PDA

View Full Version : Stay dry

SillyGirl
01-04-2007, 14:07
Okay, so I searched the threads on pack covers and got mostly things regarding people who use trash bags as liners as opposed to covers. I wanted to have a pack cover but I read that I should get one that does not have a bottom so that the rain does not soak down my back and into the bottom of the cover. Has anyone found a cover like this? what pack covers have you used that have worked?

Thanks!:sun

Footslogger
01-04-2007, 14:13
I use a silnylon one from Equinox. Doesn't have any drain holes in the bottom and that's never been a problem. Fits tightly around my pack so very little rain actually gets through to collect in the bottom. If that ever did become a problem I could easily add a couple grommets as drain holes.

Pack covers only work to a point ...regardless if they have drain holes in the bottom or not. Driving rain still gets down between your pack and your back and eventually is going to soak in/through. For that reason, many hikers (myself included) use a plastic trash compactor bag as a pack liner. The outer bag can get wet but the contents stay dry.

'Slogger

sparky2000
01-04-2007, 14:15
The options of rain protection are astounding - pounds and pounds of options to do what? Get out of the rain? I've simplified the mess by enjoying a full size ultralite poncho for backpackers that also serves as a tarp.

bigcranky
01-04-2007, 14:35
Sparky has a point. The biggest problem with pack covers is the huge hole between your pack and your back. Covers only cover the front of the pack -- water runs down between your back and the pack and soaks in there. A poncho is one solution. Using a plastic trash bag inside as a liner is also a good idea, even with a pack cover. No matter what else I do, I always make sure my sleeping bag is as protected as I can make it inside my pack.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2007, 14:42
I use a poncho and keep my quilt in a trash compactor bag or a cooking bag (big turkey size)

jlb2012
01-04-2007, 14:47
Sparky has a point. The biggest problem with pack covers is the huge hole between your pack and your back. Covers only cover the front of the pack -- water runs down between your back and the pack and soaks in there. A poncho is one solution. Using a plastic trash bag inside as a liner is also a good idea, even with a pack cover. No matter what else I do, I always make sure my sleeping bag is as protected as I can make it inside my pack.

A Packa works quite well in solving this problem also.

Kerosene
01-04-2007, 15:19
I concur with HOI, check out the Packa (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.thepacka.com) if you are considering the poncho route.

brian
01-04-2007, 15:34
I use a pack cover combined with an umbrella (in all but the windiest conditions, <20mph). The umbrella eliminates that gab between your back and the pack cover, keeing everything dry. I've used it sucessfully in a wide variety of rain conditions, with the raincoat in the pack in case it gets *really* windy.

Brian

jlb2012
01-04-2007, 15:39
A tyvek poncho/tarp product that looks to have good coverage: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tyvek-Shelter-Poncho-Combo-long-only-1-lb_W0QQitemZ270074762974QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36118QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No knowledge of this particular product other than it was mentioned over in Hammock Forums

hammock engineer
01-04-2007, 15:40
This may be a little off topic, but how many of you do not use a pack cover? I am in the process of upgrading to a gear skin. I do not like umbrellas or pounchos. Thee packa is a good idea, just not for me right now.

All my stuff is in waterproof stuff sacks, but I like a second layer of protection. I am thinking a pack liner or trash compacter bag.

jlb2012
01-04-2007, 15:46
better link : http://tinyurl.com/ylmvgp

wrt not using a pack cover - until I got the Packa I used trash bags with the Gearskin - a bit awkward getting the air out but they worked OK - usually the trash bags got err trashed after a few days - sometimes an application of duct tape extended their life a while - here is a picture of me using the Gearskin with the trash bags: http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/bi3k35p6otd5.php

TJ aka Teej
01-04-2007, 15:54
I use a cheap blue pack cover from Camp-mor that I've tailored with duct-tape to snug it up and a garbage bag liner in the main compartment and ziplocks in the smaller ones. Nothing seems to keep your back dry, even with a rain jacket the hood ends up full of water unless you wear it all the time. Some of the biggest grins I've ever seen on the trail were worn by a pack of hikers who weren't wearing much else at all during a downpour. I think maybe they had the right idea!

saimyoji
01-04-2007, 16:56
Packa.

www.thepacka.com

Johnny Swank
01-04-2007, 17:36
I've sewn a gearskin for myself and my sweetie. We use pneumo bags from Pacific Outdoor Equiptment for the critical stuff, and I'm probably going to bite the bullet and pick up a couple of their 35 liter ones to replace our big sil-nylon bags. Our packs weigh less than a pound a piece, so 9-12 oz carried for absolute bomber protection is no big deal.

bfitz
01-05-2007, 06:00
I use both a pack cover and line my pack with a trash bag. Sometimes you fall down into a puddle. I also seal essential dry stuff in additional waterproofing like ziplocs etc. There is no complete immunity to unwanted wetness.

Furlough
01-05-2007, 06:25
This may be a little off topic, but how many of you do not use a pack cover? I am in the process of upgrading to a gear skin. I do not like umbrellas or pounchos. Thee packa is a good idea, just not for me right now.

All my stuff is in waterproof stuff sacks, but I like a second layer of protection. I am thinking a pack liner or trash compacter bag.

Hammock Engineer

FWIW - I do not use either a pack cover, umbrella or poncho. Like you I do use waterproof(repellent) stuff sacks, and always put my sleeping bag in a seperate trash bag (generally a lawn/leaf bag - a bit heavier but more durable than your standard trash bag) . While I have not yet had the pleasure of a thru hike this method has worked well for me for quite a few years.

Furlough

Pokey2006
01-05-2007, 06:32
I started out trying to get by without a pack cover, but needed to pick one up pretty early on. $20 and it worked the balls, so no need for anything expensive and fancy.

For added measure, try just the bottom piece of a large trash bag wrapped around your sleeping bag inside the pack. Other stuff might have gotten damp, even with the pack cover, but the sleeping bag never got wet when I also used the trash bag. You can stuff your thermals in the trash bag, too, if you're expecting a lot of heavy rain.

mrc237
01-05-2007, 06:45
I use a Packa, but old habits never die. I still carry an industrial weight trash bag and use it when necessary.

Jaybird
01-05-2007, 07:18
Okay, so I searched the threads on pack covers and got mostly things regarding people who use trash bags as liners as opposed to covers. I wanted to have a pack cover ..........Thanks!:sun

Gregory & Granite Gear make some "generic" rain covers for backpacks.
you could also ck REI (http://www.rei.com) or Campmor (http://www.campmor.com).:D

good luck with your hike!

Socrates
01-05-2007, 07:37
This is an interesting concern that I hadn't put much thought into. Though I haven't field tested it in days and days of rain, I've read that my Dana Design Glacier pack is highly water resistant. Between that, a pack cover, some spray and everything being in bags, I'm assuming that I'll be safe on my thru hike? Please correct me if this is wishful thinking.

rafe
01-05-2007, 07:40
This is an interesting concern that I hadn't put much thought into. Though I haven't field tested it in days and days of rain, I've read that my Dana Design Glacier pack is highly water resistant. Between that, a pack cover, some spray and everything being in bags, I'm assuming that I'll be safe on my thru hike? Please correct me if this is wishful thinking.

At the very least, I'd take extra care with the clothing and down sleeping bag. All it takes is a plastic bag (eg. kitchen-sized garbage bag) as a liner for whatever stuff sack you're otherwise using.

Appalachian Tater
01-05-2007, 08:41
Use the heavyweight garbage bag as a liner even if you have everything in hydrolite bags. Some people have good success with pack covers but I decided they're next to worthless unless there's so little rain it's not worth stopping to put it on anyway.

maxNcathy
01-05-2007, 12:25
Someone here wrote, " I know my pack is waterproof because there is still 4 inches of water in the bottom of it."

My plan is to use plastic bags inside the pack and put 3 drain holes in the bottom of my pack. Many experienced hikers have written that pack covers are not very effective.
I am quite new to backpacking so I have some testing to do before I go hiking north this March.

See you soon,

Sandalwood

DawnTreader
01-05-2007, 13:10
I use Just Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock. works great as a pack cover, gear hammock, laundry bag, water container/sink.. it can be found at JacksRBetter.com

saimyoji
01-05-2007, 13:41
SeatoSummit has a pretty good pack cover. I used one on a really bad windy-sideways-rain-y day. Pack stayed dry, my problem was my tent was totally f*ked up. I do individually trash bag each of my "compartments" as Sgt. Rock detailed some time ago: Use a different waterproof bag for each compartment: sleeping bag, clothes, kitchen, etc. Can be color coded for easy ID on whats what, but I can usually tell just by felling it. Trash bags are a great multi-use item.

Better to use the thicker/tougher ones on clothes, sleeping bag though. I find pushing and pulling them into/out of pack my fingers wear holes in them pretty quickly.

fiddlehead
01-05-2007, 16:16
The problem is pack weight! The pack gets heavy when it is soaking wet and a 3 day rain on the AT will get it heavy. So, you want to keep off what you can. To me, the Equinox one is not the driest because it (rain) get's down behind it fairly easy.
I sell one on my website that i designed (with some help) that i really believe is a great design, but i'm not going to put the link on here as i don't like advertising that way. We sell them at the gathering every year and it's best to see these things for yourself and how they fit your packi.
Sil nylon is the way to go IMO simply because of the weight. The garbage bag is probalby drier but also won't last long and a pain to put it on. Maybe the best solution is to make a couple out of garbage bags (with duct tape on any holes or stress areas) and TRY IT OUT! When you get what works best, make a few of them and add them to your drop box.
IT WILL RAIN!
You will get wet!
Your stuff will probably also get wet!
Keep it light and simple!
If you spend the time making your own and trying it out, you know you will have something to be proud of and work.

Pokey2006
01-12-2007, 06:38
No need for drainage holes in a pack cover. Just remember to dump out the bottom every so often. As you hike in the rain, reach back and flip the bottom of the cover upside down, releasing any water trapped inside. Otherwise, your sleeping bag (or whatever is packed at the bottom of you pack) will be sitting in a puddle of water.

It's easier to do this with a pack cover that is a little larger then the backpack.

And it is wishful thinking -- it won't just rain on you on the AT, it will POUR. Imagine a wall of water falling on constantly, day and night, for three days straight...and plan accordingly.

highway
01-12-2007, 07:14

The Gearskin is open on three sides so does not collect water, yet its contents stay dry without any cover above of around it. I have walked for days in the rain with the pack open to the elements and one method works well for me:
Put your items into about 4/5 separate silnylon bags. Two bags for sleeping bag (double bag & reverse it), one bag for clothes, one bag for food and one bag for miscellaneous 'possibles'. The silnylon is lighter than the cheap plastic grocery store bags and, once seam sealed, do not leak. Plus they last for years, even while exposed to abrasion while (partially)exposed on the inside of Gearskins. I do not want to carry the extra weight of a pack cover, I dont always use a poncho, so this is the best compromise i have found. They don't leak. Anything extra is extraneous.

Johnny Swank
01-12-2007, 09:03
I haven't had the same luck with sil-nylon, and no longer trust it as my sole waterproofing. Anything that's really important gets put in either a turkey roasting bag or compactor bag first, then gets stuffed into a sil-nylon sack.

Hate pack covers as well. Take a pack made out of lighter materials and don't worry about it getting wet. Our packs weight right at a pound each, and dry in no time.

I'm using a gearskin knock-off as well and agree that it rocks.

virtualfrog
01-12-2007, 12:06
Trash-compactor bags and stuff sacks on the inside of my pack. It rained every day that I hiked in Vt. last year, so I never bothered w/ trying fancy stuff - it was a forgone conclusion that I would be soaked. As long as my extra clothes and sleeping bag weren't, I was happy-pappy.

highway
01-13-2007, 08:01
I haven't had the same luck with sil-nylon, and no longer trust it as my sole waterproofing.

Thats is peculiar. Would you elaborate some?

Did you not seam seal the sewn parts? But, even if you did not seal them, I'd suspect that would only allow in droplets instead of torrents of moisture through the needle holes. The material is quite tough & does not even let air pass through it, as it is used for making parachutes, being strong enough to dangle your body and gear below it. Gearskin even offers a pack made from it, as well as others, too

Plus its amazingly light for what you get. The total weight for my 5 silnylon bags weighs less than the single heavy garbage bag i used to use, and I was always pushing holes through it, meaning I needed to carry a spare.

Just curious.

highway
01-13-2007, 08:20
Plus, the best reason for them could be, for some .....Quiet....they don't make the crinkly, crinkly, crinkly sound like many other bags do when one rummages inside them or fills them in the morning.

Johnny Swank
01-13-2007, 09:09
I've had failures from multiple bags, both homemade and purchased, from water making it's way through the fabric. Granted, some of those had several hundreds miles of use, so they have seen more use than what yours have.

It's been well-documented that silnylon has a low PSI rating but works fine for tarps, tarp tents, and the like (like the 2 I own). Where it doesn't shine is staying waterproof under pressure, because that's not what it's designed for.

Silnylon is great stuff, and I still use them for my stuff sacks, but anything that absolutely needs to stay dry gets put in either a mylar turkey bag or compactor bag first.

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 09:34
i bought a pack cover from the NOC back in 2001 and it has a hood extension design that allows the cover to protect the space between your pack and the back of your head. it is also long enough to stretch it up over your melon.. the cover is a dana design: killer b pack fly.... it is definitly heavier than a sil nylon cover but if your worried about the rain you may want to look into this 1..it packs to the sze of 2 sil nylon covers together.[3x5x3inches]

Peaks
01-13-2007, 10:09
I've had good luck with the Equinox sil-nylon pack cover. But it seems that after several days of wet weather, my gear gets wet from opening and closing the pack, and from putting damp things into the pack. I do try to keep things dry inside by using sil-nylon stuff sacks and plastic bags. And I keep my sleeping bag stuffed inside a sil nylon sack as well. Nothing is perfect, but I choose to do mulitiple layers to keep things as dry as possible.

Footslogger
01-13-2007, 12:07
I kinda think of pack covers, stuff sacks and even the liner bags as being more of a moisture retardant rather than an absolute waterproofing. As someone else already stated ...no matter what you use, if the rain is falling hard and steady sooner or later something is going to get wet. A seam is going to fail or stuff is just plain going to get wet as a result of opening/closing your pack to get stuff out.

I carry and use all 3 of the above and to date have never had any of my gear or clothing get "nasty" wet ...at tad damp maybe, but not soaked.

'Slogger

highway
01-23-2007, 18:38
I've had failures from multiple bags, both homemade and purchased, from water making it's way through the fabric. Granted, some of those had several hundreds miles of use, so they have seen more use than what yours have.

HHmmm , Why are you guessing here? From '04 to now, five states and two countries, open to the elements in a Gearskin, no leaks

It's been well-documented that silnylon has a low PSI rating but works fine for tarps, tarp tents, and the like (like the 2 I own). Where it doesn't shine is staying waterproof under pressure, because that's not what it's designed for.

Why mention pressure? How far under water are you going to dunk it? Even if you did you world really have to dunk it deep to wet it. Unless it has a hole, water want penetrate it.

Silnylon is great stuff, and I still use them for my stuff sacks, but anything that absolutely needs to stay dry gets put in either a mylar turkey bag or compactor bag first.

Listen, You really need to try some cheapy but quality ones from Campmor and you'll see

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2008, 23:57

No harm going out to the back yard and stuff the pack with Paper towels and a core of cotton towels. The Paper towel should be between the Cotton towels and the pack. Do not use tissues! They make a mess that cannot be cleaned out. Take the pack outside and garden hose it. I have never needed a pack cover and I don't believe in them. However I hate wet gear. I use a garbage bag method in keeping the stuff dry. I wear Polypro clothing appropriate for the climate. This allows me to stuff the non water proof boots into the pack and ford deep streams. Depending on the temps I "dry" out in 15 to 30 minutes.

Jim Adams
01-20-2008, 01:57
never had any problems with pack covers..mine have always worked fine.

DRAIN HOLES: any time you need to add drain holes in nylon, clamp the diameter size nail that you need in visegrips and heat it until it is hot enough to melt a hole then puncture the item with the hot nail...seals the nylon so that it won't fray and you dont need to sew or add weight. (years of canoeing teachs about draining!)

geek