProShield_NexGen_Coverall_-_Serged_Seam_-_NG127S

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-04-2007, 16:10
Are these prices to good to be true? Or is this stuff just not what I think it is?

http://www.globalprotectionllc.com/products/ProductDetails.asp?M=DuPont&C=&p=ProShield_NexGen_Coverall_-_Serged_Seam_-_NG127S

The main problem with stuff like that is that it's often sewn thru for the seams, so they won't hold up. That having been said, tyvek jackets make for nice windbreakers / protection from light rain (I have a lab coat that is actually pretty useful... I stood in the shower and didn't get wet... well my feet did, but not where the tyvek was blocking).

IMO, a tyvek jacket paired with a poncho would make great protection and get around the typical "blown rain gets under the poncho" scenario with not much weight and surprisingly good breathability.

Lanthar Mandragoran
01-04-2007, 16:10
Note, by "won't hold up" I mean will leak through the seams not that they'll break.

Salted Slug
01-20-2007, 20:22
I've used a Tyvek suit (full-body coveralls), commonly used in environmental clean-up, to slip on first thing in the morning. It works great, holds in lots of body heat. Being a full body suit, it does draw attention in camp, but it has a full-length nylon zipper down the front, elastic cuffs, no collar. I suppose you could cut it off at the waist and use it as a jacket, and if your handy with zippers you could even salvage that too. I never have weighed it, but I know it is very very light, and I would estimate it costs less than $10/each, and come in various sizes. If interested, google for environmental supply companies in your area.

Salted Slug
01-20-2007, 20:24
Here is a company that sells a full-line of Tyvek clothing ....

www.protectiveclothing.biz (http://www.protectiveclothing.biz)