PDA

View Full Version : Equinox Sleeping Bag Cover

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 12:04
Been toying with the idea of getting something to bump the comfort rating of my old faithful REI SubKilo bag and prevent moisture transfer from the walls of my tent. Found this product and wondered if it might be a possible alternative.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bivydetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EQ3000

Anyone out there who's used it and has some feedback.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Ewker
01-04-2007, 12:19
isn't that more of a bivy than a cover?

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 12:23
isn't that more of a bivy than a cover?

==================================

They use the word "bivy" in the product description but at 6.5 oz and given its construction I personally wouldn't classify it as a complete bivy shelter.

I would use it inside a tent as a sleeping bag cover.

Anyone else who has used this product ??

'Slogger

Ewker
01-04-2007, 12:40
I hit send to soon (got to donate so I can edit). I agree no way I would want that as my only shelter.

bigcranky
01-04-2007, 13:56
IIRC this was the best lightweight *non-waterproof* bivy in the recent review on backpackinglight. (Though they don't review their own products, so one of theirs might be comparable.) These bivvies are intended to be used under a tarp in bad weather, and prevent splashes and condensation from wetting your bag. They can also keep the bugs off if they have some netting over the face.

I haven't used the Equinox version, but I have an old Mountain Hardwear breathable (non-waterproof) bivy, and love it. I am going to make a new one out of lighter fabrics as my winter project.

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 14:09
[quote=bigcranky;296555]IIRC this was the best lightweight *non-waterproof* bivy in the recent review on backpackinglight. (Though they don't review their own products, so one of theirs might be comparable.) These bivvies are intended to be used under a tarp in bad weather, and prevent splashes and condensation from wetting your bag.

============================

Yeah ...I guess something like is is a bit of overkill if you are using a tent with a floor. Then again though, if it adds a little warmth to your bag and keeps the condensation off of it ...

'Slogger

bigcranky
01-04-2007, 14:35
Right, it might be overkill in a tent. But, you could use it in a shelter or out under the stars (just not when it's raining).

Hana_Hanger
01-04-2007, 15:09
I don't have any feedback...yet hat is what I am thinking of doing. In fact I just bought some Rip-Stop Nylon from a member here in WB and sewing up a simple bag to help protect a new down bag. At only 6.5 oz I would think it is a great way to protect your investment. As well as I am hoping it will add some degrees of warmth to another sleeping bag.

hammock engineer
01-04-2007, 15:34
I don't have any feedback...yet hat is what I am thinking of doing. In fact I just bought some Rip-Stop Nylon from a member here in WB and sewing up a simple bag to help protect a new down bag. At only 6.5 oz I would think it is a great way to protect your investment. As well as I am hoping it will add some degrees of warmth to another sleeping bag.

I think that will add some warmth. One thing to consider is that your body gives off mositure just like your breath. If your nylon cover is not breathable you will still get condensation inside the cover. Even if your head is sticking out.

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 15:36
I think that will add some warmth. One thing to consider is that your body gives off mositure just like your breath. If your nylon cover is not breathable you will still get condensation inside the cover. Even if your head is sticking out.

====================================

That was/is a concern of mine. The Equinox model lists the top surface of the sack as being breatheable though.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-04-2007, 15:46

That was/is a concern of mine. The Equinox model lists the top surface of the sack as being breatheable though.

'Slogger

If you can sew or know someone who does, try some cheap $1 a yard non coated ripstop from walmart. Probibly cost you all of $3 to try it out.

I have been biten by the DIY bug pretty hard so I tend to think along those lines.

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 15:53
If you can sew or know someone who does, try some cheap $1 a yard non coated ripstop from walmart. Probibly cost you all of $3 to try it out.

I have been biten by the DIY bug pretty hard so I tend to think along those lines.
===========================

You're right ...I probably should go the DIY route. Have done some sewing but not with silnylon. Although, I like the fact that the Equinox item has a waterproof undersurface material.

'Slogger

bulldog49
01-04-2007, 16:57
Seems to me this item was designed to be used with a floorless tarp. I've toyed with getting one to use in this manner but I'm concerned how breathable it is.

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 17:04
Seems to me this item was designed to be used with a floorless tarp. I've toyed with getting one to use in this manner but I'm concerned how breathable it is.

Well ...I went ahead and got one, so I'll let you know.

'Slogger

Cheesewhiz
01-04-2007, 18:39
Be prepared for serious condensation, in the foot box especially! I OWNED one, used it once and gave it to a friend and he used it once and gave it away and I believe it changed hands once more

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 18:55
Be prepared for serious condensation, in the foot box especially! I OWNED one, used it once and gave it to a friend and he used it once and gave it away and I believe it changed hands once more

================================

I wonder why ONLY in the foot area ?? Your feet sweat a lot normally ??

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-04-2007, 19:42

'Slogger'Slogger, I"ve got one of the old rectangular ones. I've played around using it with a 8' x 5' poncho as a tarp. I didn't have any noticable condensation problems so the upper half is breathable enough for me, anyway. The upper surface is DWR treated and seems pretty good, but I haven't had it out in a driving rain yet, either.

Two thoughts: condensation from perspiration might be more of a problem in a shelter, presuming you're planning on using it inside the SMD Lunar you've mentioned previously. Next, silnylon-on-silnylon sounds like you could be doing the "Slip 'Slogger" act again, if you're gonna use that in the Lunar. Might want to consider how you're going to handle that issue. Maybe some velcro or stripes of sealer?

On the plus side, if you do happen to do the Slip 'Slogger act you do have that nifty theme song that Hammerhead wrote!

That said, I have used the Equinox bivy a few times and am generally pleased with it. The rectangular one easily accomodates the pad inside the bivy, and as Bigcranky mentioned it would be great in a shelter.

Haven't played with that bivy/poncho rig since I bought a SMD Lunar, but I'm toying with trying it out again. I'm still fooling around trying to get a 2,000 CI daypack to work out for up to five days in mild weather. I'm pretty sure the bivy/poncho rig is going to be part of the system if I ever get it worked out.

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 19:49
'Slogger, I"ve got one of the old rectangular ones. I've played around using it with a 8' x 5' poncho as a tarp. I didn't have any noticable condensation problems so the upper half is breathable enough for me, anyway. The upper surface is DWR treated and seems pretty good, but I haven't had it out in a driving rain yet, either.

Two thoughts: condensation from perspiration might be more of a problem in a shelter, presuming you're planning on using it inside the SMD Lunar you've mentioned previously. Next, silnylon-on-silnylon sounds like you could be doing the "Slip 'Slogger" act again, if you're gonna use that in the Lunar. Might want to consider how you're going to handle that issue. Maybe some velcro or stripes of sealer?

On the plus side, if you do happen to do the Slip 'Slogger act you do have that nifty theme song that Hammerhead wrote!

That said, I have used the Equinox bivy a few times and am generally pleased with it. The rectangular one easily accomodates the pad inside the bivy, and as Bigcranky mentioned it would be great in a shelter.

Haven't played with that bivy/poncho rig since I bought a SMD Lunar, but I'm toying with trying it out again. I'm still fooling around trying to get a 2,000 CI daypack to work out for up to five days in mild weather. I'm pretty sure the bivy/poncho rig is going to be part of the system if I ever get it worked out.

Been thinking about it for a few reasons ...

- keeping my sleeping bag from getting condenation from the tent

- adding warmth to my sleeping bag without a liner

- using it with a tarp on the PCT

Glad to hear you had decent results with it. The new one is mummy style and the dimension seem to be right. As far as the silnylon on silnylon thing goes ...I'll just have to wait and see. I use a 3/4 thermarest and I've already treated the floor of the tent. So hopefully there won't be too much SlipSlogging ...

'Slogger

Two Speed
01-04-2007, 19:57
From the little I know a tarp/bivy rig ought to be the bomb on the PCT. Maybe we can get Sly or Mags to give us their take.

Johnny Swank
01-04-2007, 20:17
If I ever get my butt over to the PCT, I'm going to do the poncho/bivy thing.

copythat
01-04-2007, 21:32

own one. yes, under a plain ol' tarp, or in a shelter/lean-to (uh oh ... as long as you don't take a space reserved for a member of the ruling party) ... keeps off light rain fine and can add some warmth, too. no condensation woes for me, or maybe i just didn't notice?

hopefulhiker
01-05-2007, 11:48
I used something like it. It was waterproof on the bottom, nylon on the top. I had big condensation problems with it.....

capoken
01-11-2007, 02:11
I have one and it is always on my 3 season gear list. I use it with a tarp and it takes the worry out of rain splashing in. Last time I used it there was heavy rain and quite a bit of rain came under my tarp due to wind. It kept my sleeping bag dry. THe DWR top fabric is ultra water resistent and I never had a condensation issue. I don't think it adds much warmth but it is perfect for use with a tarp.

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 10:21
I started this thread to get some user feedback and it sounds like experience is mixed. I went ahead and ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Light and packs small. Will probably fit in the stuff sack with my sleeping bag. I can see where it will be a welcome addition to my cold weather gear package. Probably not something I'd carry on the AT, other than in the beginning and end of the hike due to the colder weather.

Where I really see this bivy paying dividends is on my upcoming PCT hike. Glad I got it and looking forward to using it.

Thanks for all the feedback/input !!

'Slogger

bulldog49
01-11-2007, 11:50
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll get one to use with my ID Silshelter tarp.

bulldog49
01-11-2007, 11:58
Is the zipper located on the top of the sack or to the left or right side?

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 12:51
Is the zipper located on the top of the sack or to the left or right side?

Zipper is on the left (if you're laying on your back in the bivy). There is also a drawcord with barrel lock on both sides of of the curved hood end for closure around your sleeping bag.

'Slogger

bulldog49
01-11-2007, 15:37
So using it with a sleeping bag that has a right zipper could pose a problem getting in and out of it.

Footslogger
01-11-2007, 15:45
So using it with a sleeping bag that has a right zipper could pose a problem getting in and out of it.

Not really. Tried that last night, since my bag is a right zip also. The top end of the bivy is pretty generous (if you let out the cord loop). I was able to unzip my sleeping bag while inside the bivy and then just push the bag aside while I reached up for the bivy zipper.

'Slogger

bulldog49
01-11-2007, 16:46
Thanks for the info, Slogger. I will be interested to hear how it performs for you out on the trail.

Two Speed
01-11-2007, 19:11
The zipper is the one minor gripe I've got. On my old rectangular model it's a half zip. Not a big deal, but I'm used to being able to unzip my sleeping bag all the way to the foot. For some reason not being able to do that with the Equinox bivy bothers me a little.