PDA

View Full Version : flying with an alcohol stove

MedicineMan
06-22-2003, 07:05
Just flew out and back from Texas, had a Brasslite in my checked luggage---no questions asked, no notes on inspection. Of course no fuel was packed.
Bought a cooler in Walmart upon arrival in El Paso, flew it back home with a 6-pack of local brew, a ceramic lizard to hang on the wall, and various clothing articles padding the beer bottles...upon arrival in Knoxville and opening the cooler discovered a note that it had been opened and inspected.
In case you wanted to know..
ooooh, the Brasslite was inside a SnowPeak pot and cozy. and we flew American Airlines both ways.

DebW
06-22-2003, 12:24
Good to hear. Another option is to make an alcohol stove after reaching your destination. A very simple design that works OK and requires no tools is to line a 3oz tuna can or 1/2 a beer/soda can with a bit of fiberglass. Just carry a little fiberglass from your attic.

Toolshed
06-24-2003, 07:28
I made som e alcohol stoves (pespei can stoves) for some friends who flew out to the Grand Canyon last year. They packed them with some candle lantern candles and were never stopped or questioned. I like the idea of claiming the stove to be a newfangled method of holding a candle!!!
Rick