PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic for 2007

Bare Bear
01-04-2007, 13:55
Hello everyone and congratulations to all of you of the Class Of 2006.
I am planning to do some Trail Magic at Stecoah Gap at the NC 143 crossing from April 1 thru April 15, 2007. Stop by if you of the Class of 2006 are out hiking the AT or join me for a day or two weeks. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome although :welcome the list is
getting quite extensive already. Best to all in 2007

Bare Bear Fl-Ga-Me 06

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 14:59
Hello everyone and congratulations to all of you of the Class Of 2006.
I am planning to do some Trail Magic at Stecoah Gap at the NC 143 crossing from April 1 thru April 15, 2007. Stop by if you of the Class of 2006 are out hiking the AT or join me for a day or two weeks. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome although :welcome the list is
getting quite extensive already. Best to all in 2007

Bare Bear Fl-Ga-Me 06

If my memory is correct, I believe the 1st of April is the day Hopeful '03 and his wife sets up at Stecoah Gap for his birthday and feeds hikers coming through. He ended up feeding about 50 nobo's last year.

Knowing Hopeful, he'll welcome the company. :)

I see you're from the town I was raised in. I know of a couple other thru hikers from Clearwater too.

Have fun and maybe I'll get a chance to swing by and help. :)

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 15:23
I graduated from Clearwater High when there was only one highschool in town. I'd join you, but, I'm in charge of the 2nd annual Rocky Bald hikerfeed around the same date.

StarLyte
01-04-2007, 15:54
Hey Bare Bear......if I were closer, I would most definitely give you a hand--good luck.

TJ aka Teej
01-04-2007, 16:00
Hi there Bare Bear! A two week trail magic trip sounds like a great vacation. I might come by just to hear about your FL>GA>ME hike!

RAT
01-04-2007, 20:39
You will probly run into OX doing some magic and "coddling hikers" in that area around that time as well. Will be his Pre Brown Gap magic (since he now does BG instead of me as I retired after 14 yrs)

RAT

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 20:46
You will probly run into OX doing some magic and "coddling hikers" in that area around that time as well. Will be his Pre Brown Gap magic (since he now does BG instead of me as I retired after 14 yrs)

RAT

Yeah, OX and Pebbles were there last year too. :)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2007, 20:52
REAL trail magic is gone these days. It's all pre-planned huge feeds.

stumpknocker
01-04-2007, 20:55
REAL trail magic is gone these days. It's all pre-planned huge feeds.

That what this is....a pre-planned huge feed for the hikers coming through. :)

RAT
01-04-2007, 20:56
Yeah, that's one reason why I stopped doing BG and went back to the olden ways of unplanned sporratic surprise magic. (like that time Sam and I ran into you and the others north of Jerry Cabin) lol I have a pic of that btw.

RAT

Gray Blazer
01-04-2007, 21:01
Yeah, that's one reason why I stopped doing BG and went back to the olden ways of unplanned sporratic surprise magic. (like that time Sam and I ran into you and the others north of Jerry Cabin) lol I have a pic of that btw.

RATThat sounds like a good place to pull something like that off. Did you see a lot of thrus?

Bare Bear
01-05-2007, 12:36
I was Clearwater HS Class of 1970 at the crimson and gray. Old but still know that almamater by heart, isn't that sad. I agree that sudden surprise TM is best but I plan on this as I had about dropped when I got to Stecoah Gap and went three more miles without water and that made me want to go back in 07. Besides I thought it would be nice to see the 06 gang and a few have already said they plan on coming by. I hope to get the churches nearby involved as they could do some shuttles and showers perhaps and take hikers in for church services as well for those that want to go. Anyone know who to contact? I drove up during Thanksgiving but none had phone numbers on their signs etc. I have spoken to the lady at the little general store three miles away and they can $$$ provide some stuff but mostly I plan on loading up the RV trailer and parking it there. Anyone know the local ranger so that I could park it off the fire road? The paved area there is wide enough IF it isn't filled with day trippers cars. It will take some doing to set it all up and that is why the leeway now..................planning is everything and I remember when 'weight is everything'.
Stumpy, you and I have met at FT meetings by the way.

Gray Blazer
01-05-2007, 12:40
CHS '72... What Jr. High?

stumpknocker
01-05-2007, 12:43
CHS '72... What Jr. High?

I just sent Bare Bear a PM....'70 was when I was there. :)

chelko
01-05-2007, 17:50
I planned on being in the Nantahalas around then, I would love to know more so I could pitch in.

Trillium
01-05-2007, 21:10
I worked at the Kapok Tree Inn during April & May 1973. had the sophomore blues so dropped out and came down. fun times :banana returned to school in the fall.

RAT
01-05-2007, 21:26
That sounds like a good place to pull something like that off. Did you see a lot of thrus?

Oyeah, plenty. I have pics of it somewhere. Speaking of which I need to scan a few more and create a gallery here.

RAT

Gray Blazer
01-05-2007, 22:20
I worked at the Kapok Tree Inn during April & May 1973. had the sophomore blues so dropped out and came down. fun times :banana returned to school in the fall.Better there than Hooter's. All those years of driving by on 60 and seeing that owl and thinking it was just a dark and danky bar.:eek:

Bare Bear
01-06-2007, 10:26
This is not the CHS thread :)

I am planning to just camp for the two weeks and first of all have plenty of clean fresh water so hikers can avoid that 400 yard downhill water run. I also plan on providing some meals, fruit, the usuall hiker feeds stuff, spagetti dinner (Sorry Baltimore Jack it will NOT be your version :) veggie and hamburgers and dogs, salads, etc. Ice cream is tough because of the storage for that long of a deal. I have experimented and dry ice even runs out in two weeks.
I am not going to try to provide showers unless I can get some of the locals involved. Some shuttle helpers would be nice. Since I am taking the RV trailer I figure I will be busy there at the camp site and it will be difficult to give 24 hour service so I definitely need some shuttle help for those driving a open bed pick up is best or a van. Anyone live near there that is willing to help get that going? Willow lives around Asheville, NC but that is still a hike to Stecoah.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2007, 19:21
We should get together (and possibly shuttle some hikers) and go to Ron Haven's April Fool's Bash in Franklin.

Bare Bear
01-10-2007, 10:33
Willow AT06 is helping get some things set up with churches for showers, services, too so I most sincerely appreciate that.

I haven't heard from anyone with a pick up or van that is willing to help with shuttles.

Food lists are complete and I have a BUY list for when I get up there.

I will be going up to Murphy, NC for a day or two and will see what else I can get done then as far as locals.

Bare Bear
02-13-2007, 20:51
Thanks those that have contacted me and helped. I am still trying to work out details with the local rangers and with a local Port-a-john company but the plan is to be in place from April 1 thru 15. Stecoah Gap at NC 143.

I hope those who hiked in 2006 especially will stop by if at all possible. Yes the Bears Den (RV Trailer) will be there but is not open to the public per se. :()